printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Motor Vehicles

Registration and licensing requirements

State laws vary when it comes to motor vehicle insurance requirements, licensing and registration. The term vehicle generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Service members and their families will want to understand their state’s laws on registration and licensing before moving to a new state. Visit the Motor Vehicle Services page for links to state-specific websites.

Motor vehicle laws

State and local laws regulate the operation of motor vehicles, and these laws can vary by location. Many states regulate the following:

  • Seatbelt use
  • Child safety seats
  • Motorcycle operation
  • The use of cellphones and other digital devices while driving

Learn more about motor vehicle laws in your state at the State Laws page.

Installation Specific Information

Motor Vehicles

All privately owned vehicles must be inspected and registered on base. Please refer to the Household Goods Section for information on how to track the shipment of your car, and to find contact information for the Aviano Vehicle Processing Center.

Three Vehicle Limitation

Based on the NATO Status of Forces Agreement for Italy, the maximum amount of vehicles allowed are three vehicles during your entire tour at Aviano. Please note that trailers and motorcycles are also counted as vehicles.

Large Vehicles

Many streets and parking spaces are a tight fit for large vehicles. Also, gas is expensive. Command-sponsored individuals will receive authorization to purchase gas vouchers at a reduced price, but the number of liters authorized is based on the size of the engine and is only for one vehicle. Some members do fine; some regret shipping a large vehicle.

Vehicle Purchase

New and used cars are readily available in Italy, from dealers and private sellers. Used vehicles may be more expensive than similar models sold stateside. Used vehicles with automatic transmissions are more difficult to find. The "Lemon Lot" is located near the Commissary parking lot; your sponsor can help you find other advertising, as well as dealer locations. Remember to be judicious when entering into any transaction! There is no tax when purchasing a new car from one of the military-affiliated dealers, but many states will charge their state sales tax if/when you ship it and register it there. Be aware that if you purchase a vehicle that does not have U.S. specifications (specs), you may not be authorized to ship it out. If financing, it is best to get pre-approved through a bona fide financial institution. The Airman and Family Readiness Center offers appointments to check your credit report/credit score and make a spending plan (budget).

Vehicle Insurance

Vehicle insurance, especially full coverage, is very expensive in Italy because of the high minimum coverages required. Be sure to factor this into your budget. Costs are based on the usual insurance determinants, and full coverage is more expensive than liability-only coverage. The only two American auto insurance companies are GEICO and USAA.

International Driver's License

You will need an International Driver's License to drive in any country other than Italy. According to the state department, there are ONLY 2 authorized websites in which to obtain your IDP. They are the AAA and the National Auto Club.

Italian Traffic Fines

  • Running a red light: 646 euro.
  • Parking in an unauthorized location: 168 euro
  • Speeding 10-40 km over speed limit: 674 euro
  • Speeding more than 40 km over speed limit: 1,682 euro
  • No seat belt: 323 euro

Motorcycle Riders

Italy Age limits for motorcycle riders:

  • Individuals under age 18 may not obtain an AFI license in Italy.
  • At age 18, may obtain a motorcycle endorsement to ride bikes which power does not exceed 35 kw.
  • At age 24, may operate any size motorcycle.

Note: If motorcycle rider has had a motorcycle endorsement for at least two years, the age limit to ride any size motorcycle is reduced from age 24 to age 20. (Must show proof by providing current license greater than two years old with endorsement or Department of Motor Vehicle paperwork showing the issuance of a motorcycle endorsement at least two years ago.)

Due to these Italian requirements, some personnel choose not to ship their motorcycle, as they may not be able to ride it.

All members who arrive in Aviano must attend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course at Aviano prior to obtaining the motorcycle endorsement on the AFI license.

Associated Links

USAF Home Page
Provides comprehensive resources and information on all Air Force issues.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline