printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Check-in Procedures

Travel Planning

Temporary Lodging Reservations

Temporary lodging is not available on San Diego military bases. While seeking permanent housing, military and their families are recommended to make advance reservations at either a local hotel/motel or at a Navy Lodge or Marine Corps Inn. Navy Lodges accept reservations up to one year in advance with PCS orders.

The current Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) policy requires those traveling on PCS orders to check for availability with the Navy Lodge at area installations. If there is no availability, or appropriate accommodations, the Navy Lodge will issue a Certificate of Non-Availability in order to receive reimbursement for non-government lodging.

There are Navy Lodges at Naval Base San Diego (NBSD) and Naval Base Coronado (NBC). Reservations can be made at Navy Lodges all over the world, including the two in San Diego, by calling 1-800-628-9466 or by visiting the Navy Lodge homepage. The Miramar Inn is located on Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Miramar, which is approximately 30 minutes by highway from Naval Base San Diego. The Miramar Inn can be reached by phone at 858-271-7111 or online.

San Diego hotels and motels are available in all price ranges, often more expensive than the military lodges/inns. Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) offers discounted Southern California hotel vouchers through their Ticket Offices. Individuals can access more information on these vouchers and other MWR discounts by calling 619-556-2174 or at the MWR web site. When making a hotel/motel reservation, ask if they offer a military discount.

Service members are strongly encouraged to ask their detaching or gaining command about Temporary Lodging Expense or Temporary Lodging Allowance, which can off-set the cost of temporary housing at the losing or gaining duty station. This financial entitlement is obtained at the command PSD and should be applied for before expecting reimbursement for lodging costs.

Command Sponsorship

A sponsor is someone from your new command who is assigned to assist with settling into your new location. A sponsor is usually assigned through your gaining unit.

A sponsor's duties include:

  • Contacting you and your family by letter of introduction or e-mail upon learning of your assignment to the installation.
  • Sending any information about the installation/area which you may require, and putting you in touch with those who can supply the information.
  • Answering any questions that you or your family may have, and providing the proper resources to answer those questions.
  • Being available when you arrive at your installation to meet you, show you around, and help you through in processing.

Command Sponsors provide valuable information to incoming personnel and their families. Check with your gaining command to identify your Command Sponsor or contact your Command Career Counselor or your Command Sponsor Coordinator to request a sponsor.

If you are a Command Career Counselor you can assign your inbound Sailor a sponsor utilizing the Career Information Management System (CIMS).

Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) offers relocation information, referrals, Welcome Aboard Packages, Spouse Readiness information, local area information, hospitality kits, and assistance in locating your command. Call 619-556-7404 or DSN 312-526-7404 or visit us online for more information and support.

Documents to Hand Carry

During a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move, individuals should keep important paperwork with them at all times to decrease the potential for loss or identity theft. Examples would include the service member's service record, military ID cards, Powers of Attorney, PCS Orders, travel documentation, travel receipts, marriage certificates, immunization records of children or pets, household goods inventory lists, credit card statements, tax records, Social Security Cards, bank information, mortgages, vehicle information, drivers' licenses, bills, address book with information for the Command Sponsor, credit cards, a copy of the "Page 2" or proof of dependents, and any copies of family member medical records.

The original family medical records are typically shipped from the current Military Treatment Facility to the new servicing Military Treatment Facility. Family members traveling separately from the service member should maintain a copy of the service member's "Page 2" (second page of the service record which lists dependent data), a Power of Attorney and PCS orders.

When receipts and travel documents are submitted to the command or any military agency, the Service Member or family should keep a copy for their own records.

Reporting Procedures

Naval Base San Diego/Ships Present/Shore Tenant Commands:

Locations to check in vary according to the command to which you are assigned. Call your command or check their website for specific information. Generally, your first stop will be at the Naval Base San Diego (NBSD) Main Gate, Gate 6. Gate 6 is located at the intersection of Harbor Drive and 32nd Street. This is the best place to get current information on ships in port and directions to your ship or command.

Personnel reporting to NBSD during normal working hours will typically be directed to the Administrative Department in Building 72. After work hours and on weekends, contact the Naval Base San Diego's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at 619-556-7615 or DSN 312-526-7615. If reporting to another command, the personnel at Gate 6 can assist the service member in locating their command.

Deployed Ships:

Personnel reporting for duty to a deployed unit will be directed to the Transient Personnel Unit (TPU) located at Brunton Hall on the "Dry Side" of Naval Base San Diego (NBSD). 

What to do if you get married en route?

If you get married before you PCS, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures.

Associated Links

Military ID Card/CAC -- Locator
Find all military ID card and CAC facilities worldwide.

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

Navy Official Home Page
Generally applicable service wide information.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline