printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Government Housing

Family Housing

The CNRSW Family Housing Welcome Center at Naval Base San Diego is responsible for assignment of all military families in the San Diego area, including Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and Marine Corps Recruit Depot. It is highly recommended that each service member and family check-in to the CNRSW Family Housing Welcome Center upon arrival to the San Diego area. For more information, please contact the CNRSW Family Housing Welcome Center at 619-556-8443 or visit the website.


There are 9,040 government houses located at 37 housing sites throughout San Diego area. Of these homes, 8,569 are enlisted units and 471 are officer units. The largest single housing site is Murphy Canyon Heights with 2,321 units.

Depending on the housing site selected, waiting times can be as little as 0-3 months or as long as 18-24 months. Please see the website for more information on housing availability, size of quarters, waiting time, pet restrictions, etc.


All officers and enlisted personnel with accompanying dependents are eligible to apply for Military Family Housing (MFH). MFH is limited and must be applied for at the Assignment/Referral Office, located at Naval Base San Diego.

Sponsors with family members designated as Category IV or V in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) will be housed on a priority basis. Service members whose families are experiencing severe hardships should call the Housing Office for special assistance and services available to them.

Application Procedures

In order to apply, you are required to have the following:

  • DD Form 1746 (Application for Assignment to Housing). Please contact the local housing office to obtain a DD Form 1746
  • A copy of orders showing your detachment date
  • Certification of bona fide family members. Examples of acceptable forms of documentation are the Emergency Data application (Page 2), a Record of Emergency Data (RED).
  • A copy of your LES

Application may be made in person or submitted by mail. Those submitted by mail must be confirmed within 30 days of reporting to San Diego.

If you have a family member who is in need of a wheelchair access unit, documentation from your family member's physician should be included along with your housing application form and transfer orders. You should also identify any other medical requirements when you submit your application.

Control Date

Your control date (effective date of application) determines your placement on the housing waiting list. The control date will usually be your date of detachment from your last permanent duty station if you apply within 30 days of reporting to San Diego.

All personnel are required to renew their applications every six months. Renewal may be made in person, by e-mail or by telephone. The CNRSW Family Housing Center recommends the Service Member or spouse periodically checks with the Center regarding the status of their application. Failure to provide current information may result in a delay in your assignment to housing.

Single Service Member Housing

CNRSW offers barracks and privatized housing to qualified single service members. It is the responsibility of the service member to check into the Billeting Office for room assignment. See the below contact information section for the Billeting Enlisted Quarters (BEQ) and Billeting Officer Quarters (BOQ). 

Your Command Sponsor is your link to specific needs, however Fleet and Family Support Center is also standing by to provide information and resources.

Combined Bachelor Housing

Navy Region Southwest Combined Bachelor Housing Program manages and operates all bachelor housing complexes within the San Diego metropolitan area. This includes facilities at Naval Base San Diego, Naval Base Coronado, and Naval Base Point Loma. For more information or to make reservations, contact 619-556-8672.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline