printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Installation Overview

 Route 11 gate


Carlisle Barracks is located in Cumberland County in South Central Pennsylvania, near the state capital at Harrisburg. Agriculture, tourism, industry and services all play vital roles in the local economies. Harrisburg, and nearby Hershey, combine to form a nucleus of culture, education, healthcare, and government. Carlisle Barracks, is one of the oldest active military posts in the United States. The cost of living in Cumberland County compares favorably to those of the metropolitan areas and adjacent counties. Housing costs run about fifteen percent less, health care costs are about five percent less, and grocery costs are about two percent less than surrounding areas. The base operator's phone number is 717-245-3131.


Carlisle Barracks is the second oldest army installation, dating back to 1745, when British soldiers created the "Camp near Carlisle." In December 1776, the Continental Congress authorized establishment of an ordnance center at Washingtonburg, as the Barracks was called during the Revolutionary War. Carlisle Barracks was the home of the Indian Industrial School where the All-American football halfback Jim Thorpe attended. Carlisle Barracks is now an Installation Management Agency installation supporting the U.S. Army War College, a field operating agency of the U.S. Army, which educates and prepares military officers for leadership at the highest levels. For more information, go to the Carlisle Barracks homepage.


The U.S. Army Garrison provides quality infrastructure and services to support Carlisle Barracks units' mission readiness and execution while enabling the well-being of the regional military community.

Population Served

Active Duty Military


Retired Military





Warrant Officers








Family Members




Appropriated Fund




Non-Appropriated Fund
















Base Transportation

No public transportation is provided on the installation.


Sponsorship is very important at Carlisle Barracks. The Human Resources Directorate provides the following support to the Carlisle Barracks community in the way of sponsorship: An initial email letter welcoming Students and Staff and Faculty to the installation (this email notification provides a Login and Password to access online instructions and information about the installation).  

If you are an inbound Army Soldier (officer, warrant officer or enlisted) and have not received a sponsor or welcome letter, please contact the Human Resource Directorate Personnel Administration Center.  Soldiers who are relocating to Carlisle Barracks and have not been assigned a sponsor should contact their gaining unit or Army Community Service Relocation Readiness Program Manager.

For inbound Army soldiers (officer, warrant officer or enlisted), the Human Resources Directorate (HRD) provides support to the Carlisle Barracks community in the way of sponsorship. Inbound members of the Air Force, Navy, Marine or Coast Guard who need contact information should contact their service representative for contact information. See the Major Unit Listing for more information. If assistance is needed anytime prior to your arrival, contact the HRD at 717-245-3615/3362, DSN 242-3615/3362 or by e-mail. If you have an emergency and need your leave extended, please telephone the HRD PAC during duty hours or the Field Officer of the Day after normal duty hours, weekends and holidays at Commercial 717-245-4934.

The Army Community Service (ACS) Relocation provides sponsorship training for Soldiers. Those Soldiers who are relocating to Carlisle Barracks and have not been assigned a sponsor should contact their gaining unit. Incoming Soldiers should receive a welcome letter and packet from their assigned sponsor before their arrival at Carlisle Barracks. Sponsorship for relocating civilians is the responsibility of the gaining supervisor. The ACS Relocation Readiness Program (RRP) Manager provides sponsorship training for all units. The ACS Relocation Manager and Child and Youth Services Liaison, Education and Outreach Services manage youth sponsorship.

Temporary Quarters

Army Lodging at Carlisle Barracks, provides temporary lodging for authorized personnel requiring accommodations. Requests for lodging during official travel are accepted anytime, confirmed TDY/PCS reservation will be provided 30 days prior to arrival. Unofficial travel reservation requests during September through May are accepted two weeks prior to arrival. Unofficial travel reservation requests during June through August are accepted only 3 days prior to arrival. All reservations can be made by phoning 717-245-4245 or by e-mail.

Relocation Assistance

The Relocation Readiness Program (RRP) ensures all arriving and departing members well supported by providing relocation assistance, training, information, and referral. Mandatory Newcomers Orientations are held quarterly at Letort View Community Center. During this orientation employees will have the opportunity to meet the Garrison Commander and various organization POCs. Each organization will provide valuable information. Contact the Relocation Program Manager, at 717-245-3685, DSN 312-242-3685. RRP operates a Lending Closet that is stocked with basic household items for inbound and outbound soldiers. To request welcome packets or any other relocation assistance services, contact the RRP at 717-245-4357/3685, DSN 312-242-4357/3685 or stop by the Army Community Service office in Building 632.

Critical Installation Information

The Carlisle Barracks operator can be reached by calling 717-245-3131 or DSN 312-242-3131.

  • Family Quarters has government housing for a total of 321 families. For those unable to be housed on the installation, they will be referred with assistance in locating a home in the local community. Current information on quarters availability and off post housing may be obtained at the Housing Office 717-245-4017, DSN 312-242-4017.
  • Child Development Center provides full day, part-day and hourly care. Further information can be obtained by contacting the Child Development Center 717-245-4743, DSN 312-242-4743.
  • On post residents with pets must register with the Veterinary Treatment Facility in Building 627-A. All active duty and retired military members and family members are authorized to use the Veterinary Treatment facility. For additional information please call 717-245-4168, DSN 312-242-4168 to schedule appointments.

Associated Links

Military OneSource
Provides access to 24/7 counseling, information and referral for service families.

Defense Travel Management Office /Per Diem
Per Diem official website with information on allowances, travel regulations and lodging websites.

DS Logon (formerly DEERS)
TRICARE beneficiaries can electronically link to their medical records, pay and human resource systems and other websites.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
The authoritative source for pay issues.

DoD Schools
Provides complete information on all Department of Defense Schools run by DoDEA.

Military K-12 Partnership
Provides comprehensive information for all students.

DoD Commissaries
The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment.

Stars and Stripes
Current editions for European, Mid East and Pacific newspapers.

The CIA World Factbook
Provides information on locations overseas.

OSD Reserve Affairs
Provides benefits and services designed to enhance and maintain the quality of life for noncommissioned and petty officers.

Army OneSource
Comprehensive information on all Army Community Services and QOL support.

Army Home Page
Information and resources for Army soldiers and families worldwide.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

U.S. Army Cadet Command -- Official QOL Web Site
Provides information and links to all Army Cadet Command quality of life issues.

Army Installation Management Command
Link is helpful in order to gain information about local and Army-wide initiatives.

Army Reserves
Information on the Army Reserve as a career.

Military ID Card/CAC -- Locator
Find all military ID card and CAC facilities worldwide.

Department of Defense-sponsored website for kids impacted by the deployment of parents and caregivers.

USA4 Military Families
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Explore the links to the left for in-depth information.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline