printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Health Care/Special Needs

Military treatment facilities

The clinics and services available at military treatment facilities vary by location. Before you move, identify the military treatment facility that will serve you, visit its website to learn about the services available and get contact information.

Moving to a new TRICARE region

If you anticipate a move to another TRICARE region, work with your local TRICARE service center or case manager before your move to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible. On arrival at the new duty location, you or your sponsor should contact the beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinator or the TRICARE service center to ensure the transition plans are in place and to obtain authorizations for TRICARE Extended Care Health Option services, if applicable.

Beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinator

All TRICARE regional offices and most military treatment facilities are staffed with beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinators. They provide information, guidance and assistance on benefit options, TRICARE Prime enrollment, special authorizations, status of claims, eligibility and assistance with referrals and appointments. If you or your family member has more severe needs, contact your TRICARE case manager.

Case management

Case management involves a team of health care professionals who help you and your family find solutions to complex health problems. It is important to inform your case manager if you are moving as he or she will connect you with the case manager at your new location.

Extended Care Health Option

The Extended Care Health Option provides financial assistance to beneficiaries of active-duty service members who qualify based on specific mental or physical disabilities. The Extended Care Health Option offers an integrated set of services and supplies beyond the basic TRICARE program. Regional contractors in each of the TRICARE regions and overseas administer the program.

Transporting medical equipment

Contact your installation’s household goods/transportation office for information on special procedures for the transportation of medical equipment.

Federal and state health care programs

Medicaid provides health coverage for individuals and families with low incomes or have a disability. The department of social services or the department of medical assistance may administer the Medicaid program in your state. Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is a cash assistance program intended to meet basic needs for disabled adults and children who have limited resources. Families must reapply after moving to a new state.

Many states offer services for children with special health care needs funded by the Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant, or Title V. State departments of health websites and local health departments can provide information on state health benefits. The Maternal and Child Health Bureau website has more information, including state points of contact.

Other important resources

TRICARE debt collection assistance officers assigned to regional offices and military treatment facilities worldwide can help beneficiaries understand and get assistance with debt collection issues related to TRICARE.

Installation Specific Information

An exceptional Family Member is a Family Member (child or adult) with any physical, emotional, developmental, or intellectual disability who requires special treatment, therapy, education, training, or counseling. EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that is based on public law and Department of Defense mandates. Both Army Community Service Exceptional Family Member Program and Blanchfield Army Community Hospital’s EFMP program work collectively to provide support to EFMP Active Duty Family members.

The BACH program helps identify and document Active Duty Family members who have special health care, education or other support needs. The documentation assists in obtaining special support services and determines the impact of such needs on the Soldier's assignments. All Active Duty Soldiers with OCONUS assignments must schedule a medical records screening for each Family member. This screening must be completed before Family travel application can be processed. Appointments are scheduled when Soldiers attend their levy briefing or by calling 270-798-8830. BACH EFMP personnel will also assist you in finding the services needed within community hospitals and schools. EFMP enrollment does not guarantee assignment deletions, deferments or compassionate reassignments. All Soldiers are still eligible for worldwide assignments and enrollment will not guarantee that a Soldier will not serve an unaccompanied tour.

ACS Services Provided:

EFMP at ACS will assist you in finding the services needed within our installation and community including information and referral, relocation assistance, Special Needs Accommodation Process Team, respite care, support groups, monthly family events, Camp We Can, special events, advocacy, unit/FRG briefings and IEP information.

  • Information (medical services, medically related services, social services, educational, and support groups) on/off post
  • World-wide relocation information (National, state and local agencies)
  • Special Needs Resource Team (coordination and placement of children, youth and teens with special needs seeking Child and Youth Services programs
  • Provide liaison for special education rights and responsibilities on/off installation
  • Provide specialized training relating to special needs for Child and Youth Service personnel, military units and Family readiness groups
  • Special Needs/Autism Support Group for parents who have children with Special Needs
  • Special events (i.e., Two-week summer camp, holiday parties and cultural eve Respite care is available

System Navigation Services: A community support component of EFMP designed to connect Families with special needs, to the systems of care they need, on and off the installation.

Active Duty Army, Reserve and Guard Families are eligible for Systems Navigator assistance. All services are provided at no cost to Families. System Navigators are Army Community Service EFMP staff members employed at Fort Campbell and other installations. They are trained and knowledgeable about the systems of care used by Families with special needs. The Primary role of a System Navigator is to guide Families through the available systems of care.

For more information and assistance contact the ACS Exceptional Family Member Program 270-798-2727 or online.

Associated Links

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Army EFMP Program
Special needs specific information

Beneficiary Counseling Assistance Coordinator
A BCAC educates beneficiaries, and enhances a thorough understanding of TRICARE programs.

TRICARE Mobile App for Pharmacy Assistance
Check prescriptions status; order home delivery; find a pharmacy and more all from your phone. You must be registered before downloading the mobile app.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline