Housing Office - Housing Services Center
PSC 473 Box 215
FPO, AP 96349-0215

Phone 011-81-46-816-4663 / 011-81-46-816-9037
Phone (DSN) 315-243-4663/9037

Mon – Fri 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
1st Wed of month 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Sat – Sun closed
Holidays - closed

Email | Website Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Government Housing

Family Housing


Military Family Housing (MFH) availability changes daily and may be dependent upon factors such as family size, rank, extensions of individuals' tour lengths, promotions, and changes in waiting lists due to changes in the number or age of family members. If you have a family member with special needs please be sure to notate that on the DD 1746 Housing Application, you ensure your housing unit/area can meet that special need.

All newly arriving eligible personnel will be provided a list of units available for immediate assignment (if any) in their respective eligibility category. The selection of a unit must be made from these housing availability lists by the close of the next business day after the list is provided. If no quarters are available in the respective eligibility category, military applicants will be placed on a wait list and authorized to move off-base with full Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA). When adequate MFH is refused by eligible uniformed members and/or civilian members required to live on-base (Key and Essential personnel), Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Living Quarters Allowance (LQA), respectively, shall be disallowed. Civilians are not required to participate in the MFH process, and may live off-base with housing allowances authorized. DoD civilian employees will normally rely on the local community for their housing needs. MFH assignment for civilians is limited to categories that have less than 90% occupancy and as long as civilian occupancy makes up no more than 10% of reported MFH inventory. No waiting lists will be maintained for civilians. Personnel with dogs please be aware that two dogs per family are permitted in townhouses and first and second floor units in towers.

Military Family Housing (MFH) at Yokosuka and Ikego Hills areas total 2,564 homes and apartments. They all differ widely in age, construction, and layout. Attendance at the Newcomer's Brief is mandatory in order to receive assistance from the Housing Services Center (HSC) staff. MFH is either recently constructed modern town houses and high-rise apartments, or quarters built by the Japanese Government during 1946-1947 that are structurally sound which have been renovated over the years. Kitchen and bathroom areas are small, and closet space is limited.

All MFH units are furnished with household appliances such as refrigerator, electric cooking stove, microwave oven, washer, dryer and dishwasher. Accordingly, it is suggested not to bring your own appliances with your household goods. There are no basements, usable attics, garages or carports in family housing. Although government quarters are not luxurious, they provide comfortable living environment.


a. Department of Defense (DoD) employees. Military personnel on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and DoD civilians, including Naval Air Facility (NAF) employees, on a transportation agreement with accompanying bonafide family members are eligible for Military Family Housing (MFH). Eligibility does not ensure availability of or assignment to MFH. Bona-fide family members must have command sponsorship approval and reside with the sponsor for nine consecutive months or more per 365 day period. Divorced or legally separated members must also have legal and physical custody of bonafide family members. For the purposes of this instruction, the term “Bona-fide Family Member” means:

(1) A spouse;

(2) An unmarried child (including a stepchild and adopted child that is otherwise a bonafide member of applicant’s family) who is either under 21 years of age; or is incapable of self-support because of physical or mental challenges and is, in fact, dependent on the applicant for one-half of their support; or is unmarried under 23 years of age and pursuing full time course of education and is dependent on applicant for one-half of their support.

(3) A parent (including a step-parent who has stood in loco parentis to the applicant at any time for five consecutive years before the applicant turned 21 years of age) that: is listed as a family member on Page Two of the member’s service record; is command sponsored; is in fact dependent on the applicant for over one-half of their support; and actually resides with the applicant for nine months out of a year.

(4) Parents and/or parents-in-law who are ordinarily resident in Japan if the sponsor provides more than half of their support.

b. Newly Acquired Family Members. Military and eligible DoD civilian personnel who become eligible for MFH after their arrival because of a newly acquired command sponsored family member, who will reside with the sponsor for nine consecutive months or more per 365 day period during the sponsor’s tour, may apply for MFH.

c. Service Member Married to Each Other. When two family members are members of DoD and have no other bonafide family members, and are not stationed at the same or adjacent installations within the same geographic area (one hour commute), they are not eligible for assignment to MFH. They would become eligible for assignment upon official notification of co-location. Exception: When one member is stationed at Naval Air Facility (NAF), Atsugi and the active duty spouse is stationed at Yokosuka, the member may be assigned housing at Ikego (not Yokosuka) or Atsugi, but not both. They may not simultaneously apply for MFH at both installations.

d. Active Duty Single Parent. An individual serving an accompanied tour who is unmarried, divorced, separated or widowed and is accompanied by bonafide family members with command sponsorship who will reside with the sponsor for nine or more consecutive months per 365 day period during the sponsor’s tour is eligible for MFH. Divorced or separated members must have legal and physical custody of bonafide family members for at least nine consecutive months per 365 day period during the sponsor’s tour. A single parent who requires a live-in childcare provider must submit a written request in accordance with reference (m) of this instruction.

e. Single, Pregnant Service Member. Unmarried, pregnant service members will be assigned MFH upon notification being received by the Housing Services Center (HSC) of the pregnancy. Should the pregnancy status change after occupancy, the member will be required to vacate MFH and return to Unaccompanied Housing (UH) or off-base residency.

f. American Red Cross (ARC). Members in grade ARC 34 or higher and accompanied with bonafide family members having command sponsorship and residing with the sponsor for nine consecutive months or more per 365 day period may be eligible for MFH on a space available basis only.

Application Procedures

Attend a housing brief for all personnel (military and civilian) is held daily at 8:05 a.m. , Monday through Friday in the Yokosuka Housing Services Center. (Note: There is no housing brief on the first Wednesday of the month or on holidays.) Attendance at the Newcomer's Brief is required prior to receiving housing services at the Yokosuka Housing Services Center!



(1) DD Form 1746 (Application for assignment to housing)

(1) DD Form 1746 (Application for assignment to housing)

(2) PCS Orders

(2) SF50

(3) #1 Detaching endorsement NAVCOMPT 3067 from last permanent command

(3) Orders (1614)

(4) Family Entry Approval

(4) Transportation agreement (1617)

(5) Newly married will need proof of marriage and command sponsorship letter

A completed DD Form 1746 can be sent prior to your arrival in Japan, this will not change your control date but will start your housing request process. Proper documentation must be submitted prior to accepting quarters. Contact the CFAY Housing Services Center at DSN 315-243-4663 or internationally 011-81-816-4663 or online.

Other Options - Yokosuka has no Public Private Venture (PPV) or mobile homes available but housing does offer the Rental Partnership Program (RPP). RPP is designed to help military and DoD civilian personnel and their families find affordable, secure, quality off-base rental property. The program is available to anyone entitled to the CFAY housing referral service, which includes a wide variety of Department of Defense personnel and their families. Units meet all CFAY off-base housing acceptability criteria, including hot and cold running water, screens on all windows, sufficient electricity, parking and proximity to Commander, Fleet Activities, Yokosuka. If you are interested in RPP please contact the CFAY Housing Services Center.

Single Service Member Housing


CNFJ and CFAY are committed to improving the quality of life for Sailors by providing Bachelor Housing ashore for afloat unit E4 (under four-years of service) and below Sailors through partnerships with afloat commands.


2200 berthing spaces are available for "fair share" distribution among all Afloat units. Fair hare distribution is reviewed quarterly.


Each Afloat Command defines specific requirements and assigns their own Sailors to allotted spaces. Off-Ship berthing spaces are treated as a privilege for Outstanding Sailors. Common items include:


  1. No NJP or adverse administrative actions within past 12 months.
  2. Achieved minimum Shipboard Qualifications (ie. Basic DC, etc.).
  3. Completed Command INDOC / Financial Counseling.
  4. Minimum of six months in AOR.


Application Procedures

For more information on the application procedures for the "Homeport Ashore" program please contact your gaining command.

Associated Links

CFAY Housing
Military Family Housing (MFH) information

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. »

MilitaryOneSource.mil, No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline