Relocation Assistance Program
PSC 473 Box 116
FPO, AP 96349-0116

Phone 011-81-46-816-3372
Phone (DSN) 315-243-3372
Fax 011-81-46-816-9604
Fax (DSN) 315-243-9604

Mon Tue Wed and Fri 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thu 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Sat – Sun - closed
Holidays - closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Relocation Assistance

Programs and Services

If you are approaching a permanent change of station, or PCS, you may have questions about your upcoming move. As part of the Military and Family Support Center, the relocation assistance program provides services and resources to help make this transition as smooth as possible. Below is a listing of resources.

  • PCS planning — Most relocation assistance programs offer counseling/consultations to assist in the moving process. Those making their first military move, those making their first overseas move or those with challenging or complex situations should contact their installation relocation assistance office as soon as possible for information and assistance.
  • MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and Military OneSource — For managing and planning your move, you may want to take advantage of these Department of Defense-sponsored online resources and tools.
  • Loan Closet — Loan Closet offers basic household goods while your personal property is in transit. Typical items include pots and pans, dishes, silverware, irons, ironing boards and infant or toddler car seats. Generally, towels and bed linens are not available, so these should be packed in your express shipment. This service varies by service and installation.
  • Workshops and briefings — Workshops vary from installation to installation, but you may find classes on housing options, moving with children, moving with pets or general moving preparation and resources.
  • Pre-departure briefings — These briefings may be called Smooth Move or PCS Briefing and provide essential information about your next duty station. These briefings can be critical in setting you up for success during the transition to your next duty station.
  • Settling-in services — Welcome Wagon services or local area tours may be a part of your installation’s settling-in services. Overseas arrival services may include introductory language classes and cultural awareness training.
  • Foreign-born spouse support — Whether you have questions or concerns about immigration and naturalization, learning the English language or how to use local transportation, the relocation program provides assistance, classes and referrals.
  • Emergency assistance — From time to time, emergencies occur while moving. The Relocation Assistance Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.

Programs and services may vary across the installations.

Installation Specific Information

Relocation to any overseas duty assignment requires much pre-planning and, as necessary, family cooperation and involvement. Children are particularly affected by the stresses and changes involved with a major move, and their needs must not be overlooked. All family members should become active players in the relocation effort. Even single Sailors need to be aware of their needs and expectations when ordered to an overseas assignment. 

We can not stress enough how important is it to request a Sponsor from your gaining command. Your Sponsor will be your eyes and ears in Yokosuka and will assist in a smooth transition to the, "Land of the Rising Sun." If you haven't been assigned a Sponsor yet please see the Major Unit Listing to request one.

Please contact the School Liaison Officer at to sign-up for the Youth Sponsorship Program.

Make an appointment with your local FFSC Work and Family Life Consultant for individual planning tips and assistance. At Yokosuka Navy Base, primary relocation assistance and referral is available at the FFSC. If you are interested in finding out more about Yokosuka, check out their electronic Welcome Aboard Package online at

The Newcomer's Program at FFSC offers a series of required workshops that you are mandated to attend. It includes: Area Orientation Brief (1 1/2 days) and Intercultural Relations (ICR) training (3 1/2days) to become familiar with Yokosuka Naval Base and Japan.   

COMNAVFORJAPAN Instruction 1740.5 and COMFLEACTYOKOSUKA Instruction 1740.3B both state that "Attendance at AOB/ICR is mandatory for all newly arrived Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) sponsored personnel, including adult family members permanently assigned within the Yokosuka area. Additionally, attendance at AOB/ICR is required prior to personnel being issued a driver's license (USFJ Form 4EJ or OF Form 346)." Paragraph 3.a.3 of the CFAY Instruction modifies this mandate by providing the following exemption:  "...personnel previously assigned to permanent duty in mainland Japan within the last five years are required to attend only the AOB and Driver's Safety portions of the training...".

Other programs that FFSC offers during your initial period of adjustment are Enjoying Japanese Foods, Family Employment Readiness Program, Stress Management and more.

Ask our Work & Family Life consultants which program(s) can assist you best during your visit. Your Installation Work & Family Life Consultants can help you with: 

  • Determining your PCS allowances and entitlements 
  • Overseas Tour PCS Class
  • Getting help with planning your move 
  • Obtaining information on your new location

There are certain documents/records that you need to bring for your check-in processing. Be sure you don't pack these items in your Household Goods Shipment: copies of orders, family entry approval letter, passports, dental and medical records, school records, etc.

Contact your Yokosuka Housing Referral Office representative, who will assist you in locating, contacting and communicating with rental agencies for off base housing. You can also put your name on the waiting list for on-base housing.

Inquire at the Personal Property Office about the status of your inbound household goods and make arrangements for delivery once you have found a rental house. During delivery of your household goods, tell the movers where you want your things to be placed. Carefully check your belongings and note in the inventory any missing or damaged items for future claim.

Will you be transitioning from the military at the end of your tour in Japan? The time to start making transition plans is now, before you leave the States. Visit your local Transition Assistance Office for separation information prior to your departure.

After your arrival in Japan, stop by the Yokosuka Transition Assistance Office, located at the Fleet & Family Support Center, to continue the process toward a successful transition. FFSC's Transition staff can assist you with career planning, resume preparation, job search skills, and much more.  For more information, contact FFSC at DSN 315-243-3372, internationally at 011-81-816-3372 or the FFSC website.

Associated Links

Military OneSource
Provides access to 24/7 counseling, information and referral for service families, and if relocating, search for Culture Grams that can provide useful information about your new duty location.

Military Youth on the Move
Answers to military children and teen concerns.

Military Child Education Coalition
Provides information and resources on military education needs.

Transition GPS
Official web site for verification of military service for transitioning service members.

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

Department of Defense-sponsored website for kids impacted by the deployment of parents and caregivers.

USA4 Military Families
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline