CNRSW Fleet and Family Support Center Naval Base San Diego, Family Employment Readiness Program (FERP)
3005 Corbina Alley
Building 263
San Diego, CA 92136

Phone 619-556-9866
Phone (DSN) 312-526-9866
Fax 619-556-9884
Fax (DSN) 312-526-9884

Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sat - Sun - closed
Holidays - closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase


Employment Options

The minimum wage for the state of California is $10.00 per hour. San Diego unemployment rate hovers around 4.8% (Bureau of Labor Statistics). Occupations requiring a year or less of training make up 80 percent of the top 50. These jobs are typically lower paying, ranging from $10.03 to $16.18 per hour. These jobs include retail sales, cashiers and restaurant staff. Higher skilled and higher paying occupations such as teachers, Registered Nurse, managers, carpenters, and accountants are also available. The San Diego job market is highly competitive.

Occupations in hi-tech, education, health and science make up the majority of the top fifty occupations, which are expected to grow at roughly 2.2% per year. Of those occupations, 74 % require education beyond high school and 52% require a BA/BS or above.

For federal employment opportunities on Military installations in the area, visit the USA Jobs website. The NAF Human Resources Department also has opportunities on area bases. To apply for NAF job openings, visit their website.

CNRSW Fleet and Family Support Centers

Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) offers the Family Employment Assistance Program (FERP). FFSC Career Consultants provide information on the California Employment Development Department, local vacancies, employment resource library, job fair information, mock interviews, resume writing, information on home based businesses, and computer labs. Copiers and fax machines are also available.

For more information please visit Career Services website or call your nearest FFSC, Naval Base Coronado 619-556-6071 or Naval Base San Diego 619-556-7404.

CNRSW FFSC classes include:

  • Resume Writing
  • Winning Interviewing Techniques
  • Finding Federal Employment
  • Insights to Starting a Home-Based Business

Military Spouse Preference (MSP) in Employment

As a military spouse you are likely to move many times, which means that finding a job and building a career can be a challenge. Fortunately, several programs and organizations exist to help military spouses seeking employment. The Military Spouse Preference program (MSP), established under the Military Family Act of 1985, offers employment placement preference in Department of Defense (DoD) civilian personnel positions to military spouses who meet certain criteria. The program applies to DoD vacancies only, and there are variations and exceptions that allow local hiring authorities to tailor their policies to meet their requirements.

To be eligible for the MSP, you should:

  • Be the spouse of an active duty member of the U.S. Military Services, including the Coast Guard or full-time National Guard
  • Be relocating (not for separation or retirement) to accompany your military sponsor under a permanent change of station (PCS) move to an active duty assignment; you may apply for MSP as early as thirty days prior to your reporting date at the new duty station
  • Have been married to the military sponsor prior to the sponsor's reporting date at the new assignment
  • Apply for a position within commuting distance of the sponsor's permanent new duty station
  • Rank among the "best qualified" candidates for the position

For more information please contact your nearest FFSC Career services department, or visit Military OneSource.

Employment Documentation

For job hunting purposes, be sure to hand carry employment records and documents, including current civilian and federal resumes, transcripts, certificates, licenses and any other records.

Unemployment Benefits

Separating or retiring military personnel and military spouses may be eligible for unemployment benefits in the state of California. Because not every state offers unemployment benefits to military spouses, check with the state you are relocating from to determine your eligibility. The Unemployment Insurance Program provides weekly payments for workers who lose their job through no fault of their own. The amount varies by state. Visit the California Employment Development Department (EDD) for more information.

Transition Assistance

CNRSW Fleet and Family Support Centers

CNRSW Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) offers a Transition Assistance Management Program (TAMP). FFSC Career Consultants provide information on the California Employment Development Department, local vacancies, employment resource library, job fair information, mock interviews, resume writing, information on home based businesses, and computer labs. Copiers and fax machines are also available.

CNRSW FFSC classes include:

  • Resume Writing
  • Winning Interviewing Techniques
  • Finding Federal Employment
  • Insights to Starting a Home-Based Business

The Transition Assistance Management Program (TAMP) supports military personnel that are separating or retiring.

  • Transition Goals Plans Success (TGPS) (any personnel separating)
  • Retirees may attend classes up to 24 months prior to retirement and separating personnel may attend classes 12 months prior to separating. Spouses are also encouraged to attend. For enrollment, contact your Command Career Counselor.
  • CNRSW FFSC offers two Career Fairs each year. In addition, separating military personnel can attend the Marketing Yourself for a Second Career Annual Conference. For more information contact CNRSW FFSC.
  • For more information please visit TGPS or contact the FFSC at Naval Base Coronado at 619-545-6071.

Requirements concerning Pre-Separation Counseling::
- Pre-Separation Counseling is initiated through with your Command Career Counselor (CCC) or Command Transition Officer (CTO) 24-18 months remaining before retirement; 18-12 months prior to separation; and not less than 90 days remaining on Active Duty whether retiring or separating pursuant to 10 U.S.C. 1142.

- Service members must complete and bring the following documents to the first day of the TGPS Workshop:

  • Pre-Separation Counseling Checklist, DD Form 2648 for Active Duty Personnel, or a DD Form 2648-1 for Reserve Personnel
  • Copy of VA E-benefits Registration
  • Individual Transition Plan (ITP) Checklist, DD Form 2958 with ITP Block 1 completed
  • Verification of Military Education and Training (VMET)
  • Recent Leave and Earning Statement
  • EVAL or FITREP - whichever applies
  • Recent Credit Report
  • Joint Service Transcript (JST) - previously known as SMART Transcript.
  • Results of O*NET Interest Profiler

Contact your CCC or CTO to schedule your counseling session, complete pre-requisite work, and schedule your Transition GPS Workshop.

Tuition Assistance

Military affiliated students can take courses in their off-duty hours at or near military installations. Please visit the Navy College Program online for more information.

Some colleges and universities extend in-state tuition rates to non-resident military spouses. For more information, contact your preferred school. Visit the National Military Family Association for information on scholarships. Scholarships are also offered through the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) at and the Defense Commissary Agency.

The San Diego County Regional Occupational Program (ROP) offers occupational training programs to students who are at least 16 years of age. Teachers are credentialed and the program is accredited.


For information on MyCAA and Military Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, visit Military OneSource.

Associated Links

Career Advancement Accounts for Military Spouses

Employer Support of Guard and Reserve
Find job advice and listings.

Office of Personnel Management
Provides access to all official federal jobs as well as links to other government resources.

U.S. Department of Labor
Provides access to all official employment statistics and opportunities.

DoD Commissaries
The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment.

Stars and Stripes
Current editions for European, Mid East and Pacific newspapers.

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

USA4 Military Families
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Military Spouse Employment Partnership
Military spouses find a job with military friendly employers and learn job search skills from Military OneSource. Employers can register a job online.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline