printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase


Employment Opportunities

Aurora has become a major employment center in the eastern portion of the greater Denver area. Today, Aurora has a well-developed master plan and offers a diverse yet stable economic base. The city's active economic development group has attracted such industry giants as AT&T, Children's Hospital Colorado, Raytheon, HealthONE, and Northrop Grumman. Today, Buckley Air Force Base, the largest public employer, continues to be a major influence in the development of Aurora.

For more information contact the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment toll-free at 1-888-550-2800 or visit their website.

Employment Documentation

It is important to hand carry employment related documents resumes, federal forms, transcripts, certificates and licenses. Contact the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment for information on a local job service center nearest you for an appointment to search for suitable employment.

Unemployment Compensation

For April 2017 the unemployment rate (Colorado Statewide) was 2.3% compared to 4.4% for the United States. Unemployment compensation may be available for the spouse of a newly assigned military member or civilian employee. To be eligible to receive unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed through no fault of your own and must be able to work, be available for work, and be willing to seek and accept suitable work. The Unemployment Insurance Program requests information from both the claimant and the employer as to the reasons for the job separation. Those facts are then evaluated according to the requirements as stated in the Colorado Employment Security Act. All individuals must complete, sign, and return Form UIB-1, Claim for Unemployment Insurance Benefits, before any benefits will be paid on the claim. If you are required to complete any other forms, you will be instructed by the UI Program or by the Internet application.

Colorado law requires all persons 18 years and older to provide proof that they are lawfully present in the United States before receiving certain benefits, including unemployment insurance (UI). In order to receive UI benefits from Colorado, you must affirm that you are a citizen or a legal, permanent resident of the United States or otherwise legally reside in the United States in accordance with federal law. You must possess and provide information regarding one of the following forms of identification (ID):

  • A valid Colorado driver's license or a valid Colorado ID card.
  • A United States military ID card or a military dependent ID card.
  • A United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card.
  • A Native American tribal document.

NOTE: Unemployed workers living outside Colorado must provide information proving that they have a valid driver's license or ID card issued by another state or by Canada.

For more information, please go online. 


The Airman & Family Readiness Center is available to assist family members of active duty and retired military members, civilian employees, contract employees, and NAF employees with resume reviews, job search techniques, federal employment opportunities, and other career focus issues. For more information, please call Airman & Family Readiness at 720-847-6681 or DSN 312-847-6681 during their hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

To find out about NAF opportunities on base, call NAF Human Resources at 720-847-6775 or DSN 312-847-6775.  If you are interested in federal employment openings on Buckley AFB, go to the USAJobs website to search for available positions.  

Transition Assistance Program

The Airman & Family Readiness Center overseas the transition program for military members separating or retiring from the military. All members must attend a Pre-Separation briefing and complete a DD 2648 form prior to attending the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) and/or separating from the military. Separating members may attend the Pre-Separation briefing one year before their date of separation, while retiring members may attend as far as two years prior to their retirement date. TAP is held once a month in the Bldg 606 auditorium, on Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information about TAP or other transition services, please contact the Airman & Family Readiness Center at 720-847-6681 or DSN 312-847-6681.

Tuition Assistance

Different educational opportunities are available to spouses of active duty military members. To learn about different resources, please call Airman & Family Readiness at 720-847-6681 or DSN 312-847-6681 or stop by the center in Bldg 606 at 18401 E. A-Basin Ave, Bldg 606, Buckley AFB, CO 80011.


For information on MyCAA and Military Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, visit Military OneSource.

Associated Links

Career Advancement Accounts for Military Spouses

Employer Support of Guard and Reserve
Find job advice and listings.

Office of Personnel Management
Provides access to all official federal jobs as well as links to other government resources.

U.S. Department of Labor
Provides access to all official employment statistics and opportunities.

DoD Commissaries
The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment.

Air Force Compensation Center
Find Air Force compensation fact sheet and other information.

Military State Policy Source
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Military Spouse Employment Partnership
Military spouses find a job with military friendly employers and learn job search skills from Military OneSource. Employers can register a job online.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline