Airman and Family Readiness Center – Personal Financial Management
4 W. Castle Street
Bldg 2365
Fairchild AFB, WA 99011-8536

Phone 509-247-2246
Phone (DSN) 312-657-2246
Fax 509-247-5099
Fax (DSN) 312-657-5099

Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri – 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Thur 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Sat and Sun – closed
Holidays – closed

Email | Website | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance 

Individual and family appointments are available for personal financial management topics such as: developing a spending plan, getting out of debt, using PowerPay, Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), home buying, car buying, saving for college, preparing for baby, investing, saving for retirement, etc. 

Personal Financial Management classes are offered to all First Term Airmen at FTAC.  he cost of living in the Spokane area is lower than metropolitan areas such as D.C. and coastal areas. It is higher than that of installations located in a more rural community.  There is no Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) for this area. 

Temporary Lodging costs are $35 - $62, depending on availability (not on rank). Members in PCS status are usually authorized up to 10 days Temporary Lodging Allowance for CONUS to CONUS moves (both bases, not each), and up to 5 days for OCUNUS to CONUS moves. 

A one-bedroom apartment averages near $650.  The median purchase price for a home in nearby communities is betwen $112,000 and $180,000.  Average costs for temporary housing are at or above the per diem rate of $83. Average monthly utility payments (energy and water) are $150 - $350 (will be higher in winter than summer).

Minimum car insurance coverage requirements are a liability policy with limits of at least 25/50/10. This means: $25,000 for injury to another person; $50,000 for injuries to all other persons; $10,000 for damage to another's property.If you need emergency financial assistance while en route, you may contact the family center of ANY branch of the military.  Go to, or call, the nearest military installation. You will most likely reach the base operator, who can transfer you to the family center. If it is outside of duty hours, the operator may put you through to the Command Post.

If there is no military installation nearby, you may contact the American Red Cross. Other agencies which may assist include the local Salvation Army, local hospitals for a medical emergency (be sure to contact Tricare as soon as feasible), and American Automobile Association or other roadside assistance to which you subscribe. Many communities also have a 2-1-1 number to call for referral to many assistance agencies. 

If you will be delayed in getting to your new installation, be sure to contact your sponsor and/or your new supervisor.

Advanced Pay

The purpose of an advance of pay incident to PCS is to provide a Service Member with funds to meet the extraordinary expenses of a Government-ordered relocation.  An advance of pay shall not be authorized for the specific out-of-pocket expenses covered by advances of other pays and entitlements if such advances are used. The Service Member may be authorized an advance of pay to the extent that incurred or anticipated expenses exceed those covered by the following advances or reimbursements or are outside the scope of those entitlements:

a. Overseas station housing allowance;

b. Service Member and/or dependent travel allowances and per diem;

c. Dislocation allowance;

d. Basic allowance for quarters and/or variable housing allowance.

An advance of pay for a PCS move in the same geographic area of a Service Member's prior duty station, or place from which ordered to active duty, is only authorized when the Service Member moves his/her household effects at Government expense. Proof of HHG shipment is required before advance pay for PCS moves in the same geographic area is paid.

 An advance is not intended to provide funds for such items as investments, vacations, or the purchase of consumer goods that are not the result of direct expenses resulting from the Service Member's PCS orders. Except under extraordinary conditions, an advance pay must be repaid before an advance for a subsequent PCS may be paid.

Air Force members are authorized a PCS advance of up to 3 months of base pay minus normal deductions.  Commander's approval is required for advance pay in excess of one month, and for repayment requests exceeding 12 months. 

Note:  E4/SrA and below must have a Commander's approval for all PCS advance pay payments. 



Associated Links

Defense Travel Management Office /Per Diem
Per Diem official website with information on allowances, travel regulations and lodging websites.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
The authoritative source for pay issues.

Military Pay and Benefits
Ability to research your pay and benefits.

Financial Aid Assistance
Information on Scholarships, loans, savings, including calculators.

DoD Financial Readiness Campaign
Contains advice, guidance, calculators and tools for managing your money.

IRS Moving Regulations
Information on what expenses are tax deductible.

Air Force Compensation Center
Find Air Force compensation fact sheet and other information.

Military OneSource Financial Counseling
For short term financial problems, service families can obtain help from Military OneSource.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline