printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Financial Assistance

Plan a PCS Budget

How well planned ahead you are can make the difference between a successful or stressful move. Relocating can cost you money. How much will depend upon your planning and research. Before you move, find out and understand all of your authorized government entitlements for moving. The Airman and Family Readiness Center is the POC for relocation assistance information.

Financial guidance is offered to those experiencing money management difficulties or for those who wish to be in control of their finances. The Personal Financial Management Program at the Airman and Family Readiness Center can work with you to prepare a personalized budget and spending plan. Information and assistance are also available in areas such as military pay and allowances, consumer fraud, savings, investments, insurance, car buying, home buying, credit card management, and much more!

Advance Pay

Advance pay is authorized to help defray costs associated with a PCS move. The maximum amount that you can request is three times your base pay, minus taxes. You can request advance pay prior to your departure or after your arrival at your new duty station, or at both locations. It is important to remember that advance pay is intended to help with costs associated with your PCS move, and any request should be limited to those costs. Although advance pay amounts to an interest free loan, care should be taken to prevent increasing debt levels that ultimately create budgetary problems.

Advance BAH

Advance BAH is also authorized to help with costs moving into an apartment or home. You may request up to three months of your BAH entitlement to pay for utility deposits, security deposits, rent, etc. Repayment of advance pay and advance BAH is usually done over a twelve month period. An extension of the repay can be authorized by your commander, if warranted.

Government Credit Card

You may also use your government issued credit card for authorized PCS expenses. You must limit your purchases to PCS related expenses, such as hotels and meals, which will be reimbursed to you on your travel voucher. Any charges that are not PCS related could be questioned.

Cost of Living

The 2013 cost of living index for the Denver-Aurora area was 121, over the national average of 100. The median gross rent was $961.

Car Insurance Requirements

Colorado law mandates that auto insurance policies provide the following:

Bodily injury liability (BI) coverage covers you if you cause an accident in which someone else is hurt or killed. Colorado requires limits of $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury - commonly expressed as "25/50".

Property damage liability (PD) coverage covers you when you damage someone else’s property. Usually it’s someone else’s car, but it could apply to buildings, utility poles, garage doors, and other physical property.  Colorado requires a limit of $15,000 per occurrence.

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage covers medical and other expenses when you are hit by a driver without adequate auto insurance. In Colorado, insurers are required to offer UM/UIM in the same amount as the bodily injury liability limits you select. UM/UIM can be waived only if it’s rejected in writing. You may select limits starting at $25,000/$50,000 (same as Colorado's minimum liability limits) on up to the same amount of liability coverage you purchase on your own policy. Most people choose to carry it because it can cover your economic damages such as medical bills, as well as some non-economic damages should the person who hit you be uninsured or underinsured.

Colorado’s State Legislature passed a law (effective January 1, 2008) requiring an expansion of UM/UIM.

Medical payments coverage (Med Pay, or MPC) As of January 1, 2009, Colorado insurers are required to offer you $5,000 in coverage. You must opt out or the coverage and premium will automatically be added—whether you’re buying a new policy or renewing one. You can choose not to buy med pay or purchase a different amount. But, if you don’t want it you must reject it  in writing or in the same way you buy insurance, for example, over the Internet or telephone. The new law also requires your insurer to hold $5,000 of your medical payments coverage for 30 days to pay for trauma bills first.

Associated Links

Defense Travel Management Office /Per Diem
Per Diem official website with information on allowances, travel regulations and lodging websites.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
The authoritative source for pay issues.

Military Pay and Benefits
Ability to research your pay and benefits.

IRS Moving Regulations
Information on what expenses are tax deductible.

Air Force Compensation Center
Find Air Force compensation fact sheet and other information.

Military OneSource Financial Counseling
For short term financial problems, service families can obtain help from Military OneSource.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline