printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Special Education/EIS

Exceptional Family Member Program

Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) screening is mandatory for all family members who will accompany a service member to an overseas duty location. EFMP screening includes educational screening when the family member is under the age of 21. The military service considers the needs of the family member when considering an overseas assignment.

The Department of Defense operates two programs that provide educational services to children with developmental delays and disabilities, in compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Eligibility for services is determined according to procedures outlined in DoD Instruction 1342.12, Provision of Early Intervention and Special Education Services to Eligible DoD Dependents, April 11, 2005.

Infants and Toddlers (birth to 3 years old)

Educational and Developmental Intervention Services (EDIS) is a military medical department program that provides early intervention services to infants and toddlers from birth until three years of age. EDIS is available at all locations where there is a DoD school.

The EDIS teams, with Early Childhood Special Educators and multi-disciplinary allied health professionals, assist families of infants and toddlers with developmental delays to achieve goals that enhance functional independence and support school readiness. EDIS provides services in the child's natural environment (home, childcare center, etc.), and embedded in family routines.

Early Intervention (3 to 5 years old)

Through special programming offered by David Glasgow Farragut Elementary, children in the preschool age range may be eligible for programs such as Sure Start of Child Find. Contact the base School Liaison Officer for more details on these programs at

School Age (3-21 years)

The Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) provides special education to school aged children with a disability. In overseas communities, the availability of services varies according to the size of the community, its location, and the military mission.

Special Education Records

Parents of children enrolled in special education should hand-carry all pertinent school and medical documents to include their children's Individualized Education Program (IEP) and current testing and evaluation reports.

What do I do if my child is receiving Early Intervention or Special Needs support?

Be sure to obtain your overseas screening and enroll your child in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) program. Contact the School Liaison Officer for guidance on educational evaluation by the Instructional Systems Specialist-Special Education at

Associated Links

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

Parent Training and Information Centers
Parent training and information centers for special needs family members.

National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center
Provides a list of State Part C directors and programs.

Choosing a School for your Child - Department of Education
How to choose a school.

Education Directory for Children with Special Needs
Provides useful practical information for families with Autism Spectrum Disorders.

DoD Special Needs Homepage
Provides resources for meeting special needs.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline