Legal Assistance Claims (Staff Judge Advocate)
2765 Tennessee Ave
Fort Campbell, KY 42223

Phone 270-798-4432
Phone (DSN) 312-635-4432
Fax 270-956-3961
Fax (DSN) 312-635-3961

Mon-Wed 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thu – 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Fri – 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Closed 11:45 to 1:00 p.m. Daily
Sat - closed
Sun - closed
Holidays/DONSAs - closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Legal Assistance

Legal Services

The Fort Campbell Judge Advocates Office provides support to the Fort Campbell commands and tenet activities service members (active and retired) and family members in several areas to include Trial Defense, Administrative Law, Personal Property Claims, Legal Assistance, Tax Preparation and Immigration & Naturalization issues.

Legal Assistance handles or is involved in a number of issues to include:

  • Support (Child or Spouse
  • Powers of attorney
  • Leases
  • Affidavits
  • Kentucky deeds
  • Name changes
  • Consumer affairs
  • Civil suits
  • Domestic relations and family law
  • Immigration and naturalization
  • Wills and estates
  • Tax assistance
  • Local court procedures

Claims Services

Claims are processed under the provisions of Army Regulation (AR) 27-20 and Department of the Army Pamphlet (DA Pam) 27-162. Not all claims are payable. It is the Claimant's responsibility to properly complete the required forms and to provide documentation substantiating their claim. The Center for Personnel Claims at Fort Knox process all Claims for the Fort Campbell area. Please contact the Claim Center at 502-626-3000 or email notice of loss to

In order to file a claim, the following documents must be provided:

  • DD Form 1842 Claim for Loss of or Damage to Personal Property Incident to Service.
  • DD Form 1844 List of Property and Claims Analysis Chart.
  • DD Form 788. The form provided to the owner of the vehicle or his/her agent when the vehicle is delivered. (Damage claimed must be noted and verified by the carrier on the reverse side in order for the damage to be payable).
  • Orders -- Copy of your orders authorizing the shipment of the vehicle.
  • Power of Attorney -- For anyone not a proper party claimant, a power of attorney is required to file a claim on behalf of the proper claimant.
  • Estimates of Repair -- Two written estimates of repair from different firms, which must describe the damage and necessary repair work in detail (must be itemized). (If we determine that additional estimates are needed, we will inform you).
  • Insurance Affidavit -- Affirms that you have made and settled a claim with your insurance company as required or that no insurance existed which may cover your loss.  
  • Insurance Documents -- Copy of the insurance policy in effect at the time of the incident indicating coverage as well as the final settlement with your insurance company. (This includes a copy of any estimate done by the insurance company in determining settlement).
  • Proof of Vehicle Ownership -- Showing ownership of vehicle at time of incident (copy of registration or title).
  • Vehicle Inspection Sheet. Your vehicle must be inspected by personnel from the Claims Office before your claim is adjudicated. Repair of your vehicle without the approval of, or prior inspection by, the Claims Office may result in denial of your claim.

Statute of Limitations. In accordance with (IAW) AR 27-20, Chapter 11 and DA Pam 27-162, Chapter 2: The claim must be submitted within the two-year statute of limitations. The two-year period begins at date of incident. This two year time period is not waivable.

Claims Payable: Per AR 27-20, para. 11-5e(2), claims for damage arising as a result of mechanical or structural failure of the vehicle during shipment are not payable. For more information contact the Fort Knox Personnel Claims at 502-626-3000.

Associated Links

Community Legal Aid Services
Resources for community legal aid.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Army Legal Services
Resources for all family and service member issues.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline