Information, Referral and Follow-up (IR&F)
761st Tank Battalion
Corner of T.J. Mills Blvd.
Rivers Building 121
Fort Hood, TX 76544

Phone 254-553-1593
Phone (DSN) 312-663-1593
Fax 254-287-8428
Fax (DSN) 312-737-8428

Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sat and Sun -closed
Holidays - closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Motor Vehicles

Registration and licensing requirements

State laws vary when it comes to motor vehicle insurance requirements, licensing and registration. The term vehicle generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Service members and their families will want to understand their state’s laws on registration and licensing before moving to a new state. Visit the Motor Vehicle Services page for links to state-specific websites.

Motor vehicle laws

State and local laws regulate the operation of motor vehicles, and these laws can vary by location. Many states regulate the following:

  • Seatbelt use
  • Child safety seats
  • Motorcycle operation
  • The use of cellphones and other digital devices while driving

Learn more about motor vehicle laws in your state at the State Laws page.

Installation Specific Information

The Fort Hood Marvin Leath Visitor Welcome Center (VWC) is open 24 hours-a-day, and provides several services to support customer needs. Some of those services consist of the following:

Installation Access Passes - The Fort Hood VWC issues passes to all non-DoD persons with a valid reason for entering the installation. All persons requesting a pass are required to undergo security vetting prior to receiving a visitor pass. Non-DoD persons 17 and under are not required to present photo ID unless operating a motor vehicle. Non-DoD persons age 16 years and up operating a vehicle must present a valid driver's license, valid vehicle registration, and valid proof of insurance for the vehicle they are operating. Non-DoD passengers of adult age, riding in the non-DoD person's vehicle are also required to undergo security vetting prior to receiving a passenger-only pass. The VWC has begun issuing 1 year passes to help reduce customers' frequency of visits to the VWC for pass renewals.

Commercial Traffic Access Passes - All commercial vehicle traffic must enter the Clark Road Access Control Point for a vehicle inspection. All vehicle occupants will be checked against the National Criminal Information Center database, prior to being issued a pass. Guard personnel at the Clark Road ACP, can also issue visitor passes to commercial vehicles for up to 90 days. If the occupant(s) are already in possession of a valid pass, they will still require a vehicle inspection prior to entry.

Pass Denials - Individuals who do not pass the security vetting process IAW the regulatory required National Crime Information Center III check, will be issued a Fort Hood Access Denial Waiver Application to request access. Upon submitting a waiver application, the Senior Installation Commander will make a determination on whether to approve or deny installation access.

Firearm(s) Registration - Your firearms can be registered 24/7 at the Marvin Leath Visitor Welcome Center. All personnel (military or civilian) who live on the installation or will possess, transport, or carry a firearm on the installation at any time will register with the Directorate of Emergency Services (DES). Firearms will be registered under the owner's information. If the owner is a Family member, the firearm will be registered under their information and the sponsor's. All Soldiers residing on the installation are required to obtain their unit commander's approval to register privately-owned firearms. Newly assigned Soldiers in possession of assignment orders must receive a temporary weapons registration with the expiration lasting through the in-processing phase prior to traveling onto post with the firearm. Soldiers that purchase a firearm must receive a temporary weapons registration (not to exceed 5 working days), pending their commander's approval. Once the Commander has signed the weapon registration form the Soldier will return to the MLVWC or the Fort Hood Police station for permanent registration.

North Fort Hood Visitor Welcome Center

The new center opened on 21 August 2017, and is located in the billeting area of building 56342, directly across from the access control point located on Texas Highway 36, near Gatesville. Services offered include issuance of visitor and contractor passes, issuance of long-term installation access badges for those that qualify, and firearms registrations. For more information call (254) 286-5593. The North Fort Hood Visitor Welcome Center is located in the billeting area, Bldg 56342, directly across from the Access Control Point located on Texas Highway 36, near Gatesville, TX. Hours of Operation of operation are Monday – Friday, 0800-1400 (8:00 am – 2:00 pm) closed for III Corps Holiday Observance days.

Registering Vehicles on Base

Changes to Installation Access Procedures - As of September 2015, Fort Hood discontinued the use and issuance of the Department of Defense vehicle decals. The new procedures will not affect DoD personnel, Common Access Card holders, retirees, family members, government contractors, or those who already possess a valid pass from entering post in a non-commercial vehicle. Individuals in possession of an authorized DoD ID card may access any access control point (ACP) by simply presenting their ID to the gate guard at the entry point.

• Real ID Act - Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government "set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses." The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards.

• As of 10 January 2016 State-issued driver's licenses and ID cards from states not meeting the standards can no longer be used to access federal facilities including military installations without a second form of ID. For more information on the Real ID Act, or to see if our State is in compliance, visit the Department of Homeland Security Website at Visitors whom States are on the list can use the following additional documents in conjunction with "non-valid ID" to provide reasonable assurance of identify for installation access purposes.

Those documents are:

  • University, library, or school cards, containing a photograph, name and expiration date. 
  • Non-government photo identification with a person's name and address 
  • Birth certificate or document with a person's full name and date of birth 
  • Utility bill or other documentation showing the person's name and address of principal residence.
  • Vehicle registration with name and address 
  • NOTE: The name and address on the secondary form of identification must match the State-issued driver's licenses or ID card.


Texas Driver's License

The Texas Department of Public Safety’s new Fort Hood driver’s license office located at Bldg 69005 T.J. Mills Blvd just off of Interstate 14 (Old Hwy 190) opened on Tuesday, November 20 2017. The new building takes the place of the old office which was previously co-located with the Fort Hood Visitor Welcome Center, Bldg 69012. They provide a myriad of services to include issuance of Texas State driver's licenses, Texas State ID's, and Texas driver's license renewals. This office does not administer road tests. Their hours of operation are Monday - Friday (8:30 am - 5:00 pm).

Associated Links

Army Home Page
Information and resources for Army soldiers and families worldwide.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline