Housing Services Office
T.J. Mills Blvd Corner of Battalion
Copeland Soldier Service Center, Building 18010, B209
Fort Hood, TX 76544

Phone 254-287-4212 / 254-287-3704
Phone (DSN) 312-737-4212
Fax 254-287-4899
Fax (DSN) 312-737-4899

Fort Hood Family Housing (On Post Housing Services)
Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Housing Services Office (Off Post Housing Services, Deposit Waivers, In and Out-Processing)
Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Sat and Sun - closed

Email | Website Website Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase


On-Post Family Housing

Residing in on-post housing is voluntary, not mandatory, except for personnel assigned to Key and Essential Positions, as designated by the Installation Commander. In processing through the Housing Services Office is mandatory.


Under the Residential Communities Initiatives program, authorized by the Military Housing Privatization Act enacted into law in l996, Department of the Army entered a joint venture with Lend Lease for a 50-year project at Fort Hood. Privatized housing consists of 5550 units of military housing managed by the RCI Partner. There are also 300 private sector 2-bedroom JENL and JNCO units located on the installation that are owned and managed by Universal Services. Overall, on-post housing consists of a total of 12 villages containing single housing and townhomes, with two to five bedrooms. There are 5233 units for enlisted personnel and 617 units for officers.


All Soldiers in grades E-1 and above with a Family housing requirement may apply for on-post Family housing. In addition, Fort Hood Family Housing accepts applications for military retirees, single Soldiers E6 and above, and all non-military who qualify.

Wait Times

Waiting periods vary, based on rank, bedroom requirements, and number of personnel on the waiting lists. The waiting period for the various ranks varies by number of bedrooms, from 2 weeks to 12 months, and may vary monthly.


All Soldiers with a Family housing requirement may apply for on-post housing. Soldiers desiring to apply for on-post housing must do so within 30 days of their arrival at Fort Hood to receive a proper back date to establish an eligibility date. If application is made after the initial 30 days, the eligibility date will be the date of the application. The service member can apply at the Fort Hood Family Housing website. You can also apply at the Housing Office, located at the Copeland Services Center, Building 18010 T.J. Mills Boulevard, 254-285-2313. For more Housing information regarding on post rental application visit the Fort Hood Army Housing Online User Services. Once the application has been submitted and screened, you will be contacted by a housing representative. To apply for a home in Liberty Village, visit their website or call the Liberty Village office at 254-526-3788.

Exceptional Family Member Housing

Requests for exception to policy for medical reasons must state specific circumstances and be supported by medical records on file at Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center and documentation from the Exceptional Family Member Program records. All requests for medical reasons are forwarded (by the Housing Office) to the Chief, Clinical Services for evaluation. Medical reasons, including asthma, allergies, and pregnancy, are not considered adequate justification for exception to policy and are normally disapproved.

Single Service Member Housing

Fort Hood is committed to providing single Soldiers with a clean, healthy, and safe living area that provides privacy and comfort. Barracks are managed by a Garrison-Unit Partnership on Fort Hood, with the military units managing the day-to-day operations of the barracks. Many of the barracks have recently undergone renovation to improve the Quality of Life for each Soldier. Fort Hood has had several new barracks complexes recently built. With the most recent barracks, Fort Hood provides rooms that house either two Soldiers or one soldier for specialists and below. Noncommissioned officers in the rank of E5, are provided their own rooms, if space is available. Pets are not allowed in the barracks.

The unit's Barracks Management Teams will assign rooms based on guidance from the unit's leadership. Barracks occupants are required to report all furniture & appliance deficiencies to the appropriate BMTs. Existing policy prohibits smoking in the barracks.

Single Soldiers E6 and above are eligible for housing with Fort Hood Family Housing, at a flat rate rent. Contact 866-700-6632 for more information on this program.

Certificates of Nonavailabilty — Fort Hood uses a 95% barracks utilization rate, installation-wide to determine if a CNA is to be issued. Soldiers, E5 and below, married to another SM on separate tours without Family members, are required to reside in the barracks (AR 420-1, Chap 3-Chap 20/d). Currently, Single Soldiers, E6 and above, can apply for on post Family Housing. To inquire, visit the Fort Hood Family Housing website, or contact the Housing Office.

Soldiers E5 and below with joint custody, or court ordered to support family members (child support) may be authorized to reside off post (AR 420-1 Table 3-5 Priority III note 2).

For more information please visit Fort Hood Housing website under Unaccompanied Housing.

Off-Post Housing Referral

Surrounding Communities

Most local housing is located in the Killeen, Harker Heights, and Copperas Cove areas. Commute time to Fort Hood is 10 to 15 minutes. Additional housing is available in Temple, Belton, Gatesville, and Lampasas, which is approximately a 30-minute drive.

Housing Services Office

The HSO will provide you a list of registered rental agencies, with their contact and website information, for viewing available rental in the area, and can provide information regarding the communities in which the rentals are located. The HSO is your contact for any problems you may encounter, such as discrimination complaints, tenant/landlord disputes, or any questions or issues concerning off-post housing.

Rental Options

Most rental agencies and many rental properties in the area require a non-refundable Application Processing/Security Check Fee, a non-refundable Pet Deposit, and a Security Deposit of up to 1 month's rent. Once signed, the lease is legally binding. HSO recommends you do not sign a lease until you’ve looked at the property, and determined the rent amount requested equates to the property condition. The HSO will provide tips for avoiding costly penalty fees while renting off-post.

Purchase Options

Once you have decided to purchase a new home, determine your needs based on Family size, affordability, area of town, the importance of such things as yard, garage, and distance from work and schools, etc. Shop around by either driving through neighborhoods or viewing company websites. If you are considering acquiring a previously owned home, the Veterans Administration publishes a list of available properties each Tuesday in the Killeen and Temple Newspaper. Everyone is eligible to buy VA properties. Most of those properties qualify for 100 percent financing at competitive interest rates for a 30-year term. When selecting a Realtor, be sure that you only deal with one who is licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission. Get answers to all your questions and let your Realtor know your needs and desires.

A good guideline of how much you can afford to pay is to not exceed 29% of your household gross monthly income. Include monthly payments for insurance and taxes in your planning. Find out how much down payment and closing costs may be required.

The following documents and information are needed for processing a loan application:

  • Copies of Tax Returns and W2's for the last 2 years
  • Employment history on all borrowers
  • Checking and Savings Account information
  • Social Security number for each borrower
  • Complete information on all installment debts and credit cards, i.e. account numbers balance of monthly payments, value of automobiles, boats, furniture, and details on such assets as stocks, bonds, and life insurance
  • If alimony or child support is paid or received, a copy of the divorce decree is needed
  • If bankruptcy was filed within last 7 years, a copy of the bankruptcy paper is needed
  • DD 214 for all VA property while your loan is being processed, you should not make major purchases, such as cars or appliances. New debts may affect financing.

Mobile Homes

There are mobile home parks that not only provide spaces, but also rent both furnished and unfurnished mobile homes. Contact the Housing Services Office before beginning your off-post housing search. The Housing Office can provide guidance in selecting one that fits your needs and entering into rental contracts. You can also get information from phone books provided by the Relocation Readiness program.

Associated Links

Defense Travel Management Office /Per Diem
Per Diem official website with information on allowances, travel regulations and lodging websites.

Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on Move.mil by watching the video presentation, "What's on Move.mil?"

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Army Housing Online User Services
Army housing program's worldwide portal.

Army Installation Management Command
Link is helpful in order to gain information about local and Army-wide initiatives.

Homeowners Assistance Program
Describes the programs and benefits available to some military families impacted by BRAC and PCSing personnel with mortgage shortfalls.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. »

MilitaryOneSource.mil, No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline