MilitaryInstallations Booklet for Presidio of Monterey (DLI/FLC)


Fast Facts

Location:  The Presidio of Monterey (POM) is located in Monterey County, the city of Monterey, California, about 117 miles south of San Francisco, on the Pacific coast.  The mission of POM is to provide professional base support services which facilitate mission readiness and promote well-being for all supported elements. Presidio of Monterey homepage

Cost of Living: High compared to the U.S. average

Base Operator: 831-242-5119, 312-768-5119

Population:  127 active duty; 3,284 students; 1,590 civilians

Area Population:  31,450

Child Care:  The Monterey Road CDC programs include: full day care, part-day care, infant and pre-school programming.  For more information call 831-583-1050.

Schools: Elementary and middle school on post operated by Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (MPUSD). MPUSD has 11 elementary schools, 4 middle schools, and three high schools. There are seven additional school districts in the area.

Youth Services:  Porter Youth Center is relatively new, and offers the full range of preteen and teen programs. The administrative offices for the Youth and School Age Services program are located at Porter. Out of school care, sports, instructional classes and social, recreational and leisure activities are provided for eligible families at Porter Youth Center.  For more information call 831-242-7821.

Army Community Service:  ACS  831-242-7660

Housing: The Presidio of Monterey has "privatized" all military housing in the Monterey community.  190 officer family units; 1,300 enlisted family units; six single service member units. For more information call 831-644-0400.

Employment:  The largest employers in Monterey County are: Dole Fresh Vegetables, Pebble Beach Company, Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula and the County of Monterey.  Unemployment rate is 12.6%.  Median household income is $69,229.

Post Services:

Medical Services:  Quality health care is available to the military community through the Presidio of Monterey Army Health Clinic and the three hospitals in the area. Appointments call 831-242-5234/5663.

Special Messages from Installation:  Soldiers who have just finished their Basic Combat Training, and who are reporting to the Defense Language Institute (DLI) as their first long-term duty assignment, need to be aware that they will go into Phase IV of their Initial Entry Training here at the Presidio of Monterey. This means that, for their first four weeks here at the Presidio, they will be restricted to post, living in the barracks, and not allowed to wear civilian clothes or to operate a privately-owned vehicle, during that time. This can significantly complicate settling a family into government provided quarters. Married soldiers who are coming to the Presidio of Monterey directly from Basic Training are strongly encouraged to arrange for movement of their family members here to the Presidio after, rather than during or before, their first four weeks here at DLI.

Defense Service Network (DSN) Dialing Instructions

The DSN is the provider of long-distance communications service for the Department of Defense (DoD). Every installation has a special DSN number and the numbers vary by world-wide location. In order to place a call using DSN, the caller must be using a military phone on an installation. Cell phones cannot dial DSN numbers. When dialing a DSN number from a United States installation to another United States installation, it is unnecessary to dial the DSN 312 area code. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included. The operator can be reached at commercial (719) 567-1110. Please note that long distance charges may be incurred.




The Presidio of Monterey (POM) is located in Monterey County in the city of Monterey, California, on the Pacific coast approximately 120 miles south of San Francisco. The USAG POM installation is located approximately 8 miles from the Ord Military Community (OMC), where the majority of students and permanent party military personnel live in military housing on a portion of the former Fort Ord. The base operator’s phone number is 831-242-5119. The Monterey Peninsula is favored by nature and has a rich history, and few spots anywhere can match its year round moderate climate and its rugged coastline. The Monterey Peninsula is a high cost of living area. Although the Presidio of Monterey has played a significant role in the city of Monterey’s history, Monterey is not in itself a military city. The DLIFLC and Presidio of Monterey Automated-Attendant phone number is 831-242-5119 and can be called 24 hours a day.


In 1770, Monterey became one of five presidios, or forts, built by Spain in what is now the western United States. American control of the area began in 1846, during the war with Mexico when Commodore John D. Sloat, commander of the U.S. Navy's Pacific Squadron, landed a small force unopposed in Monterey and claimed the territory and the Presidio for the United States. In November 1941, the Army established a secret school on the Presidio of San Francisco to teach the Japanese language to American soldiers of Japanese descent. In June 1946, the school was designated as the Army Language School and later renamed the Defense Language Institute in 1963. For more information, go to the Presidio of Monterey homepage.


The mission of POM is to provide professional base support services which facilitate mission readiness and promote well-being for all supported elements. The primary tenant organization is the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLI/FLC). DLI/FLC provides foreign language education, training, evaluation, and sustainment for DoD personnel in order to ensure the success of the Defense Foreign Language Program and enhance the security of the Nation.

Population Served

USAG POM supports a joint-service population of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Coast Guard and their Family Members.  The current total population is approximately 42,850, which comprises an active duty population of 4,655 Service Members and 27,893 retirees.

Base Transportation

There is a military shuttle once daily from OMC to the Presidio of Monterey.  It departs from the Stilwell Community Center at 0607 and returns in the evening departing from POM at 1729.  There is also the following service by the Monterey-Salinas Transit on POM, OMC and the Naval Postgraduate School:

Route #12 Monterey – The Dunes via NPS:  Monterey Transit Plaza, La Mesa (military housing), Naval Postgraduate School, Fitch Park (housing at OMC), DOD/POM Annex (OMC), The Dunes Shopping Center.

Route #14 NPS – Monterey via La Mesa:  MontereyTransit Plaza • La Mesa • Naval Postgraduate School • Monterey Courthouse

Route #76 Presidio – Stilwell Park Express: Stilwell Park • Commissary/PX • Child Care Center • Hayes Park • Downtown Monterey • Presidio of Monterey

Route #77 Presidio – Seaside Express:  Seaside Highlands • Seaside • La Mesa • Monterey Courthouse • MPC • Glenwood Circle • Downtown Monterey • Presidio of Monterey

Route #78 Presidio – Pacific Grove Express:  New Monterey • Pacific Grove • Lighthouse Ave. • 17 Mile Drive • Country Club Shopping Center • The Presidio Of Monterey

Route #75 Presidio – Marshall Park Express:  Marshall Park • Fitch Park • Commissary/PX • Stilwell Park • Downtown Monterey • Presidio of Monterey

More information can be found on the Presidio of Monterey homepage and the Monterey-Salinas Transit homepage.


If you know your unit assignment at the Presidio, contact that unit to see whether there is a sponsorship program. See the Major Unit Listings for contact information. Service members coming directly from basic training will not be assigned sponsors.  Go to the Sponsorship link for more detailed information.

While you are en route to the Defense Language Institute, you may have your mail forwarded. Use the following address: Rank and Name of Service Member, Unit Assigned, Defense Language Institute, Foreign Language Center, Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944-5006.

Temporary Quarters

Temporary lodging is available at the Presidio of Monterey (POM) and at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS). Reservations must be made in advance. For POM Lodging reservations and information, call the lodging office at 831-645-1199, DSN 312-768-1199. The POM lodging only has two (2) units for pets and there is an additional fee. Contact POM Lodging for details.

For NPS Lodging call 831-372-6133, or 800-628-9466. They have four (4) rooms for pets. There is an additional charge for pets. Call for further information or to make reservations.

The Navy Gateway Inn & Suites (former BOQ) has rooms available for personnel on PCS orders to Monterey. Those not on orders may call regarding Space Available reservations. They have a strict no pet policy. The number for reservations and further information is 831-656-2060.

Relocation Assistance

Army Community Service (ACS), located in the Stilwell Community Center, Bldg. 4260 on Ord Military Community, offers a full range of relocation assistance services including a complete Loan Closet. We offer items that include, Aero beds, foam mats, kitchen utensils, pots and pans, folding chairs and tables, high chairs, strollers, dishes, playpens, and car seats. A Newcomer's Briefing is held for Service Members and Family Members every Tuesday at Tin Barn. Speakers from varying organizations on post give short briefs in the morning. In the afternoon the organizations have information tables to answer questions and give more detailed information and handouts. You can contact the ACS Relocation Manager at 831-242-7661, DSN 312-768-7661.

Critical Installation Information

Housing in the Monterey area is among the most expensive in the country. Affordable off-post housing is limited. Rental properties in the Monterey Peninsula area range from $1050 for an unfurnished one-bedroom apartment to $2,600 for a house. Most landlords do not accept pets, the ones that do normally charge between $100 and $250 in additional deposits, plus a monthly charge. Generally, expect to pay the first and last month's rent, up front, or a deposit plus the rent.

There are two military housing areas available to personnel assigned to POM: The Parks at Monterey Bay located in La Mesa, and the Ord Military Community located on a portion of what used to be Fort Ord. These are operated under the residential communities imitative by Pinnacle. Contact them at 831-644-0400 or 866-902-6522.

Soldiers who have just finished their Basic Combat Training, and who are reporting to the Defense Language Institute (DLI) as their first long-term duty assignment, need to be aware that they will go into Phase IV of their Initial Entry Training here at the Presidio of Monterey. This means that, for their first four weeks here at the Presidio, they will be restricted to post, living in the barracks, and not allowed to wear civilian clothes or to operate a privately-owned vehicle, during that time. This can significantly complicate settling a family into government provided quarters. Married soldiers who are coming to the Presidio of Monterey directly from Basic Training are strongly encouraged to arrange for movement of their family members here to the Presidio after, rather than during or before, their first four weeks here at DLI.



Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource can help smooth that transition. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. The Sponsorship Program supports sponsors with training and access to important information and resources.

  • Sponsorship Program goals include the following:
  • Providing newcomers with a sense of belonging
  • Easing the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
  • Increasing productivity
  • Helping newcomers make informed decisions
  • Cultivating new friendships
  • Improving morale

A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status.

Sponsorship duties include the following:

  • Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
  • Following up with the member's preferred method of contact
  • Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing resource information
  • Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
  • Assisting with post office arrangements
  • Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
  • Accompanying service members to unit check-in point
  • Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if available
  • Orienting service members and families to the installation and key locations, such as the commissary

Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.

For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.

Sponsorship training

If you are already a sponsor, visit My Training Hub and log in with your Common Access Card, or CAC, to take the eSponsorship Application & Training. The course will walk you through your sponsorship duties and help you find the resources and information your newcomer is going to need.

Families can be an important part of the sponsorship process. If your family members want to learn more about sponsorship, they can access the Sponsorship Awareness for Families through My Training Hub with an email address and password. The Sponsorship Awareness for Families course includes the same resources and information as the CAC-enabled version.

Service-specific information

  • Army - Sponsorship is mandated for all soldiers in grades of E1-06, and encouraged for Army civilian employees. Sponsors will be assigned via the Army Career Tracker Sponsorship Module and must complete sponsorship training course #1B-F43(v) in the Army Training Requirements and Resources System. Soldiers who are PCSing must complete DA Form 5434 in the Army Career Tracker Sponsorship Module to provide gaining commands pertinent information required to assign a sponsor who can meet their needs.
  • Marine Corps - Gaining unit commands within the continental United States assign sponsors upon request. Overseas commands assign sponsors automatically; however, if one is not assigned, you may send a request to the gaining command using the Sample Sponsorship Request form. Contact the installation Information and Referral office for more information.
  • Navy - Command sponsor and indoctrination responsibilities begin upon receipt of permanent change of station orders and continue until the sailor has become an integral part of the new command. Commanding officers should ensure all incoming personnel receive command indoctrination training within 30 days of arrival or within three drill weekends. Local commands can get assistance with the Sponsorship Program through the Fleet and Family Support Center.
  • Air Force - Gaining unit command support staff assigns sponsors upon receipt of assignment notice. Assigned sponsors then make contact with their inbound service members. Commands and sponsors may contact the Relocation Assistance Program managers at the Airmen and Family Readiness Center for additional information or assistance.
  • National Guard Bureau - Air National Guard and Army National Guard members should follow service-specific guidance (Air Force and Army).

Youth Sponsorship Program

Even before they arrive, kids have the chance to get to meet a new friend and become acquainted with their new installation through the Youth Sponsorship Program. They can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online. For more information, visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and click on Youth Services and your new installation. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the Youth Sponsorship Program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.


Directions to Installation

Directions to the Presidio of Monterey (DLI/FLC)

To DLI from Highway 1-South

The city of Monterey is approximately 117 miles south of San Francisco. You can approach Monterey from the north or south on Highway 1, but you won't make good time.

To DLI from the North via Highway 101

An alternate route to Monterey from the north is Highway 101 South to the Monterey Peninsula exit near Prunedale (Highway 156 West). This five-mile road leads to Highway 1 South and on to Monterey. You'll drive by Marina, Fort Ord and Seaside. Continue along Highway 1 to the Del Monte exit. Follow Del Monte until you approach the Fisherman's Wharf intersection. Move to the left, and follow this route past Portola Plaza Hotel (on your right) until you can turn left onto Pacific Street. At next intersection, turn right on Franklin and follow it through the Franklin Street Gate. Taylor Hall (Bldg.616) will be the first building to your left after the stop sign inside the gate. Report there during duty hours or to Rasmussen Hall (Bldg. 614) during non-duty hours. Rasmussen Hall will be the first large building to your right after the stop sign.


After taking the Del Monte exit, bear to the right, follow the signs to Cannery Row, go through the tunnel, get into the left lane, and take the first turn to the left. It will take you into the Presidio. Continue up PVT Bolio Road. Turn to the left and the third stop sign onto Franklin Street. The first building on the left is Rasmussen Hall. The first building to the right, just before the next stop sign, is Taylor Hall.

To DLI from 101-South

If you're driving in from the south, use Highway 101 to Salinas follow the Highway 68 signs to Monterey Peninsula/Highway 68 to Prescott Street. Turn right onto Prescott and right again at the first traffic light onto Taylor. Follow Taylor into the Presidio. Take the first left onto Lawton Road and follow it past PVT. Bolio and Kit Carson Roads. Rasmussen Hall (to your left) is on the corner of Kit Carson and Lawton Roads. To reach Taylor Hall, continue on Lawton. Taylor Hall is on the corner of Lawton and Rifle Range Roads.

From East or Southeast via interstate 5-North

If you're approaching from the east or southeast, use Interstate 5 North. Follow I-5 to the Highway 152 West connection to Highway 156. Travel along Highway 156 to Prunedale, then by Marina, Fort Ord and Seaside into Monterey. Use the directions for approaching the Presidio following the alternate route from the north given above.


The Monterey Peninsula Airport is the closest airport to the Presidio of Monterey. Transportation from the airport to the installation is by rental car, public transportation, or taxi. The Monterey Peninsula Airport does not have USO facilities. Airports with USO lounges are the San Francisco International Airport and the Mineta-San Jose International Airport. The USO Lounge at the San Francisco International Airport is located on the mezzanine floor of the main terminal above the United Airlines ticket counters. It is open 24 hours daily.  The USO Lounge at the Mineta-San Jose International Airport is open seven days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.


Check-in Procedures

Travel Planning

Temporary Lodging Reservations

Temporary lodging is available at both the Presidio of Monterey and the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS).  Reservations must be made in advance for both the Army Lodging at the Presidio of Monterey, and the Navy Lodge at NPS.  All uniformed military personnel on official travel to the Presidio of Monterey are required to check for government quarters availability at the Army Lodging. The Presidio of Monterey Army Lodging is located at 466 Cabrillo Street, Bldg. 366, Presidio of Monterey.  The phone number is 831-645-1199; the hours are 0800-1800 daily. Online reservations may be made by clicking here.

The Navy Lodge is located at 1100 Farragut Road, Monterey. The phone number is 831-372-6133.  Reservations can be made by calling toll free 800-628-9466, or online.

Command Sponsorship

All PCS moves to the Presidio of Monterey are command-sponsored. Command sponsorship is important because it authorizes concurrent travel, which is defined as travel where family members and dependents accompany the service member to the permanent duty station, and reside there. In addition, command approval allows the service member to post allowances at the at-dependent rate, on the dependents’ behalf, as a result of their residence in the vicinity of the service member’s permanent duty station. Additional benefits are post housing, increased weight allowance for household goods, government transportation for military family members upon PCS. The consequences of taking family members and dependents on a PCS tour that is not command-sponsored is that family members are only entitled to certain privileges on post.  These privileges are: ID card (DD 1173), access to medical and dental facilities, Post Exchange and commissary privileges.

Reporting Procedures

Documents required as part of reporting-in procedures are:  for Army, Air Force, Marines, and Navy, you must report with your orders.  For National Guard and Reserves, you need 10 copies of your orders: all amendments and Title 10 or Title 32 orders.


If you arrive during duty hours, report for duty with the 229th Military Intelligence Battalion (MIBN).  Report to the Taylor Hall, Bldg. 616, 2nd Floor, Room 216 (229th MIBN S-1) between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., telephone 831-242-5642/5589.  If you arrive after duty hours or on weekends, WITHOUT pinpoint orders, report to the respective Company's CQ to which your language is assigned. All careerist Soldiers arriving after duty hours WITH pinpoint orders, report to the respective Company listed below:

A Company - Arabic Bldg 603A - CQ831-242-5514
B Company - All Soldiers coming from Basic Training, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Hebrew, German, Serbo-Croatian - Bldg. 622, 3rd Floor - CQ 831-242-5224
C Company - Arabic Bldg 631B - CQ 831-242-5656
D Company - Japanerse, Chinese, Thai, Tagalog, Indonesian, Korean - Bldg. 831 - CQ 831-242-5645
E Company - SFC's and above; all others; all Officers - Bldg. 831 - CQ 831-242-5645
F Company - Persian Farsi, Pashtu, Urdu, DTRA Students - Bldg. 831 - CA 831-242-5645

Air Force

If you are reporting to the 311th or 314th Training Squadron, check in with the Commander's Support Staff located in Bldg. 627, Rm. 147 between the hours of 0700-0900 Monday-Friday. If you need more information or help to get to the Presidio of Monterey please call DSN: 768-5115 or (831) 242-5115. For incoming staff members, if you did not receive a sponsor package and would like to request one, please call 768-5875 or 5730.


All Marines attending training at either the Naval Postgraduate School and/or the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center are assigned to the Marine Corps Detachment, Presidio of Monterey and will report to the Commanding Officer, MARCORDET Presidio. The Marine Coprs Detachment is prepared to receive new-joins 24 hours a day. Normal working hours are from 0730-1630 Monday-Friday. During this time, check-in will be conducted at the Detachment S-1. After normal working hours and during the weekend and holidays, check in with the Detachment Duty NCO located in the Marine Corps Detachment, Bldg. 629B. If you experience any problems you can reach the Duty NCO at 831-242-6855. Uniform for check-in is Service "A" for all personnel.


Both staff and students follow the same check-in process. When you arrive at the base go to the CIDU quarterdeck located in Building 629A Rifle Range Road. The quarterdeck is manned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Bring your orders with you so that they may be stamped and you can receive further instruction. You are required to be in uniform if checking in during normal working hours.

Inprocessing Procedures

All new service members are required to attend the Joint Services Inprocessing Briefs (JSIB) which are held each Tuesday morning. During the JSIB Service Members are given installation information regarding all agencies on post, and services available for Service Members and Family Members. Those returning from OCONUS are offered a Re-entry Workshop. Spouses are encouraged to attend the JSIB and are also invited to the monthly Newcomer's Welcome sponsored by Army Community Service.


If you know your unit assignment at the Presidio, you can contact that unit to see whether there is a sponsorship program available to you.  Service members coming directly from basic training will not be assigned sponsors.

What To Do If You Get Married Enroute

If you get married before you PCS, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures.


Motor Vehicles

Registration and licensing requirements

State laws vary when it comes to motor vehicle insurance requirements, licensing and registration. The term vehicle generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Service members and their families will want to understand their state’s laws on registration and licensing before moving to a new state. Visit the Motor Vehicle Services page for links to state-specific websites.

Motor vehicle laws

State and local laws regulate the operation of motor vehicles, and these laws can vary by location. Many states regulate the following:

  • Seatbelt use
  • Child safety seats
  • Motorcycle operation
  • The use of cellphones and other digital devices while driving

Learn more about motor vehicle laws in your state at the State Laws page.

Installation Specific Information

Registration & Licensing Requirements

California State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the Military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving. Access complete information on insurance, driver’s licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the State Department of Motor Vehicles website.

State Laws

You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving, you will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 6 years of age be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat.

Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

Many States and local jurisdictions have strict laws about the use of cell phones and other digital devices while driving. Research these laws on the State Department of Motor Vehicles website. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a “hands free” device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving. Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Non-resident military personnel are permitted to operate their vehicles in California with their valid home state license plates, or until the expiration of the plates issued by another state. Registrations may be renewed in the resident state before expiration date, or in California.

California Driver's License

A standard class "A" driver's license for motorcycles or automobiles costs $12. The Department of Motor Vehicles has determined that a California driver's license is not required of a family member as long as the following criteria are met:

  • The family member's home state driver's license remains valid.
  • The family member is age 18 or older.
  • The family member does not establish residency in California.
  • The family member is not employed for compensation for the purpose operating a motor vehicle.

The DMV maintains that lawful family members are entitled to the same non-resident status as their active duty sponsors.

Post Regulations

The installation regulations regarding motor vehicles are as follows:  Per IAW AR 190-5 the following criteria must be met to be issued a decal:

  • Live or work on the Presidio of Monterey or a military retiree.
  • Have a valid Drivers License.
  • Have a valid vehicle registration w/name of applicant whom decal is to be issued. (If the Applicants name is not on the registration, a notarized letter must be initiated by the registered owner indicating that the applicant has full use of the vehicle. SJA may be able to assist military personnel in this matter. The other option is for the owner of the vehicle to contact DMV in person and have the applicant added to the registration.)
  • Valid insurance.
  • Valid ID card.
  • If registering a motorcycle, a motorcycle license and Motorcycle Defensive Drivers Certification Card.
  • Vehicles that are four years old or older, are required to have a smog check. 1974 or older vehicles are exempt from the smog requirement.
  • Vehicle Registration Form should be accompanied with the Smog Certificate, where applicable.
  • National Guard personnel are only authorized a decal if they are assigned to the POM for language study or live or work on the POM.
  • No one will be issued a decal unless they meet all of the requirements as indicated above.


1. Personnel entering the POMPD and have the completed VRS Form, will be asked for their drivers license, proof of insurance and vehicle registration. All military personnel attempting to register their vehicles with POMPD will have a copy of their orders assigning them to the Presidio of Monterey, to determine status. VRS personnel will review the information on the VRS Form for completeness, check the drivers license, proof of insurance and vehicle registration documents, (Smog Certification if the vehicle is registered out of the state of California and is four years old or more) SEE ATTACHED STATEMENTS REQUIRING SMOG CHECKS to ensure they are valid and that the individuals signature appears on the bottom of the form. Personnel with newly purchased vehicles will be issued a decal only if they provide the sales agreement (Bill of Sale), they will be required to contact the VRS an inform them of the License Plate number when their license plates arrive.

2. VRS Personnel will also verify the status of the individual, to ascertain if the individual should have a decal or obtain a Vistors Pass at the Franklin or Bolio Street Gates. National Guards are not authorized a decal unless they are federally activated and live or work on the Presidio of Monterey. If they qualify their expiration date is one year from date of issue.

Army Reservists will be informed to obtain a visitors pass at the Franklin or Bolio Street Gate, the Visitors Pass will be valid until their training is completed. Retired civilian instructors or civilians are not authorized decals and must obtain a Visitors Pass to gain access to the POM. DFAS employees will only be issued decals if they live or work on the POM. Regular Armed Forces personnel will be issued decals only if they live or work on the POM. Recruiters that live outside of the Monterey Peninsula will not be issued a decal.

Active duty and retired Navy personnel will be directed to obtain decals for their vehicle from the Naval Postgraduate School. Naval personnel assigned to NTTCD will be the exception and will be issued decals if they qualify.

3. Decals expire four years from date of issuance, contractors decals however expire one year from date of issuance. After reviewing the form the VRS Clerk will sign the "Reviewed By" portion of the form indicating that he/she have reviewed the form. They will then issue the decal according to the individual status. (ie., officer, enlisted, civilian or contractor. Once decals are issued, the information on the forms will be put into the COPS program as soon as possible, after which the form will be filed alphabetically by unit or organization in which the individual is assigned. Personnel requesting decals for their motorcycles must have in their possession a Motorcycle Defensive Drivers Course Card before registration of the motorcycle can take place.


Education - General Overview

Local Schools

California public schools serve the USAG Presidio of Monterey and Defense Language Institute.  There are no Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) schools in the area.  The Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (MPUSD) serves all military housing areas and the cities of Monterey, Seaside, Del Rey Oaks, Marina and Sand City.  Additionally, Pacific Grove Unified, Carmel Unified, Washington Union, Spreckles, Salinas, and North Monterey County School Districts serve the surrounding area.  For links to all local school districts, go to the Monterey School Liaison website and click on the Local School District link.

Private, alternative and home schooling is available in the area.  There are no Magnet Schools; however there are charter schools.  You can find a listing of local private and charter schools by going to this link.  There is a military home school support group for the Monterey area.  Contact the school liaison officer at 831-242-6904 for further information.

Public Schools

The MPUSD has 10 elementary, 4 middle schools and 4 high schools (one being an alternative school for credit recovery) serving approximately 11,250 students.  Current student/teacher ratio is 24.96/1 in Kindergarten, 31/1 in 1st – 3rd grades, and 30+/1 in all other grades.  Each school is accredited by the California Department of Education and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

Entrance Requirements

Students attending MPUSD must live in the attendance area or apply and be approved for an inter-district transfer.

Age requirements are:

  • Kindergarten Programs.  A child must be 5 years of age by December 2.  Kindergarten in full day.
  • First Grade.   A child must be 6 years of age by December 2.

There are no exceptions to this policy unless a student transfers mid-year or between Kindergarten and 1st grade from a state that has a later cut-off date and successfully completed kindergarten.  Pre-school programs are available in some of the elementary schools but acceptance is based on family income or special needs.

Grading Scale

Grading system is based on California academic standards.

Standardized test – School Accountability Report Card (SARC)  

Bus Transportation

Bus transportation is limited for Monterey Peninsula Unified School District students and is based on distance from school.  Also, families are charged for transportation.  Special Education transportation is provided free of charge and regardless of distance from school.

Lunch Program

Free or reduced lunch program is also available at school and is based on total family income.

Dress Code

There is a dress code for all area schools.  Please refer to the school webpage for this information.  For links to all local school districts, go to the Monterey School Liaison homepage and click on the Local School District link.

Before and After School Programs

Before and After School care for children in grades kindergarten through 5th grade, operates from 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. by Child, Youth & School Services (CYSS) at Porter Youth Center.  The program provides breakfast and after school snacks.  Activities consist of recreational sports, physical fitness, field trip, homework assistance, and a computer lab.  SAS also provides full-time care when school is not in session (in-service days, spring and summer break).   SAS also provides daily activities for children needing only intermittent care.  Fore more information, call 831-242-7823.

Before and after school care is also offered at many school sites in the MPUSD.

School Sports

Sports at the middle school level in MPUSD is part of the after school care program.  High school sports are available for students and may include:  soccer, football, volleyball, basketball, hockey, tennis, wrestling, cheerleading and track & field.

Special Needs

Monterey Peninsula Unified School District Special Services requests that incoming military families with special needs children ages 3 years to high school contact the office and either fax or mail the child’s current IEP or other information that will help Special Services facilitate a smooth transition.  (This is the school district that serves all military housing areas.)  For more information contact 831-392-3827.


Education - Local Schools

How do I choose a school?

Choosing the right school for children is a priority for many military families. Finding the right educational setting for each child requires a careful examination of the available options, whether you live on and off the installation. "Choosing a School for Your Child," a publication from the U.S. Department of Education, offers checklists and questions to assist parents in making the right choices.

How do I find out about schools near my new duty station?

Several quality online tools are available. Military OneSource is a free service offered by the Department of Defense to service members and their families to help with a broad range of concerns including education, parenting and child care, relocation and the concerns of families with special-needs members. An educational consultation with a specialty consultant is available, free of charge, and can help you address specific educational needs and goals.

How can I help plan for a successful transition?

Parents often want to know about the availability of extracurricular activities and sports, or the availability of advanced classes for their children. While there are other sources that can provide some information on these topics, it is usually best to get this information by contacting the schools directly.


Education - Local Schools/Overseas

Moving from one installation to another in the United States can be challenging enough; but moving with your family overseas can be even more complex. One of the most important challenges can be summed up in one question: "Where will my children go to school?"

Where do I start?

Start with MilitaryINSTALLATIONS to learn more about your new installation. In particular, read the installation's education article. All overseas installations dedicate a portion of the education article to discussing the education options available in the local community, as well as the Department of Defense schools on the installation, if available. Most overseas installations with accompanied family members have one or more Department of Defense school.

What is the difference between a Department of Defense school and an international or national school?

The Department of Defense Education Activity, or DoDEA, operates schools in 11 foreign countries, Guam and Puerto Rico. All DoDEA schools are fully accredited by U.S. accreditation agencies and maintain high academic standards with well-rounded educational programs. Visit the DoDEA website for more detailed information.

The DoDEA's student preregistration system helps streamline the registration process and allows school officials to better predict school enrollment, make more informed decisions regarding teacher and staff requirements, and prepare for special services and supplies. Parents can preregister their children by visiting the DoDEA Online Student Pre-Registration site.

The U.S. Department of State's Office of Overseas Schools works to promote quality educational opportunities for families of American citizens overseas. If a Department of Defense school is not available, visit this site to learn more about the schools in your new area.

In general, international schools are English-language schools at overseas locations. National schools are schools where courses are taught in the native language. The curriculum and grading system of an international school tends to be similar to the traditional American education system. This may be an important consideration if your family will be returning to the U.S. before a child graduates from high school.

Where can I find a list of international schools in the country where my family is moving?

You can find a directory of overseas schools on the U.S. Department of State's Schools Worldwide page. The listing includes schools that receive assistance from the U.S. Department of State, as well as other international, private, religious and public schools.

How do I decide what school is best for my child?

Although you may not have as many choices as you had in the United States, the process for choosing a school for your child is the same. You can begin by making a list of possible schools. Next, you'll want to find out more information about each school. Talk to the relocation personnel at the Military and Family Support Center and with your sponsor, who may be able to put you in touch with other families with children around the same ages as yours. You may also want to contact the school and ask for references.

Once you have narrowed down your options, you may decide you want to schedule an interview with the school or schools. Here are some considerations you may want to discuss:

  • Curriculum
  • Grading system
  • Tuition
  • Accreditations
  • Teachers and other staff
  • Meals
  • Extracurricular programs
  • Transportation
  • Schedule
  • Before- and after-school programs

Now that I have chosen a school, how do I successfully transition my child?

Start planning for a successful school transition as soon as you learn about your move. The more your child knows about what to expect, the more confident your child will feel on the first day of school. Allow your child to be a part of the decision-making process, if appropriate, and take your child's opinions into account.


Education - Training (College/Technical)

Installation Education Center 

About the Army Continuing Education System (ACES)

The Presidio of Monterey Education Center’s mission is to provide professional educational services to support the personal and professional development goals of the Presidio of Monterey community.

Contact Information and Hours of Service

The Education Center hours are Monday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  The Center is closed daily from 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.  To contact us, call 831-242-5325, DSN 312-768-5325, Fax 831-242-6817.

Professional Counseling Services

Guidance counselors are available to assist military personnel and adult family members with achieving educational and occupational goals.  Meeting with a counselor is key to becoming acquainted with programs and services that support your needs.  Counseling is available on a walk-in or appointment basis.

Testing Services

Your Education Center administers the following tests to Service Members at no cost. All testing is conducted by appointment only. Study materials are available from the education center and/or the Aiso Library.

  • General Educational Development (GED) 
  • ACT Assessment Program (ACT) 
  • The SAT 1: Reasoning Test (SAT) 
  • DANTES Standardized Tests (DSST)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) 
  • Excelsior College Examinations (ECE) 
  • Graduate Record Subject Examinations (GRE) 
  • The Praxis Series 
  • Army Flight Aptitude Test (AFAST) 
  • Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT) 
  • Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)
  • Learning Examinations (AFIADL)
  • College independent study examinations 
  • Licensing and certification examinations 

Functional Aptitude Skills Testing

FAST consists of academic instruction designed to provide Service Members the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to participate effectively in the workplace and in society.  Instruction is designed to improve reading, mathematics, writing, speaking, science, and/or computer skills.  Instruction is delivered in a number of ways including with self-study software; basic skills and GT improvement instruction offered during duty hours, year round; open entry/open exit high school completion/GED and English-as-a-second language offered through our community adult schools at no cost, in the day and/or evening.

The Military Learning Center

The Military Learning Facility provides a comfortable location where Service Members can pursue educational and career development research.  The Learning Facility houses workstations with Internet access, DISCOVER – a computer-based guidance system, eLearning courseware, Army correspondence course instruction, basic skills and test preparation software.  Service members can also access a small library of college catalogs, college handbooks, financial aid references, and career information.

Vocational Programs

The Mission Trails Regional Occupational Program (ROP) provides hob training to high school students, adults  and out-of-school youth.  ROP’s vocational education allows students to upgrade their present job skills or learn a trade.

Postsecondary Programs

Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Associate of Arts Degree Program

Servicemembers who complete language studies in residence at DLI earn 45 semester hours toward a college degree. By completing minimal additional general education requirements, students can earn an associate degree in the language studied. For more information visit our website.  

Naval Postgraduate School

This academic institution emphasizes graduate study and research programs relevant to the Department of Defense, including national security affairs.  DLI servicemembers can attend classes on a space available basis at no cost. For more information visit the NPS website

Community College of the Air Force

The Air Force's community college offers associates in applied science in job-related disciplines to Airmen only. Airmen can visit the Air Force Virtual Education Center website to access their CCAF degree progress report as well access one-stop shopping for many higher education needs.

Monterey College of Law (Local College Partner)

A California State Bar accredited community law school offering a four-year program of instruction leading to a Doctor of Jurisprudence through an evening law school program.  For more information visit their website.

Monterey Peninsula College (Local College Partner)

A two-year public community college offering a wide range of associate degree and certificate programs including an Associate of Arts in foreign language. Service members and family members pay in-state tuition rates their first year in California, making postsecondary schooling rates among the lowest in the nation.  MPC is a Service Member's Opportunity College. For more information visit the Monterey Peninsula College website.

Excelsior College (Partner College)

A regionally accredited external degree program in New York State, with no residency requirement, that recognizes credits from accredited colleges, military experience, and college-level proficiency tests towards associate, baccalaureate and master’s degrees.  Excelsior College degrees have been a popular option for Defense Language Institute graduates and for those who have accumulated credit from multiple sources and want to consolidate credit toward an area studies or liberal arts degree.  For more information visit Excelsior College's website.

Chapman University (Partner College)

Chapman University offers nine-week, on-post classes at the Presidio of Monterey Education Center.  The Chapman University extension in Monterey, a private institution, offers baccalaureate degrees in Liberal Studies, Organizational Leadership, Social Science and Psychology.  Master’s degrees offered include Education, Special Education, Psychology and Human Resources, as well as various education-related credentials.  For more information visit the Chapman University website.

California State University Monterey Bay (Local College Partner)

An accredited, four-year state university covering the arts and sciences with graduate degrees, teaching credential programs, and 14 majors that include over 30 concentrations, CSUMB emphasizes applied learning, individualized study, global perspectives, and service learning on a residential campus that benefits from a diverse student population, modern facilities, and sophisticated technologies.  Service Members and their families automatically qualify for California resident rates.  For more information visit the website.

Tuition Assistance

The Department of Defense has a uniform Tuition Assistance (TA) policy that provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs (Soldiers can obtain their TA benefit by accessing The POM Education Center provides tuition assistance counsel to all Service Members.

Veterans Administration (VA) Education Benefits Program

Education Center counselors advise on the Montgomery GI Bill®, College Fund, Veteran's Education Assistance Program, Top-Up and other VA education benefits programs. These benefits support a variety of training including college studies, vocational schooling, apprenticeship/On the Job Training programs, correspondence study and more. Visit our website for a comprehensive review of benefits.

Department of Defense Student Loan Repayment Program

This enlistment incentive benefits all Service Members who contracted for this entitlement by repaying up to $65,000 of qualifying student loans. Eligible Service Members must take an active role in initiating loan repayment documents and ensuring loans remain in forbearance while being repaid by the government.

Federal, State and Private Aid

There are numerous ways to finance one's education. Ask your education professionals about in-state rates at public schools, grants, including the California Board of Governor's Grant, student loans, work-study programs, and scholarships.



Army General Libraries - something for everyone! From art and photographic community related programs, Army libraries have something for everyone. Connect to the world via the Internet. Prepare projects/presentations using office software. Search the library's electronic catalog. Log into Army Knowledge Online from home, office, or library to access full-text databases, magazines, newspapers, ebooks and audio books 24/7 anywhere, anytime. Look for jobs and colleges on-line, take college prep tests and CLEP tests on-line. Research academic and military subjects on-line. Plug into eArmyU throughout your library. Attend a popular programming event for fun and intellectual stimulation. Escape through fiction, keep up with current affairs, find military professional reading material, explore your hobby, find a quiet nook to study or to dream, encourage reading in your young child---whether a singular experience or a family affair, it all adds up to a life enriching experience. Evening and weekend hours accommodate your busy schedule at 71 main libraries and 21 branches world-wide.

Military OneSource On-Line Library

Our mobile military members often don't have the resources of a brick and mortar library on hand to provide entertainment, learning or solace.  The Online Library provides those resources while the members are in transit or deployed. One-stop shopping for all library resources in print, electronic and downloadable format are available online, 24/7. The library provides recreation, lifelong learning, reference, and career resources for all ages and interests. All resources including audio and eBooks are free. Resources are available anywhere in the world where there is access to the internet. 

Military OneSource On-Line Library provides 24/7 access to library materials that include:

  • Ability to download free books from thousands of fiction and non-fiction titles, including animated children's books, or request a free paperback or digital Playaway book from Military OneSource.
  • Access to data bases to pursue education, research careers, fix cars or home appliances, maintain or remodel apartments or homes, and more.



Housing - Overview

Government Housing

Everyone coming to the Presidio with families should be aware that the wait for military family housing can be as long as 90 days during peak moving times, and that civilian housing in the Monterey environs is expensive and scarce. The best decision is to postpone moving families to this area until housing for them has been secured.

Currently there are just over 2,000 military family housing units, of which over 700 were built after 2003. There are many floor plans and styles of homes available to meet the needs of every family. This allows for every military family in the area to have a home within The Parks at Monterey Bay housing area. There are many factors which effect how a home is assigned. Bedroom size of homes is determined by the number, age, and gender of children. Housing area is determined by the service member’s current rank, as housing areas are designated by rank bands throughout the project. For more information regarding availability, housing areas and homes, please visit The Parks at Monterey Bay website.

Residential Communities Initiative

The Residential Communities Initiative (RCI) began at all of the Presidio housing areas and those at the Naval Postgraduate School. Under this process, which is phased in over several years, all of the current houses at Ord Military Community and La Mesa Family Housing will be demolished and replaced with brand new “privatized” houses. The result will be fabulous, but, in the mean time, there will be some disruption in family housing. Check the Presidio website in the detail below, where there is an icon for RCI to find out more as this process unfolds. The bulldozers have started razing the first of the old houses.

All service members who opt for “on Post” housing are required to sign a “month-to- month” lease with Pinnacle Management, the RCI project contractor, authorizing their BAH to flow to Pinnacle.

Monterey Bay Military Housing (MBMH ) (Housing Welcome Center), 1301 Leahy Road, La Mesa Village, Monterey, CA.

All family housing business pertaining to inprocessing, assignments, terminations and inspections will be processed at the MBMH Welcome Center in Monterey. Personnel assigned to the Presidio of Monterey with duty as students at the Defense Language School will probably be assigned housing on the Ord Military Community (formerly Fort Ord), about 8 miles from the school. To sign in and put your names on the housing list, you go to the MBMH office mentioned above.

To get there: Take Highway 1 South to the Monterey exit, Fremont Blvd. Turn left on Aguajito Road at the traffic light. Proceed through the next light and go past the County Court House sign to Farragut Road. Turn right on Farragut Road and follow the street to the end of the road. Turn left on Leahy Street and continue to the next stop sign. Proceed through the intersection (the La Mesa Minimart will be on the right) and continue straight over the hill. After the hill crest, there will be a parking lot. The La Mesa Housing Office is a single, white building to the left of the parking lot. (When facing the building, the La Mesa Elementary School and tennis courts will be behind you).

Application -- Report to the Housing Office with the following documents:

  1. DA FORM 31 Request and Authority for Leave
  2. DA FORM 137 Installation Clearance Record (to establish date departed last duty station)
  3. PCS Orders and verification of dependants
  4. DD Form 93 Emergency Data Card
  5. DD Form 1746 Application for Housing

Single Service Member Housing

The housing of single service members is controlled by each Service unit. There are currently barracks located on the Presidio of Monterey. However if the unit allows the service member to live off-post, The Parks at Monterey Bay does have homes for single service members. Please visit The Parks at Monterey Bay website for more information about single service member requirements.

Key and Essential Personnel

If the service member is believed to be Key and Essential Personnel at the Presidio of Monterey or the Naval Postgraduate School, please contact the Housing Services Office as soon as orders are received. The Housing Services Office cab be reached at 831-242-7979  or DSN 312-768-7979.

Exceptional Family Member Housing

If your family is a part of the Exceptional Family Member Program, please contact the Housing Services Office prior to arrival. This will ensure the needs of your family are properly addressed. The Housing Services Office can be reached at 831-242-7979 or DSN 312-768-7979.

Non-government Housing

The cost of living in the Monterey Peninsula is high, and housing is among the most expensive in the country. Affordable off-post housing is limited. Rental properties in the Monterey Peninsula area range from $1,000 to $1,500 for an unfurnished one-bedroom apartment, to $2,500 to $3,000 for a house. Most landlords do not accept pets, and those that do normally charge between $200 and $300 per pet, in additional deposits, plus a monthly charge. Generally, expect to pay the first and last month’s rent up front; or a deposit plus the rent. 

The Housing Services Office is your contact for any problems you may encounter, such as discrimination complaints, tenant/landlord disputes, or any questions or problems about off-post housing. The Housing Services Office may also provide information regarding the communities in which a rental is located. If you will be living off-post in a rental property, you should purchase a renter’s or tenant’s insurance policy. Your landlord’s insurance does not protect your belongings, only the structure/dwelling. A typical policy costs about $150 per year, and may be required by your lease agreement.

The Housing Service Office is located on Ord Military Community (the former Fort Ord) at Bldg. 4250 General Jim Boulevard.  For more information regarding the services provided by the Housing Services Office please call 831-242-7979 or DSN 312-768-7979.


Housing - Temporary

Temporary Lodging Facilities

Temporary lodging is available at the Presidio of Monterey (POM) and at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS). Reservations must be made in advance. For POM Lodging reservations and information, call the lodging office at 831-645-1199, DSN 312-768-1199. The POM lodging only has two (2) units for pets and there is an additional fee.  Contact POM Lodging for details and room rates.

For NPS Lodging call 831-372-6133, or 800-628-9466.  They have four (4) rooms for pets. There is an additional charge for pets.  Call for further information on room rates and additional fees and to make reservations.

The Navy Gateway Inn & Suites (former BOQ) has rooms available for personnel on PCS orders to Monterey. Those not on orders may call regarding Space Available reservations. They have a strict no pet policy.  The number for reservations, rates and further information is 831-656-2060. 

Off Post Availability

Monterey and the surrounding area is a very popular tourist attraction year round.  While there are many, many motels, hotels and other accommodations in the area it is possible for there to be no vacancies.  Most of the accommodations are very expensive.  Always make reservations and be sure to check the prices.  Even chains that are very reasonable in other sections of the country will have high prices here.


Housing - Government

Family Housing


Currently there are just over 2,000 military family housing units, of which over 700 were built after 2003. There are many floor plans and styles of homes available to meet the needs of every family. This allows for every military family in the area to have a home within The Parks at Monterey Bay housing area. There are many factors which effect how a home is assigned. Bedroom size of homes is determined by the number, age, and gender of children. Housing area is determined by the service member’s current rank, as housing areas are designated by rank bands throughout the project. For more information regarding availability, housing areas and homes, please visit The Parks at Monterey Bay website.


Homes within The Parks at Monterey Bay are typically assigned on a first-come, first served basis and are allocated by rank and family size. If there is a waitlist, your position on that waitlist will be determined by date of application: detachment dates and based on bedroom requirement. Before visiting the management office, be sure to have the following available:

  • A copy of your orders
  • If your orders do not list your dependents by name, then we will need a copy of your record of emergency data (Page 2 - Navy, DD93 – Army) or a copy of DD1172 (DEERS form).
  • If recently married or you have a newborn child: the marriage certificate or birth certificate.

If you receive BAH, you must report to the Housing Services Office in Bldg 4250 on General Jim Moore Boulevard, Ord Military Community (the former Fort Ord) upon your arrival. This should be done prior to making any permanent on or off-post living arrangements.


The Parks at Monterey Bay is happy to have up to four of your family pets join you in your home. There is a standard Pet Policy for Privatized Housing under the Army's Residential Communities Initiative (RCI). For more information regarding the Pet Policy and the Pet Addendum please visit The Parks at Monterey Bay website. 

All residents are required to sign a lease with The Parks at Monterey Bay prior to moving into assigned home. 

For more information regarding the application and move-in, please visit The Parks at Monterey Bay website.

Single Service Member Housing

The housing of single service members is controlled by each Service unit. There are currently barracks located on the Presidio of Monterey. Enlisted Single Service Members in the ranks of E1-E5, are required to reside in the Barracks. Please check with your Service Unit prior to signing for a home. However if the unit allows the service member to live off-post, The Parks at Monterey Bay does have homes for single service members. Please visit The Parks at Monterey Bay website for more information about single service member requirements.


Household Goods - Overview

Arranging Household Goods Shipments

As soon as you are alerted to your upcoming permanent change of station move, you can start getting your house and family ready. Clean up and get rid of junk. Hold a yard sale or donate serviceable items you no longer need. Gather important family records.

If you are moving overseas, begin to plan what items will go in unaccompanied baggage, in your household goods shipment and in permanent storage. Remember, in overseas areas, the electric current may be different and houses are generally much smaller than those in the United States. These are good questions to ask your sponsor.

Household Goods Shipping Process

The Defense Personal Property System is the online system you will use to manage your household goods shipment. For how-to guides to assist with your application go to


Moving with your pet includes researching airline requirements and quarantine restriction laws in your new location. Many airlines have requirements for size, weight, breed, number of animals, kennel construction, documentation and seasonal limitations. Small pets may be shipped on military flights, but availability and regulations are always changing. Search for more general information on shipping pets.

Many international locations have strict importation laws, including extended quarantines and restrictions on breeds or types of animals. Carefully research these rules as they could impact your moving schedule. You may also find some locations in the United States that have restrictions on certain animals and breeds. Review your new installation's "Shipping Pets" in MilitaryINSTALLATIONS for details.

"It's Your Move"

Review the U.S. Transportation Command booklet, "It's Your Move," for detailed information on weight allowances, the household goods shipping process, storage, automobile shipments, claims processes and the customer satisfaction survey.

Installation Specific Information


Household Goods - Shipping Pets


A number of motels, the Lodging at the Presidio, and the Navy Lodge have pet friendly rooms with a deposit or extra fee. Call ahead to verify availability.


Also, you will need to register your pet on post after you move in. Check in with Veterinary Services when you arrive at DSN 312-242-7718. Pets must be registered at the Veterinary Clinic.


There is no quarantine in California for cats and dogs.

Pet Travel

Check with the DOL Transportation office for information about shipping pets, especially overseas (some countries and Hawaii have quarantines). Airline approved pet carriers are available at the Post Exchange. Health certificates for travel are available at the post Veterinary Clinic by appointment.

Rentals and Pets

All housing and apartments have pet deposits and some have a monthly fee for pets.


Special Needs

As many as 15 percent of military families have members with special needs.  These include spouses, children, or dependent parents who require special medical or educational services. These family members have a diagnosed physical, intellectual or emotional condition. The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) serves these families in several ways.

These four articles will provide families with special needs helpful information and points of contact:

  • Enrollment/EFMP – This article discusses the Exceptional Family Member Program enrollment, which is mandatory for all military personnel who have a member of their family with a medical or educational disability.  The article discusses the purpose of enrollment, the process and provides Service-specific differences. 
  • Family Support/EFMP – This article discusses the family support function of the EFMP, which may include information and referral support (to military and community resources), financial management assistance, relocation assistance, and for some families, case management.  The article provides Service-specific differences and identifies the point of contact at each installation.
  • Health Care/Special Needs -  The military health care system supports families with special needs in a number of ways.  This article describes the special services and provides the point of contact at the Military Treatment Facility.
  • Special Education/EIS – Describes two programs that provide educational intervention for children with disabilities who are from birth to three (early intervention services) or are school aged (3-21) (special education). 


Special Needs - EFMP Enrollment

What is the EFMP?

The EFMP supports military families with special medical and educational considerations. The program has three components:

  • Identification and enrollment of a family member with special medical and/or educational considerations.
  • Assignment coordination to determine the availability of services at the projected duty station.
  • Family support to help families identify and access programs and services.

Identification and Enrollment Who should enroll?

Family members with special medical or educational considerations, including a spouse, child, or a dependent adult, should enroll in the program. This includes family members who:

  • require special medical services for a chronic diagnosed condition such as asthma, attention deficit disorder, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, etc.
  • receive ongoing services from a medical specialist
  • have significant behavioral health concerns
  • receive early intervention or special education services through an individualized education program (IEP) or individualized family service plan (IFSP)

Why enroll in the EFMP?

EFMP enrollment ensures a family member's diagnosed medical and educational needs are considered during the assignment process. It also allows families to receive the support and assistance they need to navigate medical and educational systems.

How to enroll in the EFMP?

Enrollment in the EFMP is mandatory for active duty military members; members of the Guard or Reserves may enroll according to Service-specific guidance. Paperwork required for enrollment in the EFMP is available from the EFMP medical point of contact at the installation military treatment facility (MTF) or, in the Marine Corps, from local installation's EFMP offices, Marine and Family Services. The forms are also available through the EFMP MCCS website. The forms for enrollment are:

  • DD Form 2792, Family Member Medical Summary. In order to document medical needs, the service member, spouse, or adult family member completes the demographic information on pages 1-3. The remainder is completed by the family member's physician or other qualified medical professional, and includes the diagnosis, frequency of care, medication, and any special accommodations required by the family member (pages 4-7). Addendums (pages 8-11) are included and completed as applicable.
  • DD Form 2792-1, Special Education/Early Intervention Summary. In order to document educational needs, the sponsor, parent, or legal guardian completes items 1 - 7 of the first page, as well as 1 and 2 on the second page. The remainder of the form is completed by school or early intervention program personnel. The form includes the child's educational diagnosis and is accompanied by a copy of the IEP or individual family service plan (IFSP)

After the appropriate medical and/or educational provider completes the form, they must be returned to the EFMP medical point of contact.

Assignment Coordination

What is assignment coordination?

The military mission is the driving force behind the assignment process, but the EFMP enrollment ensures that a family member's special needs are considered in the process. Assignment coordination occurs when the personnel command requests medical and/or educational professionals to review a family member's documented needs to determine the availability of services at a projected location.

Why is assignment coordination important?

Assignment coordination is important because access to appropriate medical and educational services may be limited in some locations, especially in overseas and remote locations. When assignment coordination occurs, family members receive the care and support they require and the service member can focus more clearly on mission-related responsibilities.


Special Needs - EFMP Family Support

What is the EFMP?

The EFMP supports military families with special medical and educational considerations. The program has three components:

  • Identification and enrollment of a family member with special medical and/or educational considerations.
  • Assignment coordination to determine the availability of services at the projected duty station.
  • Family support to help families identify and access programs and services.

Family Support

What is Family Support?

EFMP family support helps families identify and access programs and services. Family support includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • information and referral for military and community services
  • education and training about issues related to the special considerations
  • referral to other family support center providers
  • promotion of self-advocacy
  • local school and early intervention services (EIS) information
  • warm handoffs to the EFMP at the next location
  • non-clinical case management, including individualized services plans

Where are EFMP family support providers located?

EFMP family support providers are primarily located at installation family support centers. For families who are not located near an installation, consult your Service website for more information about accessing services or call Military OneSource at 1-800-342-9647.


Special Needs - Health Care

Military treatment facilities

The clinics and services available at military treatment facilities vary by location. Before you move, identify the military treatment facility that will serve you, visit its website to learn about the services available and get contact information.

Moving to a new TRICARE region

If you anticipate a move to another TRICARE region, work with your local TRICARE service center or case manager before your move to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible. On arrival at the new duty location, you or your sponsor should contact the beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinator or the TRICARE service center to ensure the transition plans are in place and to obtain authorizations for TRICARE Extended Care Health Option services, if applicable.

Beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinator

All TRICARE regional offices and most military treatment facilities are staffed with beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinators. They provide information, guidance and assistance on benefit options, TRICARE Prime enrollment, special authorizations, status of claims, eligibility and assistance with referrals and appointments. If you or your family member has more severe needs, contact your TRICARE case manager.

Case management

Case management involves a team of health care professionals who help you and your family find solutions to complex health problems. It is important to inform your case manager if you are moving as he or she will connect you with the case manager at your new location.

Extended Care Health Option

The Extended Care Health Option provides financial assistance to beneficiaries of active-duty service members who qualify based on specific mental or physical disabilities. The Extended Care Health Option offers an integrated set of services and supplies beyond the basic TRICARE program. Regional contractors in each of the TRICARE regions and overseas administer the program.

Transporting medical equipment

Contact your installation’s household goods/transportation office for information on special procedures for the transportation of medical equipment.

Federal and state health care programs

Medicaid provides health coverage for individuals and families with low incomes or have a disability. The department of social services or the department of medical assistance may administer the Medicaid program in your state. Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is a cash assistance program intended to meet basic needs for disabled adults and children who have limited resources. Families must reapply after moving to a new state.

Many states offer services for children with special health care needs funded by the Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant, or Title V. State departments of health websites and local health departments can provide information on state health benefits. The Maternal and Child Health Bureau website has more information, including state points of contact.

Other important resources

TRICARE debt collection assistance officers assigned to regional offices and military treatment facilities worldwide can help beneficiaries understand and get assistance with debt collection issues related to TRICARE.

Installation Specific Information

Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)

Army Community Service Exceptional Family Member Program will help with the enrollment process for each branch of service, and assist with information about housing, education, medical services, relocation, referral support groups and advocacy. Any child or adult with any physical, emotional, developmental or intellectual disability that requires special treatment, therapy, education, training or counseling is an Exceptional Family Member and must be enrolled in this program.

The Presidio of Monterey does not have a military hospital, and all family member medical care is provided by civilian TRICARE providers. Specialized medical care is limited in the Monterey/Salinas area. The local hospitals are between 10 and 20 miles away. The closest major medical centers are located in Palo Alto, about 80 miles and San Francisco, about 110 miles.


Education - Special Education/EIS

Early Intervention and Special Education Services

Children from birth to 3 years of age

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, or IDEA, requires all states and territories to provide early intervention services to children from birth to 3 years of age who have or are at risk for having developmental delays. Local school districts or health departments often provide these early intervention services. The program is called by different names in different areas, but it is often called Part C (because Part C is the section of the law that pertains to early intervention). The National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center provides a list of state Part C directors and funded programs on their website. Also, Military OneSource can assist you in identifying early intervention programs in your area.

When moving, you should hand carry copies of your child's individual family service plan and the most current evaluation reports to your new home to ensure they are not lost.

Children between 3 and 21 years of age

The IDEA requires all states and territories provide special education services to eligible children between the ages of 3 and 21. Each local school district has a special education director, and each school should have an individualized education program team or school-based committee that attends to students with special education needs.

The IDEA requires that if a child transfers to a different district in the same state, the receiving school must provide comparable services until the new school develops and implements a new individualized education program. If a child transfers to another state, the receiving district must provide comparable services until the receiving district completes an evaluation and creates a new individualized education program.

If you are moving and your child receives special education and related services, you should hand carry all pertinent school and medical documents, including the individualized education program and current evaluation reports. Hand carrying these documents ensures that they are not lost and allows the new school district to begin the process as soon as you move.

Other resources

Parent Training and Information Centers serve families and adults with special needs from birth to age 26. They assist families in getting appropriate education and services for their children, work to improve education services for all children, train and inform parents and professionals, resolve problems between families and schools or other agencies, and connect those with disabilities to community resources. Find out more at the Center for Parent Information and Resources website.

Installation Specific Information

All Special Education in the schools that support the Presidio is provided by the local school district, Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (MPUSD). Special needs children must go through a screening process for the Child Care Center. For more information see the Special Education section under Community Education.


Health Care - Overview

Moving With TRICARE

Whether moving stateside or overseas, active duty families can now switch their TRICARE Prime enrollment by phone! Before you start your move, contact your losing TRICARE health care contractor to see if you need to switch to a new region. TRICARE does the rest! You must update DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) with your new address so you do not have any disruptions in service and your enrollment moves with you. Get contact information, and more TRICARE moving tips on the TRICARE website.

Your TRICARE coverage is completely portable-meaning it moves with you. You are covered worldwide-both in-transit to your new duty location and once you arrive-but depending on where you go, you may use a different TRICARE health plan option. Additionally, you may have different enrollment steps depending on which health plan option is available in your new area.

When Enrolled in a TRICARE Prime Option

The TRICARE Prime options include TRICARE Prime and TRICARE Prime Remote for stateside and TRICARE Prime Overseas and TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas for overseas. Follow these simple steps to set-up Prime coverage in your new location without a break in coverage.

  1. Do not disenroll from your TRICARE Prime option before you move.
  2. Call your losing contractor and provide information about your upcoming move; new duty station, expected date of arrival, cell phone number, valid email address, and eligible family members moving to the new location.
  3. Your losing contractor passes the information along to your new contractor.
  4. Within five days of your anticipated arrival, your new contractor will try to call/contact you to confirm your arrival and enrollment choices.
  5. Once you agree to the transfer, the process is complete. It could take up to four days, but you never lose TRICAREPrime/Prime Remote coverage.

There are other ways to set-up Prime in your new area:

  1. Before moving, visit your local TRICARE Service Center to complete an enrollment change form.
  2. Go online and set-up your new enrollment via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment website.
  3. Download and complete a TRICARE Prime Enrollment Application and PCM Change Form. Mail it to the new contractor or drop it at a local TRICARE Service Center.
  4. Enroll when you in-process at your new duty station.

Enrollment and assignment of a new primary care manager (PCM) should occur within 30 days when moving within the same region, a new region or overseas.

Update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately, as your new location reflected in DEERS is the key to transferring enrollment.

Where you are moving determines which Prime option is available.

Prime Options in the United States


TRICARE Prime is offered in Prime Service Areas-geographic areas typically located around a military treatment facility-throughout the country.

TRICARE Prime Remote

In non-Prime service areas, which are generally 60 minutes (one hour) drive-time or 50 miles from the nearest MTF, TRICARE offers TRICARE Prime Remote. Enrollment is normally with a network provider when available; otherwise, enrollment is with a TRICARE authorized provider who manages all of your care. Any TRICARE-eligible family members living with you in a TRICARE Prime Remote area can enroll in TRICARE Prime Remote for active duty family members. Be sure to include them on the enrollment form.



Managed Care Support Partner

Call Toll-Free



Health Net Federal Services, Inc.



Humana Military Healthcare Services, Inc.



UnitedHealthcare Military & Veterans


Prime Options Outside the United States

TRICARE Prime Overseas (TOP)/TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas

TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas is a Prime option offered in designated remote overseas locations. Command-sponsored family members who reside with you are eligible for TRICARE Prime Overseas. Be sure to include all family members who wish to use TRICARE Prime Overseas.

Before you move to another overseas area or to an area within the United States, contact the nearest TRICARE Service Center or managed care contractor for assistance.

TRICARE - Eurasia - Africa TRICARE - Latin America and Canada TRICARE - Pacific
TOP Regional Call Center (1)
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Medical Assistance (2)

TOP Regional Call Center (1)
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Medical Assistance (2)


TOP Regional Call Center (1)
Singapore: +65-6339-2676
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Sydney: +61-9273-2710
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Medical Assistance (2)
Singapore: +65-6338-9277
Sydney: +61-2-9273-2760


TRICARE Area Office

314-496-6314 (DSN)

Toll Free: 1-888-777-8343, option #1

TRICARE Area Office

312-554-8520 (DSN)

Toll Free: 1-888-777-8343 option #3

TRICARE Area Office

315-643-2036 (DSN)

Toll Free (If calling from U.S.):
Singapore: 1-877-678-1208
Sydney: 1-877-678-1209

Health Care Claims
(Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims
PO Box 7968
Madison, WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims
(Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims
P.O. Box 7968
Madison WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims
(Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims
PO Box 7968
Madison, WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims
(Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Program
P.O. Box 8976
Madison, WI 53708-8976 USA

Health Care Claims
(Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Program
PO Box 7985
Madison, WI 53707-7985 USA

Health Care Claims
(Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Program
PO Box 7985
Madison, WI 53707-7985 USA

(1) For toll-free numbers contact
(2) Only call Medical Assistance numbers to coordinate overseas emergency care

When Using TRICARE Standard and Extra

TRICARE Standard and Extra are available to family members only. Active duty service members are required to enroll in one of the Prime options described above.

TRICARE Standard and Extra are available throughout the United States and enrollment is not required. Any eligible active duty family member who is registered in DEERS may use these programs by seeing any network (Extra) or non-network TRICARE authorized provider. In areas outside of the United States, active duty family members who do not want to use a Prime option may use TRICARE Standard Overseas by seeing qualified host nation providers.

If you are already using TRICARE Standard and Extra, moving is easy.

  1. Once you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately.
  2. Find TRICARE-authorized providers in your new area.

Here are a few things to remember about using TRICARE Standard and Extra in a new region

  • In the U.S.: Visit your new regional contractor's website for a list of network providers. Remember, if you see network providers, you will be using the Extra option and pay lower cost shares.
  • Outside of the U.S.: Contact International SOS or the MTF Service Center for help locating a qualified host nation provider. The TRICARE Extra option is not available in overseas areas.
  • If you move to a new region, you will have a new claims address for submitting your TRICARE claims.
  • Learn your new region's prior authorization requirements because these requirements can differ by region.

When Using TRICARE For Life

TRICARE For Life-TRICARE's supplemental coverage for those who are eligible for Medicare and have purchased Medicare Part B - requires no enrollment and you will have a smooth transition when you move. TRICARE for Life contact information: WPS TRICARE For Life, P.O. Box 7889, Madison, WI 53707-7889; 1-866-773-0404; TDD 1-866-773-0405.

  • Once you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately.
  • Find Medicare providers in your new area.
  • Visit Medicare's website.

If you move overseas, your TRICARE For Life coverage may change depending on where you move. In U.S. Territories such as Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, TRICARE For Life coverage works the same as the stateside program. But, in all other overseas locations, TRICARE For Life Overseas works differently because Medicare does not provide coverage in most overseas locations. Therefore, TRICARE is the primary payer. You can get care from any host nation provider and may have to pay up front for care received. You will be responsible for TRICARE deductibles and cost shares.

Contact International SOS, or the TRICARE Area Office for the overseas area where you are moving, or the nearest American Embassy Health Unit for assistance finding a host nation provider.

Note*** Active Duty and Active Duty Family Members are not required to purchase Medicare Part B until the sponsor is ready to retire or during the special enrollment period. However, it is highly encouraged to purchase it once eligible to avoid loss of TRICARE coverage.

Getting Care Along the Way

Routine Medical and Dental Care-Get it before you go.

Before you move, make sure you have received any routine medical or dental care you think you might need during the time you will be traveling. Or, delay the care until you get to your new duty location. Check supply of all prescription medications and get refills/new prescriptions until you can make an appointment with your new Primary Care Manager (PCM) at your new duty site.

Emergency Care in the United States-Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

TRICARE defines emergency care as medical services provided for a sudden or unexpected medical or psychiatric condition, or the sudden worsening of a chronic (ongoing) condition that is threatening to life, limb, or sight and needs immediate medical treatment, or which has painful symptoms that need immediate relief to stop suffering. If you are near a military treatment facility (MTF), you should go to the MTF or military dental treatment facility for emergency services. If you are seen in a civilian facility, contact your PCM or regional contractor within 24 hours.

Urgent care in the United States-Coordinate with your PCM and/or regional contractor.

TRICARE defines urgent care as medical care for a condition that will not result in disability or death if not treated immediately but should be treated within 24 hours to avoid further complications. If you are in a Prime program, you must coordinate urgent care with your primary care manager and/or regional contractor before receiving the care. If you are in TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE For Life, you can receive care as you normally would. You should, however, contact your contractor as soon as possible to coordinate any prior authorizations that are needed.

Emergency or Urgent care Overseas follow these steps

AD and ADFM enrolled in TRICARE Prime and travelling outside the United States:

  • Contact the TRICARE Area Office, or go to their website for assistance finding Emergency or Urgent care.

AD and ADFM stationed overseas:

  • For Urgent care coordination, contact your MTF PCM, or
  • Contact the closest TRICARE Area Office, or
  • Contact the TRICARE Overseas Regional Call Center, or
  • Go to their website (

You do not need prior authorization for emergency or urgent care but the TRICARE Area Office or TRICARE Global Remote Call Center will help you find the best care available in the overseas area in which you are traveling.

Filling Prescriptions on the Road

You should have all your prescriptions filled before you leave, but if you need a prescription filled while you are traveling in the United States, you have several options:

  • If near an MTF, fill the prescription at the MTF pharmacy.
  • Find the closest TRICARE network pharmacy.
  • If a network pharmacy is not available, you can visit a non-network pharmacy. In this case, you may have to pay up front for your medications and file a claim with Express Scripts, Inc., for reimbursement. For more details, visit the TRICARE website.
  • The TRICARE home-delivery is not recommended for a prescription you need right away, but if you'll be away for a long time, you can arrange for any regular prescriptions to be filled via the mail-order pharmacy.

Your pharmacy coverage is limited overseas:

  • TRICARE network pharmacies are only located in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You can have prescriptions filled at host-nation pharmacies, if necessary. Host-nation pharmacies are treated the same as non-network pharmacies. If you have prescriptions filled at a host-nation pharmacy, you should expect to pay for the total amount up front and file a claim with Wisconsin Physicians Service for partial reimbursement. To learn more about pharmacy claims, visit the TRICARE website.
  • To use the mail-order pharmacy overseas, the prescription must be from a U.S. licensed provider and you must have an APO or FPO address.

If You Have Questions

Your regional contractors and TRICARE Area Offices are available to answer your questions. These offices are listed above. Find even more information about moving, updating DEERS, the TRICARE regions and much more at the TRICARE website.

Installation Specific Information

Medical Care

Quality health care is available to the military community through the Presidio of Monterey Army Health Clinic and the three hospitals in the area.

The medical services on the Presidio through the Army Medical Health Clinic are for active duty military only. The exception is that there is a group of Pediatricians that comes on Post to provide services through TRICARE. All other family member services are through local providers. Necessary services are provided by the three hospitals in the community, with unusual or special services available in the San Francisco Bay area.

Referrals -- In order to ensure the best of medical care, referrals are made to David Grant Medical Center at Travis Air Force Base (140 miles) for treatment of problems for which the local facilities are not staffed. Also available is the Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto (90 miles), and all the facilities in San Francisco.

Retirees and family members will be using the TRICARE health Program, and will use designated providers in the community.

Dental Care

There is one dental clinic for active duty personnel on the Presidio of Monterey. It is a good idea to sign up for the Dental plan through TRICARE for family members.


Child and Youth Programs

The Department of Defense takes great pride in the variety and quality of services provided to children and youth on installations worldwide. While the services provided may vary by location, the standards and quality of services are consistent and meet established regulations.

Child development centers

Child development centers generally offer child care for children ages 6 weeks to 5 years. Care is available Monday through Friday, with some locations offering options, such as extended hours, weekend care and respite care. Child development centers vary in size and larger installations may operate multiple facilities. Programs are certified by the Department of Defense and accredited by a national accrediting body, such as the National Association for the Education of Young Children.

Family child care

Children ages 2 weeks to 12 years may receive care in the private home of a certified care provider living in government-owned or leased housing. Care may also be provided in a state-licensed home in the community. In-home child care is typically available weekdays and with additional care provided during evenings, weekends and flexible hourly care for shift work. Regulations limit the number of children who receive care at any one time to no more than six children under age 8 and no more than two children under age 2. Family child care providers must be certified to operate by the installation. Individual providers may voluntarily seek national accreditation from the National Association of Family Child Care.

School-age programs

School-age programs provide care to children in kindergarten through sixth grade. Care is offered before and after school, during non-school days and summer vacations. School-age programs may be located in Department of Defense youth centers, child development centers or in other suitable facilities. All programs are certified by the Department of Defense and accredited by a national accrediting body, such as the Council on Accreditation.

Youth programs

Dynamic programs for youth ages 5 through 18 years are provided in approximately 300 youth and teen program facilities worldwide. A wide variety of offerings includes activities in physical fitness and sports, the arts, life skills, career and volunteer opportunities. Installation programs may also collaborate with other youth-serving organizations, like the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and USDA/4-H programs.

Waiting lists

Military families may be placed on a waiting list for child care when care is not available. Families may request child care through one of two processes:

  1. Visit The Department of Defense website for military families seeking child care provides access to military-operated child care options across all services. Families may search for and request care, manage their requests, and update their profile online, making it easier for them to find the child care they need.
  2. Fill out DD Form 2606, Department of Defense Child Development Program Request for Care Record and return it to the child development center, school-age care facility or resource and referral office on the installation.


Child Care

Child Development Center (CDC)

The Monterey Road Child Development Center is located on Monterey Road at the Ord Military Community. The Monterey Road CDC programs include: full day care, part-day care, infant and pre-school programming.

We have an Infant Toddler staff that participates in the nationally acclaimed Program for Infant Toddler Caregivers sponsored by the California Department of Education. Our excellent Preschool Staff participates in the Heads up for Reading training, sponsored in part by the California Association for the Education of Young Children. Our children, thus, get a head start in what they need to succeed in Kindergarten. Our teacher-child ratio is one to ten. The Monterey Road CYS has an acclaimed culinary academy graduate with staff, to prepare children's meals, breakfast, lunch and snacks.


Children must be members of active duty, retired military, DoD civilian, military reserve component service families on continuous active duty or active duty for training, or California State University Monterey Bay (CSUMB) staff. Ages accepted are 6 weeks old through 5 years old.


A valid ID card must accompany the immunization record to register a child. The registration fee is $15.

For more information on any CDC program, please give us a call at 831-583-1050.

Programs Offered -- Several options are offered for day care, including:

  • Full day - Program offered Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Part-day - Program offered 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Preschool programs for children ages three to five years old. Families have the option of enrolling two, three, or five days a week.
  • Hourly care - Program offered 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Care provided for children six weeks to five years old. Reservations may be placed up to 30 days in advance of service.


Fees for all child care programs are based on a sliding scale and figured by total family income.

Family Child Care (FCC)

The Family Child Care, commonly referred to as FCC, is a program offering a home-based alternative to Child Development Services center-based programs. All persons who provide childcare in government quarters (over 10 child hours per week) are required to be certified through this program.

The FCC staff maintains a registry of homes to provide assistance to parents desiring FCC services for children, 4 weeks through 12 years of age.

FCC offices are located in Bldg. 4251 and can be reached at 831-242-7197. The FCC office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

School Age Services (SAS)

The SAS program is provided at Porter Youth Center. Located at the Ord Military Community, this is the place for before and after school care of children Kindergarten age through age 12. The Center is open 6:30 a.m. until 6 p.m., Monday thru Friday for school-age care.

Care during school breaks is available as well. During school breaks, teacher workdays, etc., the programs operates on a full day basis. Meals for the program are provided by the Child Development Services Child Care Food Program.

Field trips, games, outdoor activities, computers, homework time and tutoring are all a part of the activities of the Before and After School/Summer Camp Program!

For information about school age care, you may call 831-242-6595.

Supplemental Programs

Special Needs

Special needs programs are available in both FCC homes and the CDC. Child placement is made in coordination with the special needs program coordinator.

Short Term Alternative Child Care (STACC)

This is an on-site childcare program in a unit or organization setting provided by trained child development caregivers. STACC sessions are held in the same facility, or in a building adjacent to the facility, in which parents are attending a unit/organization function. These sites must be inspected and pre-approved for on-site child care in accordance with minimum STACC facility standards. Evening and weekend care is available for unity through STACC.

The Supplemental Program office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and they can be reached at 831-242-7197.


Youth Services

Youth Services

The Porter Youth Center is located at Building 4283 General Jim Moore Boulevard, on the corner of Normandy and General Jim Moore Boulevard on Ord Military Community. Porter Youth Center is nationally accredited through the National Afterschool Association (NAA). The center strives to provide a safe, healthy, fun place for children to relax, socialize and just be a kid. Its programs enrich their childhood years through positive experiences during out-of-school hours, and provides many opportunities for success by fostering self-acceptance, self-esteem, and independence.

Programming includes four service areas:

  • Recreation & Leisure: Planned activities such as field trips, weekend lock-ins and a variety of games.
  • Sports & Fitness: Daily sports and fitness activities and seasonal organized sports such as baseball, football, etc.
  • Mentoring & Support Services: Includes “Power Hour” homework lab, tutoring class and parent & youth support groups.
  • Life Skills & Citizenship: Computer lab, community services, youth sponsorship and home-alone skills are offered.

For more information, contact the Porter Youth Center at 831-242-7823, DSN 312-768-7823.

Youth Sponsorship

The School Liaison Officer facilitates the Youth Sponsorship program for the Presidio of Monterey. Youth Sponsorship is a way to match relocating military youth with a youth at the new installation, to answer their questions, send them information, and maybe take them around the new installation once they arrive. Nobody knows a place better form the young person’s perspective than another young person who has been living in the area for awhile.

To become a youth sponsor a youth will submit an application form with parental approval and complete Youth Sponsorship training. To request a youth sponsor an incoming youth can either email or mail a request for a sponsor. Information about requesting a youth sponsor can be found on the DLI/POM website: 

School-Age Services (SAS)

SAS is for children in kindergarten through 5th grade. SAS provides high-quality, low-cost before and after-school care throughout the school year. Care is also available for school holidays, breaks and summer vacation. Hourly care is also available and children grades 1-5 are eligible for 5 free hours per month.

Daily activities include arts & crafts, open recreation, science, cooking, homework lab, and outside play. Special activities include karaoke, field trips, dances, talent shows and special interest clubs.  SAS is a member of the 4H Club and the Boys and Girls Club. Hours are 6:30 a.m - 6:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday. For more information, call 831-242-7823, DSN 312-768-7823.

Middle-School/Teen (MST)

The MST program offers services for children grade 6 through age 18. A variety of activities are available including basketball, movies, video games, chess, photography, homework lab, computers, and music. Also offered are teen clubs, service projects, field trips, afternoon snack and more. MST is a member of the 4H Club and the Boys and Girls Club.

The teen program drop-in schedule is weekday afternoons and Saturdays. Weekday morning care is also available for an additional fee. Afternoon care for younger middle schoolers is available, similar to SAS for those who want a more structured environment. Bus transportation to and from Fitch Middle School is offered for a nominal charge or is included with the morning care fee.  MST is open for extended hours during school breaks and teacher in-service days.  Field trips and special activities are available for an additional fee during certain extended hours programs.

Hours are Monday thru Thursday, 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.; Friday 3:00 - 10:00 p.m.; and Saturday 12:00 - 6:00 p.m. For more information call 831-242-7821, DSN 312-768-7821.

SKIES Unlimited (School of Knowledge, Inspiration, Exploration and Scholarship)

Instructional classes may include ballet, gymnastics, martial arts, and music.  Other classes are offered depending on interest. If you have a special talent or skill and would like to teach a class, please contact 831-242-7197 to find out more about becoming a SKIES instructor.

Youth Sports Program

A variety of sports opportunities are offered for children ages 4 through grade 12, including (but not limited to): basketball - offered December to March, ages 6 and up, baseball – offered March to June, ages 5 and up, track – offered March to June for ages 5 and up, and soccer – offered July to November for ages 4 and up.  A Sports Physical is required before eligible children can participate. Coaches are parent volunteers; if you are interested in coaching please contact 831-242-7809 for more information and to receive a volunteer packet.

Youth Employment

Employment opportunities for youth in Monterey County, as with the rest of the country, are somewhat limited. There are two youth employment programs operated by the State of California Employment Development Department: the Youth Employment Opportunity Program (YEOP), and the Summer Youth Programs offered by the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).

The YEOP offers special services to youth ages 15-21, including peer advising, referrals to supportive services, workshops, job referrals and placement assistance and referrals to training and community outreach efforts. Programs are reached through one-stop career centers and workforce career offices throughout the state.  The website contains information for youth programs offered by WIA.

Youth Religious Programs

The Chapel at Ord Military Community, which is located at Building 4280 General Jim Moore, has two different youth religious programs. Club Beyond, part of Young Life Youth Ministries, is a Christian youth group for middle school and high school students, meeting Monday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. There is also a Bible Study and Teen Fellowship group which meets on Wednesday evenings. For more information please contact the Chapel Youth Coordinator at 831-242-5396. There is also a youth program which meets Wednesday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m., which is open to high school students 9th to 12th grade. For more information, please contact the Chapel at 831-242-7620.

Cub Scouts

Since its beginning, the Cub Scout program has been a fun and educational experience concerned with values.  Besides providing a positive place where boys ages 7 to 10 can enjoy safe, wholesome activities, Cub Scouting focuses on building character, improving physical fitness, teaching practical skills, and developing a spirit of community service.

Cub Scout Pack 135, chartered by the Seaside American Legion Post #591, has served families of Ord Military Community, Seaside, Del Rey Oaks, and Marina for more than 50 years.  Pack 135 meets at the Scout Hut located at 4243 Gigling Road, across from the Stilwell Community Center.  Enrollment for all boys in the 1st through 5th grades is open year-round. For more information, please contact the Cubmaster at 831-393-1892. Pack 135 is served by the Monterey Bay Area Council, 831-422-5338.

Boy Scouts of America

The Boy Scouts of America seeks to train youth in responsible citizenship, character development, and self-reliance through participation in a wide range of outdoor activities, educational programs, and at older age levels, career-oriented programs in partnership with community organizations.  For younger members, the Scout method is used to inculcate typical Scouting values such as honesty, good citizenship, and outdoor skills, through a variety of activities such as camping, aquatics, and hiking.

Ord Military Community (OMC) has a Boy Scout Troop 135 which has been active for 50 years, in conjunction with the Cub Scouts Troop 135. There is also a Venture Crew Troop 135 for older boys ages 14 to 21. They are members of the Monterey Bay Area Council located in Salinas. Boy Scout Troop 135 meets in Building 4243 Gigling Road on Tuesday nights from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. The Boys Scouts on post can be contacted through the local council at 831-422-5538. In addition the Boy Scouts on OMC are chartered by American Legion Post 591 in Seaside. The Troop and Pack provide Scouting support to the communities of Seaside, Del Rey Oaks, Sand City and California State University, Monterey Bay. The Venture Crew 135 also meeting at the same location, in Building 4243 Gigling Road.

Girl Scouts at Ord Military Community

Girl Scouts of the USA is the world’s preeminent organization dedicated solely to girls where in an accepting an nurturing environment, girls build character and skills for success in the real world. In partnership with committed adult volunteers, girls develop qualities that will serve them all their lives, like leadership, strong values, social conscience, and conviction about their own potential and self-worth.

Families at OMC are served by several troops serving various age levels. Enrollment is open year-round for all girls ages 5 to 18. Girl Scout troops are served by the Girl Scouts of California Central Coast Council. For more information, please call GSCCC at 1-800-624-4757.


New Parent Support Program

General Program Description

The Army New Parent Support Program provides services that support soldier readiness and the well-being of the Army family. The New Parent Support Program - Home Visitation is a standardized Family Advocacy Program secondary prevention program for parents whose life circumstances place them at risk for engaging in child abuse and neglect. The program delivers intensive, strengths-based home visitation services developed specifically for expectant parents and parents of children from birth to 3 years of age to enhance the protective factors and reduce the risk of factors associated with child abuse and neglect. The program is voluntary.

Goals of the Army New Parent Support Program include the following:

  • Contribute to mission readiness
  • Support family member adaptation to military life
  • Enhance the knowledge and skills family members need to form healthy relationships and provide safe, nurturing environments for children
  • Foster a supportive military community for young military families

Staff qualifications

New Parent Support Program home visitor staff include licensed clinical social workers and registered nurses. Local installation or state background checks, including Army Central Registry checks, will be completed on all personnel who provide services to parents and their children, and those checks will be updated annually.


Program services are available to military families with an expectant mother or with children 3 years of age or younger.


Interested families may contact the local Army Community Service office or their health care provider for more information on the New Parent Support Program.

Installation Specific Information

The following New Parent Support Programs are offered by Army Community Service:

"Healthy Beginnings" - (Expectant Parent Classes) -- These classes are for expectant mothers and offer support throughout their pregnancy through the birth of their child. Topics include: pregnancy and fetal development, labor and delivery, postpartum care, breastfeeding and caring for your newborn. Classes are offered every quarter. Registration is required. Call for more information or to register at 831-242-7660.

"Parents' Place at OMC" -- This is a program for parents and their young children. Play groups are offered for children zero to three years of age. Meet share and learn with other parents as we strive to understand the world of the newborn and the curiosity of the toddler. Enjoy music and fingerplay, learn about child development, discover art activities together, and meet other moms and dads as you share your child's and your struggles and joys. Registration is required: Call ACS for information on the date and time of the class that is appropriate for your child's age. 

Parents as Teachers -- In home parenting program for families with children zero to three years of age. The program is based on two important concepts: Parents are their child's first and most influential teacher; experiences in the first years of a child's life are key to future success. Parents as Teachers offer:

  • Personal Visits - Certified educators help you understand each stage of your child's development and offer practical tips on ways to encourage learning.
  • Group Meetings - These programs allow parents to get together, share common concerns and gain new insights.
  • Screenings - Periodic screening checks for: overall development, language, hearing and vision.  

Call the Family Advocacy Program Manager for a screening appointment at 831-242-7653.


Family Center

Programs and services

As a gateway to the resources you need, the Military and Family Support Center provides information, support and services to help you balance the demands of military life. The Military and Family Support Center is one part of the overall Family Readiness System, which is the network of agencies, programs, services, partnerships and individuals that supports your personal and family life readiness, mobilization and deployment readiness, and mobility and economic readiness. It should be one of your first stops once you arrive at a new installation. The programs and services are a key resource for you and your family. They include:

  • Deployment support assists you and your family during all phases of the deployment cycle, providing workshops and services to help meet the challenges of deployment, as well as information and referral to deployment-related resources. Services include education briefings for deploying members and families, support services, morale calls and service-specific programs.
  • Relocation assistance provides an array services to meet your moving needs. Relocation services include, but are not limited to, relocation workshops that help you prepare for a move, information on installations and communities worldwide and, where offered, a loan closet for basic household items. Relocation assistance also includes assistance with in-transit emergencies. Military and Family Support Centers work with other installation agencies to keep relocation information current, timely and relevant to allow you to make informed decisions and ensure you experience a smooth and successful move.
  • Personal financial management provides information, education and one-on-one financial counseling to assist you and your family in maintaining your financial readiness. Services are designed to address money management issues throughout your active-duty lifecycle and into retirement. Financial readiness educational opportunities range from basic planning to long-term investing.
  • Employment assistance offers comprehensive information, tools and resources to support career exploration, training and licensing, and employment readiness. Military and Family Support Centers may offer career counseling, local labor market information, trend tracking, skills and interests identification, job bank referrals and resources for self-employment.
  • Family life education provides information and education to assist you and your family in developing resilience skills that can help as you navigate your mobile military lives.
  • Information and Referral can assist you in identifying and clarifying needs to determine appropriate forms of assistance and in locating services and programs available both on and off your installation.
  • The Transition Assistance Program prepares separating, retiring and demobilizing service members (and their families) with the information, skills and knowledge necessary for a successful transition from military to civilian life. The first step in your transition process is to complete the congressionally mandated pre-separation counseling session, which furnishes detailed information on the various benefits and services available.

Military and Family Support Centers may provide other services, such as counseling and family advocacy. Services vary by location.

Installation Specific Information

The US Army Garrison, Presidio of Monterey, Army Community Service (ACS) is located in the Stilwell Community Center, Bldg. 4260, Gigling Road on Ord Military Community. The telephone number is 831-242-7660 or DSN 312-768-7660. ACS offers the following programs in addition to those listed above:

Army Family Action Plan (AFAP) -- The AFAP program is a grassroots level process that identifies issues of concern affecting Service members and their families. Its mission is to provide Service members and families with a mechanism to influence quality of life changes by alerting military leadership to critical wellbeing concerns.

Army Family Team Building (AFTB)/Outreach Program -- AFTB is a progressive training program providing training and knowledge to spouses, Service members, civilians and family members to support the total military effort. It is AFTB’s mission to educate and train all of the military in knowledge, skills, and behaviors designed to prepare military families to move successfully into the future.

The purpose of the Outreach Program is to enhance readiness and retention by helping military families develop a strong sense of self-reliance and belong to the Presidio of Monterey community.

Army Emergency Relief (AER) Personal Financial Management -- AER provides emergency financial assistance to all branches of the Armed Forces (Active Duty and retired), and family members (to include widows and orphans of deceased Service members). Professional assistance is available to military families in the form of budget counseling and debt consolidation. Personal Financial Management is a program to assist in sustaining financial self-sufficiency through information on thrift savings plans, consumer and credit issues, and predatory lending.

Family Advocacy Program -- The Family Advocacy Program is dedicated to the prevention, education, prompt reporting, investigation, intervention and treatment of spouse and child abuse. Seminars and workshops are available to commanders, units or Family support groups. Referrals are made to agencies that can most appropriately assist in providing counseling, foster care, crisis intervention, emergency housing, and legal services.

Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) -- The Exceptional Family Member program is a mandatory enrollment program providing information and referral services for Service members and families who have special needs (medical, emotional, developmental and educational). An exceptional family member is defined as a child or adult family member with any physical, emotional, developmental, or intellectual disorder that requires long term special treatment, therapy, education, training, or counseling. Special needs range from learning disabilities such as dyslexia, to medical conditions such as epilepsy, Down syndrome, blindness or other severe physical limitations. The program works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive and coordinated community support, housing, educational, medical, and personal services to families with special needs. Services include information and current listings of agencies, services, support groups, in the area.

Sexual Assault Response Coordinator -- The Sexual Assault Response Coordinator coordinates sexual assault victim care, unit victim advocate training, and sexual assault and prevention training. The Sexual Assault Response Coordinator also serves as the point of contact for sexual assault reports, coordinates trainings, and serves as a victim advocate.

Information and Referral -- An integral function of ACS, information and referral services can assist you in locating needed services and programs available on your installation, through civilian agencies in the local community, and connect to national resources.

Employment Readiness -- The Employment Readiness Program provides employment assistance to assist family members in acquiring skills, networks, and resources that will allow them to participate in the workforce and develop a career/work plan. The training and information provided can assist you in identifying and reaching your employment and career development goals, manage the challenges associated with a mobile lifestyle and develop job search skills.

Army Volunteer Corps Program -- Volunteering provides the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the community, feel satisfaction, learn new skills, gain work experience, meet new friends, and have fun! Presidio of Monterey volunteer opportunities and information are available at ACS.

Relocation -- Relocation readiness provides information, referral, resources and tools to help you with permanent change of station (PCS) moves and post-move orientations.  The ACS Loan Closet, a lending service consisting of small household items (tableware, cooking utensils, irons, car seats) will help families set up housekeeping upon arriving or leaving the post, when their household goods are in transit.  Relocation also assists with in-transit emergencies by providing classes on move-related topics such as individual PCS planning. We serve as liaison to citizenship, immigration, and multicultural diversity information, and provide outreach to waiting families.

Newcomer Spouse Orientation -- Newcomer Spouse Orientations are offered on alternate months to assist new personnel and their Families with information provided by various agency subject matter experts on community resources available.


Employment - Overview

Economic Outlook

The Presidio of Monterey is located on the central coast of California in Monterey, approximately 120 miles south of San Francisco. Home of the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFIC) and the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), the Presidio of Monterey has historically been a key military outpost due to its strategic location, and continues to provide significant support to the county economy. The combined economic impact of spending by the DLIFLC and NPS amounts to $140.2 million channeled into the local economy, particularly through its educational institutions. The DLIFLC is regarded as one of the finest schools for foreign language instruction in the nation. The NPS, in addition to offering advanced classroom training for Naval officers, is home to the Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center, one of the world’s leading numerical meteorological weather prediction centers.

The Presidio is located in a high cost of living area, but most entry level positions, as well as retail and food and beverage jobs, usually pay minimum wage. The median household income ranges from $48,296 to $63,924. The current unemployment rate for Monterey County is 12.6 percent. The county has been adversely affected by budget pressures, and currently faces challenges from both local real estate and employment market deterioration. The local housing market is recovering somewhat but has been adversely affected by the subprime mortgage crisis, resulting in weaker property tax collections secondary to the county’s high foreclosure rates.

Employment Opportunities

The economic drivers for the Monterey County economy are hospitality and tourism, agriculture, education, construction, and healthcare. Two key industries are agriculture and tourism. Monterey County is home to the largest vegetable-producing region in the nation.  Tourism provides approximately $2 billion to the County’s economy, employing 36,000 employees. In addition to the area’s connections to the author John Steinbeck, the desirable climate, scenic environment and a variety of events and attractions such as the AT&T golf tournaments in Pebble Beach, the National Steinbeck Museum, the California Rodeo, the California International Air Show in Salinas, and the Monterey Jazz Festival draw worldwide visitors.

Specific high demand/high wage occupations are nursing and healthcare, construction, correctional officers, peace officers, and security guards. This presents a wide array of diverse occupations: professional and paraprofessional; managers and administrators; clerical and administrative support; and services and retail trade industry. The ten-year employment growth projection for 2002-2010 shows a 15% increase for protective service occupations; 14.7% for healthcare practitioners and technical occupations; and 14.9% for construction and extraction occupations. Wages for various occupations range from $8.65 to $9.30 for restaurant and food preparation workers; and $10.93 for retail salespersons. In terms of clerical occupations, the average hourly wage for receptionists and information clerks is $11.50; $14.99 for office automation clerks and typists; and $20.12 for information and record clerks. Paralegals and legal assistants make $21.67 an hour.  Hourly wages for people employed in healthcare occupations range from $15.84 for pharmacy aides, to $45.72 for physician assistants. The Monterey County Occupational Employment projections list the median hourly wages for protective service occupations as $20.86; healthcare practitioners, $30.01; healthcare support, $12.31; and technical occupations, specifically construction/extraction at $21.11.

The current employment market is competitive. Due to the mobile nature of the military lifestyle, individuals with education and/or experience in the health care and education fields often are more successful in finding employment upon relocation than are individuals in other career fields. Opportunities in the local healthcare industry are good. There are also job opportunities for military spouses in the national employment staffing corporations such as Manpower and Kelly Services.

The largest employers for Monterey County include the County of Monterey, which employs 18 percent of the county’s workforce; the Presidio of Monterey; and, in healthcare, Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare Systems and Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. Healthcare comprises 9.1 percent of the county workforce. Other significant sectors of the local economy include agriculture, comprising 12 percent of the economy, retail at 11.2 percent; and trade, transportation and utilities, which account for 16 percent of all employment in the county.  Workers in the leisure and hospitality sector, which includes arts, recreation, entertainment, accommodations and food service, comprise up to 12 percent of the county workforce. To learn more information on all official employment statistics and opportunities, go to the Department of Labor website.

Chamber of Commerce

The Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce is another good resource for employment opportunities. You may request a listing of businesses within the area to start your cold contacts and to understand the hiring process. Contact the office at 831-648-5360.

Unemployment Benefits

The payment of unemployment benefits depends upon what state you are transferring from, and the policy in that state. Unemployment benefits are paid by the jurisdiction where you worked, but you can apply for benefits in the jurisdiction where you live. If you are considering applying for unemployment benefits, contact your losing state’s unemployment benefits representative for the appropriate paperwork. When you resign your position, include a statement to the effect that you are resigning to accompany your military spouse on his/her Permanent Change of Station. Before you leave your current home/job, make sure you read the Employment Checklist below.

Employment Documentation

If employed, these items should be hand carried with you and updated each time you relocate:

  • All school transcripts.
  • Resumes and Resumix.
  • Professional certificates and licenses.
  • Recertification procedures required for all certificates and licenses.
  • Name, address, and phone numbers of three references who are not related to you and have never been your immediate supervisor.
  • A listing of special awards and honors, dates received, and accomplishments.
  • Letters of recommendation and/or appreciation from present employer.
  • Volunteer career portfolio.
  • Social Security Number verification.
  • Copies of orders and amendments for this move.
  • If a Federal employee, copies of your SF50 (GS) or DA Form 3434 (NAF). 

Employment Assistance

Employment Development Department

The State of California Employment Development Department (EDD) offers computerized job matching and placement, job search workshops, job listings, a Job Club, and job training programs. The California EDD website contains information on unemployment insurance, including an informational video on how to apply for unemployment. There is also information on jobs, training, and labor market information. The website also contains a link to the California State Personnel Board for listing current state jobs. For more information, consult the website. The EDD also operates three One-Stop Centers for employment assistance, in Salinas, Seaside and King City. The One Stop Career Center offers seminars on job search, resume writing assistance, career counseling, and information on employment, education, and training resources. CALJOBS is another program run by the EDD. CALJOBS provides an automated, user friendly system that can be used on personal computers, which assists employers, job seekers, and agencies in partnership with EDD. The CALJOBS site contains information on job fairs and events, employment and training, and job service locations by city.

Information on county job listings can be accessed through the County of Monterey website. The website contains current county job listings, and a link to the login screen to login to the Monterey County Employment Center Online Registration section in order to access the online application. A state-by-state unemployment compensation guide is available on the Military Spouse’s Career Network website through the Military HomeFront website.

Employment Opportunities on Base

Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) -- The Civilian Personnel Advisory Center Appropriated Funds (AF) and Non-Appropriated Funds (NAF) offices are located in the CPAC office, which is located in Bldg. 277. They provide job listing for both federal civilian and NAF positions for the Presidio of Monterey. Federal civilian vacancy positions are available online. NAF job opportunities may be found there also. The phone number for the AF office at CPAC is 831-242-5160. The phone number for the NAF office is 831-242-6115. The phone number for the Civilian Personnel Human Resources office at the Naval Postgraduate School is 831-656-2002.

Tuition Assistance


For information on MyCAA and Military Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, visit Military OneSource.

Transition Assistance

The Presidio of Monterey’s Army Career and Alumni Program (ACAP) functions under the auspices of the Army Transition Center, and provides transition assistance to military personnel exiting the service. The Army Transition Center holds a two-hour Pre-separation briefing twice a week. The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is the expanded voluntary portion of ACAP which provides a workshop, including resume writing, interviewing skills, salary negotiation and other job search skills and tools. The Army Transition Center coordinates with the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) to provide the quarterly TAP workshop. Information on location and dates for the NPS TAP workshop are provided during the Preseparation briefing. The first step is to contact your present family center to receive assistance with compiling your resume, completing employment applications and suggestions on interviewing. If you are a family member, contact the Army Community Service (ACS) for employment search assistance when you arrive at the Presidio of Monterey.

ACS Spouse Employment Readiness Program

Employment Readiness will provide job search training, but it’s not a job placement service. A professional Job Search Trainer will help you identify your skills and assist you every step of the way during your job search. The Employment Readiness Program is specifically designed to enhance career, educational, and volunteer opportunities for the military family as well as other eligible military ID cardholders.

Programs and Services:

  • Job Search Assistance: Improve your skill and explore different career options.
  • 3 computers available for resume writing, job search and self assessment tools.
  • A resource library is available to check out employment-related materials.
  • Job board and resource binders with current vacancies within the community.

Self Development Workshops: Writing a Winning Resume, Federal Resumix (Army, Air Force and Navy), Interviewing Techniques, Salary Negotiation, and Professional Development classes.

Centralized Job Bank

  • Federal Announcements
  • Local, state and contract Non Appropriated Funds (NAF)
  • Temp to permanent announcements
  • Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (MPUSD)

The Army Spouse Employment Partnership (ASEP) currently has 26 different Fortune 500 companies who assist military spouses to find employment. To find out more, click here and click on the Department of Labor America’s Job Bank link to help you locate alternative sites where you can search for government, state or local jobs.

Employment Relocation Checklist

Useful items to have on hand with searching for employment:

  • Updated resume, Resumix/AAFES/NAF Applications and/or your employment portfolio
  • Social Security Card and a form of identification (license/passport/military ID card)
  • School transcripts (high school, college or vocational)
  • Professional licenses and certifications
  • Special awards, honors or recognitions
  • Name, job title, address and telephone numbers of at least three employers along with character references
  • Letter of recommendation from past and/or present employers
  • Volunteer employment portfolio DD Form 214 and similar documents will be required to verify prior military service, disability or other preferences claimed.
  • Special awards, honors or recognition.

Federal Civilian Employment Offices

Presidio of Monterey
Civilian Personnel Office, Building 277
Presidio of Monterey, CA  93944

Presidio of Monterey
Non-Appropriated Fund Office, Building 277
Presidio of Monterey, CA  93944

Naval Postgraduate School
Civilian Personnel Office
ATTN:  Human Resource Office
Monterey, CA  93940


Relocation Assistance

Programs and Services

If a permanent change of station, or PCS, is in your future, you may have questions about moving. As part of the Military and Family Support Center, the Relocation Assistance Program provides services and resources to help make this transition as smooth as possible. Here’s what they offer:

  • Individual PCS planning — Most relocation programs offer one-on-one consultation. In particular, those making their first military move, those making their first overseas move or those with challenging or complex situations should contact the relocation assistance office.
  • MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and Plan My Move — For managing and planning your move, you may want to take advantage of these DoD-sponsored online relocation tools. You can estimate expenses, locate forms for housing and property shipments, and create a moving calendar.
  • Loan closet — Where available, loan closets offer basic household goods while your personal property is in transit. Typical items include pots and pans, dishes, silverware, irons, ironing boards and infant or toddler car seats. Generally, towels and bed linens are not available, so these should be packed in your express shipment.
  • Workshops and briefings — Workshops vary from installation to installation, but you may find classes on purchasing real estate and renting, budgeting and finance, moving with children or general moving preparation.
  • Pre-departure briefings — These briefings may be called Smooth Move or PCS Briefing, and they provide essential information to prevent you from making uninformed and costly decisions before your move.
  • Settling-in services — Welcome wagon services, local area tours (with child care sometimes provided), or basic household items to use until your goods arrive may be a part of your installation’s settling-in services. Overseas arrival services may include introductory language classes and cultural awareness training.
  • Foreign-born spouse support — Whether your question concerns immigration and naturalization, learning the English language or how to use local transportation, the relocation program provides assistance, classes and referrals.
  • Emergency assistance — From time to time, emergencies occur while moving. The Relocation Assistance Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.

Installation Specific Information

Army Community Service (ACS) is located on the Ord Military Community in the General Stilwell Community Center, Building 4260, on the corner of General Moore and Gigling Roads. All new families should in-process ACS as soon as they arrive. Available for all is a Welcome Packet which contains information about the installation and agencies/services, maps, and commonly used phone numbers. ACS also maintains a Loan Closet, which contains kitchen equipment and futons. However, there are no linens.
Soldiers who have just finished their Basic Combat Training, and who are reporting to the Defense Language Institute (DLI) as their first long-term duty assignment, need to be aware that they are still in the Initial Entry Training process. They will go into Phase IV of their Initial Entry Training here at the Presidio of Monterey. This means that, for their first four weeks here at the Presidio, they will be restricted to post, living in the barracks, and not allowed to wear civilian clothes or to operate a privately-owned vehicle, during that time. This can significantly complicate settling a family into government provided quarters. Married soldiers who are coming to the Presidio of Monterey directly from Basic Training are strongly encouraged to arrange for movement of their family members here to the Presidio after, rather than during or before, their first four weeks here at DLI.

Everyone coming to the Presidio with families should be aware that the wait for military family housing can be up to 90 days, and that civilian housing in the Monterey environs is expensive and scarce. The best decision is to postpone moving families to this area until housing for them has been secured.

For information about the Monterey Peninsula, contact the Monterey Chamber of Commerce, 380 Alvarado Street, 93940.


Loan Closet

Items Available

We have the following items in our Loan Closet: AERO beds, foam sleeping mats, dinner plates, drinking glasses (plastic and glass), bowls, salad plates, silverware, serving/cooking utensils, serving/mixing bowls, portable mixers, colanders, baking sheets, loaf pans, muffin pans, baking pans (9x13), dish/silverware drains, toasters, coffee pots, coffee mugs, irons and ironing boards, pots and pans, skillets, folding chairs and tables, high chairs, strollers, portable playpens, car seats, telephone books, and laundry baskets. We do not provide any linens or blankets.

How to Borrow

Loan Closet items may be borrowed for 30 days. All that is required is to come to ACS, fill out an ACS Loan Closet Form and select the items you need. Additional items may be added at any time. Extensions are allowed if delivery of your household goods is delayed and loan closet inventory can meet the current demand.


Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance

Army Community Service offers financial assistance through Army Emergency Relief. AER provides emergency financial assistance to active duty service members and their dependents; ARNG & USAR service members on active duty for more than 30 days and their dependents; retirees and dependents; and surviving spouses and orphans of service members who died while on active duty or after they retired. Assistance is provided in the form of interest-free loans, grants or a combination of both. AER can usually help with emergency needs for rent, utilities excluding phone and cable, food, emergency travel, emergency POV repair, funeral expenses of parent, spouse or child, and emergency medical or dental expenses.

Professional assistance is available to military families in the form of budget counseling and debt consolidation. Financial Management classes are available to service members and family members. The Army, Marines and Air Force schedule Personal Financial Management classes for IETs (Initial Entry Trainees) during the first weeks they are here. This is a mandatory class. Classes offered include Financial Management Readiness Training, Banking and Credit Union Services, Budget Development, Record Keeping, Debt Liquidation, Credit Usage and Credit Cards, Consumer Rights and Obligations, Insurance Basics, Smooth Financial Moves, and Credit Reports.

Cost of Living

The cost of living on the Monterey Peninsula is extremely high, and the costs for many goods and services are equally high. Service members stationed at the Presidio of Monterey do not receive COLA. Temporary Lodging Allowance is not applicable. The Monterey Peninsula is surrounded by some of the most expensive real estate in the nation: the average sales price is $572,000, and the median home price is $342,500. Rent for an unfurnished one-bedroom apartment in the Monterey Peninsula ranges from $1,000 to 1,500. The rental cost for a house ranges from $2,000 to 3,000. The average cost for a mobile home is $90,000. Temporary lodging at the Army Lodge on the Presidio of Monterey is from $120-160 per night, with an additional $5 per night for additional occupants. Monthly utility payments average from $100-150 per month.

Advance Basic Pay

Advance Basic Pay is an interest-free loan for PCS moves. The military savings is used as collateral. The service member may draw up to 3 months’ basic pay advance, which is repaid by pay deductions. The advance must be paid back within 12 months, beginning the first month after the allowance is drawn. Repayment can create an additional financial burden just after the PCS move, at a time when finances are already stressed.  Therefore, the use of advance pay is discouraged unless circumstances require it.

Required Car Insurance Coverage

In California, there is a compulsory financial responsibility law on record that requires drivers to carry the proper amount of auto insurance. In addition to collision or comprehensive insurance to cover damage to your vehicle, you must also hold liability insurance to cover damage to others’ property or person. The minimum liability insurance coverage required for private passenger vehicles is $35,000, and is defined by the following levels of coverage: $15,000 for injury or death to one person; $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person; and $5,000 for property damage. You must keep proof of financial responsibility (insurance coverage) if you plan to own or drive a vehicle.  Some vehicle that do not require proof of financial responsibility are government vehicles, trailers, and off-highway vehicles.


Emergency Assistance

Planning for Emergencies

The threat of an emergency always exists. Before traveling make sure you have all your important documents with you. Do not ship these with your household goods. Make sure you have important phone numbers with you, such as an information number for your new duty station and your sponsor’s phone number. Hand carry the following items: ID cards and birth certificates for yourself and family members; orders; emergency phone numbers; medical records, school records; vehicle registration; proof of insurance; and pet health certificates. If you arrive after hours contact the NCO Staff Duty Officer at 831-242-5119.

Army Emergency Relief

Army Emergency Relief (AER) provides emergency financial assistance to all branches of the Armed Forces: single and married active duty and retired service members and their dependents; ARNG and USAR service members and their dependents; and surviving spouses or orphans of deceased active duty or retired service members.  AER assists in categories of food, rent, emergency travel, utilities, essential car repair, emergency medical and dental expenses, and funeral expenses.  Emergency assistance through AER can be obtained at Army Community Service, Bldg. 4260 Gigling Road, Ord Military Community. AER is open during duty hours, Monday through Friday, 7:45am to 4:45 pm. The phone number is 831-242-5501.

American Red Cross

The American Red Cross (ARC) works in conjunction with AER to provide emergency services to the military. The ARC is always available to assist in emergency situations. Call toll free American-REDCROSS 1-877-272-7337 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The number for the Monterey County chapter is 831-624-6921. One of the fundamental missions of the ARC is to keep family members in touch with their loved ones in the Armed Forces during times of family crisis. They assist military families with notification of a service member or family member in case of a death or medical emergency of a family member, or the birth of a child. It is important that family members have the following information regarding the service member when initiating a message: Full Name, Rank, Social Security Number, Unit, Complete Mailing Address, and Rear Detachment phone (if available). If you encounter an emergency while in transit, contact the American Red Cross. For more information go to their website.

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army provides support, training and resources to respond to the needs of those affected by emergencies without discrimination. In addition, the Salvation Army offers emergency shelter, a public meal program and a food pantry, housing, utility, medical, food and other types of emergency assistance.  Special holiday programs include gifts for children, clothing and food assistance to families in need, and visits and gifts for senior citizens.

The Good Samaritan Center is a day use only center providing essential services to homeless and low-income clients on the Monterey Peninsula. It offers supportive services ranging from basic daily needs to long-term case management. For more information about the Good Samaritan Center, please contact the center directly by telephone at 831-899-4988.

Army Community Service Information and Referral

The toll free number for the Army Community Service Information and Referral is 1-888-607-0001, operating hours are Mon - Fri, 7:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.


Legal Assistance

Legal Services

Lawyers and staff are available to provide advice and assistance to military personnel, retirees and family members of both. The assistance offered includes advice on; domestic relations, adoption, leases, taxation, creditor's rights, wills, estates, powers of attorney, the Soldier's and Sailor's Civil Relief Act, bills of sale, documents notarized and numerous other matters of a personal civil legal nature.


Deployment Support

Family Deployment Support

The Presidio of Monterey only sends individuals on deployments. No Unit deployments occur here.

The Mobilization/Deployment Coordinator at Army Community Service provides pre-mobilization briefings to Reserves and Guard Units in the area upon request. The coordinator also provides Family Readiness Group Leader Training for the non-deploying Units at the Presidio.


Contact Information

DSN Dialing Instructions: When dialing a DSN number from U.S. installation to U.S. installation, it is unnecessary to dial the 312 area code. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included.

1759 Lewis Road
Suite 210
Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-6601
Phone (DSN) 312-768-6601
Fax 831-242-6608
Fax (DSN) 312-768-6608
Website | Map
Adult Education Centers
Army Continuing Education Services
586 Rifle Range Road
Building 636-B
Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5325
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5325
Fax 831-242-6817
Fax (DSN) 312-768-5325
Mon - Thu 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Fri 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Email | Map
Automotive Services
Car Care Center
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-394-1444
Beauty/Barber Shops
Post Exchange (AAFES)
Presidio of Monterey
POM, CA 93933
Phone 831-647-9602
Website | Map
Beneficiary Counseling Assistance Coordinators
Presidio of Monterey Army Health Clinic
Building 422
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5741/5663
Fax 831-242-6831
Beneficiary Counseling Assistance Coordinators
Presidio of Monterey US Army Health Clinic
473 Cabrillo Street BLDG 422
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-4458 / 831-242-4426 Advisors / 831-242-4374 Patient Representative
Phone (DSN) 312-768-4458
Fax 831-242-6831
Email | Website | Map
Post Chapel Center
General Moore Blvd.
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7620
Fax 831-242-7619
Child Development Centers
Child & Youth Services - Central Registration / Child Development Center
Stilwell Community Center/Ord Military Community
Building 4260
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7765
Phone (DSN) 321-768-7765
Fax 831-242-5630
Fax (DSN) 321-242-5630
Email | Website | Map
Child and Youth Registration and Referral
Child & Youth Services - Central Registration / Child Development Center
Stilwell Community Center/Ord Military Community
Building 4260
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7765
Phone (DSN) 321-768-7765
Fax 831-242-5630
Fax (DSN) 321-242-5630
Email | Website | Map
Civilian Personnel Office
Civilian Personnel Advisory Center
Building 277
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5160
Website | Map
Presidio of Monterey Commissary
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7668
Website | Map
Dental Clinics
Presidio of Monterey Dental Clinic
Buidling 442
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone Emergency: 242-5613
EFMP - Enrollment
Presidio of Monterey Army Health Clinic - EFMP Enrollment

Building 422
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5741/5663
Fax 831-242-6831
EFMP - Family Support
EFMP Family Support
Army Community Service
Bldg 4260
Stilwell Community Center
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7960
Phone (DSN) 321-768-7960
Fax 831-242-7662
Email | Map
Emergency Relief Services
Army Emergency Relief/Financial Management
Gigling Road
Army Community Service
Stilwell Community Center/Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-5501
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5501
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sat, Sun and Holidays - closed
Email | Website | Map
Post Exchange (AAFES)
Presidio of Monterey
POM, CA 93933
Phone 831-647-9602
Website | Map
Post Exchange (AAFES)
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-899-2336
Website | Map
Family Advocacy Program
Family Advocacy Program Manager
Bldg 4260
Army Community Service
Stilwell Community Center/Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7653
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7653
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Email | Website | Map
Family Center
Army Community Service
Bldg. 4260
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7659 / 800 Number: 1-844-469-5916
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7660
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Email | Website | Map
Family Child Care/Child Development Homes
Family Child Care
Individual On Post Residences
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-5032
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5031
Fax 831-242-7825
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7825
Email | Website | Map
Finance Office
Finance Office - DFAS
Building 616
Taylor Hall
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-4782
Phone (DSN) 312-768-4782
Fax 831-242-6376
Gymnasiums/Fitness Centers
Price Fitness Center
Bldg. 842
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5641
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5641
Fax 831-242-5122
Fax (DSN) 312-768-5122
Hospitals/Medical Treatment Facility(s)
Presidio of Monterey Army Health Clinic
Building 422
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5741/5663
Fax 831-242-6831
Household Goods/Transportation Office (inbound)
Transportation Office - Inbound Household Goods
Building 517
Presidio Of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5096
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5096
Fax 831-242-6646
Fax (DSN) 312-786-6646
Household Goods/Transportation Office (outbound)
Transportation Management - Inbound/Outbound Household Goods
Building 517 Private Bolio Road
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944-5006
Phone 831-242-5330/5203 / 831-242-5096
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5330
Housing Referral Office/Housing Privatization
Monterey Bay Housing Services Office BLDG 4250- Ord Military Community (OMC) Seaside, CA
DPW-Housing Div
Building 4250
General Jim Moore Blvd
c/o 393 Patton Ave
Monterey, CA 93940
Phone 831-644-242-7979 / 831 242-7984
Fax 831-242-7793
Mon-Fri 7:45 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Email | Website | Map
ID/CAC Card Processing
Personnel Support Office and ID Card Section
Taylor Hall
Building 616
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5209/5949
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5209
Information and Referral Services
Presidio of Monterey - Army Community Service
Stilwell Community Center/Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7659 / 831-242-7660
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7660
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Website | Map
Legal Services/JAG
Staff Judge Advocate
Building 275
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5084
Phone (DSN) 312-768-6396/6386
Fax 831-242-5085
Fax (DSN) 312-768-5085
Website | Map
MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation)
MWR Office
Building 228
Lewis Hall
Presidio Of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-6995
Phone (DSN) 312-768-6995
Fax 831-242-6991
Fax (DSN) 312-768-6991
Military Clothing Sales
Post Exchange (AAFES)
Presidio of Monterey
POM, CA 93933
Phone 831-647-9602
Website | Map
New Parent Support Program
Army Community Service
Building 4260, Gigling Road
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7196/7660
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7196/7660
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Email | Website | Map
Non-appropriated Funds (NAF) Human Resources
Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) Human Resources Office

Building 277
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-6119
Phone (DSN) 312-768-6119
Fax 831-242-5199
Email | Map
Personal Financial Management Services
Financial Programs
Army Community Service, Stilwell Community Center
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 821-242-5501
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5501
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Email | Website | Map
Personnel Support Office
Personnel Support Office and ID Card Section
Taylor Hall
Building 616
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-5209/5949
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5209
Relocation Assistance Program
Army Community Service - Relocation Manager
Building 4260
General Stilwell Community Center, OMC
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7661
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7661
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Email | Website | Map
School Age Care
School Age Services
Porter Youth Center
Ord Military Community, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-7822
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7822
Fax 831-242-7825
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7825
Website | Map
School Liaison Office/Community Schools
Army School Liaison Officer
Building 4260, Gigling Road
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831.242.6904 / Cell: (831) 915-0542
Phone (DSN) 768.6904
Email | Website | Map
Spouse Education, Training and Careers
Employment Readiness Program
Army Community Service
Stilwell Community Center/Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7510
Phone (DSN) 768-7510
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 768-7662
Email | Website | Map
Temporary Lodging/Billeting
Navy Lodge Monterey
1100 Farragut Road
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, CA 93940
Phone 831-372-6133
Fax 831-372-6307
Website | Map
Temporary Lodging/Billeting
Presidio of Monterey Lodging Reservation Office
Building 366
Presidio Of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-645-1199
Phone (DSN) 312-768-5091
Fax 831-242-5298
Fax (DSN) 312-768-5298
Website | Map
VA Facilities
Veterans Administration Clinic
3401 Engineer Lane
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-883-3800
Veterinary Services
U. S. Army Veterinary Treatment Facility - Small Animal Clinic
Building 4380 Parker Flats Road
Ord Military Community, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7718/7721
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7718
Fax 831-242-7722
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7722
Victim Advocate Services
Family Advocacy Program Manager
Bldg 4260
Army Community Service
Stilwell Community Center/Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7653
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7653
Fax 831-242-7662
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7662
Email | Website | Map
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC & WIC-O)
1942 Fremont Blvd.
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-393-3251
Youth Programs/Centers
Teen Sponsorship Program
ATZP-DCA-YS (Sponsor Program)
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Phone 831-242-7823
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7823
Fax 831-242-7825
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7825
Youth Programs/Centers
Porter Youth Center
Bldg. 4283
Ord Military Community
Seaside, CA 93955
Phone 831-242-7821
Phone (DSN) 312-768-7821
Fax 831-242-7825
Fax (DSN) 312-768-7825


Major Units

Center for Intelligence Dominance Detachment - Navy
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-6836/5142/5322
DSN: 312-768- 6836/5142/5322
COM FAX: 831-242-7139/7090
DSN FAX: 312-768-7139/7090

DLIFLC/POM Staff Duty Office
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5119
DSN: 312-768-5119
COM FAX: 831-242-6040
DSN FAX: 312-768-6040
U. S. Army Garrison, Presidio of Monterey
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-6601/6518/6604
DSN: 312-768-6601/6518/6604
COM FAX: 831-242-6608
DSN FAX: 312-768-6608
Defense Language Institute/Foreign Language Center
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5200/5312
DSN: 312-768-5200/5312
COM FAX: 831-242-6519
DSN FAX: 312-768-6519

Marine Corps Detachment - MCD
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5133/5698/5873
DSN: 312-768-5133/5698/5873
COM FAX: 831-242-6143
DSN FAX: 312-768-6143
Defense Military Pay Office
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-4781/4782/4783
DSN: 312-768- 4781/4782/4783
COM FAX: 831-242-6376
229th Military Intelligence Battalion - Command Group
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5861/5668
DSN: 313-768-5668
COM FAX: 831-242-6521
DSN FAX: 313-768-6521
HQ 14th Brigade Western Region ROTC
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-7692/7818
DSN: 312-768-7692/7818
COM FAX: 831-242-7696
DSN FAX: 312-768-7696

Foreign Area Officer Program
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-6467/6470
DSN: 312-768-6467/6470
COM FAX: 831-242-5414
DSN FAX: 312-768-5414

California Medical Detachment
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5608/7550/5608
DSN: 312-768-5608/7550/5608
COM FAX: 831-242-7558
DSN FAX: 312-768-7558
Headquarters and Headquarters Command USA Element
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-6259/6964/7440
DSN: 312-768-6259/6964/7440
COM FAX: 831-242-6078
DSN FAX: 312-768-6078
229th Military Intelligence Battalion - F Company
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5708/5645
DSN: 312-768-5708/5645
COM FAX: 831-242-6662
DSN FAX: 312-768-6662
229th Military Intelligence Battalion - E Company
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5164/6624
DSN: 312-768-5164/6624
COM FAX: 831-242-6883
DSN FAX: 312-768-6883

229th Military Intelligence Battalion - D Company
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-6654/7725/5310/5645
DSN: 312-768-6654/7725/5310/5645
COM FAX: 831-242-7232
DSN FAX: 312-768-7232

229th Military Intelligence Battalion - C Company
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-6656/6657/4894/5456
DSN: 312-768-6656/6657/4894/5456
COM FAX: 831-242-5538
DSN FAX: 312-768-5538

229th Military Intelligence Battalion - B Company
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-6650/7941/5224
DSN: 312-768-6650/7941/5224
COM FAX: 831-242-5768
DSN FAX: 312-768-5768

311th Training Squadron - Air Force
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5115/7169
DSN: 312-768-5115/7169
COM FAX: 831-242-5029
DSN FAX: 312-768-5029
229th Military Intelligence Battalion - A Company
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5651/5587/5514
DSN: 312-768-5651/5587/5514
COM FAX: 831-242-5921
DSN FAX: 312-768-5291
314th Training Squadron - Air Force
Contact Information:
COM: 831-242-5115/7169
DSN: 312-768-5115/7169