printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Special Education/EIS

Early Intervention and Special Education Services

Children from Birth to 3 Years of Age

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, or IDEA, requires all states and territories to provide early intervention services to children from birth to 3 years of age who have, or are at risk for having, developmental delays. Local school districts or health departments often provide these early intervention services. The program is called different names in different areas, but it is often referred to as Part C (because Part C is the section of the law that pertains to early intervention). The national Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center provides a list of state Part C coordinators and funded programs on their website. Also, Military OneSource can assist you in identifying early intervention programs in your area. When moving, you should hand-carry copies of your child's individual family service plan and the most current evaluation reports to your new home to ensure they are not lost.

Children Between 3 and 21 Years of Age

The IDEA requires that all states and territories provide special education and related services to eligible children between the ages of 3 and 21. Each local school district has a special education director, and each school should have an individualized education program team or school-based committee that attends to students with special education needs.

The IDEA requires that if a child transfers to a different district in the same state, the receiving school must provide a free, appropriate public education, including comparable services, until the new school adopts the previously held individualized education program or develops, adopts and implements a new individualized education program. If a child transfers to another state, the receiving district must provide comparable services until the receiving district completes an evaluation and creates a new individualized education program, if appropriate.

If you are moving and your child receives special education and related services, you should hand-carry all pertinent school and medical documents, including the individualized education program and current evaluation reports. Hand-carrying these documents ensures that they are not lost and allows the new school district to begin the process as soon as you move.

Other Resources

Parent Training and Information Centers serve families and adults with special needs from birth to age 26. They assist families in getting appropriate education and services for their children, work to improve education services for all children, train and inform parents and professionals, resolve problems between families and schools or other agencies and connect those with disabilities to community resources. Find out more at the Center for Parent Information and Resources website.

Installation Specific Information

There are no DoD schools on base in the San Diego area. The Exceptional Family Member Coordinator is located at Naval Medical Center San Diego and the Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) can assist with the initial paperwork. For more information please visit the Family Programs website or contact NBSD FFSC at 619-556-7404 or FFSC NBC at 619-545-6071.

Local Community Information

Federal and state laws require all public school districts to provide a "free, appropriate, and individualized education for all disabled children." Both federal and state legislation mandate timeliness for referral, assessment, certification, placement, and provisions of appropriate services to all students with exceptional needs.

The California Master Plan for Special Education is implemented in all districts through a variety of educational programs for the learning disabled, communicatively, physically and severely disabled. Instruction is given according to the needs of each student based on an individualized education plan. Parents participate in planning the specific educational program for their special education child.

In the San Diego City Schools, about 10% of the total student enrollment, or over 12,000 students, receive some kind of education services. Disabling conditions range from the very mild, requiring only the occasional involvement of a resource teacher, to the severely impaired student who needs constant attention and care.

An individualized educational program (IEP) is written for each special education student. The program is developed with the participation of the student's parents or guardian, who must approve the program. All special education teachers must be certified by the state for the specific instruction or services they provided to disabled children.

Associated Links

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center
Provides a list of State Part C directors and programs.

Choosing a School for your Child - Department of Education
How to choose a school.

Education Directory for Children with Special Needs
Provides useful practical information for families with Autism Spectrum Disorders.

DoD Special Needs Homepage
Provides resources for meeting special needs.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline