printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Legal Assistance

Legal Assistance

Legal Services Hours of Operation

  • Office Hours -- Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
  • Notary/Power of Attorney Hours --Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
  • Legal Assistance Walk-In Hours --Tuesday 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
  • Defense Walk-In Hours --Thursday 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
  • Wills done by appointment.
  • Lawyer travels to Atsugi for scheduled appointments every first Wednesday of the month
  • Office closed second Wednesday of every month.

Legal Services

Naval Legal Service Office Pacific's mission is to provide comprehensive legal support to Navy commands and service members throughout Japan and the Western Pacific area of responsibility. Legal Assistance is available to all eligible clients with personal civil matters.  Our services may include advice, analysis, research, negotiation, notary and/or document review or preparation. 

We can provide information on:

  • Bankruptcy
  • Landlord-tenant and foreclosure
  • Domicile and residency issues
  • Military rights and benefits
  • Divorce and separation
  • Adoption
  • Paternity
  • Child and/or spousal support
  • Consumer law issues
  • Debtor/creditor law
  • Income tax
  • Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act, and
  • Wills and estate planning.

Also, our Japanese Legal Advisor can advise on Japanese law, including divorce, immigration, adoption and consumer issues.

Eligibility for Services

Individuals eligible for our services, in order of priority, are: Active Duty service members and their dependants, Military Retirees and their dependents, Reservists on Active Duty for 30 days or more, and Reservists requiring mobilization services (wills, living wills, health care POA only) whether or not activated for 30 days or more.  Resource permitting, we may provide services to Navy and DOD Civilians (and their dependants) who have been hired in the US (non-local hires) who have a copy of their travel orders.  We may also provide services for individuals who are private Contractors for the Navy if the contact provides for legal services and they have a copy of the contract. An ID check is performed at the legal assistance check-in counter.

You can contact NLSO at DSN 315-243-5141, internationally at 011-81-816-5141 or at the NLSO website.

Household Goods Claims Services

NLSO no longer handles HHG claims please review the following information for claims services available to you. 

70 Days from Delivery -- You must deliver the DD Form 1840/1840R (Notice of Loss or Damage) to your local Personal Property Office or if mailed, it must be received by the Personal Property Office within 70 days of delivery of your household goods or your claim will be reduced or denied. At the time of delivery, you should have been provided with three copies of the DD Form 1840 (Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery) on which you noted any obvious damage or missing items and signed the form. On the reverse side of the DD Form 1840 is the DD Form 1840R. The Government will dispatch the form to the responsible commercial carrier. As agreed upon between the commercial carrier industry and the Armed Services, loss of or damage to household goods discovered and reported by the member more than 70 calendar days after delivery will be presumed not to have occurred while the goods were in possession of the carrier. The money the Government could have recovered from the commercial carrier must be deducted from the amount payable on your claim. This is why your failure to provide timely notice can result in a reduction of the amount payable to you or the denial of your claim.

Two Years from Date of Delivery -- Federal law requires that you deliver your claim packet within two years after it accrues.  For household goods shipments, the claim accrues on the date of delivery. This requirement is statutory.

Additional Information

Taking the time to correctly complete the attached claims package and provide the Government with the evidence it needs to pay you and recover those funds from the responsible carrier will ensure a quick response to your claim.

If you need copies of forms referred to in this package, please make them yourself before you file your claim. The claims office does not have a copy machine available for public use.

Claims for loss of or damage to Household Goods and unaccompanied baggage shipped or stored at government expense.  More information may be viewed online

Associated Links

Community Legal Aid Services
Resources for community legal aid.

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

Navy Legal Services -- Provide claims and renting advice.
Provides access to legal services.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline