printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Check-in Procedures

Travel Planning


Temporary Lodging Reservations: Reservations for lodging should be made as far in advance as possible to ensure temporary lodging facilities are available upon arrival. All travelers should be aware that space is extremely limited each year from April 1 through September 30 because of the high volume of PCS/TDY traffic. Reservations can be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For JBER, call 907-552-2454 or DSN 317-552-2454. You may also check availability and make reservation at DOD Lodging. If the accompanied member and their family do not have a confirmed reservation, they may be issued a Statement of Non-Availability to go off base and obtain a hotel/motel in Anchorage. During the summer months, hotel/motels are limited. The lodging office has a referral list of hotels/motels that are within the Temporary Lodging Allowance costs. They can also provide listings of off base hotels/motels that accept pets.

Pets: We have a very limited number of pet rooms. No more than 2 pets are allowed and only cats and dogs. Pets must have a health certificate not older than 30 days, be secured in a owner-provided kennel while unattended in guestrooms and during housekeeping or maintenance service, and be leashed at all times when outside the guestroom. Pet fees apply ($10 per night per room, not per pet). Pet owners are responsible to adhere to all policies issued at check in. If Lodging is booked, ask for a list of off post Kennel facilities and/or local pet friendly hotels.

Command Sponsorship: Concurrent travel means you have permission, from your unit commander, to bring your spouse and family with you at the same time you travel to Alaska. You must have all of your authorized family members listed on your PCS orders to do concurrent travel. To arrive in Alaska without approved concurrent travel creates a huge financial burden on you. GET CONCURRENT TRAVEL PERMISSION BEFORE YOUR PCS ORDERS ARE PUBLISHED AND PRINTED. Contact your losing installation's local Military Personnel Flight or Military Personnel Division (S1), Relocations/Outbound Assignments section.

If you get married before you relocate, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures.

Reporting Procedures

If you are on assignment with the U.S. Air Force: Upon arrival to the base, you must in-process no later than the next duty day at 0800. Base INTRO is located in the People Center, Bldg 8517 20th Street, Rm 118. They are open Monday - Friday, 907-552-8722. Bring a copy of your orders.

Permissive Leave for house hunting should be approved and a copy in your possession before you take your leave. Approval is usually accomplished before you leave your last base, but may be done once you arrive.

There is a joint spouse orientation for spouses new to the military called Spouses Orientation held quarterly. For more information on this program, call the Military & Family Support Center at 907-384-1517.

If you are on assignment with the U.S. Army: If you are not being met by your sponsor, report to the Welcome Center, Bldg. 600, In/Out Processing, Room 103. If arriving after 1600 hours or weekends, report to the Replacement Center, Bldg. 649. Bring a copy of your orders.

IAW AR 600-8-10, para 5-31, Commanders in the grade of LTC or above must approve Permissive TDY. If you are authorized 10 days Permissive TDY for the purpose of house hunting you must report to the Housing Office at your new duty station with your DA Form 31 on the day your permissive TDY begins.

Permissive TDY will end on the date specified on your DA Form 31 or the date you sign into your new duty station, whichever comes first. Soldier must report to the gaining on-post housing office prior to starting house hunting. Failure to do so will result in Soldier being charged leave for the entire period.

In-processing takes place over a three day period with daily Integration Briefings held in Building 600, Room 103. Day One includes essential information for every Soldier. Day Two includes Finance and Medical, and Day Three includes CIF/arctic gear issue.

Newcomers Orientation is held every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month and spouses are highly encouraged to attend.

There is a joint spouse orientation held quarterly for spouses new to the military called Spouse Orientation. For more information on this program, call the Military & Family Readiness Center at 907-384-1517.

Sponsor Role for all services: A sponsor is someone from your new unit who is assigned to assist you in settling into your new location. This person will be knowledgeable about the local community and the installation; available to assist you and your family for at least two weeks post arrival, and be someone who is positive and outgoing.

A sponsor's duties include:

  • Contacting you and your family by letter of introduction or e-mail upon learning of your assignment to the installation.
  • Following up with a personal phone call after contact has been made.
  • Sending information about the installation/area which you may require, or putting you in touch with the resources on the web and at the installation that provide current, complete and up-to-date information such as those provided by the Relocation Program.
  • Answering any questions which you or your family may have, or, again, providing the proper resources to answer those questions.
  • Confirm transportation and lodging arrangements.
  • Assisting with obtaining a Post Office Box for your mail.
  • Meeting you and your family upon arrival.
  • Accompanying you to your check-in point for the unit.
  • Introducing you to the Family Center and lending closet.
  • Providing essential service locations such as commissary, exchange, gas station, and bank.
  • Being available when you arrive at your installation to meet you, show you around, and help you through in-processing.

Air Force: If you have not been contacted by your sponsor, please call Base INTRO at 907-552-8722 for assistance.

Army: If you have not been contacted by your sponsor, please call 907-384-9341, DSN 317-384-9341.

What to do if Getting Married Enroute

If you get married before you relocate, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures.





Associated Links

USAF Home Page
Provides comprehensive resources and information on all Air Force issues.

Military ID Card/CAC -- Locator
Find all military ID card and CAC facilities worldwide.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline