printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Check-in Procedures

Reporting Procedures

If you are unsure of where you should "check in" for your new command in the Norfolk Naval Station area, call the Transient Personnel Unit Quarterdeck for directions and guidance as to proper check-in procedures. They can be reached 24 hours a day by calling 757-444-1640 or DSN 312-564-1640.

The Transient Personnel Unit is a component of the Naval Station Norfolk and is headed by a Commanding Officer. The unit consists of an Administrative Services Department, Administrative Discharges Division, Master-At-Arms Force, Maintenance Department, Discipline Department, Transient Personnel Department, Enlisted Performance, and Legal Department.

The mission of TPU is to expeditiously process sailors through administrative, transfer, discipline, and/or medical transition pipelines for commands who, because of deployment or overseas location, can not provide appropriate facilitation themselves.

If you check aboard during normal working hours, please report to Naval Station Admin located in Bldg. J-50. If you check aboard after normal working hours, please report to the Duty Office located in Bldg. J-50.

Documents to Hand Carry

Keep copies of all important papers these should include: orders, passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates, ID cards, insurance cards, etc. Keep your sponsor, quarterdeck, and command ombudsman phone numbers with you at all times.

Travel Planning

Make lodging reservations in advance, make kennel arrangements for pets if you will be staying in the military lodge system or hotel/motels that are not pet friendly. Keep important travel numbers with you such as Red Cross, Navy Marine Corp Relief Society (NMCRS) Fleet and Family Support Centers (FFSC) and remember to have a safe and fun trip!  

Service members are strongly encouraged to ask their detaching or gaining command about Temporary Lodging Expense or Temporary Lodging Allowance, which can off-set the cost of temporary housing at the losing or gaining duty station. This financial entitlement is obtained at the command and should be applied for before expecting reimbursement for lodging costs.

What to do if you Get Married Enroute

If you get married before you PCS, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures.

Associated Links

Military ID Card/CAC -- Locator
Find all military ID card and CAC facilities worldwide.

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

Navy Official Home Page
Generally applicable service wide information.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline