FISC Personal Property Office - Outbound
PSC 473 Box 11
FPO, AP 96349-0011

Phone 011-81-46-816-7061
Phone (DSN) 315-243-7061
Fax 011-81-46-816-5746
Fax (DSN) 315-243-5746

Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Wed 8:00 a.m.-3:00p.m.
Sat – Sun closed
Holidays - closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Shipping Pets

Pets are only allowed in limited rooms at the Navy Lodge and Navy Gateway Inns and Suites and cannot be guaranteed.

Prior to shipping or bringing a pet to Japan it is highly recommended that you make reservations for boarding at the NEX Kennel. The cost of the boarding is based on the type of pet along with the size. You or your Sponsor can contact the NEX Kennel for a reservation for pet boarding and specific prices. Reservations are accepted only in person or via phone to contact please call DSN 315-243-4530 or internationally 011-81-46-816-4530. The NEX Kennel is open 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Monday-Friday and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. If you will be arriving after hours, please contact the NEX Kennel in advance.


Research is the key word prior to shipping your pet to Japan. If you are flying here commercially not all airlines will accept pets for journey over a certain amount of hours. Each airline has their own rules, restrictions and fees. Fees are usually based on size of the crate and/or weight of the cargo (your pet). Most airlines have weather restrictions for both the hot and cold seasons, as said earlier do the research ahead of time to ensure your pet reaches Japan in a safe and timely manner.

If your pet will be traveling as checked luggage provide a sturdy, leak-proof crate (lined with absorbent material such as newspaper) that is large enough for the animal to stand, lie down, or turn around in, but not so large that the animal would be battered around in rough weather. Most U.S. carriers have shipping containers in various sizes available for purchase. However, shop early as they may not have all sizes in stock at the particular time you need one. Be sure to check with the airline for the cost of shipping your pet, in most cases there is always some type of charge, this is based specifically on the airline you will be traveling with. Also, be aware that there could be a charge for your pet even when taking an Air Mobility Command (AMC) flight. Other tips include:

  • Let your pet become accustomed to the crate before shipment by having practice sessions that build in time of confinement. Be sure the pet has a comfortable pad to lie on and a few familiar toys. A leash should also be included with the crate.
  • Put identification tags that include an emergency phone number around your pet's neck.
  • Print your name and destination address clearly on the shipping crate itself. Include your pet's name, so that attendants can talk with him/her. If the pet has special habits--or bites--also include that information. You might want to list this information in other languages, depending on the countries transited.
  • Carry a photo of your pet with you.
  • Feed your pet just a light meal about six hours before shipping--no water within two hours unless it is very hot (or the animal is very small). A water dish that is attached so it cannot tip should be provided, but it should be conveniently located to allow an attendant to provide water at stopovers without being bitten.
  • Send dry food along if the trip is long. If you send canned food, fasten an opener and dish to the crate in a cloth or mesh bag with feeding instructions clearly marked on the crate.
  • Do not tranquilize the animal without your veterinarian's approval.
  • Exercise your pet just before shipping so your animal will sleep better during the trip.
  • Check with the agent who meets the flight about your pet's progress when you are changing planes. Have your airway bill number readily available when doing this.
  • Allow plenty of time between connecting flights to be sure your animal is transferred to your flight if traveling with you.

Once you arrive in Narita and submit the Advance notification form as well as the Application for Pet Inspection, prior to arriving. If you arrive AMC to Yokota the notification forms are not necessary.

Pets may not be brought aboard the Navy shuttle buses/vans. If you will be arriving with your pet(s), you will need to coordinate with your sponsor at your gaining command for alternate transportation or contact the Public Works Transportation office to arrange for transportation of your pets to Yokosuka base.

FAST (Family Assistance Support Team) Transportation

Pets are not allowed on the CFAY Airport Shuttle Buses, you will utilize the FAST transportation. Your Sponsor can arrange transportation for you and your pets in the FAST office (Community Readiness Center Building/Building 3365 across from the Commissary on the 2nd floor, Room 225). This transportation can also be used if your flight lands after the 7:30 p.m. bus departs from Narita. A van can pick you up at Haneda, Narita, or Yokota. Your Sponsor can arrange transportation by contacting DSN 315- 243- 5770 or if you would like to arrange travel yourself, call from the USA is 011-81-46-816-5770.

NEX Taxi Chauffer Service

In addition to public works or your sponsor, the Yokosuka Navy Exchange operates a Taxi Chauffer (Van) Service. The NEX Chauffer Taxi Service provides transportation for a maximum of 6 passengers per van and their luggage every day of the week. If requiring early pick up (driver has to be on the road at 0600 or earlier) or late pick up (driver has to be on the road 2200 or later), add $30 to the fare. Available if needing one way transportation or round trip transportation. Please see options below.


Narita to Yokosuka/Yokosuka to Narita

$170 one way

Haneda to Yokosuka/Yokosuka to Haneda

$110 one way

Yokosuka to New Sanno/New Sanno to Yokosuka

$135 one way

Narita to New Sanno/New Sanno to Narita

$170 one way

To schedule a NEX Chauffer Taxi please email or call 315-243-4511 from a DSN line.


As of 6 June 2005, Japan began enforcing a quarantine program for import and export of animals and pets. As active duty military members, members of the civilian component and their respective dependents enter Japan under the US-Japan Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), US Forces Japan (USFJ) negotiated with the Government of Japan over how this new pet quarantine program affect SOFA status personnel. Because of USFJ and Japan function under the US-Japan SOFA, the new pet quarantine program applied to SOFA status personnel, the requirements published by the Government of Japan, the US State Department, the USDA, and the USFJ may conflict.

Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) quarantine inspectors and Public Health Command veterinarians will determine the length of each pet's quarantine period when the pet arrives in Japan. The quarantine periods will range up to 180 days. All quarantine guidelines, necessary import forms, and contact information may be found on the Japan District Veterinary Command website:

USFJ has been able to champion "Home Quarantine" as a concession for US SOFA personnel. This quarantine allows service members to maintain their pets in their own custody within their assigned on-base quarters during the assessed quarantine period. Personnel who are most affected are SOFA members who are required to live in off-base housing. If a quarantine period is assessed, military members who live off-base will be required to pay for quarantine boarding expenses for their pets in on-base kenneling facilities or incur the significant expense of quarantining their pet at the Airport Animal Quarantine Station facility.

Service members who may be required to kennel their pets for up to 180 days will incur a tremendous cost. The JFTR and the JTR provide limited reimbursement for quarantine costs for service members ($550) and DoD civilians ($500 to $1,000), respectively.

The Government of Japan (GOJ) Animal Quarantine Service (AQS) determines quarantine requirements for all animals entering Japan. THE AUTHORITY for information about pet import to Japan for SOFA-sponsored personnel is the Public Health Command. If you plan to bring your pet(s) to Japan obtain the latest PET IMPORT requirements and details from the web link posted in the Public Health Command District - Japan website. Always contact your sponsor or your gaining command at Yokosuka ASAP and let them know you plan to bring your pet(s). FFSC Yokosuka and the Yokosuka Housing Office are NOT the authority for pet import. However, we will do our best to assist you to make contact with the service providers who ARE.

Notice!!! ANY in-home quarantine of our pets is a PRIVILEGE that MAY be granted to us by the GOJ. Animals not meeting entrance requirements MAY be placed in a kennel quarantine at the owner's expense for up to 180 days. Japanese government quarantine is VERY EXPENSIVE. Follow the basic preparation and documentation instructions provided by the Public Health Command and save yourself any unnecessary expense.

NOTE: Mandatory pet quarantine fees incurred by U.S. service members in connection with the mandatory quarantine of a household pet are reimbursable, not to exceed $550 per PCS move for pets in, or entering into, quarantine on and after 28 DEC 2001. (Ref. JFTR, par. U5805.)

Vaccinations, Licensing and Registration

1. Animals that are found to be disease free will be released to the owner's custody, subject to the following restrictions:

a. Three (3) copies of the rabies vaccination certificate (DD208, the original and two copies) must accompany the animal during transit. The rabies vaccination must have been administered more than 30 days but less than 365 days prior to the animal's entry into Japan.

b. An animal that is less than 90 days old does not require a rabies vaccination, but will be placed in a Japanese or U.S. Forces quarantine facility. Upon reaching 90 days of age, the animal will be given a rabies vaccination and kept in a quarantine facility for a period of 30 days. After 30 days time, the animal will be released to the owner for a required "home quarantine." (Note: Quarantine in Japanese facilities will be at the owner's expense.) Please refer to the web site above or at the end of this section, for the latest information of pet quarantine periods.

c. Three (3) copies of the health certificate (DD2209, the original and two copies) must also accompany the animal during transit. The veterinarian who examines your pet issues this certificate, which must be dated within ten days before the animal's arrival into Japan.

d. Important! If the rabies vaccination and/or the health certificates are obtained from an off-base or civilian veterinarian, you must take the original rabies certificate/health certificate to a Field Office of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). A USDA veterinarian must sign both certificates and place the USDA stamp on the back of each copy. The signature without the stamp is not valid for entry into Japan. Failure to have certificates stamped will result in quarantine until the stamp is obtained via U.S. Mail. GOJ authorities will not recognize an individual (state) department of agriculture stamp. The stamp must be USDA!

2. Companion animals arriving in Japan aboard commercial aircraft:

a. Companion animals that enter at a Japanese airport are to be picked up at the airport and processed through the Japanese Animal Quarantine Service at the airport.

b. Before the animal can be processed by the Animal Quarantine Service Personnel, the owner or authorized representative (via Special Power of Attorney) must fill out a Form 380EJ "Customs Free Import and Export of Cargo" or "Customs Declaration of Personal Property." This form is available at the Customs Check Point upon entry.

c. Upon arrival at the Animal Quarantine Counter the Japanese personnel will initiate a Pet Quarantine and Examination Certificate (Form MDJ-270). Pet owners or their authorized representative (via Special Power of Attorney) must be able to provide the following information: military address (duty station), rank/rate, duty phone and temporary address

d. You will be required to sign this form stating you will present your pet for quarantine examination following the required period of "Home Quarantine" at a U.S. Forces Veterinary Office. Failure to present the animal for quarantine release may result in a fine of up to 50,000 Japanese yen (at 115 yen to the U.S. dollar, this is approximately $435.00).

IAW COMFLEACTINST 6200.1N, cats and dogs at Yokosuka require microchip implants. Japan currently allows all types of dog/cat breeds, no breed restrictions. For the best and most up-to-date information on importing your pets into Japan, be sure to visit the Army Pet Shipment website or contact your local military veterinary clinic.

Veterinary Services

Yokosuka Branch Veterinary Services have a group of military and civilian veterinary professionals committed to providing quality and affordable veterinary care to the Military Working Dogs (MWDs), family pets, and Pets Are Worth Saving (PAWS) adoption candidates on Yokosuka Naval Base.

Their hospital is not just for dogs and cats. However, you'll be surprised to learn that we also provide care for birds, reptiles and pocket pets such as rabbits, chinchillas, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs, not to mention an occasional coy The veterinary services include:

  • Anesthesia
  • Dental Services
  • Dermatology
  • Emergency and Critical Care Medicine
  • General Medicine
  • Immunizations
  • Laboratory Services
  • Ophthalmology
  • Pharmacy (including Prescription Diets)
  • Radiology
  • Surgery
  • Pet importation requirements (pre/post arrival)

The vet services can provide you with a list of Japanese veterinarians and teaching hospitals should your pet's medical condition exceed our capability, they have a referral system to the Japan community. If your pet has an emergency after regular business hours, call the appointment number and you will be given the Veterinary Corps Officer duty phone number. If the Veterinary Corps Officer is not available, please consult the list of off-base veterinarians given to you at your registration appointment. This list is intended to give you options but is not an official endorsement by the Department of Defense or the Public Health Command. Vet services can be contacted at DSN 315-243-6820, internationally at 011-81-816-6820 or on the Veterinary clinic website.

Associated Links
Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on by watching the video presentation, "What's on"

USDA Pet Inspection Service
Contains information on pet quarantines and traveling with pets.

UK Pet Quarantine
Information necessary to bring Pets to the UK. The United Kingdom does have a “Dangerous Dog Act” which imposes restrictions on certain breeds and imposes stringent rule should the breeds be brought in country.

Shipping Pets to Japan
Information on quarantine and shipping pets to Japan

Korean National Quarantine Station
Information on quarantine and shipping pets to South Korea

Hawaii Quarantine Procedures
Information on pet quarantines for Hawaii.

Navy Household Goods Website
Household Goods provides information for Navy and Marines service members and civilians who need to move their household goods.

Traveling Tips for Persons with Disabilities
Find information on air travel.

TSA Service Animal Information
Find information about traveling with service animals on planes.

Navy Household Goods Channel
Subscribe to the Navy HHG’s YouTube channel for informational videos on DPS, and other household goods subjects.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline