printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Household Goods

Arranging Household Goods Shipments

As soon as you are alerted to your upcoming permanent change of station move, you can start getting your house and family ready. Clean up and get rid of junk. Hold a yard sale or donate serviceable items you no longer need. Gather important family records.

If you are moving overseas, begin to plan what items will go in unaccompanied baggage, in your household goods shipment and in permanent storage. Remember, in overseas areas, the electric current may be different and houses are generally much smaller than those in the United States. These are good questions to ask your sponsor.

Household Goods Shipping Process

The Defense Personal Property System is the online system you will use to manage your household goods shipment. For how-to guides to assist with your application go to


Moving with your pet includes researching airline requirements and quarantine restriction laws in your new location. Many airlines have requirements for size, weight, breed, number of animals, kennel construction, documentation and seasonal limitations. Small pets may be shipped on military flights, but availability and regulations are always changing. Search for more general information on shipping pets.

Many international locations have strict importation laws, including extended quarantines and restrictions on breeds or types of animals. Carefully research these rules as they could impact your moving schedule. You may also find some locations in the United States that have restrictions on certain animals and breeds. Review your new installation's "Shipping Pets" in MilitaryINSTALLATIONS for details.

"It's Your Move"

Review the U.S. Transportation Command booklet, "It's Your Move," for detailed information on weight allowances, the household goods shipping process, storage, automobile shipments, claims processes and the customer satisfaction survey.

Installation Specific Information 

Accompanied personnel (Command sponsored) assigned to USAG-Yongsan, Korea are authorized 1/2 JFTR weight allowance. Once you arrive in USAG-Yongsan, make a trip to the Transportation Office (Yongsan Movement Branch) in the Community Service Building (S4106) to notify the agency of your arrival, current unit information, and a local contact number. Inbound Household Goods typically take 2-3 months for arrival; Hold Baggage usually takes 15-35 days; vehicle transportation around 60 days.

The Yongsan Movement Branch (PPPO) will assist with:

  • Manage the movement of Personal Property and freight to/from and within USAG-Yongsan.
  • Provide Counseling to members on personal property shipping/storage entitlement and assist members in locating and schedule delivery of inbound personal property and freight shipment.
  • Maintain all suspense and document files.
  • Initiate tracer action on late shipments through the Consolidated Booking Office (CBO) in Yongsan.
  • Perform Quality Control Inspection; provide documentation to assist members in filing a claim for lost/damaged personal property and conduct claims verification inspections.

Pets -- To find out breed restrictions for Korea, contact your State’s USDA State Office. USAG-Yongsan has no breed restrictions as of (2/15/2010). Our community does have a limitation of two pets per on-post housing unit. 

Planning the Household

Furniture -- Accompanied military members are either entitled to full furniture transport (depending on branch of the military and/or rank) or 50% (1/2 JFTR) furniture transport. If you are an accompanied military family living on post (whether you brought all or partial household goods), you are authorized full furniture support from the Housing Office.  If you are an accompanied military family living off post only entitled to bring partial household goods support, you are authorized furniture support from the Housing Office for your entire tour.  If you are entitled to bring full household good support and live off post, you are only authorized furniture support for 6 months. And finally, if you are a civilian family, you are only authorized 6 months furniture support because you automatically are entitled to full household goods shipment.  Why is this important?  Read below in the “What to Bring” section to determine if you should bring certain items or put them in storage. 

What to Bring:  Plan your Packing in Five Components

1. Hand Carry -- Pack passports, copies of orders, power of attorneys, medical, school, and immunization records, pet documents, personal toilet articles, any essential medicine, and all identification cards. Bring your car seats; even if they are merely checked. To ride on-post in personal vehicles or taxis, your children must be properly belted in. 

2. Baggage for the Plane -- What you include will be limited by the baggage weight limits, but the following are some suggested “essentials”: current seasonal clothes and several pairs of comfortable shoes (You will do a lot of walking compared to what a typical American usually does). Remember to check your order and ensure that you get the over­seas baggage weight allowance with your PCS orders of two bags per person each bag weighing no more than 70 pounds. Seasonal “must haves” include: rain gear (umbrella and rain boots) during the summer months (monsoon season is no joke) and warm layers during the win­ter. Bring car seats (check booster seats) and if you use an umbrella stroller, check one as baggage.

3. Unaccompanied Baggage (Hold Baggage) -- Plan your hold baggage carefully. While Army Community Service (ACS) can help you with some items until your shipment arrives, consider sending the following items in “hold baggage”:

  • Kitchen & eating necessities (plates, utensils, pots, pans)
  • Small appliances (can opener, toaster, and coffee maker)
  • Household supplies (vacuum)
  • Shower curtain hooks
  • Towels (bath and kitchen)
  • Bed linens (extra long or sweat shirt material sheets are best, blankets and pillows)
  • Clothing to span two seasons (rain gear for the summer monsoon season)
  • Children’s items, particularly their favorite games and toys
  • If you have a baby: crib, changing table, jogger stroller, etc.
  • Computer equipment
  • TV/DVD player and electronic accessories
  • Small hand tools (hammer, screwdriver)

4. Household Goods vs. Storage -- The government allows only a certain percentage of your total weight allowance to be shipped to Korea. The remainder of your items will need to be placed in storage at government expense. Weight allowances vary depending on branch of service and rank, so check with your Personnel Office, Travel Man­agement Office, or Personal Property Office for the correct information. Army families are typically allowed to ship only 50% of the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR) allowed weight allowance. Your household goods shipment may take several months, so you may want to consider sending this shipment early. Regardless of your weight allowance, think carefully when deciding what to ship. Bring the things that you cannot live without, but keep in mind that your life may become filled with “treasures” from Asia. Quarters are smaller than most Stateside homes and some have minimal storage space; you can quickly find yourself over-crowded. Understand housing varies widely. 

Consider bringing the following items: 

  • Room air cleaners and filters. (EXTREMELY necessary for those with breathing conditions and small children)
  • Small tools
  • Baby items – Furnishing Management Office (part of Housing) DOES NOT have cribs, toddler bed, changing tables or any other baby furnishing item to loan.  If you have a baby or are expecting – bring baby furniture in your household goods.
  • Sports equipment (golf clubs, tennis equipment, ski gear, and sports shoes for your children in the next size up)
  • Sewing machine (have your machine serviced before you come and bring all essential accessories)
  • If you bring a gas grill, be aware that you cannot ship your own tank (even purged). You can get propane tanks at the PX Mini-Mall.
  • Rugs and carpets - Floors in quarters are linoleum over concrete, and they are cold. It is wise to bring your own carpets (and carpet padding) with you.
  • Christmas and other holiday decorations are a must to bring. You may want to downsize the quantity due to size of your new living space.
  • Pictures, books, and decorative items that transform a house into a home. Be sure to include plenty of these because they are real morale boosters. You may want to consider leaving irreplaceable treasures in storage or with family members so pollutants will not damage them.
  • Some type of entertainment center for your TV. (Check with Hous­ing to see if one will be provided, it depends on where you live.)
  • Planter boxes or pots - The self-help store has flowers, seeds, dirt, rocks, border materials, and mulch available free of charge in the spring, but planters have to be purchased.
  • Dehumidifier/humidifier – Dehumidifi­ers are issued at Burt’s Self-Help, but quantities are very limited.
  • Slipcovers for standard size living room furniture. All the furniture is the same. Slipcovers change your home from others.
  • Stepladder (small)
  • Fans – some housing areas have ceiling fans, but many do not. Pedestal fans are available at the PX seasonally.
  • Router for wireless net – digital net is available with many Voice Over IP options, but bring a wireless router to connect all your gizmos. 

Consider not bringing the following items:

  • Large pieces of furniture, since Housing provides basic household furniture.
  • Large outdoor toys or playsets, because storage is an issue, and you may not have a downstairs housing unit to set up the item.
  • China and crystal unless you routinely do formal entertaining.
  • Major appliances such as a stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer (they are furnished by Housing).

Associated Links
Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on by watching the video presentation, "What's on"

Auto Logistics
Resource for service members moving or storing their personally owned vehicles for a permanent change of station.

US Customs
Find information on importing and exporting products and property.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Questions about household goods & POVs?

Household Goods Portal
Check out the Household Goods Portal »

Please complete the Customer Satisfaction Survey (pdf) after each delivery. Your feedback is important!

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline