printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Fast Facts

MCIPAC & 1st MAW Hq Bldg. 1

"Must know" Information for Marines and Sailors coming to Japan

Please review the attached "Must know" document for important information before arriving in Japan.

Location: MCB Camp S. D. Butler located 300 miles due south of mainland Japan on the island of Okinawa. Perhaps the most unique characteristic about Okinawa is that unlike most duty stations, MCB Camp Butler is physically separated throughout the island into a number of different camps. MCB Camp S. D. Butler includes: Camp Kinser; MCAS Futenma; Camp Foster; Camp Courtney; Camp Hansen; Camp Schwab; and Camp Gonsalves. Please visit Camp Butler's Electronic Welcome Aboard Package and video.

BRAC Status: No programmed changes.

Cost of Living: Off-base costs in Japan tend to be high compared to stateside prices. Military members stationed in Japan receive a cost of living allowance (COLA) that helps make up for the falling dollar.

Base Operator: 011-81-98-911-5111/5112 or DSN 315-911-5111/5112.

Population: Total population Navy/Marine Corps, including military, civilian, family members and retirees, is 32,281:

  • 17,117 active duty
  • 9,741 family members
  • 4,415 civilian employees
  • 1,000 retirees

Area Population: Okinawa is the largest of the Ryukyu Islands in southern Japan, with a population of 1,389,400. The capital city, Naha, has a population of 318,000.

Child Care: The MCB Camp Butler Children Youth and Teen Program is DoD certified. There are four Child Development Centers, three School Age Programs, one Pre-school and Family Child Care are located at the Marine Corps housing areas on Okinawa.

Schools: There are twelve DoD Dependent School on Okinawa:

  • Eight Elementary schools
  • Two Jr. High/Middle schools
  • Two High schools

Check out the DODDS Okinawa individual websites.

Youth Services: Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) offers a variety of leisure time activities and programs for Youth and Teens on Okinawa. Call 011-81-98-970-2110.

Marine and Family Services: Marine and Family Services, 011-81-98-970 -2104 / 011-81-98-970-2106 / 011-81-98-970-8395.

Housing: All Government Housing on Okinawa is managed by the Housing Office on Kadena AB. Satellite offices are located on Camp Courtney and Camp Kinser. Personnel assigned to Camps Hansen, Schwab, Courtney, or McTureous, White Beach should make appointments for on-base housing at Camp Courtney. Personnel assigned to MCAS Futenma, Camp Kinser, and Naha Port should report to Camp Kinser. Personnel assigned to all other areas on Okinawa should make appointments for on-base housing at the Kadena Housing Office, 011-81-98-970-0114 / (DSN) 315-634-0114. More information about the housing process in Okinawa can be found at Okinawa Housing website.

If authorized to live off base you will find furnished and unfurnished apartments for short or long term basis. A basic set of furniture (and appliances for those residing off-base) is provided at no cost for members serving accompanies or command-sponsored tours. Note that Furniture is not provided for unaccompanied Marine Corps personnel authorized to reside off base.

Employment: Employment opportunities for military spouses and family members are limited on Okinawa. The best advice for the job seeker is to keep your options open, network and be persistent. The employment situation on base is considered fair for military spouses and family members. The situation off base is extremely limited, with most positions requiring bilingual ability. The majority of off base employment openings are as an English conversation instructor. Contact the Transition Assistance Management Program, 011-81-98-970-3151 / (DSN) 315-645-3151, for guidance and assistance in your job hunt.

Base Services:

Medical Services: The Naval Hospital Okinawa, with its main facility at Camp Foster, provides primary and family care, through a number of branch clinics on Camp S.D. Butler. It is very important to ensure that your family members are cleared medically before coming to Okinawa. An Overview about the process and required paperwork can be found at the USNH Medical Overseas Screening webpage. Once you arrive on Okinawa you will need to re-enroll your family members in TRICARE Pacific upon arrival. If your family members do not transfer their enrollment, they will revert to TRICARE Standard for their health care coverage 60 days after the report no later than date. To enroll, stop by the TRICARE Service Center and you will be provided information about the TRICARE Pacific program.

The 3d Dental Battalion/U.S. Naval Dental Center, Okinawa provides comprehensive dental treatment to active duty, family members and all eligible beneficiaries. Our focus is to promote health and improve the quality of life through providing quality dental treatment to all eligible beneficiaries, while maintaining a high state of operational dental readiness.

Special Installation Messages:

Defense Service Network (DSN) Dialing Instructions

The DSN is the provider of long-distance communications service for the Department of Defense (DoD). Every installation has a special DSN number and the numbers vary by world-wide location. In order to place a call using DSN, the caller must be using a military phone on an installation. Cell phones cannot dial DSN numbers. When dialing a DSN number from a United States installation to another United States installation, it is unnecessary to dial the DSN 312 area code. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included. The operator can be reached at commercial (719) 567-1110. Please note that long distance charges may be incurred.

Explore the links to the left for in-depth information.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline