printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Health Care

Moving with TRICARE

When you move, TRICARE moves with you. It's there before, during and when you get to your next duty station. It's available worldwide. There are steps you need to take to make sure changes to your TRICARE coverage go smoothly. With your move, you may have to use a different TRICARE option.

Visit Moving to learn more.

Getting care along the way

Before you move, you should take care of any routine medical needs, including immunizations, and fill your prescriptions so you have enough while traveling. If you need to get care during your move, visit Getting Care When Traveling to learn what to do.

Filling prescriptions while traveling

You should get all prescriptions refilled before traveling. But if you run out of a prescription drug while traveling, visit Filling Prescriptions When Traveling.

Getting dental care while traveling

Getting dental care while traveling depends on your location and whether you are a service member or family member.

  • If you are an active-duty service member within the United States or in U.S. territories, and near a military installation, you may be able to get emergency dental care at the dental treatment facility, or DTF, if available. If not, contact the active duty dental care program before you see a dentist and tell the contractor about your move. You will need to get an authorization before you see a dentist. The Active Duty Dental Care Program will work with you, so you can get care from a local network dentist.
  • If you are an active-duty service member at an overseas location, you can call the overseas regional call center to get authorization before you see a civilian dentist.
  • If you are an active-duty family member within the United States, in U.S. territories or at an overseas location, you can find out if any nearby military dental treatment facility treats active-duty family members. If you're enrolled in the TRICARE dental program, call the TRICARE dental program contractor or visit their website to find a provider. You will need to get an authorization before you see the dentist.

Permanent change of station for active-duty service members

With permanent change of station orders, ask for a copy of your medical and dental records from your military treatment facility, or MTF, records section and the dental treatment facility, or DTF. Do this at least one month before your permanent change of station date. The MTF should also transfer a copy of your record and any family records to your new duty station or you may be able to hand carry them to your new duty station.

If you want someone else to be able to get medical or dental information on you or your family while you are moving, you need to complete a DD Form 2870, "Authorization for Disclosure of Medical or Dental Information."

For more information on getting copies of medical records, visit Request Copies of Medical Records.

Installation Specific Information

Medical Care

TRICARE Pacific -- It is very important to ensure that your family members enroll in TRICARE Pacific upon arrival. To enroll, stop by the TRICARE Service Center and you will be provided information about the TRICARE Pacific program bldg. 1400  or by calling DSN 315-243-7144 or 011-81-46-816-7144. We also encourage you to update DEERs with your new address information.   DO NOT disenroll from your local TRICARE service region prior to transfer!  You may have to seek care in route to your next duty station.

United States Naval Hospital, Yokosuka (USNH) serves military and DoD civilian personnel throughout mainland Japan. In addition to the hospital in Yokosuka, USNH has branch clinics at Sasebo, Iwakuni, Atsugi, Yokohama (Negishi), Chinhae (Korea), and at Camp Zama Army Base.

The USNH staff includes several Medical and Surgical specialists. Some specialized non-elective treatment is beyond the capability of the Naval Hospital and patients must sometimes be sent to the U.S. via the Medical Air Evacuation (MEDEVAC) System or to Japanese hospitals for treatment.

Anyone with major medical problems or chronic illnesses such as asthma, diabetes or psychiatric disorders should not be allowed to travel to Japan. People with asthma, for example, can suffer terribly in the polluted atmosphere of the Tokyo area. Some cases are often aggravated by the occasionally high seasonal pollen count.  Please mention this health issues during your Overseas Medical Screening process along with what EFMP category you may be in. 

Emergency Care -- The hospital on Yokosuka base staffs a 24-hour-a-day Emergency Room (ER) which dispatches ambulances on base and off base for bonafide emergencies. They can be contacted at DSN 315-243-5137 or internationally at 011-81-46-5137. The ER sees patients by triage; patients are evaluated on arrival and will be seen based on the severity of their medical needs. For their safety and the safety of other patients, unattended children who are not patients should not be brought to the hospital.

Dental Care

Branch Dental Clinic, Yokosuka is co-located with Headquarters, United States Naval Dental Center (USNDC) Far East. The Dental Clinic is located on the second floor of the U.S. Naval Hospital, Yokosuka, Building E-1400. You may reach the clinic at DSN 315-243-8808 or internationally at 011-81-46-816-8808.

This clinic treats shore-based active duty personnel and command sponsored family members of both fleet and shore personnel stationed in the Yokosuka area. Active Duty personnel attached to ships without dental facilities on board receive general dentistry care at the Fleet Dental Annex in the Fleet Recreation Center bldg. 3008 and may be referred to the Branch Clinic for specialty care.

Clinic Hours -- Normal hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Morning and afternoon sick calls are held for diagnosis and treatment of dental problems. In addition, a dental officer is on call for true dental emergencies which occur after-hours.

Dental Records -- To expedite the check-in process, it is recommended that all family members acquire a complete military dental record during the overseas screening process prior to transfering overseas.

In the event some specialties are not available at the Military Treatment Facility they may be available in the local Japanese community at costs which fluctuate with the dollar-yen exchange rate. TRICARE maintains a list of doctors and dentists to refer you too that are part of the TRICARE system in the surrounding communities.

Associated Links

DS Logon (formerly DEERS)
TRICARE beneficiaries can electronically link to their medical records, pay and human resource systems and other websites.

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

Beneficiary Counseling Assistance Coordinator
A BCAC educates beneficiaries, and enhances a thorough understanding of TRICARE programs.

TRICARE Mobile App for Pharmacy Assistance
Check prescriptions status; order home delivery; find a pharmacy and more all from your phone. You must be registered before downloading the mobile app.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline