printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase


Government Housing


The RCI office is a liaison between the residents, the installation staff, and PICERNE. The RCI office here at Fort Polk is the government side of the partnership. The primary source of information on family housing is  PICERNE Military Housing. They have information on availability of on-post housing. Visit the RCI office at 1957 Louisiana Avenue, Bldg T-1807 or call 337-531-6000; DSN 312-863-6000.

The government side of the project (RCI) oversees, monitors, mediate, and arbitrates the daily operations of the partnership. RCI also manages all rental listings for off-post. The RCI office also manages a limited number of two-bedroom homes for Senior Bachelors in the grades E7-E9, Warrant Officers, and Officers.

Wait List Frequently Asked Questions

In a rare case where a question is not answered or an issue is not resolved at the Picerne Neighborhood office or at the Picerne Community office, Fort Polk maintains a small staff at the RCI office as backup for residents and Picerne- but this is only for use after consulting with your neighborhood and community offices.

You may wish to visit the PICERNE homepage for Fort Polk to learn more about your new community housing or you may wish to contact: Picerne Resident Relocation Specialist by calling 337-537-5000 or 866-525-HOME.

In order to be placed on the wait list, you provide an application to the Leasing and Relocation Office. This can be accomplished through the website, via fax or in person up to 90 days prior to your arrival at Fort Polk. Upon in-processing you will receive a housing briefing which includes the application for housing and the list of documents needed to complete your application packet. You can visit the Leasing and Relocation Office and we will assist you with ensuring your application is complete and your family is placed on the appropriate wait list.

What determines my placement on the waitlist?

Your placement on the wait list is based on your eligibility date. The eligibility date is determined by your PCS date from your last duty station. If you are newly married, your date will be the day you got married. You must apply within 30 days of arrival otherwise your eligibility date will be the date of your application. There are some situations that may alter your date, so please check with the Relocation Office if this applies to you.

What happens if I decline a home?

If availability allows, you will be given the opportunity to look at more than one home. After a second declination, you will be placed at the bottom of the wait list. After a third declination, you’ll be removed from the wait list and will need to reapply for housing.

What will my wait time be?

Your wait time is determined by the number of vacant homes available and the number of Families needing a home. The wait time given is an estimate and is subject to change due to availability and demand. Please check with the Relocation Office for updates. If you have preferences, your wait time could be extended.

What determines the list I am placed on?

Your rank and Family size determine the size of your home, as well as the rank band you are placed in. The rank bands are as follows: JNCO, E-1 to E-5; SNCO, E-6 to E-9; CGO, O-1 to O-3; FGO, O4 to O6; GO, O7-O9; Key and Essentials as identified by the Garrison.

What does it mean if I get bumped on the wait list?

If you get bumped on the wait list, it means an incoming Family arrived with an earlier eligibility date than you and went above you on the waiting list. Only the top ten percent of every waitlist is frozen and those Family cannot be bumped.

What happens if someone has the same eligibility date as me?

If someone has the same eligibility date, date-of-rank will be the secondary factor regarding placement on the wait list. The earlier date-of-rank will be placed first. If the date of rank is the same, date of entry into service will be used.

How long do I have to wait for an intra-post move?

Wait times for Intra-post (IP) moves are not given. All incoming Families are housed first. When a home is available and there are no incoming families waiting, it will be offered to the first Family on the IP move list. You must have 6 months remaining at Fort Polk to be offered to move.

Once contacted, how long do I have to respond to make a move-in appointment?

Once contacted, you have 72 hours to respond to the Picerne Relocation Office before we will offer that home to the next Family on the waiting list. Once you have responded, you need to sign for the home within 24 hours. Special circumstances will be looked at on a case-by-case basis. If advance notification is available, we can work with you to find an alternative that best serves you. If you will be out of town, please let the Relocation Office know, so arrangements can be made.

What is needed in order to get put on the wait list and what do I need to do to get on the wait list?

You can contact the Picerne Relocation Office at 337-537-5060 and ask to be placed on the wait list. The wait list you are placed on is dependant on your spouse’s rank and the size of your Family. We will ask you to go online to complete an application at and that you provide updated documents when you return to Fort Polk.

What is the average wait length for different housing areas?

This varies depending on the home requirements. The wait estimates provided on our website are based on an average of current and recent past wait times. Wait times can vary greatly depending on need and availability. Wait times may also increase with significant events such as the return of a large number of deployed units. Three and four bedroom homes have a consistently longer wait time. The five bedroom home wait list is rather lengthy as there are few five bedroom homes at Fort Polk. Preferences that you choose for your home will extend the wait for a home as any preferences such as a garage, single story home or renovation eliminates a fair number of available homes.

Do Soldiers returning from a deployment get priority on the wait list and how will the eligibility date be listed?

Preference is not given to families of deployed Soldiers. Deployed Soldiers can apply for housing up to 90 days prior to their unit redeploying.

If notified that a home is ready for me, what do I need to do to sign for the home if my spouse is not available?

You will need to provide the following updated documents to the Leasing and Relocation Office to be assigned to the home. Power of Attorney (POA) that allows you to sign for civilian and government housing.

Pet Policy

There have been changes in the pet policy necessitated by the quantity of issues related to damages in the homes as well as the DA Guidance pertaining to pets, as outlined January 5th, 2009 and the corresponding support of this guidance through Garrison Policy #4 on January 9th, 2009.

A maximum of 2 pets, either dogs or cats of any combination is authorized per household.

There is a $250 pet deposit for each registered pet (dog or cat). This deposit is fully refundable provided there are no pet damages to the home upon move out.

Pit Bulls, American/Staffordshire Bull Terriers Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, Chows, wolf hybrids, and crosses of these breeds are not allowed in Fort Polk Family Housing.

Ferrets, snakes, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), hedgehogs, pot-bellied pigs, monkeys, arachnids, sylvatic pets (skunks, raccoons, squirrels, other tree or woods-dwelling animals, etc.) and any other exotic or farm animal are not permitted in Housing.

Pets are the responsibility of the Resident. As such, Resident will be liable for all damages to include carpet, doors, walls, shades, blinds, screens, appliances, cabinets and other parts of the home or community including landscaping. Pets will be controlled at all times by their owners. Such control prevents pets from becoming a nuisance or menace to other persons, animals, or property. Residents are liable for any injury or damage, caused by their pet(s).

Please remember that Picerne Military Housing is a partner with the Army and as a partner, we take serious, all issues related to pet care and complaints. We work closely with DES, the Vet Clinic and our Garrison Command to ensure the installation policies are enforced. The changes to the preexisting pet policy are intended to help in our efforts to mitigate risks associated with potential issues, while supporting the need to reduce the amount of damages to homes being felt within the program. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support and request you to speak to your neighborhood management team if you have any questions.

For more details on housing rules and requirements please visit Picerne Military Housing webpage.

Single Service Member Housing

On-post bachelor housing is limited to bonafide single service members grades E-6 and above. Geographical bachelors should plan on living off post. To obtain Bachelor Officer's Quarters and Senior Enlisted Quarters billeting space, call RCI Housing.

Exceptional Family Member Housing

Picerne Military Housing's core mission is Families First. Being true to our mission, we have created a Family Services (FS) program that serves to support meeting the needs of our military families.

FS representatives work to facilitate a smooth transition for the family to their new home by directing you to the proper resources for WIC, SSI, Food Stamps, FSSA and Health and Welfare issues, ACS, etc. For assistance, contact your FS Manager, at 337-537-5000. 

Picerne Military Housing is focused on delivering excellence to all families. However, we know that a number of military families are in need of special support under the Exceptional Family Member Program.   This program is here to assist families with special needs to improve their quality of life by making homes and facilities readily accessible. AR 608-75 establishes policies & procedures for facilitating the EFMP. The Family Services (FS) representative will address all requests for exception to policy regarding living accommodations and requests impacting waiving the wait list in a timely manner. It is critical that the attending physician, the program manager for the EFMP, and/or the community health nurse, provide a recommendation to all special consideration requests. For more details please visit Picerne Military Housing webpage.

Non-government Housing

Housing options off post include apartments, duplexes, townhouses, mobile homes, mobile home parks and single/double dwelling homes. Furnished apartments are VERY difficult to find and usually VERY expensive to rent. 

Fort Polk is a Medium Cost of living area. There is a shortage of rental properties due to the influx of new Service Members, Family members, and civilian contractors to the installation. Although there are new houses and apartments going up every day the availability cannot keep up with the demand. Houses can sell for $50,000 - $250, 000; rental property goes from $400 - $1,700.00 a month.

Most landlords will require 1st and last months rent upfront and some may require you to pay a portion of utilities, rather than you having a meter of your own. It is important that your lease contain a MILITARY CLAUSE to allow you to terminate your lease early should you deploy or receive PCS orders. ALWAYS take all relative and important paperwork to the RCI HOUSING OFFICE or LEGAL ASSISTANCE OFFICE (LAO) BEFORE YOU SIGN.

For more information you may contact the RCI Project Manager are 337-531-6000, DSN 312-863-6000; or the Customer Service/Liaison - 337-531-7277, DSN 312-863-7277.

Housing Services Office (HSO) The HSO is your contact for any problems you may encounter such as discrimination complaints, tenant/landlord disputes, or any questions or problems about off-post housing is the HSO. The HSO will provide you a list of rentals with corresponding locator maps and give you information regarding the communities in which the rentals are located.

Associated Links

Defense Travel Management Office /Per Diem
Per Diem official website with information on allowances, travel regulations and lodging websites.
Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on by watching the video presentation, "What's on"

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Army Housing Online User Services
Army housing program's worldwide portal.

Army Installation Management Command
Link is helpful in order to gain information about local and Army-wide initiatives.

Homeowners Assistance Program
Describes the programs and benefits available to some military families impacted by BRAC and PCSing personnel with mortgage shortfalls.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline