Transportation Office
T.J. Mills Blvd Corner of Battalion Avenue
Copeland Soldier Service Center, Building 18010
Fort Hood, TX 76544

Phone 254-287-4515 / 254-287-4602 / 254-287-2520 (After Hours QA)
Phone (DSN) 312-738-9832
Fax 254-287-4515
Fax (DSN) 312-737-4515/4602

Mon – Thu 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Fri 7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Sat and Sun - closed

Website Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Household Goods

Arranging Household Goods Shipments

As soon as you receive to your permanent change of station, you can start getting your house and family ready. Clean up and get rid of junk. Hold a yard sale or donate serviceable items you no longer need. Gather important family records. Remember, in overseas areas, houses are generally much smaller than those in the United States and the electric current may be different.

If you are moving overseas, begin to plan what items will go in unaccompanied baggage, in your household goods shipment and in long-term, Non-Temporary Storage, or NTS, storage—check with your sponsor or overseas housing office to assist in determining what items to ship.

Household Goods Shipping Process

The Defense Personal Property System is the online system you will use to request and manage your household goods shipment(s). For how-to guides to assist with your application, go to


Moving with your pet includes researching airline requirements and quarantine restriction laws in your new location. Many airlines have requirements for size, weight, breed, number of animals, kennel construction, documentation and seasonal limitations. Small pets may be shipped on military flights, but availability and regulations frequently change. Contact your local Personal Property Office to request specific country instructions. Military OneSource can make your move easier with helpful tips, resources and hands-on information related to moving with pets and more.

"It's Your Move"

Review the U.S. Transportation Command booklet, "It's Your Move," for detailed information on weight allowances, the household goods shipping process, storage, automobile shipments, claims processes and the customer satisfaction survey.

For assistance on moving entitlements, reach out to:
Navy personnel: or 855-HHG-MOVE (855-444-6683)
Marine Corps personnel: or 703-695-7765
Air Force personnel: or 210-652-3357

Installation Specific Information

The Installation Transportation Office, Personal Property staff is available to assist with your inbound processing and facilitate your smooth transition into the Fort Hood Community. Members should contact their Move Coordinator as assigned by the TSP at origin Permanent Duty Station to schedule delivery of their personal property or cancel deliveries based on your communication with them. If the customer is unable to coordinate with the TSP the Transportation Office will assist in scheduling delivery dates.

If your property has arrived and you do not yet have an address, your property will be held in temporary storage for up to 90 days (less any storage used at origin). An additional 90 days may be approved, but must be requested in writing.

If you are expecting the arrival of household goods or unaccompanied baggage call the Inbound Section at 254-287-2200, option 1. 

Arranging Shipments

The Permanent Change of Station and arrangement of household goods begins once the customer receives orders. Specific arrangements for personal shipments begin by setting up an account through Each pay grade has its own weight allowance, which is the maximum weight that can be moved at government expense under Joint Travel Regulation. The allowance includes the weight of household goods shipped, placed in storage or sent as unaccompanied baggage. The customer must pay anything exceeding the maximum weight allowance. All shipments can be reweighed at destination before delivery which can be coordinated with the local TO as soon as PCS orders are issued.

Make sure take all required documents generated through DPS to complete the move request to your local transportation office as soon as PCS orders are in hand and you have established an account in DPS.

Unaccompanied Baggage

Unaccompanied baggage consists of items you will need immediately upon arrival at destination; pending receipt of your household goods. It is packed and shipped separately from your household goods. Items most often included are seasonal clothing, essential linens, cooking utensils and dishes, baby cribs and infant-care articles, a small radio, portable television and items required for health and comfort. As of 1 March 2014, the Joint Travel Regulation redefines Professional Books, Papers, and Equipment and sets limit to a maximum weight of 2,000 pounds with no authority to waive the limitation. Each branch of the armed services has rules regarding when and how much unaccompanied baggage may be shipped. Once a counselor reviews your orders, your entitlements are determined.

Personal Property

Contact the Personal Property Office at, 254-287-2200; Inbound - option 1 (HHG, UB & PPM), Non-Temp Storage - option 2, and Outbound - option 3 (HHG, UB & PPM) and claims process call Quality Assurance at 254-287-6152.

Traveling with Pets

All Fort Hood pets three months of age and older must be registered with the Veterinary Treatment Facility, 254-287-6719, within seven days of initial arrival and annually thereafter. Due to limited facilities, pick up a local phone book from the ACS Relocation office to assist you with all your pet needs.

NOTE: Most rental agencies and rental properties require a non-refundable Pet Deposit.

Dogs, cats, and most other warm-blooded animals transported in commerce are protected by the Animal Welfare Act. The US Department of Agriculture¹s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service enforces this law. APHIS¹ shipping regulations help ensure that people who transport and handle animals covered under the AWA treat them humanely. Airlines and other shippers are affected by regulations established to protect the well being of animals in transit. You may contact the USDA at their toll free number, 800-545-USDA or on the USDA website.

Helpful Websites:

Shipping your Privately Owned Vehicle

The Vehicle Processing Center is located at 957 Heinz Way, Grand Prairie, TX, 75051 for movement of Privately Owned Vehicles worldwide. There contact information is: Commercial: 469-203-8629 or Toll Free: 855-389-9499;
Fax: 972-639-3976 and Email: Customers can obtain detailed information on the shipment and storage of their POV from the IAL website.

Associated Links
Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on by watching the video presentation, "What's on"

Auto Logistics
Resource for service members moving or storing their personally owned vehicles for a permanent change of station.

US Customs
Find information on importing and exporting products and property.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Questions about household goods & POVs?

Household Goods Portal
Check out the Household Goods Portal »

Please complete the Customer Satisfaction Survey (pdf) after each delivery. Your feedback is important!

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline