MilitaryInstallations Booklet for Fort Belvoir


Fast Facts

Location: Located south of Alexandria, VA in Fairfax County, Fort Belvoir serves as the headquarters for the Defense Logistics Agency, the Defense Contract Audit Agency, the Defense Technical Information Center, and the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, agencies of the United States Department of Defense.

Fort Belvoir is home to the United States INSCOM and ARCYBER and elements of ten other Army major commands; nineteen different agencies and direct reporting units of the Department of Army; eight elements of the U.S. Army Reserve and the Army National Guard; and twenty-six Department of Defense agencies. Also located here are the 249th Engineer Battalion (Prime Power), the U.S. Army Prime Power School, a Marine Corps detachment, a U.S. Air Force activity, U.S. Army Audit Agency, and an agency from the Department of the Treasury. Fort Belvoir homepage.

Cost of Living: Higher than the average for all major U.S. cities, 37.79%.

BRAC Status: Fort Belvoir will be well equipped to absorb the approximately 19,000 civilian and military personnel expected to be transferred, over the next 3 years. The proposed action would relocate approximately 6,409 personnel of BRAC 133 from various leased offices throughout Northern Virginia to a single location.

Base Operator: 703-545-6700 or DSN 312-227-0101


  • 2,529 active duty
  • 76 reservists
  • 6,732 civilians 

Area Population:  Alexandria: 143,885

Child Care:  Fort Belvoir has two child development centers (CDC) and School Ages Services Center on post. They offer full day care, part day preschool, hourly care and kindergarten for children 6 weeks to 5 years of age. Approved Family Child Care homes available. 703-805-9116 / 703-805-9114.

  • North Post Child Development Center offers full day care.
  • South Post Child Development Center offers hourly-care and full day care.
  • Markham School Age Service offers part-day preschool, before and after school care and full day care during breaks and summer.

Schools:  Children residing on Fort Belvoir will attend either Fort Belvoir Elementary School or Woodlawn Elementary (located just outside the installation) which are run by Fairfax County Schools. Walt Whitman Middle School or Mount Vernon High School, are also Fairfax County schools.

Youth Services:  The Youth Center on Fort Belvoir offers a middle school as well as a teen program for youth grades 6-12. Phone: 703-805-4515.

Army Community Service:  This is Fort Belvoir’s one stop shop for information about the installation: Employment, Welcome Packets, Volunteering, Maps of the Area, and more. ACS 703-805-4590

Housing:  Two, three, four and five bedroom homes are available in fifteen village communities. Available to military members of all ranks from all service branches assigned to Fort Belvoir and the National Capital Region. Call 703-454-9700 or visit the Housing Office website.

Employment:  The job market in the National Capital Region is very competitive. Income and education levels are high. With its wide range of businesses, the area offers a multitude of employment possibilities to new residents. Unemployment Rate 5.1%. Median household income: $65,772.

Post Services:     

  • MWR Facilities: Recreation at Fort Belvoir, VA includes arts and crafts, bowling, library, auto hobby, recreation center, golf, gym, tennis, swimming, outdoor activities, camping, and fishing. 
  • Commissaries: 1 large commissary on post, 703-781-0536
  • Exchange System has 1 large exchange, a mall, and two shoppettes, 703-806-5801.
  • Banking: Sun Trust Bank on post.

Medical Services:  Dewitt Army Community Hospital, 46 bed hospital serves approximately 90,000 eligible military beneficiaries in Northern Virginia. Clinics 703-805-0510; Information Desk 703-805-0510.

Special Installation Messages:

Defense Service Network (DSN) Dialing Instructions

The DSN is the provider of long-distance communications service for the Department of Defense (DoD). Every installation has a special DSN number and the numbers vary by world-wide location. In order to place a call using DSN, the caller must be using a military phone on an installation. Cell phones cannot dial DSN numbers. When dialing a DSN number from a United States installation to another United States installation, it is unnecessary to dial the DSN 312 area code. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included. The operator can be reached at commercial (719) 567-1110. Please note that long distance charges may be incurred.




Fort Belvoir is located in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia approximately 20 miles South of Washington, D.C. The base operator's phone number is 703-545-6700.


Fort Belvoir's history is interwoven with the birth of our nation, as well as the founding of Fairfax County, Virginia.  Like most land in colonial America, the 8,656-acre tract along the Potomac River that is now Fort Belvoir was part of a grant from a 17th-century English king. The land was handed down through the Culpepper family to Thomas, the sixth Lord Fairfax, who in 1734, persuaded his cousin, Col. William Fairfax, to come to Virginia and oversee the family's holdings. Col. Fairfax built his home on 2,000 acres of what is now much of South Post and named the estate Belvoir, which means "beautiful to see."

In 1912, the land was transferred to the War Department. In 1915, engineer troops from Washington Barracks, now Fort McNair, established Camp Belvoir as a rifle range and training camp. The name was changed to Camp A.A. Humphreys in 1917, when a major camp was constructed during an unusually bitter winter to train engineer replacements for World War I. The post was renamed Fort Humphreys in 1922, to indicate its permanent status, and became Fort Belvoir in 1935. For more information, visit the Fort Belvoir Homepage.


Fort Belvoir is unlike any other Army installation in the world. It has a diverse, modern-day mission of being a strategic sustaining base for America's Armed Forces. A list of organizations at Fort Belvoir reads like a "Who's Who" in the department of Defense. No other Army installation in the world can compare with our diverse, modern-day mission of providing logistical and administrative support to over 120 diverse tenant satellite organizations.

Fort Belvoir is home to several Army command headquarters, units and agencies of nine different Army major commands, 16 different agencies of the Department of the Army, eight elements of the U. S. Army Reserve and Army National Guard and nine DOD agencies. All these agencies play important roles in Fort Belvoir's global mission to provide worldwide logistical and administrative support to all the armed services.

Population Served

In addition to U.S. Army forces, the U. S. Navy construction battalion, a Marine Corps detachment, one U. S. Air Force unit, and an agency of the Department of Treasury are also located at Fort Belvoir.

Fort Belvoir also houses the headquarters for Army Material Command, Defense Logistics Agency, Defense Technical Information Service, Defense Contract Audit Agency, Defense National Stockpile Center, and the Defense Fuel Supply Center.

Base Transportation

Currently there is no bus access from the King Street, Eisenhower Avenue and Huntington Metrorail stations to Fort Belvoir.


Military personnel in-processing to units other than the Garrison Headquarters Battalion should contact their units directly prior to arrival on post to request a sponsor. Soldiers assigned to the U.S. Army Garrison Headquarters Battalion can request a sponsor by calling 703-806-5659 or DSN 656-5659. Individuals who are not sure of the correct contact information may contact the Garrison Military Personnel Division for assistance at 703-805-5583, or DSN 312-655-5583.

Personnel wanting to rent a Post Office Box to forward their mail while en route should contact their local post office (not Fort Belvoir) to complete a Post Office Box Application or apply online. The application and a check for $36.00 (good for 6 months) will then be mailed to: Post Master Fort Belvoir, VA 22060.

To have mail forwarded to a general mailing address, personnel can complete an Application for General Delivery and have their mail sent in their name to General Delivery Fort Belvoir, VA 22060. This option is good for 30 days. For more information, call the Fort Belvoir post office at 703-781-7735.

Temporary Quarters

Reservations for temporary lodging are accepted up to 60 days in advance of arrival. Reservations can be made for up to 14 days of stay. If space permits, reservations can be extended up to 30 days. To make a reservation, contact Fort Belvoir Lodging at 1-800-295-9750 or 703-704-8600, personnel are available 24 hours a day. Please note that DoD civilians only when in TDY status are authorized to use the facility.

Relocation Assistance

Contact the Relocation Readiness Program as soon as you receive your PCS orders so you can obtain information about your new post, such as housing, medical services, community, installation, schools, jobs and more. The Army Community Services (ACS) Lending Closet has household items available for temporary use on a first come first serve basis. A Newcomer's Orientation is held the first Monday of every month at the Barden Education Center, Building 1017, from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. If the first Monday is a holiday, the briefing will be held the following Monday. All newly arriving personnel (both military and civilian) and their families are strongly encouraged to attend. Once a month, ACS offers a Spouse Orientation in the Housing Community Centers. For more information about either orientation or the relocation program call 703-805-3436/5058.

Critical Installation Information

The area code for Fort Belvoir is 703. The installation's Hotline number is 703-805-3030 and the Information Line is 703-545-6700. DSN prefixes are: 655 for commercial numbers beginning with 805; 656 for commercial numbers beginning with 806; 654 for numbers beginning with 704; and 427 for numbers beginning with 767. The area code for Washington D.C. is 202 and for Maryland (closest to Fort Belvoir) it is 301.



Settling into your new location and your new unit takes time. Military OneSource is designed to assist you with information about your new location. Additionally each of the military Services has a Sponsorship Program which is very helpful in providing new unit information. If you want to learn how to be a sponsor, you can take a short training module found on Military OneSource, or if you are a Sponsor, you can use the eSponsorship Application & Training a secure website designed to train you on your sponsorship duties and provide sample materials for your use when communicating with your newcomer.

The purpose of the Sponsorship program is to:

  • Provide a sense of belonging
  • Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
  • Increase productivity
  • Reduce culture shock
  • Help newcomers make informed decisions
  • Cultivate new friendships
  • Improve morale

A sponsor is someone from your new unit who is assigned to assist you in settling into your new location. You must request a sponsor through your unit. You can learn more about the sponsorship program and how to apply through your Relocation Assistance Program or the Army Community Service at your new installation.

Your gaining unit will appoint your sponsor in writing. He/she will be the same or close to your rank and the same marital status, if at all possible. This person will be knowledgeable about the local community and the installation; available to assist you and your family for at least two weeks post arrival, and be someone who is positive and outgoing.

A sponsor's duties include:

  • Contacting you and your family by letter of introduction or e-mail upon learning of your assignment to the installation.
  • Following up with a personal phone call after contact has been made.
  • Sending information about the installation/area which you may require, or putting you in touch with the resources on the web and at the installation that provide current, complete and up-to-date information such as those provided by the Relocation Program.
  • Answering any questions which you or your family may have, or, again, providing the proper resources to answer those questions.
  • Confirm transportation and lodging arrangements.
  • Assisting with obtaining a Post Office Box for your mail.
  • Meeting you and your family upon arrival.
  • Accompanying you to your check in point for the unit.
  • Introducing you to the Family Center and loan closet
  • Providing essential service locations such as commissary, exchange, gas station, and bank.
  • Being available when you arrive at your installation to meet you, show you around, and help you through in-processing.

If you have not been assigned a sponsor, or have not been contacted as of yet, request one by contacting your gaining command or unit. If after contacting your new command you find difficulties in obtaining a sponsor, contact your Relocation Assistance Personnel for additional help with your move.

Service specific processes for requesting a Sponsor include:

  • Army and Defense Logistics Agency: AR 600-8-8 outlines procedures for DA Form 5434, Sponsorship Program Counseling and Information Sheet. Sponsorship is mandatory for first term Soldiers. All Soldiers, private through colonel (excluding those completing Advanced Individual Training (AIT) and those PCSing to long term schools) and civilian employees through grade 15 may participate in the advance arrival sponsorship program. Reactionary Sponsorship is available for individuals arriving at an installation without a sponsor. Contact the gaining unit to request a sponsor.
  • Air Force: Gaining Unit Commander Support Staff/Military Personnel Section will assign a sponsor upon receipt of assignment notice. Assigned sponsor will then make contact with the inbound member.
  • Navy: OPNAV INSTRUCTION 1740.3C prescribes procedures regarding Command Sponsor and Indoctrination Programs. This Program is designed to facilitate the adaptation of Sailors and their families into new working and living environments, to minimize the anxiety associated with a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move, and afford Sailors and their families the greatest opportunity for a successful and productive tour of duty.
  • Command sponsor and indoctrination responsibilities begin upon receipt of PCS orders and continue until the Sailor has become an integral part of the new command and is fully cognizant of all policies, programs, services, and responsibilities available through the command. Commanding Officers shall establish a Command Indoctrination Program to include the delivery of the Navy Pride and Professionalism training per this instruction. COs should ensure all incoming personnel receive command indoctrination training within 30 days of arrival or within 3 drill weekends
  • Enclosures (1) and (2) of OPNAVINST 1740.3C outline responsibilities and provide guidance for these programs. Assistance to local commands regarding the Command Sponsor Program is through the Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) Relocation Assistance Program staff.
  • Marine Corps: Gaining Unit Commander will assign a sponsor on request. Overseas commands should assign a sponsor automatically, however if one is not assigned, send a request to the gaining command using the Sample Sponsorship Request form.

Sponsors' responsibilities and abilities to be available will vary from installation to installation, depending upon the priority which the installation and unit commanders give to the program; however, the Services are making the Sponsorship program a priority as research has shown the many benefits of good sponsorship to service, family members and youth.

Youth Sponsorship

The Youth Sponsorship Program depends on the availability of youth who volunteer to become sponsors. The Youth Services topic should explain the Youth Sponsorship program at your new installation, but if it does not answer all of your questions, contact your Relocation Manager to inquire about the program and acquiring a youth sponsor.


Directions to Installation


If you are traveling by airplane, Reagan National Airport is located 12 miles from Fort Belvoir. One of the busiest airports in the country, Reagan National Airport has daily flights throughout the continental United States as well as overseas. Dulles International Airport is approximately 35 miles from Fort Belvoir.

An Amtrak station is located just six miles from Fort Belvoir's main gate.

Driving Directions

If you are driving to Fort Belvoir from the North (Washington D.C.), take Interstate 95 South. Exit the Fairfax County Parkway/Backlick Road (7100) exit 166A. Take the Fairfax County Parkway to its end at Richmond Highway (U.S. Route 1). Turn left onto Route 1. At the first light, on the right, is the entrance for Tulley Gate on Fort Belvoir. This is the main entrance to the installation and is open 24/7 everyday including weekends and holidays.

If you are traveling from the South (Richmond), take I-95 North to U.S. Route 1/Richmond Highway, Exit 161 B which will be Fairfax County Parkway. Continue on the Parkway until it ends at Route 1. Turn left at the traffic light onto Route 1. At the next light, Tulley Gate entrance will be on your right. (For weekends, holidays, and after-hours see the information above.)

All military personnel should report to the unit to which they are assigned upon arriving at Fort Belvoir. Once they report, they will be given two check-lists. The first is an in-processing checklist for their unit and the second is for the installation. These lists cover all of the facilities that the service member needs to visit.


Check-in Procedures

Check-in Procedures

Welcome to Fort Belvoir, Virginia, home of numerous organizations.  All in-processing Soldiers must sign in at their unit of assignment prior to in-processing at the Welcome Center. Soldiers must have a copy of DA Form 31 (Leave), assignment orders, and/or amendments. Information pertaining to DD Form 93 and SGLI will be updated at this time. Soldiers must be in Duty uniform.

The Fort Belvoir Welcome Center is located at 5981, 13th Street, Building 1155
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060.  Operating hours are 0730 to 1630 Monday through Friday, closed holidays and weekends.  Services offered at the Welcome Center include In/Out Processing, Passports, Retirement Services, Mobilization/Demobilization, Finance,
and household goods.

If your arrival is at the Dulles or Ronald Reagan Airports, it is your responsibility to coordinate and complete your travel to Fort Belvoir. Ensure that you save all your receipts so that you can make an appropriate travel claim when you in-process the installation.

Your tour of duty here will be filled with adventure and challenges.  Our staff will ensure that you in-processing is as expeditious as possible.  If we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at (703) 806-4084/4392/0795

Inprocessing Procedures

All soldiers arriving to Fort Belvoir will report to their assigned units before inprocessing. The Fort Belvoir Human Resource Directorate (HRD), located in Building 213, provides both in and out processing. A check list must be obtained in order to begin either process.

Prior to inprocessing with HRD, Soldiers must stop at the Tricare Support Service Center in DeWitt Army Community Hospital. Soldiers must enroll themselves and their family members (if applicable) into Tricare/Health Net Federal Services before going to HRD.

For newly arrived personnel, a Newcomers' Briefing is held on the first Monday of each month at Sosa Community Center, Bldg 200, at 9:00 a.m. If the first Monday is a holiday, the briefing will be held on the following Monday. All military personnel, civilians, and their family members are encouraged to attend.

Finance Inprocessing

Finance inprocessing is done through coordination with the Soldier's unit PAC. It is important to note that the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at the local rate will not start until the Soldier signs into their gaining unit.

Married Servicemembers

If a Soldier gets married prior to PCSING, he/she must notify their commander prior to traveling to ensure proper documentation is made and procedures are followed.


Motor Vehicles

Use of DOD decals/vehicle registration was discontinued on Fort Belvoir and the Military District of Washington, effective 5 November 2011. Holders of DoD-issued ID cards will be able to enter post at ANY gate.

If you are an active duty member of the military stationed in Virginia, you, your spouse and dependent children may drive with a valid driver's license issued by your home state or country. You are not required to obtain a Virginia driver's license.

While stationed in Virginia, if you purchase a vehicle, you may title and register that vehicle in your home state, or you may title and register the vehicle in Virginia. Vehicles titled and registered in your name may be driven with valid out-of-state license plates if you are the sole owner. If the vehicle is co-owned and out-of-state plates are used, all co-owners must be active duty members of the Armed Forces. If all the co-owners are not active duty members, the vehicle will need to be registered in Virginia.

When titling your vehicle in Virginia, you are required to pay a title fee and four percent motor vehicle sales and use tax that is based on the vehicle's sale price. There is a $75 minimum tax. If you hold a valid, assignable title or registration issued in your name by another state or branch of the military, you will not have to pay the motor vehicle sales and use tax. However, if you purchased the vehicle within the preceding 12 months, to be exempt in Virginia you must provide proof that the sale and use tax was paid elsewhere.

To operate your vehicle in Virginia it must be covered by the minimum insurance requirements or pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee. Virginia requires the following minimum coverage:

  • Bodily injury/death of one person $25,000
  • Bodily injury/death of two or more persons $50,000
  • Property damage $20,000

For further information please visit the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicle website.  


Education - General Overview



All schools are accredited by the Virginia Board of Education. All high schools are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. For continued accreditation, the Southern Association and the Virginia Board require periodic reevaluation by committees of outside educators as well as continuous school improvement based on prescribed accreditation models.

Number of Schools

Fairfax County has 141 elementary schools, 26 middle schools, and 26 high schools. Prince William County has 56 elementary schools, 15 middle schools, 11 high schools, and 5 specialty schools. For more information about these schools districts, you may visit their websites.

Children residing on Fort Belvoir will attend the Fort Belvoir Elementary School-located on post, Walt Whitman Middle School or Mount Vernon High School. Children who reside in Woodlawn Village Community will attend Woodlawn Elementary School.

Most children living off post will attend schools in either Fairfax County or Prince William County.

Bus Service

Fairfax County School Transportation Office can be reached at 703-446-2000, after business hours 703-764-2400. Prince William County School Transportation Central Office telephone is 703-791-0255, East Operations, 703-455-1240, West Operations 703-753-6398, Special Needs Operations 703-368-0176.


For information on the Fairfax County or Prince William County School Meal Programs, visit their websites.

Before and After School Programs

To be eligible for student activities within Fairfax County Schools, a student must be in good standing, have passed five subjects for credit the preceding semester, taken no fewer than five classes for credit, have a Virginia High School League physical, be an amateur and have passed the Virginia Literacy Passport Test. Activities vary by school, contact the individual school to determine what activities they offer.  Army JROTCs are located in Hayfield Secondary, Edison, West Potomac, and South Lakes High Schools; Navy in Herdon High School, and Marine Corps in Mt. Vernon High School.

Prince William County Schools offer a variety of student activities that include school choral, band and orchestra, debate and forensics, theatre and scholastic bowl, student publications, 21 varsity sports, cheerleading and dance. For more information contact the local  JROTC programs are offered in the high schools. Potomac and Osborn Park Senior High Schools offer Naval programs, and Woodbridge Senior High School offers an Army program.

Sports Programs

Football and Basketball are among some of the sports offered by Fairfax County and Prince William County school systems.

Exceptional Children Programs

Fairfax County Schools have 17 Special Education Programs. Contact the individual school for specific programs or the ACS Exceptional Family Member Program at 703-805-2967 or DSN 312-655-2967 for assistance or contact Fairfax County Public Schools Special Education Office at 571-423-4010. Prince William County Schools Special Education Office telephone is 703-791-7287.

Local Schools


Fairfax County Public School System is the largest district in Virginia and the 12th largest in the nation, with 193 schools and approximately 166,275 students. The Prince William County Public School System is the third largest school district in Virginia with 82 schools with 5 Specialty Schools and 63,109 students.

Pupil Teacher Ratio/Grading System

County Comparisons


Fairfax County

Prince William County

Staffing Ratio Grades 1-3

24.5 to 1

22.1 to 1

Staffing Ratio Grades 4-6

26.5 to 1

22.1 to 1

Staffing Ratio Grades 7-8

27.0 to 1

21 to 1

Staffing Ratio Grades 9-12

24.0 to 1

22 to 1

Grading System A



Grading System B +



Grading System B



Grading System C +



Grading System C



Grading System D +



Grading System D



Grading System F

63 and below

64 and below

Special Programs Offered



Advance Placement



Achievement Test Scores

For achievement scores, please visit the Fairfax County Schools website and the Prince William County Schools website.

Fairfax County Schools


A center within an existing high school that offers advanced technical and specialized courses that successfully integrate career and academic preparations. Academies emphasize instruction in one or more career fields such as Engineering and Scientific Technology, Communication Arts, Health and Humans Services and International Studies and Business. Academies are located at Chantilly, Edison, and Fairfax High Schools.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Program

This rigorous advanced-level college preparatory program provides a comprehensive liberal arts education emphasizing analytical and writing skills with an international perspective. It is open to 11th and 12th grade students. The program is offered at Edison, Marshall, Mount Vernon, Robinson Secondary, South Lakes, and Stuart High Schools.

Advance Placement (AP) Program

AP Programs are offered in English, social studies, math, science, and foreign languages at each high school that does not offer an International Baccalaureate program. AP courses are open to enrollment to all students.

Alternative High Schools

Schools for students requiring a nontraditional setting. They have open enrollment, extended hours, and evening classes in summer.

College Partnership Program

An educational partnership involving the school system, colleges and universities, businesses, parents, and community organizations. It provides academic and motivational support for selected students. For eligibility criteria and information call 703-876-5208.

Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID) -- A program for underachieving students in middle and high school. Students are prepared to meet college entrance requirements. Call 703-846-8645.

DSSSE Alternative Schools -- Alternative schools for at-risk youth who have been placed by agency representatives and who have not been successful in traditional school settings.

English as a Second Language --Provided in 151 school settings for grades 1-12.

Foreign Language Partial-Immersion Program -- Located in selected elementary and middle schools in French, Spanish, Japanese, and German. Call 703-208-7724 for information on enrollment.

Gifted and Talented -- Programs are available for kindergarten through grade 12 at each school. Call the individual school for more information.

Summer School

Offered at selected sites and includes camps and institutes, community education courses, elementary and middle school integrated learning programs, English as a second language, high school courses for new or repeat credit, special education program, and SOL remediation programs. Call 703-227-2253.

Summer Reading Lists

Every student who will be entering grades six through twelve in the fall must read at least one book over the summer. The follow-up in the fall will be determined by each school. The lists contain suggestions for reading; although students may read any other book that is approved by their parents.

Prince William County Schools

International Baccalaureate (IB) Program

This rigorous advanced-level college preparatory program provides a comprehensive liberal arts education emphasizing analytical and writing skills with an international perspective. IB programs are offered at Stonewall High School, 703-325-2900, and Garfield High School 703-730-7000.

Center for Environmental and Biological Sciences offers a four-year program in applied science, mathematics, language arts and the humanities. The center is located at Osborn Park, 703-365-6500.

Center for Mathematics and Physical Sciences. An accelerated method of study offered through the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom, emphasizes mathematics and physical sciences. Located at Potomac Senior High School, 703-441-4200.

Center for International Studies and Languages located at Hylton Senior High School. A four year program in humanities, mathematics and sciences. 703-580-4000.

Gifted and Talented Programs

Gifted education services are available to students in kindergarten through grade 12. Five elementary gifted education centers have been established in Prince William County. Students involved in a school-based program receive services within that school. Middle school students receive appropriate instruction in each of the middle schools. Students in ninth through twelfth grade are provided with advanced classes and a bi-weekly seminar program. Students can apply to attend Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in the eighth grade. For more information on the Gifted program contact 703- 791-7400.

Alternative High School

Services for students who are experiencing academic and or behavioral difficulties are offered at Pennington High School, 703-369-6644.

English for Speakers of Other Languages

Classes are available to students in grades one through 12 for whom English is not the primary language and whose English is not adequate to function successfully in the regular subject area.

Driver Education is offered on a tuition basis. Students may take the full program, consisting of in-car instruction and classroom instruction, or a partial program of either in-car instruction only or classroom instruction only.

Summer School

A variety of educational experiences for elementary, middle school, and high school students, grades K-12 are available. Course offerings are contingent upon student enrollment, teacher availability, and funding. High school courses are available to make up courses failed, take new credits or enrich study in various areas. Shuttle transportation will be provided from each of the county's high schools.

Private Schools

For a listing of private schools in Fairfax County, please click here.


For information about homeschooling in Virginia, please click here.

Adult Education

Fort Belvoir Barden Education Center provides opportunities for adult continuing education. See the Education College/Technical Training topic for more information.


Education - Local Schools

How do I choose a school?

Choosing the right school for children is a priority for military families. Whether you are assigned living quarters or have a choice of where to live, it is important to explore all educational options to discover the proper match for each child. All parents want the best possible education for their children. Students have different learning styles and needs. Children within the same family may not learn in the same way or at the same rate. Finding the right educational setting for each child requires a careful examination of various options that are available to students and their families.

"Choosing a School for your Child", a publication of the U.S. Department of Education offers a series of checklists and pertinent questions to assist parents in making the right choices.

What schools are in my area (or in the area where I may move)?

Several high quality commercial tools are available to assist in making decisions about which school to choose for your child.

GreatSchools offers listings of 200,000 public and private schools serving students from preschool through high school and more than 800,000 parent ratings and reviews. GreatSchools also has a new program called College Bound, an online approach to helping parents raise college-ready high school graduates. 

Designed for military students, their families and the caring professionals who support them, SchoolQuest is an educational resource tool from the Military Child Education Coalition. It is meant to facilitate the search for new schools and centralize resources.

It's also a secure storage site for students' educational, extra-curricular, award, volunteer and work information. Please note, though, that is NOT a replacement for a school transcript. It can be viewed as a safe, centralized virtual "file drawer" where a student (or parent) can keep track of all the details that are so difficult to organize, but so necessary when students move or apply for college, jobs or military service.

In addition, SchoolQuest guests are granted access to research and time-tested information about successful educational transitions.

Military OneSource is a free service provided by the Department of Defense to service members and their families to help with a broad range of concerns including money management, spouse employment and education, parenting and child care, relocation, deployment, reunion, and the particular concerns of families with special-needs members.

How can I help plan for a successful transition in this new school and for my child's school career?

Parents often want to know about the availability of extracurricular activities and sports, or the availability of advanced classes. For these questions, it is best to contact the schools directly. It is important to ask the right questions. The following resources can help with these questions and others.

Military Child Education Coalition

Military Impacted Schools Association


Education - Local Schools/Overseas

Overseas Schools -- What You Should Know

Moving your family from one installation to another in the U.S. can be challenging enough; but moving your family overseas presents an even more complex situation. One of the most important challenges can be summed up by this question, "Where are my children going to go to school?"

This article will provide resources to help guide military families through the many questions and decisions regarding local schools abroad.

Where do I start?

Start with the information on your new installation. Visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and review the installation's Education - article. All of the overseas installations have dedicated a portion of the Education article to discussing the education options available in the local community as well as the DoD schools located on the installation, if available. Most installations overseas that allow accompanied family travel have one or more DoD schools.

What is the difference between a DoD school and an international or national school?

DoDEA is the Department of Defense Education Activity. DoDEA operates DoD schools in 12 foreign countries, Guam and Puerto Rico. All DoDEA schools are fully accredited by U.S. accreditation agencies and maintain high academic standards with well-rounded educational programs. Visit the DoDEA School Report Card website to find a detailed discussion of each DoD School.

In addition to DoDEA, the U.S. Department of State's Office of Overseas Schools mission is to promote quality educational opportunities for dependents of American citizens overseas at the elementary and secondary level. If a DoD school is not available on your installation there may be a school in the local community that is an American-Sponsored Elementary and Secondary School.

International schools are English-language schools whereas National schools are schools where courses are taught in the native language. The curriculum and grading system of an International school tends to be similar to the traditional American education system. This is a consideration if your family will be returning to the U.S. prior to your child or children graduating high school. Remember, when choosing a school it is best to try to match the school with your child's needs and expectations.

Where can I find a list of International schools in the country where my family is moving?

The Internet can be an excellent resource for finding International Schools overseas. You can find a complete directory of overseas schools on the International Schools Services' website.

In addition, the World Wide Schools website is an excellent resource. From the homepage you can select the country. Once you have done this, a list of schools will appear and you can then choose which one you are interested in researching. All of the information appearing on this website is provided by the schools directly. Some of the information you may find on a school includes: a background summary about the school, the school's address, phone number, website, and even the email address of the director of the school. This information should be explored so that you can make comparisons with other International schools in the area to determine the best place for your child/children.

How do I decide what school is best for my child?

This process is much the same as it would be in the U.S. You may not have as many choices but it is important to make a list of possible schools and then begin to ask around. This is a daunting task since it is likely that there will be a language barrier. However, talk to the Relocation Personnel in the Family Center and your sponsor at your new installation who may be able to put you in touch with other families with children around the same age as your child/children. Always contact the school directly and ask for references.

Once you have narrowed down your options, interview the school or schools directly. This is best done in person, if possible. Ask about: attendance, atmosphere, curriculum; grading system, tuition, accreditations, the staff and administration; as well as other practical details such as, does the school provide meals, what types of extra curricular programs are available, is there transportation, holidays and schedule, sports programs, before and after school care programs, and how is the facility maintained.

Now that I have chosen a school, how do I successfully facilitate the transition for my child?

A successful transition should be a priority during planning the move and once the move has been completed. The more knowledge you provide your child with, the more confident he/she will feel once he/she arrives at the new school. Allow your child to be a part of the decision making process, if he/she is old enough, and take his/her opinions into account.

MilitaryStudent provides several valuable tools to facilitate the transition process. Although many of these tools are not geared specifically to an international move the resources provided do apply to any military student transitioning to a new school in the U.S. or overseas.


Education - Training (College/Technical)

Education Center

Barden Education Center is located in Building 1017 on Fort Belvoir, and is open Monday thru Friday, 0700 to 1600.  Barden Education Center provides adult education opportunities to Military, Adult Family Members, Retirees and Department of Defense Civilians.  Services include Educational Counseling, Testing, Functional Army Skills Training (FAST), Multi-Use Learning Facility (MLF,) Facility Space Management and On-post undergraduate and graduate college programs.

The following schools offer on post programs at Barden Education Center.


Northern Virginia Community College      703-360-8524

Park University                                     703-781-8456

University of Maryland Univ. College       703-805-0059

Central Michigan University                    703-360-5336

Webster University                                703-781-7942

Old Dominion University                         703-781-8203

Education Related Links:

Process Tuition Assistance: www.GoArmyEd.Com

VA Benefits:



The Van Noy Library is located in Building 1024, 5966 12th St (near 12th and Belvoir Rd), Fort Belvoir, VA 22060. The telephone number is (703) 806-3323.

Operating Hours:

Sun - Mon: Closed
Tue - Fri: 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Sat: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed Federal Holidays*

The library is open to Military stationed at Fort Belvoir (including TDY) and your family, members of armed forces and their families residing in the area, retired military and their families living in the area, and DoD civilians working/living in the area. Present the appropriate ID, register, and you can begin borrowing immediately.

Book Clubs

The Van Noy Library has Book Clubs of various age ranges and subject matter that meet regularly to discuss the chosen books.

Current Reference

The most current and most used reference materials. A Reference Librarian is on hand to assist with research projects, offer instruction in using online resources, and to help locate needed information.

Children's Library

In the Children's Library (on the 1st floor), parents and children can can find books, participate in summer reading programs and activities, attend story-hours, use a computer together, or ask staff about great books to read.

Young Adult Collection

The YA collection has a new home near the circulation desk. It is continuously growing with fiction, non-fiction and reference books. You will also find audio books and some graphic novels.

Audio/Visual Collections

DVD's: adventure, classics, foreign language, documentaries, instructional, children's, performance and award winning films. You'll find it all here.

Audio Books, or "talking books", of current fiction, classics, non-fiction and biographies are available.


Circulating fiction and non-fiction books are on the 1st floor. We are currently in process of updating the collection to be able to offer you the latest and greatest.

Reference Department

Non-circulating reference books on a variety of subjects are available for research. Online databases are available here on this webpage, look on the right side of the page.


Magazines, newspapers, Consumer Reports, used car price guides, and related materials may not be checked out but are available for leisure reading or research.

Military History

A collection of circulating books, biographies, and non-circulating reference materials on military history are in the Military History Room. History books are also located on the 1st floor in the non-fiction section.


Housing - Overview

Housing Services Office

The Housing Services Office (HSO) is a branch of The Fort Belvoir Residential Communities Liaison Office. The HSO is located at 9851 Harding Place Fort Belvoir, VA 22060 Phone 703-805-3019/3018 Fax 703-805-3061.

The overall goal of the Housing Services Office is to implement and maintain a high quality worldwide resource for relocation services that is innovative, comprehensive and the first choice of information and support when Soldiers and families relocate. These services include but are not limited to; home buying and selling support, rental property listings, temporary housing listings, off-post quality housing inspections, in and out-processing, permissive temporary duty (PTDY) stamp, lease review, landlord and tenant mediation, and advocacy.

Fort Belvoir is located in Fairfax County, VA. However, military families may live in surrounding counties including Alexandria, Arlington, Prince William, Prince George's, Frederick, Montgomery and Stafford counties.

Temporary Lodging

Reservations for TDY and PCS personnel are accepted 24 hours a day up to 6 months in advance of arrival. PCS reservations are made for up to 14 days initially, with the possibility of extending to 30 days if space allows. Unofficial guests may call for reservations 7 days prior to arrival, and if space is available, a reservation can be made for 5 nights at a time. DoD Civilians can use the facility if traveling on TDY orders or if their PCS move is to Fort Belvoir from an OCONUS location or from Fort Belvoir to an OCONUS location. Pets (dogs & cats ONLY) may stay in lodging facilities provided a pet room is available. Nightly pet fees as well as a non-refundable cleaning fee will be imposed on all guests with pets. Lodging reservations can be made by calling (703) 704-8600 or 1-800-295-9750.

On-Post Housing

The Villages at Belvoir's mission is to provide family housing to military families assigned to Fort Belvoir and within the Greater Washinton D.C. Metropolitan Area, who apply for and are eligible for housing on the installation.

The Villages at Belvoir is comprised of new, historic, and traditional housing in 15 distinct villages. Nestled among the tall evergreens and mature trees along the Potomac River, the family communities exhibit the riverside personality and rich history of Fort Belvoir.

As a resident of The Villages at Belvoir, you have access to five state-of-the-art Community Centers that offer you free Internet access copying and faxing services, along with free meeting and party facilities. The community offers residents free use of a community pool along with two fitness centers, picnic pavilions, basketball and volleyball courts, green spaces, a dog park, fitness trails, and playgrounds that are present throughout the Villages.  You will also enjoy the family events, such as barbecues and movie nights, held throughout the year.

Living on-post affords quality of life with gyms, pools, a marina, golf course, field house, and skate park all close to home and work. Walk to the Village Commons, the first ever mixed-use development on an Army post, to enjoy a cup of fresh coffee or shop at one of the retail shops.

Two, three, four and five bedroom homes are available. All homes offer electric washer/dryer connections, dishwashers, refrigerators, and high-speed Internet connection. New and renovated homes are ENERGY STAR certified and boast at least three bedrooms and two full baths, nine-foot ceilings on the first floor, 42" cabinets, Corian countertops and ceiling fans.

For more information, please contact the Family Housing Welcome Center at 5994 12th Street Fort Belvoir, VA 22060 Phone 703-619-3877/1-888-740-9851 Fax 703-619-3878. Website: Email:

Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (Troop Housing)

Currently all personnel authorized BAQ at the without dependent rate in the Pay Grade of E5 and below are required to live in the Barracks.

McRee Barracks is Fort Belvoir's Unaccompanied Personnel Housing Facility. It consists of 6 buildings with 404 rooms and seven laundry/day rooms. Located on the North Post, it is convenient to the Dining Facility, PX and Concessions, Woods Theater, Fitness Centers, Swimming Pools and the Post Chapel.

New arrivals using this service must report to the Unaccompanied Personnel Housing office located in building 2105A by 9:00 a.m. on the next duty day.

For questions please call (703) 806-5386/5022.


Housing - Temporary

Temporary Lodging Facility

Reservations/Eligibility and Pets

Temporary Duty (TDY): All DOD personnel may obtain a reservation 6 months in advance. Length of stay is based on official orders as long as space is available. No pets allowed.

Military personnel on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) may initially obtain a reservation 6 months in advance for up to 30 days. Pets (dogs, cats, fish and small birds) are permitted only in designated rooms, 2 pet maximum. A $140.00 non-refundable cleaning fee will be charged to the guest in addition to a $5.00 daily fee per pet.

DOD Civilians may stay if traveling on official PCS orders, however reservations may only be booked five nights at a time for a maximum of 30 days (if space is available). No pets allowed.

All military personnel (active and retired) and only DOD Civilians traveling on official PCS orders are eligible to stay as space available/unofficial travelers.

Space Available/Unofficial Travel: Call 30 days prior to arrival. If space is available, you may book up to five nights at a time. No pets allowed.

**A list of area kennels may be obtained from the front desk at Lodging or Army Community Service (ACS).


Please call for rates. 


Housing - Government


Family Housing


Two, three, four and five bedroom homes are available. Fifteen village communities - new construction, traditional housing, and historic homes - are conveniently located on Fort Belvoir. Visit The Villages at Belvoir websit at for examples of types of housing available and floor plans.

Six neighborhood offices serve the military families living on-post. Each office provides full-service property management to its neighborhood. The teams are there to assist you on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with all matters pertaining to your housing needs. Maintenance services include 24 hour emergency availability and landscaping for each home. For information about waiting times, waiting lists or advance applications please contact the Family Housing Welcome Center at 1.888.740.9851 or 703.619.3877.

Eligibility and Application

Fort Belvoir homes are available to all military families assigned to  the Military District of Washinton D.C. Please contact the Family Housing Welcome Center for more information.

Housing Services Office

All military members with families are required by Department of the Army to report to the Housing Services Office as part of in-processing. The office is located at 9851 Harding Place, Building 258 and the hours of operation are from 7a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone number is: 703.805.3019.

Residential Community Liaison Office (RCLO)

Fort Belvoir housing is privatized under the Army's Residential Communities Initiative program. The program's goal is to improve quality of life for military families by offering safe, affordable, and attractive residential communities. The intent of the program is to provide military families the same quality of life in housing as the civilians they defend. While Fort Belvoir Residential Communities (FBRC) is the owner, various private partners handle all of the day-to-day construction and operations activities.

As the Army's liaison to FBRC partnership, the RCLO mission is to represent the interests of the residents in family housing and installation staff at Fort Belvoir. In general, and under normal conditions, residents will interact routinely with the property manager for normal, day-to-day items related to family housing. However, from time to time, the residents may have a need to contact the RCLO to share their opinions about family housing or discuss other issues that may arise. The RCLO acts as a mediator between the residents and the property management team on any unresolved issues or concerns.

Mobile Homes

Although there are mobile home parks in the area, there are few vacancies and a waiting list of one to two years is common. It is advisable not to ship your mobile home until you can confirm of a suitable parking site.

Single Service Member Housing


McRee Barracks is Fort Belvoir’s Unaccompanied Personnel Housing Facility. It consists of 6 buildings with 404 rooms and seven laundry/day rooms. Located on the North Post, it is convenient to the Dining Facility, PX and Concessions, Woods Theater, Fitness Centers, Swimming Pools and the Post Chapel.


Single Soldiers E-5 and below are required to live in the barracks. Depending on availability, Fort Belvoir homes maybe available to single soldiers E6 and above, and all ranks of geographical bachelors from all service branches assigned to Fort Belvoir and the National Capital Region. Please contact the Family Housing Welcome Center at 1.888.740.9851 or 703.619.3877 for information.

Application Procedures

Arriving personnel should first process in to their Unit and the Welcome Center in Building 213, 20th Street before reporting to the Unaccompanied Personnel Housing Office located in building 2105A, 9001 Gunston Road.

Unaccompanied personnel arriving after duty hours and on the weekend can report to the Military Police station located on Abbot Road for a temporary room. New arrivals using this service must report to the Unaccompanied Personnel Housing office located in building 2105A by 0900 on the next duty day.


Household Goods - Overview

Arranging Household Goods Shipments

As soon as you are alerted to your upcoming Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move, you can start getting your house and family ready. Clean up and get rid of junk. Hold a yard sale or take serviceable items you no longer need to a thrift shop or donate to charity. Get important family records together in one place.

If you are going overseas, you should begin to plan what items you will take in your unaccompanied baggage, in your household goods shipment, and what might need to go into permanent storage. Remember, in overseas areas, the electric current is different and houses are generally much smaller than U.S. standards and cannot handle large furniture.

Household Goods Shipping Process

The Defense Personal Property System (DPS) is the online system you will use to manage your household goods shipment. explains this new process and provides access to DPS.

Shipping Pets

Planning for shipment of your pet includes researching airline requirements and quarantine restriction laws in your new location. You will need to check with the airlines on the requirements for size, weight, number of animals, kennel construction, documentation and season of the year limitations. Occasionally, small pets can be shipped on military flights but availability and regulations are always changing, as well as fees. Search for general information on shipping pets.

Many international locations have strict importation laws including extended quarantines and restrictions on breeds or types of animals that can be brought into the country. Carefully research these rules as they could impact your moving schedule. Not only do overseas locations have strict rules but many locations in the United States have restrictions on certain breeds as well. Review your destination installation's Shipping Pets article for details found on the left hand tool bar on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.

"It's Your Move" Armed Forces Members

Review "It's Your Move" Armed Forces Members, Part IV, Attachment K1 for detailed information on weight allowances, valuable tips, household goods shipping process, storage, shipping your automobile (POV - Privately Owned Vehicle), arrival and delivery of household goods shipments, claims process, and the customer satisfaction survey.


Household Goods - Shipping Pets


It is a good idea to make advanced reservations for pet boarding as soon as you know your arrival date. This is an area where your sponsor can be of assistance. If you will be staying in temporary lodging, please remember that the Fort Belvoir Lodging does not accept pets of any kind. Also, many local hotels require an extra deposit if you are staying with a pet.

There are many pet kennels in this area, however, the following kennels are those closest to Fort Belvoir. To obtain a more exhaustive list, please consult the Northern Virginia Yellow Pages. 

  • Royal Pet Shop and Kennel 703-354-7222
  • Woodlawn Kennels 703-360-6161
  • Springfield Animal Hospital 703-451-1995
  • Saratoga Animal Hospital 703-455-1188
  • Montrose Pet Hotel 703-425-5000


The cost to board a cat ranges from $10-20/day. To board a dog, the cost can be $15-28/day. For pets other than cats and dogs, please contact the kennel to determine if they will accept your pet.


Once you have decided that an animal is going to be your traveling companion, plan for your pet's trip in the same way you plan your own. Make sure your pet is healthy and strong enough to travel. Think about the changes your pet will face in its new home. Is there enough space for exercising? How does your pet adjust to new people or strange places? If you are flying with your pet, make sure the crate has a label with the pet's name, your name, address, phone number, and the destination address. You will also want to ensure the cage has any special instructions. Also, make sure your pet has proper identification tags. The information should include your pet's name, your name, address and phone number.


Fairfax County

Dogs over four months old must be licensed annually and vaccinated against rabies. Dog licenses will be sold only upon presentation of a certificate that the dog has been inoculated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian. Dog licenses cost $5.00 per year for spayed/neutered animals and $10.00 for fertile animals. To obtain a $5.00 license, certification must be provided that the animal has been spayed/neutered by a veterinarian or is infertile. All dogs must have a license tag securely attached to a collar and worn whenever the dog is off the owner's property.

Cats over four months old must be inoculated against rabies but are not required to be licensed. Licensing of cats is not required; however, the wearing of an identification tag on a safety collar is recommended.

Prince William County

All dogs four months of age or older must be licensed each year by January 31st. The fee is $5.00 per dog. A current rabies vaccination certificate must be shown for each dog to be licensed. Persons moving into the County must comply with the license requirements at that time.

Cats four months of age or older must have a current rabies vaccination.


There is no quarantine for pets arriving from overseas locations as long as the owner provides a valid veterinarian's certificate that states the pet has no diseases and current rabies inoculations.

Fort Belvoir Veterinary Clinic

All animals are seen by appointment only. Clients may call for an appointment. Routine services include vaccinations of dogs and cats, heartworm testing, feline leukemia virus testing, and health certification. There is a small service charge added to the total cost of every cash transaction as required by the Treasury Department.

The Veterinary Clinic also runs a stray/homeless facility. Stop by and check the photo board located in the waiting area.


Special Needs

As many as 15 percent of military families have members with special needs.  These include spouses, children, or dependent parents who require special medical or educational services. These family members have a diagnosed physical, intellectual or emotional condition. The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) serves these families in several ways.

These four articles will provide families with special needs helpful information and points of contact:

  • Enrollment/EFMP – This article discusses the Exceptional Family Member Program enrollment, which is mandatory for all military personnel who have a member of their family with a medical or educational disability.  The article discusses the purpose of enrollment, the process and provides Service-specific differences. 
  • Family Support/EFMP – This article discusses the family support function of the EFMP, which may include information and referral support (to military and community resources), financial management assistance, relocation assistance, and for some families, case management.  The article provides Service-specific differences and identifies the point of contact at each installation.
  • Health Care/Special Needs -  The military health care system supports families with special needs in a number of ways.  This article describes the special services and provides the point of contact at the Military Treatment Facility.
  • Special Education/EIS – Describes two programs that provide educational intervention for children with disabilities who are from birth to three (early intervention services) or are school aged (3-21) (special education). 


Special Needs - EFMP Enrollment

What is the EFMP?

The EFMP supports military families with special medical and educational considerations. The program has three components:

  • Identification and enrollment of a family member with special medical and/or educational considerations.
  • Assignment coordination to determine the availability of services at the projected duty station.
  • Family support to help families identify and access programs and services.

Identification and Enrollment Who should enroll?

Family members with special medical or educational considerations, including a spouse, child, or a dependent adult, should enroll in the program. This includes family members who:

  • require special medical services for a chronic diagnosed condition such as asthma, attention deficit disorder, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, etc.
  • receive ongoing services from a medical specialist
  • have significant behavioral health concerns
  • receive early intervention or special education services through an individualized education program (IEP) or individualized family service plan (IFSP)

Why enroll in the EFMP?

EFMP enrollment ensures a family member's diagnosed medical and educational needs are considered during the assignment process. It also allows families to receive the support and assistance they need to navigate medical and educational systems.

How to enroll in the EFMP?

Enrollment in the EFMP is mandatory for active duty military members; members of the Guard or Reserves may enroll according to Service-specific guidance. Paperwork required for enrollment in the EFMP is available from the EFMP medical point of contact at the installation military treatment facility (MTF) or, in the Marine Corps, from local installation's EFMP offices, Marine and Family Services. The forms are also available through the EFMP MCCS website. The forms for enrollment are:

  • DD Form 2792, Family Member Medical Summary. In order to document medical needs, the service member, spouse, or adult family member completes the demographic information on pages 1-3. The remainder is completed by the family member's physician or other qualified medical professional, and includes the diagnosis, frequency of care, medication, and any special accommodations required by the family member (pages 4-7). Addendums (pages 8-11) are included and completed as applicable.
  • DD Form 2792-1, Special Education/Early Intervention Summary. In order to document educational needs, the sponsor, parent, or legal guardian completes items 1 - 7 of the first page, as well as 1 and 2 on the second page. The remainder of the form is completed by school or early intervention program personnel. The form includes the child's educational diagnosis and is accompanied by a copy of the IEP or individual family service plan (IFSP)

After the appropriate medical and/or educational provider completes the form, they must be returned to the EFMP medical point of contact.

Assignment Coordination

What is assignment coordination?

The military mission is the driving force behind the assignment process, but the EFMP enrollment ensures that a family member's special needs are considered in the process. Assignment coordination occurs when the personnel command requests medical and/or educational professionals to review a family member's documented needs to determine the availability of services at a projected location.

Why is assignment coordination important?

Assignment coordination is important because access to appropriate medical and educational services may be limited in some locations, especially in overseas and remote locations. When assignment coordination occurs, family members receive the care and support they require and the service member can focus more clearly on mission-related responsibilities.


Special Needs - EFMP Family Support

What is the EFMP?

The EFMP supports military families with special medical and educational considerations. The program has three components:

  • Identification and enrollment of a family member with special medical and/or educational considerations.
  • Assignment coordination to determine the availability of services at the projected duty station.
  • Family support to help families identify and access programs and services.

Family Support

What is Family Support?

EFMP family support helps families identify and access programs and services. Family support includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • information and referral for military and community services
  • education and training about issues related to the special considerations
  • referral to other family support center providers
  • promotion of self-advocacy
  • local school and early intervention services (EIS) information
  • warm handoffs to the EFMP at the next location
  • non-clinical case management, including individualized services plans

Where are EFMP family support providers located?

EFMP family support providers are primarily located at installation family support centers. For families who are not located near an installation, consult your Service website for more information about accessing services or call Military OneSource at 1-800-342-9647.


Special Needs - Health Care

Exceptional Family Member Program

The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is mandatory for all family members who have been identified with a special medical or educational need. Enrolling in the EFMP ensures that the family member's medical needs will be considered during the assignment coordination process.

Military Treatment Facility

The clinics and services available at Military Treatment Facilities vary by location. Before you move, identify the MTF that will serve you, visit the MTF's website to learn about the clinics and services available and to get relevant contact information.

Moving to a New TRICARE Region

If you anticipate a move to another TRICARE region, work with your local TRICARE Service Center (TSC) or case manager before your move to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible. On arrival at the new duty location, your sponsor should contact the Beneficiary Counseling and Assistance Coordinator (BCAC)or TSC to ensure the transition plans are in place and to obtain authorizations for TRICARE Extended Care Health Option (ECHO) services, if applicable.

Beneficiary Counseling and Assistance Coordinator (BCAC)

All TRICARE Regional Offices and most MTFs are staffed with BCACs (formerly known as Health Benefits Advisors.) BCACs provide information, guidance and assistance on benefit options, TRICARE Prime enrollment, special authorizations, status of claims and eligibility, plus assistance with referrals and appointments. If you or your family member has a more severe medical need, contact your assigned case manager.

Case Management

Case management involves a team of health care professionals who help you and your family to find solutions to complex health problems. It is important to inform your case manager if you are moving as he/she will connect you with the case manager at your new location.

Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)

TRICARE ECHO provides financial assistance to beneficiaries of active duty service members who qualify based on specific mental or physical disabilities. ECHO offers an integrated set of services and supplies beyond the basic TRICARE program. ECHO is administered by regional contractors in the TRICARE North, South, and West Regions and by TRICARE Regional Offices in overseas locations.

Transporting Medical Equipment

Your Installation Transportation Office has special procedures to follow for the transportation of medical equipment that is necessary for medical treatment required by the sponsor or family member. Some types of medical equipment may be shipped in the same manner as Professional Books, Papers, and Equipment (PBP&E).

Federal and State Health Care Programs

Medicaid - Medicaid pays for medical assistance for certain individuals and families with low incomes and resources. State Medicaid programs are usually administered by departments of social service or departments of medical assistance.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - SSI is a cash assistance program intended to meet basic needs for food, clothing and shelter for those who are aged, blind or disabled. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. Families must reapply upon each move to another state.

Title V of the Social Security Act - Many states have services for children with special health care needs that are funded by the Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant, or Title V. State departments of health web sites and local health departments will provide information on state health benefits for children with special health care needs. The Maternal and Child Health Bureaus' web site has Title V information organized by State that provide you with Title V points of contact and other pertinent information.

Other Important Resources

Debt Collection Assistance Officer (DCAO) - TRICARE has a DCAO assigned to TRICARE Regional Offices and MTFs worldwide to help beneficiaries understand and get assistance with debt collection problems related to TRICARE. Individuals who have received a notice from a collection agency or a negative credit report because of a medical or dental bill should be referred to the nearest DCAO.

Family Voices - Family Voices is a national, grassroots clearinghouse for information and education concerning the health care of children with special health needs. Family Voices also has State points of contacts with useful links to State programs and organizations.

Installation Specific Information

The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is a Department of the Army program which assists family members with special needs. An exceptional family member is any family member who has an illness or a disability that limits daily functions and requires ongoing educational or health related services.

The EFMP office at Army Community Service (ACS), Building 200, can assist with information on resources available, support programs offered, and a large lending library. ACS EFMP offers support groups, family arts and crafts and respite care. For more information, call 703-805-2967, 703-805-5435, 703-805-4590 or DSN 312-655-2967, 312-655-5435, 312-655-4590.


Enrollment in the Exceptional Family Member Program must be done through the EFMP office located in the basement of DeWitt Army Community Hospital. Updates are required every 3 years or as the condition changes and must be done through the medical EFMP office at 703-805-5453 or DSN 312-655-5435. 


Education - Special Education/EIS

Exceptional Family Member Program

The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is mandatory for all family members who have been identified with a special medical or educational need. Enrolling in the EFMP ensures that the family member’s medical needs will be considered during the assignment coordination process.

Children from Birth to Three Years of Age

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires all States and territories to provide early intervention services to children from birth to age three who are developmentally delayed, or who are at high risk of being developmentally delayed. Early intervention services may be provided by local school districts or health departments.  There is no common name across States for the programs, but you may hear them referred to as Part C programs (because Part C is the section of the IDEA that pertains to early intervention).

The National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center provides a list of State Part C directors and funded programs at their web site. Military OneSource can identify local early intervention programs for you.

  • Parents of children who receive early intervention services should hand-carry a copy of the Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) and most current evaluation reports to the new location.

Children from 3 through 21 Years of Age

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires all States and Territories to provide special education services to children who are from 3 through 21 year of age.  Each local school district has a special education director, and each school should have a case study committee or school based committee (terms differ) that attends to special education students’ needs.

Parents of children receiving special education and related services should hand-carry all pertinent school and medical documents to include their children’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) and current testing and evaluation reports to the new school.

The IDEA requires that if a child transfers to a district in the same state, the receiving school must provide comparable services to those in the child's IEP from the sending district's until the new school develops and implements a new IEP. If a child transfers to another State, the receiving district must provide comparable services to those in the child's IEP from the sending district until the receiving district completes an evaluation and creates a new IEP.

Others who can help you:

  • Parent Training and Information Centers  Each state is home to at least one Parent Training and Information Center (PTI). PTIs serve families of children and young adults from birth to age 22 with all disabilities: physical, cognitive, emotional, and learning.  They help families obtain appropriate education and services for their children with disabilities; work to improve education results for all children; train and inform parents and professionals on a variety of topics; resolve problems between families and schools or other agencies; and connect children with disabilities to community resources that address their needs.  The Technical Assistance Alliance for Parent Centers provides addresses and phone number of the centers in your state.
  • STOMP (Specialized Training of Military Parents) is a federally funded Parent Training and Information (PTI) Center established to assist military families who have children with special education or health needs. The staff of the STOMP Project are parents of children who have disabilities and have experience in raising their children in military communities and traveling with their spouses to different locations.

Washington PAVE
STOMP Project
6316 So. 12th St.
Tacoma, WA 98465
253-565-2266 (v/tty)
1-800-5-PARENT (v/tty)
Fax: 253-566-8052

Installation Specific Information

Special Education and related services are offered in the public schools. Students are referred by the Child Study Committee for evaluation. If the committee determines that the student has a disability and requires special education and related services, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) will be developed to provide free, appropriate, public education in the least restrictive environment.

Contact Information

Fairfax County Schools have 17 Special Education Programs. Contact the individual school for specific programs or the ACS Exceptional Family Member Program at 703-805-2967,for assistance.

Fairfax County Public Schools special education 703-204-3941

Prince William County Schools special education 703-791-7287


Health Care - Overview

Moving With TRICARE

Whether moving stateside or overseas, active duty families can now switch their TRICARE Prime enrollment by phone! Before you start your move, contact your losing TRICARE health care contractor to see if you need to switch to a new region. TRICARE does the rest! You must update DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) with your new address so you do not have any disruptions in service and your enrollment moves with you. Get contact information, and more TRICARE moving tips on the TRICARE website.

Your TRICARE coverage is completely portable-meaning it moves with you. You are covered worldwide-both in-transit to your new duty location and once you arrive-but depending on where you go, you may use a different TRICARE health plan option. Additionally, you may have different enrollment steps depending on which health plan option is available in your new area.

When Enrolled in a TRICARE Prime Option

The TRICARE Prime options include TRICARE Prime and TRICARE Prime Remote for stateside and TRICARE Prime Overseas and TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas for overseas. Follow these simple steps to set-up Prime coverage in your new location without a break in coverage.

  1. Do not disenroll from your TRICARE Prime option before you move.
  2. Call your losing contractor and provide information about your upcoming move; new duty station, expected date of arrival, cell phone number, valid email address, and eligible family members moving to the new location.
  3. Your losing contractor passes the information along to your new contractor.
  4. Within five days of your anticipated arrival, your new contractor will try to call/contact you to confirm your arrival and enrollment choices.
  5. Once you agree to the transfer, the process is complete. It could take up to four days, but you never lose TRICAREPrime/Prime Remote coverage.

There are other ways to set-up Prime in your new area:

  1. Before moving, visit your local TRICARE Service Center to complete an enrollment change form.
  2. Go online and set-up your new enrollment via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment website.
  3. Download and complete a TRICARE Prime Enrollment Application and PCM Change Form. Mail it to the new contractor or drop it at a local TRICARE Service Center.
  4. Enroll when you in-process at your new duty station.

Enrollment and assignment of a new primary care manager (PCM) should occur within 30 days when moving within the same region, a new region or overseas.

Update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately, as your new location reflected in DEERS is the key to transferring enrollment.

Where you are moving determines which Prime option is available.

Prime Options in the United States


TRICARE Prime is offered in Prime Service Areas-geographic areas typically located around a military treatment facility-throughout the country.

TRICARE Prime Remote

In non-Prime service areas, which are generally 60 minutes (one hour) drive-time or 50 miles from the nearest MTF, TRICARE offers TRICARE Prime Remote. Enrollment is normally with a network provider when available; otherwise, enrollment is with a TRICARE authorized provider who manages all of your care. Any TRICARE-eligible family members living with you in a TRICARE Prime Remote area can enroll in TRICARE Prime Remote for active duty family members. Be sure to include them on the enrollment form.



Managed Care Support Partner

Call Toll-Free



Health Net Federal Services, Inc.



Humana Military Healthcare Services, Inc.



UnitedHealthcare Military & Veterans


Prime Options Outside the United States

TRICARE Prime Overseas (TOP)/TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas

TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas is a Prime option offered in designated remote overseas locations. Command-sponsored family members who reside with you are eligible for TRICARE Prime Overseas. Be sure to include all family members who wish to use TRICARE Prime Overseas.

Before you move to another overseas area or to an area within the United States, contact the nearest TRICARE Service Center or managed care contractor for assistance.

TRICARE - Eurasia - Africa TRICARE - Latin America and Canada TRICARE - Pacific
TOP Regional Call Center (1)
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Medical Assistance (2)

TOP Regional Call Center (1)
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Medical Assistance (2)


TOP Regional Call Center (1)
Singapore: +65-6339-2676
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Sydney: +61-9273-2710
(Toll-free from the U.S.)

Medical Assistance (2)
Singapore: +65-6338-9277
Sydney: +61-2-9273-2760


TRICARE Area Office

314-496-6314 (DSN)

Toll Free: 1-888-777-8343, option #1

TRICARE Area Office

312-554-8520 (DSN)

Toll Free: 1-888-777-8343 option #3

TRICARE Area Office

315-643-2036 (DSN)

Toll Free (If calling from U.S.):
Singapore: 1-877-678-1208
Sydney: 1-877-678-1209

Health Care Claims
(Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims
PO Box 7968
Madison, WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims
(Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims
P.O. Box 7968
Madison WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims
(Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims
PO Box 7968
Madison, WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims
(Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Program
P.O. Box 8976
Madison, WI 53708-8976 USA

Health Care Claims
(Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Program
PO Box 7985
Madison, WI 53707-7985 USA

Health Care Claims
(Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Program
PO Box 7985
Madison, WI 53707-7985 USA

(1) For toll-free numbers contact
(2) Only call Medical Assistance numbers to coordinate overseas emergency care

When Using TRICARE Standard and Extra

TRICARE Standard and Extra are available to family members only. Active duty service members are required to enroll in one of the Prime options described above.

TRICARE Standard and Extra are available throughout the United States and enrollment is not required. Any eligible active duty family member who is registered in DEERS may use these programs by seeing any network (Extra) or non-network TRICARE authorized provider. In areas outside of the United States, active duty family members who do not want to use a Prime option may use TRICARE Standard Overseas by seeing qualified host nation providers.

If you are already using TRICARE Standard and Extra, moving is easy.

  1. Once you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately.
  2. Find TRICARE-authorized providers in your new area.

Here are a few things to remember about using TRICARE Standard and Extra in a new region

  • In the U.S.: Visit your new regional contractor's website for a list of network providers. Remember, if you see network providers, you will be using the Extra option and pay lower cost shares.
  • Outside of the U.S.: Contact International SOS or the MTF Service Center for help locating a qualified host nation provider. The TRICARE Extra option is not available in overseas areas.
  • If you move to a new region, you will have a new claims address for submitting your TRICARE claims.
  • Learn your new region's prior authorization requirements because these requirements can differ by region.

When Using TRICARE For Life

TRICARE For Life-TRICARE's supplemental coverage for those who are eligible for Medicare and have purchased Medicare Part B - requires no enrollment and you will have a smooth transition when you move. TRICARE for Life contact information: WPS TRICARE For Life, P.O. Box 7889, Madison, WI 53707-7889; 1-866-773-0404; TDD 1-866-773-0405.

  • Once you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately.
  • Find Medicare providers in your new area.
  • Visit Medicare's website.

If you move overseas, your TRICARE For Life coverage may change depending on where you move. In U.S. Territories such as Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, TRICARE For Life coverage works the same as the stateside program. But, in all other overseas locations, TRICARE For Life Overseas works differently because Medicare does not provide coverage in most overseas locations. Therefore, TRICARE is the primary payer. You can get care from any host nation provider and may have to pay up front for care received. You will be responsible for TRICARE deductibles and cost shares.

Contact International SOS, or the TRICARE Area Office for the overseas area where you are moving, or the nearest American Embassy Health Unit for assistance finding a host nation provider.

Note*** Active Duty and Active Duty Family Members are not required to purchase Medicare Part B until the sponsor is ready to retire or during the special enrollment period. However, it is highly encouraged to purchase it once eligible to avoid loss of TRICARE coverage.

Getting Care Along the Way

Routine Medical and Dental Care-Get it before you go.

Before you move, make sure you have received any routine medical or dental care you think you might need during the time you will be traveling. Or, delay the care until you get to your new duty location. Check supply of all prescription medications and get refills/new prescriptions until you can make an appointment with your new Primary Care Manager (PCM) at your new duty site.

Emergency Care in the United States-Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

TRICARE defines emergency care as medical services provided for a sudden or unexpected medical or psychiatric condition, or the sudden worsening of a chronic (ongoing) condition that is threatening to life, limb, or sight and needs immediate medical treatment, or which has painful symptoms that need immediate relief to stop suffering. If you are near a military treatment facility (MTF), you should go to the MTF or military dental treatment facility for emergency services. If you are seen in a civilian facility, contact your PCM or regional contractor within 24 hours.

Urgent care in the United States-Coordinate with your PCM and/or regional contractor.

TRICARE defines urgent care as medical care for a condition that will not result in disability or death if not treated immediately but should be treated within 24 hours to avoid further complications. If you are in a Prime program, you must coordinate urgent care with your primary care manager and/or regional contractor before receiving the care. If you are in TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE For Life, you can receive care as you normally would. You should, however, contact your contractor as soon as possible to coordinate any prior authorizations that are needed.

Emergency or Urgent care Overseas follow these steps

AD and ADFM enrolled in TRICARE Prime and travelling outside the United States:

  • Contact the TRICARE Area Office, or go to their website for assistance finding Emergency or Urgent care.

AD and ADFM stationed overseas:

  • For Urgent care coordination, contact your MTF PCM, or
  • Contact the closest TRICARE Area Office, or
  • Contact the TRICARE Overseas Regional Call Center, or
  • Go to their website (

You do not need prior authorization for emergency or urgent care but the TRICARE Area Office or TRICARE Global Remote Call Center will help you find the best care available in the overseas area in which you are traveling.

Filling Prescriptions on the Road

You should have all your prescriptions filled before you leave, but if you need a prescription filled while you are traveling in the United States, you have several options:

  • If near an MTF, fill the prescription at the MTF pharmacy.
  • Find the closest TRICARE network pharmacy.
  • If a network pharmacy is not available, you can visit a non-network pharmacy. In this case, you may have to pay up front for your medications and file a claim with Express Scripts, Inc., for reimbursement. For more details, visit the TRICARE website.
  • The TRICARE home-delivery is not recommended for a prescription you need right away, but if you'll be away for a long time, you can arrange for any regular prescriptions to be filled via the mail-order pharmacy.

Your pharmacy coverage is limited overseas:

  • TRICARE network pharmacies are only located in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You can have prescriptions filled at host-nation pharmacies, if necessary. Host-nation pharmacies are treated the same as non-network pharmacies. If you have prescriptions filled at a host-nation pharmacy, you should expect to pay for the total amount up front and file a claim with Wisconsin Physicians Service for partial reimbursement. To learn more about pharmacy claims, visit the TRICARE website.
  • To use the mail-order pharmacy overseas, the prescription must be from a U.S. licensed provider and you must have an APO or FPO address.

If You Have Questions

Your regional contractors and TRICARE Area Offices are available to answer your questions. These offices are listed above. Find even more information about moving, updating DEERS, the TRICARE regions and much more at the TRICARE website.

Installation Specific Information

Fort Belvoir Community Hospital is a joint-service healthcare network providing world-class medical care to the nation's wounded, active-duty service members, retirees and family members. The hospital is designed to increase inpatient and outpatient care for service members and veterans in the National Capital Region. The hospital is located at:

9300 DeWitt Loop
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Information: (571) 231-FBCH (3224) TTY: (571) 231-1799
Appointments: (855) 227-6331

The Warrior Clinic, located in the hospital's Warrior Pavilion, Room NE147, provides primary care, consultative, and continuing care for enrolled Warriors. Services include adult medicine services and patient education.

The clinic provides primary care management to the Warrior in Transition by collaboration, coordination, and communication with all disciplines involved with the Warrior's care and well being using, the enhanced access to care model.

It's the clinic's vision to offer Warriors seamless synchronized primary care that ensures continuity of care in an environment fostering healing and timely disposition to duty or civilian life.

HOURS - Weekdays: 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. , Weekends and Federal Holidays: Closed, Training Holidays: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Reception Desk: (703) 805-9181 / 9182
Officer-In-Charge: (703) 805-1099
NCO-in-Charge: (703) 805-0960
Warrior & Family Quick Reference Guide (Interactive PDF for tablets and computers)
Warrior Family Coordination Center

Active-Duty Services at FBCH include:

Exceptional Family Member Program
Flight Medicine
Overseas Suitability Screening
Periodic Health Assessment
Physical Exams

Associated and co-located facilities:

The VA-Ft. Belvoir CBOC (Community Based Outpatient Clinic) is located on 9300 DeWitt Loop in the Sunrise Pavilion section of the Community Hospital. Co-locating the VA-Ft. Belvoir Clinic at the Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital is an example of VA/Department of Defense care-coordination which improves efficiencies and services to active duty military transitioning to VA care, career, retired military and all Veterans. The VA-Ft. Belvoir CBOC provides basic medical care, preventive care, and health education for eligible Veterans, including comprehensive women's health care.

The CBOC is open Mondays through Fridays 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Phone: 571-231-2408. Veterans with specific questions about care at the VA-Ft. Belvoir CBOC should contact the DCVAMC Patient Service Center at (202) 745-8577.

Fairfax Health Center is a family clinic of Fort Belvoir Community Hospital which serves the communities of Annandale, Centreville, Fairfax and Vienna, as well as parts of Burke and West Springfield. Patients must be registered with Fairfax Health Center prior to seeking care at the clinic. The clinic is located at 10580 Arrowhead Drive Fairfax, VA 22030. Hours are: Weekdays: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Saturday: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Sundays and Federal Holidays: Closed

Clinic Information: (571) 432-2600
Appointments: (571) 432-2700
Behavioral Health: (571) 432-2780
Pharmacy Refills: (800) 377-1723

Dumfries Health Center is a family clinic of Fort Belvoir Community Hospital which serves the communities of Dumfries, Woodbridge, Lake Ridge and other areas south of the Occoquan River, as well as the southern parts of Burke, Fairfax Station, Clifton and Springfield. Patients must be registered with Dumfries Health Center prior to seeking care at the clinic. The clinic is located at 3700 Fettler Park Drive, Dumfries, VA 22025. Hours are: Weekdays: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Saturday: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Sundays and Federal Holidays: Closed

Clinic Information: (703) 441-7500
Appointments: (703) 441-7600
Behavioral Health: (703) 441-7680
Pharmacy Refills: (800) 248-6337


Child and Youth Programs

General Information

The Department of Defense (DoD) and the Military Services take great pride in the variety and quality of services provided to children and youth on installations worldwide. While the services provided depend on the size of the location, the standards and quality of services are consistent and meet established regulations. The network has hundreds of locations worldwide serving over 1.3 million children.

Child Development Centers (CDC)

These facilities generally offer child care for children ages six weeks to 5 years old. Care is typically available weekdays. CDCs vary in size; the average CDC cares for about 200 children. All programs must be certified by the DoD and accredited by a national accrediting body such as the National Association for the Education of Young Children.

Family Child Care (FCC)

With FCC, children receive their care in the private home of a certified provider living in government-owned or leased housing or in state-licensed homes in the community. Family child care provides accommodating child care arrangements, including night, weekend, and flexible hourly care for shift work.

In-home childcare programs offer comparable care to a CDC. Providers must be certified by the DoD, and some seek additional accreditation from the National Association of Family Child Care (NAFCC). Regulations limit the number of children that may be cared for at one time: no more than six children under age eight, and no more than two children under two years old.

School-Age Care (SAC)

DoD SAC programs are offered for children, kindergarten through 12 years of age before and/or after school, during holidays, and summer vacations. Emphasis is placed on SAC programs which meet community needs, reinforce family values, and promote the cognitive, social, emotional, and physical development of children. SAC may be provided in DoD Youth Centers, Child Development Centers or other suitable facilities. To expand school-age care program spaces, DoD policy encourages use of youth centers; on-and off-base schools, and other suitable facilities such as community centers. Accreditation of DoD SAC programs is a requirement. Accreditation sets the professional standards for after school programs and helps families identify high-quality programs.

Waiting List

Due to a high demand for care, you may be placed on a wait list. Your position on the wait list depends on many factors that are at the discretion of the installation and may include your spouse's military status, the date you apply, deployment and your employment. If these factors change while you are on the wait list, your position will be changed accordingly, so it is important that you keep your information up-to-date.

Childcare is not an entitlement, and fees are income-based. Fees throughout the child development system of care fall into fee ranges set by DoD.

To apply for child care, fill out DD Form 2606, the Department of Defense Child Development Program Request for Care Record and return the paperwork to Parent Central Services at your installation.

The Department of Defense has a long history of providing positive youth programs that focus on alternative activities for youth during out-of-school hours. Today, DoD continues to be committed to youth by providing consistent guidance and stable and dynamic programs in more than 350 youth programs worldwide. DoD promotes positive youth development by designing programs to recognize the achievements of youth and by developing partnerships with other youth-serving organizations like the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and 4-H that offer a variety of resources. Programs for teens and pre-teens vary from one base to another, but are governed by a consistent DoD instruction. Programs prepare young people to meet the challenges of adolescence and adulthood through a coordinated, progressive series of activities and experiences that help them become socially, emotionally, physically and cognitively competent. Programs usually include physical fitness and sports, arts and recreation, training in leadership, life skills and career/volunteer opportunities, mentoring, intervention and support services.


Child Care

Child Care

The Fort Belvoir Child and Youth Services, (CYS), which received the DoD Certification, provides quality developmental programs for children and youth. Its goal is to assist children and youth to develop socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically. CYS ensures that your child is in an environment which will relieve the parent of any worries while separated. All programs strive to offer the best possible care for every child. Children ages 4 weeks to 18 years are eligible for CYS services.

Fort Belvoir has four facilities including two Child Development Centers, School Age Services and Youth Services. CYS offers full-day, part-day and hourly services. Fort Belvoir has a Family Child Care (FCC) Program with approximately 40 to 50 FCC providers on post and off post. CYS also provides special needs programs, school age and middle school programs, as well as recreation, organized sports, camps, and Boys' and Girls' club programs.


Eligibility for programs are active duty military personnel, DoD civilian personnel, reservists on active duty for 72 hours, DoD contractors working on Fort Belvoir, and retired military. 

Priority Care

There is a policy for priority for care on Fort Belvoir. For more information please contact Fort Belvoir’s Central Registration Office 703-805-9114, 703-805-9116, 703-805-9118 or DSN 312-655-9114, 312-655-9116, 312-655-9118.


Registration for all programs with CYS is required. There may also be waiting lists for services based on availability. Contact CYS Central Registration at 703-805-9114, DSN 312-655-9116 or 312-655-9114 for more information.

Child Development Centers (CDC)

Centers on Installation 

There are 2 child development centers located on Fort Belvoir; North Post Child Development Center (NPCDC) and South Post Child Development Center (SPCDC). Both centers are fully accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.

North Post CDC

North Post CDC is located in Building 1745 and can be reached by calling 703-806-6540, DSN 312-656-6540. Programs available include full-day care for children 6 weeks through 5 years, a part-day Preschool Program and kindergarten. The part-day preschool operates 3 or 5 days per week from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. There is no part-day Preschool on school out days. These programs provide fun, stimulating, developmental Kindergarten readiness activities.

South Post CDC

South Post CDC is located in Building 1028 and can be reached at 703-806-4347, DSN 312-656-4347. Programs available include full-day care for children 6 weeks to 5 years and an hourly program. Hourly Care is designed for parents who need child care on an intermittent basis. Hours for hourly care are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except Wednesdays hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p. m. To make reservations call the center at 703-806-4347, DSN 312-656-4347. Reservations can be made up to one month in advance. Fees are $4/hour and are due when the child is picked up. An hourly rate of $2.50 per hour is available for CAT I families.

Hours of Operation

Both North Post and South Post CDCs are open Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.


Fees for full- and part-day programs are determined by the DoD fee policy and are based on total family income.

Family Child Care (FCC)

Family Child Care (FCC) providers offer child care children ages 4 weeks to 12 years in their government quarters on Fort Belvoir, as well as off post homes. FCC offers full-day, hourly, and before and after school services. FCC trains, certifies and monitors family members who provide child care in government quarters. FCC homes provide the same care programs as the Child Development Centers (CDCs) plus have some additional benefits. Homelike atmospheres, opportunities for siblings to be in care together, and more flexible hours than the CDCs are hall marks of FCC benefits. Some providers offer evening, night, and extended care options for parents with non traditional work schedules.

School Age Services (SAS)

The School Age Services program has been accredited by National School Age Child Care Association (NSACA). The Markham SAS building has been recently renovated and has a state of the art computer lab, a wonderful library/homework area, awesome activity areas and a fantastic playground.

The program follows the bell schedule of Fort Belvoir Elementary School. Children are walked to the school, departing the center at 8:45 a.m. and return to the school at 3:45 p.m. Full day care is offered during school-out days. This program provides activities which supplement the Fairfax County Public School curriculum.

Respite Care

Respite Care is available on Fort Belvoir at Army Community Service. For more information please call 703-805-5435 or DSN 312-655-5435.


Youth Services

Youth Services

Youth Services offers comprehensive programs that promote and foster social interaction, personal growth and provides children opportunities to develop educational and recreational skills. Youth Programs provide age-appropriate activities and support services that are balanced across four service areas: sports, fitness and health options; life skills, citizenship and leadership opportunities; arts, recreation and leisure; mentoring and interventions services.

For more information regarding fees, schedule of programs or enrollment procedures, please contact Youth Services at 703-805-4515, 703-805-4514 or DSN 312-655-4515, 312-655-4514.


Youth, 6-19 years of age, are eligible to participate. Participants must be family members of active duty or retirees, reservists, National Guard and DoD Civilians stationed at Fort Belvoir.

Youth Centers

Fort Belvoir Youth Services offers a middle school as well as a teen program for youth grades seven through twelve after school until 6:00 p.m Monday through Friday in Building 1003. Youth Services hours are Monday through Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Friday 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturday, 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Youth Services is located in Building 1003, 5850 Langfitt Loop.

Youth Recreation and Sports

The Child and Youth Services (CYS) Sports and Fitness program offers various opportunities for children to participate in sports. The program is expanding to provide support for children ages 3 to 18 years to encourage healthy, life long habits.

Team sports such as football and baseball are only available with the participation of volunteer coaches and assistants. All coaches are trained and certified by the National Youth Sports Coaches Association (NYSCA). Players must be registered with Child and Youth Services in order to enroll in a sport.

Youth Sponsorship Program

Fort Belvoir Youth Services offers a Youth Sponsorship program, which helps incoming and outgoing youth adjust to a new installation. An incoming youth is provided another youth of similar age and interest to sponsor his/her arrival. The sponsor will assist with questions or concerns about Fort Belvoir. The youths correspond in order to find out exactly what to expect upon their arrival in Virginia. To request information, or a youth sponsor, call 703-805-4606 or DSN 312-655-4606.

Youth Social Programs  

In addition to the after school program, open recreation, teen and youth dances, and volunteer opportunities are available.

Youth Religious Programs

The Fort Belvoir Chapel has various youth activities depending on the religious preference. For more information contact The Belvoir Chapel 703-806-4316, DSN 312-656-4316, or log onto the Fort Belvoir website, click on “services” and then “chapels”.

Boys and Girls Club Programs

Boys and girls club programs are available to Fort Belvoir youth through CYS.

Youth Employment Programs

Teen Employment Workshops are held twice a year at Army Community Service, 9800 Belvoir Rd, Bldg 200.  For more information please contact Employment Readiness, at 703-805-3126 or DSN 312-655-3126.  


New Parent Support Program

General Program Description

The Army New Parent Support Program (NPSP) provides intensive home visiting services to eligible Families with children prenatal to 3 years old whether they live on or off the installation.  Activities and services provided include information and referral to military and civilian programs that support parents of infants and young children, such as parenting programs, respite care for children, and supervised play time for children.  All activities and services provided through NPSP are voluntary and non-stigmatizing and emphasize the parents' strengths.

Goals of the Army NPSP are:

  1. Contribute to mission readiness.
  2. Support Family member adaptation to military life.
  3. Enhance the knowledge and skills Family members need to form healthy relationships and provide safe, nurturing environments for children to prevent Family violence.
  4. Foster a supportive military community for young military Families.

Staff Qualifications

NPSP Home Visitor staff consists of Licensed Clinical Social Workers and Registered Nurses.  All personnel will possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for their professional certification/licensure and positions.  Local installation or State background checks, including Army Central Registry checks, will be completed on all personnel who provide services to parents and their children and will be updated annually.

Eligibility Requirements

Families may be self-referred or referred by other agencies such as health care providers, chaplains, social service staff, command, or Family Advocacy Program (FAP) staff.

How to Enroll

Interested families may contact the local Army Community Service (ACS) office, or their health care provider, for further information in the New Parent Support Program.

Installation Specific Information

New Parent Support Program is a professional team of nurses and social worker who provide support and education to parents. Education can encompass but not limited to the following: parenthood preparation; childhood development; infant massage; relationship skills; parenting skills; fatherhood training; stress management; how to build a support system; and transitional adjustment to military life at Fort Belvoir. New Parent Support is a voluntary program offered to military families expecting a child, or with a child zero to three years of age. All services are free. Services are offered through two primary venues, which are instructional classes and home visitation.


Family Center

Programs and services

As a gateway to the resources you need, the Military and Family Support Center provides information, support and services to help you balance the demands of military life. The Military and Family Support Center is one part of the overall Family Readiness System, which is the network of agencies, programs, services, partnerships and individuals that supports your personal and family life readiness, mobilization and deployment readiness, and mobility and economic readiness. It should be one of your first stops once you arrive at a new installation. The programs and services are a key resource for you and your family. They include:

  • Deployment support assists you and your family during all phases of the deployment cycle, providing workshops and services to help meet the challenges of deployment, as well as information and referral to deployment-related resources. Services include education briefings for deploying members and families, support services, morale calls and service-specific programs.
  • Relocation assistance provides an array services to meet your moving needs. Relocation services include, but are not limited to, relocation workshops that help you prepare for a move, information on installations and communities worldwide and, where offered, a loan closet for basic household items. Relocation assistance also includes assistance with in-transit emergencies. Military and Family Support Centers work with other installation agencies to keep relocation information current, timely and relevant to allow you to make informed decisions and ensure you experience a smooth and successful move.
  • Personal financial management provides information, education and one-on-one financial counseling to assist you and your family in maintaining your financial readiness. Services are designed to address money management issues throughout your active-duty lifecycle and into retirement. Financial readiness educational opportunities range from basic planning to long-term investing.
  • Employment assistance offers comprehensive information, tools and resources to support career exploration, training and licensing, and employment readiness. Military and Family Support Centers may offer career counseling, local labor market information, trend tracking, skills and interests identification, job bank referrals and resources for self-employment.
  • Family life education provides information and education to assist you and your family in developing resilience skills that can help as you navigate your mobile military lives.
  • Information and Referral can assist you in identifying and clarifying needs to determine appropriate forms of assistance and in locating services and programs available both on and off your installation.
  • The Transition Assistance Program prepares separating, retiring and demobilizing service members (and their families) with the information, skills and knowledge necessary for a successful transition from military to civilian life. The first step in your transition process is to complete the congressionally mandated pre-separation counseling session, which furnishes detailed information on the various benefits and services available.

Military and Family Support Centers may provide other services, such as counseling and family advocacy. Services vary by location.


Employment - Overview

Employment Options

Job Hunting in National Capital Region

The job market in the National Capital Region is very competitive. Income and education levels are high. With its wide range of businesses, the area offers a multitude of employment possibilities to new residents. Individuals with experience or training in such diverse fields as space science, engineering, accounting, law, medicine, retail, service industries, or non-profit associations will find themselves at home here. There is a high turnover of clerical and office support personnel and food service workers.

Unemployment Rate

The unemployment rate for DC/MD/VA reflects the economic climate and is hovering around 5.9%.

Federal Civilian Employment for Spouses

If you are the spouse of any active duty military (including Coast Guard) and relocating to his/her new duty station, you are entitled to spouse employment preference as long as you are among the best qualified for the position. You must have entered into marriage with the military sponsor prior to his/her reporting date to the new duty station and be on Leave Without Pay (LWOP) from the federal government. Spouse preference begins 30 days prior to the reporting date and continues throughout the tour until the spouse accepts or declines such a position. Information regarding spouse preference and employment opportunities for spouses is provided in the weekly ERP orientation/job search registration.

ACS Employment Readiness Program

The ACS Employment Readiness Program (ERP) is very proactive at Fort Belvoir. The program has a wide range of offerings to include: a job bank that includes over 700 local companies, direct resume referral to potential employers, individual career counseling, certificate-based courses (i.e. Medical Office Assistant, Administrative Assistant, Computer Training, and Medical Terminology), job search skills training and career testing. The ERP also offers a resource room with computers, High Speed Internet connection, a fax machine and copier where applicants can work on their resumes and job search. The ERP also holds a weekly orientation/job search registration every Tuesday at 12:45.

Employment Documentation

For job hunting purposes, be sure to hand carry:  school transcripts, updated resume or federal application, professional certificates, awards or honors, and letter(s) of recommendation/appreciation.

Tuition Assistance


For information on MyCAA and Military Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, visit Military OneSource.


Relocation Assistance

Programs and Services

While moving is always stressful, your stress can be drastically reduced if you take full advantage of the information, education, and personal assistance provided to you by the Relocation Program. This is the place to find answers and get referral to other installation resources as well as assistance with in-transit emergencies. The most important thing you can do to ensure a smooth move is to start planning early using the many Relocation Assistance program services and tools available.

Individual PCS Planning -- Most relocation programs offer one-on-one consultation for anyone needing assistance. In particular those making their first military move, first overseas move, or those with challenging and complex situations such as special needs family members or financial problems should call the Relocation Program for an appointment.

Military Installations and Plan My Move --For managing and planning your move, use these two DoD sponsored web-based relocation tools with information on over 250 installations worldwide. You can estimate expenses, find the forms necessary for housing and household goods, keep a calendar of events and take other necessary actions to ensure a successful move.

Loan Closet -- Basic household goods items are available to borrow while waiting for your personal property pre-departure or upon arrival. The typical items in stock include: pots and pans, dishes, silverware, irons, ironing boards, portacribs, high chairs, and infant/toddler car seats. Generally, towels and bed linens are not available, so these should be packed in your hold baggage.

Workshops and Briefings -- The classes offered vary from installation to installation but you can generally find classes on buying, selling and renting smart, budgeting and finance, moving with children, general moving preparation and many other moving related topics.

Pre-departure Briefings -- Sometimes called Smooth Move or PCS Briefings, you and your spouse will want to attend for sure. These briefings provide essential information that can prevent you from making uninformed and costly decisions before your move.

Settling-in Services --These may include welcome wagon services, local area tours with childcare often provided, or basic household items to use until your goods arrive. Overseas arrival services may include introductory language classes and cultural awareness training.

Deployment Support --The Family Center assists unit family readiness groups and Ombudsman programs during the entire deployment cycle. Support includes services for special needs, classes on deployment preparation, managing finances, helping children adjust, family separation, return and reunion, and information on resources available locally and on-line.

Foreign Born Spouse Support -- Whether your question concerns immigration and naturalization, learning the English language or how to take local transportation, the Relocation Program provides assistance, classes and referrals.

Emergency Assistance -- From time-to-time emergencies occur while moving, the Relocation Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.

Transition Assistance -- This is a mandatory program available to assist personnel and family members when they separate from the military. The Relocation Assistance office will establish your individual transition plan and refer you to all the installation and community resources necessary to complete a successful transition.

Installation Specific Information

The Fort Belvoir Relocation Program offers the following relocation programs and services to assist soldiers and families with a move.

A Lending Closet which loans basic household goods for up to 14 days at a time. The inventory includes pots and pans, tables and chairs, dishes, irons, ironing boards, Sleep Mats, car seats, cribs, etc. Please note that bed linens, blankets, pillows, or towels are not available. The lending closet is located in ACS, Building 200, 9800 Belvoir Road (18th and Belvoir Rd), Fort Belvoir, VA 22060 and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Welcome Packets which provide information on post and the surrounding area. Condensed welcome packets are mailed to personnel PCS'ing to Fort Belvoir. However, once you arrive, be sure to stop by ACS to pick up a full welcome packet.

MilitaryINSTALLATIONS is the official Department of Defense (DoD) web site for reliable Quality of Life information designed to help troops and their families, leaders and service providers. Tools and custom plans to put you in control of a smooth move can be found here at Plan My Move. If you are unable to access that website due to security reasons, you may contact your local ACS center or the Fort Belvoir ACS and we would be happy to download the packet and mail it to you.

The Relocation Readiness Program also offers the following classes and services:

  • Sponsorship Training
  • Overseas Orientations
  • Waiting Spouses Support Groups
  • Pre and Post move counseling

For more information or assistance, please contact the Fort Belvoir Relocation Office at (703) 805-5058 or DSN 655-5058 or e-mail requests at

Newcomers Information

The Fort Belvoir Newcomers' Briefing is held every first Tuesday after the 10th of each month for all new incoming military and civilian personnel assigned or living on post. For time and location please contact the ACS Relocation Program at 703-805-5058.

This is a valuable opportunity for all new soldier and their family members to meet the Garrison Commander and key staff members to receive information about the post.

A video is shown to explain the mission and show the different organizations and services. Tabletop displays are set up with lots of handouts and resource materials and light refreshments are available.

If you have arrived on Fort Belvoir within the last 60 days and have not attended the newcomers briefing, please plan to attend and find out what you may have been missing.

Need A Sponsor?

U.S. Army Garrison Headquarters Battalion, (703) 806-5748/5659 or DSN 656-5748/5659.

Military personnel in-processing to units other than the garrison Headquarters Battalion should contact their units directly prior to arrival on post. Individuals who are not sure of the correct contact information may contact the garrison Military Personnel Division for assistance at 703- 805-5583, or Bldg 213, 5815 20th Street, Fort Belvoir.


Loan Closet

Items Available

Fort Belvoir ACS has a loan closet that offers an extensive inventory of household items. Items available for loan include:

  • dishes
  • silverware
  • pots and pans
  • ironing boards
  • baby items
  • futons/sleep mats
  • card tables and folding chairs
  • small appliances

Child car seats and portable cribs are available to help make your transition in and out of the area smoother. Bed linens, blankets, pillows, and towels are not provided so plan to bring or mail/ship these items to save unnecessary expenses.

How to Borrow

The Lending Closet loans items on a first-come, first-serve basis. Prior to borrowing items, military personnel and government civilian employees must provide a military ID and a copy of their orders.  Items may be borrowed for two weeks at a time. Requests for extensions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Call the Fort Belvoir Relocation Readiness Program at 703-805-5058, 703-805-3436 or DSN 312-655-5058, 312-655-3436 before the due date if an extension is required. Operating hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).

There is also a Thrift Shop on Fort Belvoir which is located at 10002 Caples Road. It is open Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, first and third Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. for consignments and from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for sales. Our Thrift Shop is newly renovated, clean, well stocked and staffed with friendly folks who are here to help. If you are military, you can open a consignment account to sell your unwanted items.


Financial Assistance

Financial Readiness Program

The Fort Belvoir Financial Readiness Program (FRP) provides financial management classes, briefings, and one on one counseling to those experiencing money management difficulties or for those who wish to be in control of their finances. Classes cover such topics as budgeting, getting out of debt, and investing for your future. For more information, call 703-805-1833 or 703-805-4590.

Cost of Living

Even though the cost of living in the Washington DC metropolitan area is extremely high, COLA is not paid to personnel assigned here. Rental costs in the area range from $840 per month for an efficiency apartment to $3,000 per month for a four bedroom house. Utility costs can range from $100 to $400/month. Costs for temporary, month-to-month rental properties, are approximately $2,000-$3,000/month.

Insurance Requirements

To purchase license plates or decals, you must certify that the vehicle is covered by the minimum insurance requirements or pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee. Insurance requirements also apply to antique motor vehicles. Your insurance carrier must be authorized to conduct business in Virginia. Virginia requires the following minimum coverage:

  • Bodily injury/death of one person $25,000
  • Bodily injury/death of two or more persons $50,000 
  • Property damage $20,000

The $500 Uninsured Motor Vehicle (UMV) fee, which is paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), does not provide any insurance; it only allows you to drive an uninsured vehicle at your own risk. It expires with your registration and must be paid at renewal.

Emergency Assistance

Intransit Emergencies

Army Emergency Relief (AER) is available for to Active Duty military, retirees, National Guard/ Reserves on active duty for more than 30 days, and their family members for authorized financial emergencies. Personnel who encounter an emergency during their PCS move may contact the Armed Forces Emergency Service Center (Red Cross) for guidance and assistance at 1-877-272-7337.

The nearest Salvation Army Family Store is located at 13287 Gordon Blvd. Woodbridge, Virginia, Telephone 703-490-2396.

TRICARE defines emergency care as medical services provided for a sudden or unexpected medical or psychiatric condition, or the sudden worsening of a chronic (ongoing) condition that is threatening to life, limb, or sight and needs immediate medical treatment, or which has painful symptoms that need immediate relief to stop suffering.  If you are traveling near a military treatment facility (MTF), you should go to the MTF or military dental treatment facility for emergency services. If you are hospitalized in a civilian facility for more than 24 hours, contact your regional contractor.

Advanced Pay

Be aware that, if you draw Advanced Pay when relocating, repayments of advanced pay will be automatically withdrawn from your monthly pay and can reduce monthly income, in some cases, drastically.


Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance

Important Contact Numbers

Make sure you have important phone numbers such as your Command Duty Office and your sponsor. Your sponsor can be invaluable in case of an emergency while in transit.

Army Emergency Relief (AER)

Army Emergency Relief (AER) can provide emergency financial assistance to eligible Soldiers and their dependents for food, rent, utilities, emergency transportation, vehicle repair, medical/dental expenses, and essential personal items if pay is delayed or stolen. Assistance is given in the form of an interest free loan, grant, or part loan and part grant. To receive AER assistance, personnel having a valid emergency need must process the AER application through their unit commander prior to contacting the AER office at Army Community Service for an appointment. AER is located in Building 200, telephone 703-805-3130.

American Red Cross

The Fort Belvoir Red Cross is located in Building 1161. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Red Cross is open to anyone and offers counseling and help with personal, financial and family problems. For more information, contact 703-805-2222.

Salvation Army   

Whether it is shelter for a displaced family or a warm cup of coffee for our bravest and finest—hope and healing is the message of The Salvation Army. Since 1886, The Salvation Army has been providing social and spiritual services to communities throughout the world. People given purpose, hearts given hope and souls finding redemption—this has been our mission for more than a century. Contact the Salvation Army in Alexandria, Virginia, at 703-299-8314, 703-836-2427 or visit the Salvation Army website.

Information and Referral Services

The Army Community Service Information & Referral Program is located in Building 200; 703-805-4590, 1-866-786-8664 or DSN 312-655-4590. Information & Referral provides an extensive resource listing for a variety of agencies in the military and civilian community. This program links Soldiers and families with available and appropriate resources to meet their needs.


Legal Assistance

Legal Assistance

The Legal Assistance office is located at 9990 Belvoir Drive, Building 257, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060 Telephone: (703) 805-2856 FAX: (703) 805-3263 DSN: 655-xxxx.

We serve Active duty service members, retirees and their dependents, as well as Reservists and civilians preparing for deployments.

Services provided include:

Wills and Estate Planning: Estate planning usually requires an appointment, please visit the legal assistance website for further instructions on Wills and Estate Planning.

Family Law Matters: Our attorneys provide comprehensive legal support to our clients in separation and divorce cases. Such representation includes the preparation of separation agreements as well as the court documents necessary to file for and obtain an uncontested divorce in Virginia.  We also assist with step-parent adoptions and provide advice on matters adjudicated before the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Other Cases: We also provide support in landlord-tenant matters, SCRA cases, immigration and naturalization, military administrative and other types of cases.

Tax Center: Open from early February until 1 May and offers electronic preparation and filing of state and federal income taxes.  We will not prepare returns which include any of the following:

- More than one rental property income; or
- More than 10 stock or mutual fund sales; or
- Self-employment income (except income from home child care)


Deployment Support

Deployment Support

Deployed Support Group

Fort Belvoir ACS has information and resources for families facing a deployment. The ACS Relocation Readiness Program Manager facilitates a deployed support group that meets monthly. The purpose of the group is to provide information, support, and assistance to family members who are separated from their sponsor due to mission requirements. (deployment, geographically separated, unaccompanied tour, or extended TDY). The group meets every third Thursday of the month at ACS from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Free child care and dinner are provided. For more information, contact the Relocation Readiness Program Manager at 703-805-3436/5058.

Pre-Deployment Briefs

Pre-Deployment briefs to prepare Soldiers and Families who face deployment are scheduled the 2nd Monday of each month in ACS from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. or by individual appointments. Unit Deployment classes can also be arranged. Reunion and Reintegration Workshops are scheduled on the 3rd Monday, 9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. to prepare Family for Reunion and then becoming a Family again.

Children of Deployed

Children of Deployed receive free activities, sports and childcare through the CYSS. They also receive free backpacks from Operation Military Kid and the opportunity to attend summer and winter camps.

Please see the Mob/D office for numerous resources for children.


Contact Information

DSN Dialing Instructions: When dialing a DSN number from U.S. installation to U.S. installation, it is unnecessary to dial the 312 area code. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included.

9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5561
Phone 1-866-786-8664 / 703-805-4590
Phone (DSN) 312-655-4590
Fax 703-805-4143
Fax (DSN) 312-655-4143
Email | Website | Map
Adult Education Centers
Barden Education Center
9625 Belvoir Road
Building 1017
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-9264 / 703-805-9267 / 703-805-9268
Phone (DSN) 312-655-9267
Fax 703-805-9246
Fax (DSN) 312-655-9246
Beneficiary Counseling Assistance Coordinators
Dewitt Army Community Hospital - BCAC
9501 Farrell Road
Suite GC 11
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5901
Phone 703-805-8371 / 703-805-0644
Phone (DSN) 312-655-8371
Fax 703-805-0763
Email | Website | Map
Fort Belvoir Chapel
5950 12th Street
Building 1018
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-4316/4317 / 703-805-2742
Phone (DSN) 312-656-4316/4317
Fax 703-805-3342
Child Development Centers
Fort Belvoir Child, Youth and School Services - South Post CDC
5952 12th Street
Building 1028
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-4347
Phone (DSN) 312-655-4347
Fax 703-806-3926
Fax (DSN) 312-655-3926
Website | Map
Child Development Centers
Fort Belvoir Child, Youth and School Services - North Post CDC
5925 Meeres Road
Building 1745
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-6540
Phone (DSN) 312-655-6540
Fax 703-806-5091
Fax (DSN) 312-655-5091
Website | Map
Child and Youth Registration and Referral
Child, Youth and School Services (CYSS)/Family Child Care (FCC) Registration
9500 Barlow Rd.
Building 950
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-9116 / 703-805-9114
Phone (DSN) 312-655-9116/4
Fax None Available
Email | Website | Map
Civilian Personnel Office
Civilian Personnel Advisory Center
5800 Putnam Road
Building 320
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5821
Phone 703-704-3009
Phone (DSN) 312-654-3009
Website | Map
Fort Belvoir Commissary
6020 Gorgas Road
Building 2302
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-6674 / 703-781-0536
Phone (DSN) 312-656-6674/6377
Fax 703 806-6373/6266
Website | Map
EFMP - Enrollment
DeWitt Army Community Hospital Information Desk - EFMP Enrollment
9501 Farrell Road
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-0510
Fax 703-805-9024
EFMP - Family Support
EFMP Family Support
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-1835 / TTY 703-805-1519
Phone (DSN) 312-655-5435
Fax 703-805-3276
Mon - Fri 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Closed the first Wed of the month from 12:00 pm – 4:30 pm.
Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Special appointments available on request
Walk-ins are welcome, but priority is given to appointments.
We highly encourage calling first to ensure that
staff is available to serve you.
Mon 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Tues, Thur, Fri 10:30 am - 3:00 pm
Wed 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Email | Website | Map
Emergency Relief Services
Army Emergency Relief (AER)
9800 Belvoir Road
Bldg 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-3130
Phone (DSN) 703-805-3130
Fax 703-805-3699
Emergency Relief Services
Red Cross
9716 Middleton Rd.
Bldg 1161
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2057 / 703-805-2059
Phone (DSN) 703-805-2455
Fax 703-805-2455
Fax (DSN) 312-655-2455
Website | Map
Army Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES)
6050 Gorgas Road
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-5800 / 703-806-4374
Phone (DSN) 312-656-5800/4374
Website | Map
Family Advocacy Program
Army Community Service Family Advocacy Program (FAP)
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2693 / 703-805-4590
Phone (DSN) 312-655-3980
Fax 703-805-2366
Fax (DSN) 312-805-2366
Website | Map
Family Center
Army Community Service
9655 Belvoir Road
Bldg. 1001
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 1-866-786-8664 / 703-805-4590
Phone (DSN) 312-655-4590
Fax 703-805-4143
Fax (DSN) 312-655-4143
Website | Website | Map
Finance Office
Finance Office
9875 Michie Place
Building 219
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2501 / 703-805-2598
Phone (DSN) 312-655-2501
Fax 703-805-3176/ 703-805-3139
Fax (DSN) 312-655-3176
Financial Institutions
Belvoir Credit Union
Fort Belvoir Branch
5982 13th Street
Building 1195
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-730-1800
Fax 703-781-3647
Website | Map
Financial Institutions
Sun Trust Bank
Fort Belvoir Branch
P.O. Box 179, CS-6008
Alexandria, VA 22313
Phone 703-781-4706
Website | Map
Financial Institutions
Belvoir Credit Union
Andrew McNamera Complex Branch Office
(DLA Headquarters)
8725 John J. Kingman Road
Room 1401
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-730-1800
Fax 703-781-3647
Website | Map
Golf Courses
Golf Course (North Post)
8450 Beulah Street
Building 2920
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-6016 / 703-806-5878
Hospitals/Medical Treatment Facility(s)
DeWitt Army Community Hospital Information Desk
9501 Farrell Road
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-0510
Fax 703-805-9024
Household Goods/Transportation Office (inbound)
Joint Personal Property Shipping Office
9325 Gunston Road, Suite N110
Building 1466
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-4900 / 1-800-762-7186 / 703-806-0968
Fax 703-806-0144
Website | Map
Household Goods/Transportation Office (outbound)
Joint Personal Property Shipping Office
9325 Gunston Road, Suite N110
Building 1466
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-4900 / 1-800-762-7186 / 703-806-0968
Fax 703-806-0144
Website | Map
Housing Referral Office/Housing Privatization
The Villages at Belvoir
5994 12th Street
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-454-9700 / 1-888-886-4394
Fax 703-454-9701
Website | Map
Housing Referral Office/Housing Privatization
Housing/Family Housing
5994 12th Street
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-619-3877 / 1-888-740-9851
Fax 703-619-3878
Website | Map
Information and Referral Services
Army Community Service Information and Referral Program
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-4590 / 1-866-786-8664
Phone (DSN) 312-655-4590
Fax 703-805-4143
Fax (DSN) 312-655-4143
Website | Website | Map
Legal Services/JAG
Staff Judge Advocate
9990 Belvoir Drive
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2856
Phone (DSN) 312-655-2856
Fax 703-805-3263
Fax (DSN) 312-655-3263
Website | Map
Van Noy Library
5966 12th Street
Bldg. 1024
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-806-3323
Loan Closet
Relocation Readiness Program (RRP)
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-5058 / 703-805-3436 / 703-805-4590
Phone (DSN) 312-655-5058/3436/4590
Fax 703-805-4543
Fax (DSN) 312-655-4543
Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed at noon the first Wed of the month.
Sat and Sun -closed
Holidays - closed
Loan Closet Hours:
Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed at noon the first Wed of the month.
Email | Website | Website | Map
MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation)
Community Center
1200 Taylor Road
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-3714 / 703-805-3715
Phone (DSN) 312-655-3714
Fax 703-805-5470
Fax (DSN) 703-805-5470
Website | Map
Military Clothing Sales
Military Clothing Sales
Bldg. 1188
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2574
Mon, Wed, Fri 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tue and Thur 9:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sun - closed
Website | Map
New Parent Support Program
Army Community Service New Parent Support Program (NPSP)
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-4547 / 703-805-2781
Phone (DSN) 312-655-4547/2781
Fax 703-805-2366
Email | Website | Map
Non-appropriated Funds (NAF) Human Resources
Fort Belvoir Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) Personnel Office
5820 21st Street
Building 210
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-704-4872 (NAF) / 703-704-3009 (AF)
Phone (DSN) 312-654-4872
Fax 703-704-3065
Fax (DSN) 312-654-3065
Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sat and Sun - closed
Holidays - closed
Website | Map
Personal Financial Management Services
Army Community Service Financial Readiness Program (FRP)
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2606 / 703-805-3130
Phone (DSN) 312-655-2606/3130
Fax 703-805-4143
Fax (DSN) 312-655-4143
Email | Website | Map
Personnel Support Office
Directorate of Human Resources/Military Personnel
5815 20th St.
Bldg 213
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-3341 / 703-805-1089 / 703-805-1088
Relocation Assistance Program
Relocation Readiness Program (RRP)
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-5058 / 703-805-3436 / 703-805-4590
Phone (DSN) 312-655-5058/3436/4590
Fax 703-805-4543
Fax (DSN) 312-655-4543
Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed at noon the first Wed of the month.
Sat and Sun -closed
Holidays - closed
Loan Closet Hours:
Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed at noon the first Wed of the month.
Email | Website | Website | Map
Restaurants/Fast Food
The Fort Belvoir Community Club
Taylor Road
Bldg. 1200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-780-0962
Fax 703-781-0445
Retirement Services
Retirement Services Office
5815 20th Street
Building 213 Room 120
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2675
Phone (DSN) 312-655-2675
Fax 703-805-1060
School Age Care
School Age Services (SAS)
9500 Barlow Rd.
Bldg 950
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-9100
Phone (DSN) 312-655-9100
Fax 703-805-5373
Email | Website | Map
School Liaison Office/Community Schools
Fort Belvoir School Liaison Office
9500 Barlow Road
Building 950
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-9119
Fax 703-805-5373
Website | Website | Map
Spouse Education, Training and Careers
Army Community Service Employment Readiness Program
9800 Belvoir Road
Building 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-2605 / 703-805-4590
Phone (DSN) 312-655-2605
Fax 703-805-4143
Temporary Lodging/Billeting
Fort Belvoir Lodging
9775 Gaillard Rd
Building 470
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-704-8600
Phone (DSN) 312-654-8600
Email | Website | Map
Transition Assistance Program
Army Career Alumni Program (ACAP)
9625 Belvoir Road
Bldg. 1017
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-9247 / 703-805-9263 / 703-805-9272
Fax 703-805-9248
Email | Map
Veterinary Services
Fort Belvoir Veterinary Service
10015 Theote Road
Building 610
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-4336
Website | Map
Victim Advocate Services
Sexual Assault Response Coordinator (SARC)
9800 Belvoir Road
Bldg. 200
Fort Belvoir Family Advocacy Program
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5561
Phone 703-805-1832/2561
Phone (DSN) 312-655-1832/2561
Email | Map
Youth Programs/Centers
Youth Services Center
5850 Langfitt Loop
Bldg 1003
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone 703-805-4515 / 703-805-4514
Phone (DSN) 312-655-4515
Fax 703-805-5373
Website | Map


Major Units

12th Aviation Battalion
Contact Information:
COM: 703-806-7304/7048
DSN: 312-656-7304/7048
249th Engineer Battalion (Prime Power)
Contact Information:
COM: 703-805-2661
DSN: 312-655-2661
Headquarters Battalion Fort Belvoir
Contact Information:
COM: 703-806-5650/5331
DSN: 312-656-5650/5331
Military Police Company
Contact Information:
COM: 703-806-0624/3075
DSN: 312-656-0624/3075
MDW Engineer Company
Contact Information:
COM: 703-806-3751
DSN: 312-656-3751
FAX: 703-806-6120
DeWitt Health Care System
Contact Information:
COM: 703-805-0510
DSN: 312-655-0510
Intelligence and Security Command
Contact Information:
COM: 703-706-1207
DSN: 312-209-1207
Army Management Staff College
Contact Information:
COM: 703-805-4713/4765
DSN: 312-655-4713/4765
FAX: 703-805-4675
Criminal Investigation Command
Contact Information:
COM: 703-806-0184/0414
DSN: 312-656-0184/0414
FAX: 703-806-3456
Defense Logistics Agency
Contact Information:
COM: 703-767-6200/5031
DSN: 312-427-6200/5031
Joint Personal Property Shipping Office, Washington Area
Contact Information:
COM: 703-806-4900
DSN: 312-656-4900
Toll-Free: 1-800-762-7186