printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Relocation Assistance

Programs and Services

If you are approaching a permanent change of station, or PCS, you may have questions about your upcoming move. As part of the Military and Family Support Center, the relocation assistance program provides services and resources to help make this transition as smooth as possible. Below is a listing of resources.

  • PCS planning — Most relocation assistance programs offer counseling/consultations to assist in the moving process. Those making their first military move, those making their first overseas move or those with challenging or complex situations should contact their installation relocation assistance office as soon as possible for information and assistance.
  • MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and Military OneSource — For managing and planning your move, you may want to take advantage of these Department of Defense-sponsored online resources and tools.
  • Loan Closet — Loan Closet offers basic household goods while your personal property is in transit. Typical items include pots and pans, dishes, silverware, irons, ironing boards and infant or toddler car seats. Generally, towels and bed linens are not available, so these should be packed in your express shipment. This service varies by service and installation.
  • Workshops and briefings — Workshops vary from installation to installation, but you may find classes on housing options, moving with children, moving with pets or general moving preparation and resources.
  • Pre-departure briefings — These briefings may be called Smooth Move or PCS Briefing and provide essential information about your next duty station. These briefings can be critical in setting you up for success during the transition to your next duty station.
  • Settling-in services — Welcome Wagon services or local area tours may be a part of your installation’s settling-in services. Overseas arrival services may include introductory language classes and cultural awareness training.
  • Foreign-born spouse support — Whether you have questions or concerns about immigration and naturalization, learning the English language or how to use local transportation, the relocation program provides assistance, classes and referrals.
  • Emergency assistance — From time to time, emergencies occur while moving. The Relocation Assistance Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.

Programs and services may vary across the installations.

Installation Specific Information

Army Community Service (ACS) Relocation Readiness Program (RRP) office offers a variety of services to aid soldiers and families in the process of transition.

Bi-Annual Hood Howdy is a Newcomer's Information Fair conducted by ACS Relocation Readiness Program in partnership with Family and Morale, Welfare Recreation. "Saddle up for the ride", a new theme for the event featuring a Texas style welcome. The event provides instant resources and showcases Fort Hood enhanced community relationship. Hood Howdy provides newcomers and the community an abundance of information for the ride at "The Great Place"...Such as that of local programs and activities; over 150 agencies and commercial sponsors to include the local Chambers of Commerce, Housing, emergency services, commissary and medical services. Family and MWR agencies are available to provide in-depth information regarding their services, such as financial counseling, recreational activities, job search assistance, and Child Youth School Services. For those with specific concerns or questions, one-on-one information about various services and resource information.

Citizenship and Immigration Services Town Hall Every 3rd Tuesday of each month, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Information Session is held on Fort Hood. Immigration Hotline for Military Members and their Families, 1-877-CIS-4MIL / 1-877-247-4645 or visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

An Overseas Workshop called PCS on the Go is provided for soldiers and family members being assigned to other military installations. The workshop provides relocation and financial information on what to expect before and during your next move. We also provide One-on-One appointments for soldiers unable to make the workshop.

Contact your RRP office, as soon as you know where your new duty station is going to be, your RRP staff can provide information on your new duty station. When you have orders in hand, they will be able to tell you what authorized finances and benefits you will receive. You will need to contact the Fort Hood Lodging Office for reservations to stay in guest quarters 90 days out.

Contact your local Post Office to get a Change of Address Card. If you do not have a local address at your new duty station, you may fill out a hold card for your local Post Office to hold your mail up to 30 days. However, if the mail must be held more than 30 days the Post Office supervisor must be advised.

Associated Links

Military OneSource
Provides access to 24/7 counseling, information and referral for service families, and if relocating, search for Culture Grams that can provide useful information about your new duty location.

Military Youth on the Move
Answers to military children and teen concerns.

Military Child Education Coalition
Provides information and resources on military education needs.

Transition GPS
Official web site for verification of military service for transitioning service members.

Army OneSource
Comprehensive information on all Army Community Services and QOL support.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

U.S. Army Cadet Command -- Official QOL Web Site
Provides information and links to all Army Cadet Command quality of life issues.

Army Reserves
Information on the Army Reserve as a career.

Department of Defense-sponsored website for kids impacted by the deployment of parents and caregivers.

Military State Policy Source
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline