printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

College/Technical Training

Installation Education Center

Navy College Office Yokosuka invites you to visit so they can help you prepare for your educational and career goals. The program offers a variety of resources and programs to get you started in furthering your education. Navy College is located in the Fleet Recreation Center, Room 347. They can be contacted at DSN 315-243-8131 or internationally 011-81-46-816-8131. You can also visit the Navy College Program website for more information.

The Navy College Office Yokosuka is open weekdays, from 0730-1500.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is the Navy's educational financial assistance program. It provides active duty personnel funding for tuition costs for courses taken in an off-duty status at a college, university or vocational/technical institution, whose regional or national accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Please check with your Navy College Office to find out if your school holds the proper accreditation. In addition, the institution must be a signatory of the DoD MOU. A list of signatory institutions is available on the DoD website. Navy TA pays for both classroom and independent study/distance learning courses. Associate, bachelor and master's courses must be offered in Semester Hours or Quarter Hours (NAVADMIN 105/10). Certificate programs must be approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs, (NAVADMIN305/12). The credit earned must show on the institution's transcript.

Navy Tuition Assistance pays up-front tuition charged by educational institutions for course enrollments. Navy TA pays 100% of tuition costs for courses applicable to the completion of a high school diploma or equivalency certificate. For other education levels, there is a fiscal year credit limit of 16 Semester Hours, 24 Quarter Hours or 240 Clock Hours (or a combination of) per individual.

Payment for tuition will not exceed the following caps:

$250.00 per semester hour

$166.67 per quarter hour

$16.67 per clock hour (for approved certificate/diploma programs only)

To be eligible for TA, you will need to complete the online WebTA training (in MyEducation) and the Higher Education Preparation Course (in JKO), submit your degree plan to the NCO, and complete degree plan counseling with an NCO counselor.

Navy College Program for Afloat College Education (NCPACE)

NCPACE courses are available to Sailors in sea-going UICs 2 and 4. NCPACE offers participating Sailors high quality learning opportunities and experiences from post-secondary institutions accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education. The objective of NCPACE is to provide shipboard personnel with educational opportunities comparable to those available to shore duty personnel. Tuition is funded 100% for Instructor Led courses, and the Distance Learning program is included in the same limits and caps as listed above for TA. Students are responsible for the cost of textbooks and related materials.

The Navy has contracted with Central Texas College (CTC) to administer the NCPACE Instructor-Led program. NCPACE IL is taught by resident instructors. NCPACE DL courses are provided to sailors in CD-ROM format. NCPACE offers academic skills (IL only) and undergraduate/graduate courses. Degree opportunities are available at the associate, bachelor's and master's degree levels. All IL courses are provided by CTC. DL courses can be offered by any school that has signed the DOD MOU, and has opted to create the set-format course. A current catalog of schools and courses can be found under the NCPACE tab of your MyEducation account.

Contact your Education Services Officer for more information about upcoming terms for your Command or to express interest in getting a program started.


In the Navy College Office, we offer testing for the Defense Language program (DLAB, DLPT, and OPI), SAT, and ACT. You may call (243-8131), email ( or come in to schedule an appointment. Visit the DANTES website for more information about the SAT and ACT tests. The SAT is given the 1st Wednesday of the month, ACT the 3rd Wednesday, and the DLAB/DLPT the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays.

Visit the JKO or DANTES websites for test preparation.

University of Maryland University College houses Yokosuka’s National Test Center. They offer CLEP, DSST, Pearson Vue, Microsoft Certification, Excelsior College, and selected DANTES computer-based exams. They also provide a proctoring service for third-party exams. For more information on the NTC services, please contact them at DSN 241-4216 or

Joint Service Transcript

JST is the Joint Services Transcript that has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member's military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations.

The JST provides a description of military schooling and work history in civilian language. It serves as a counseling tool for academic and career counselors in advising service members and veterans. It serves as an aid in preparing resumes and explaining Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard and Navy work experience to civilian employers. It also saves time and money by potentially awarding academic credits, which means less tuition to pay and less time spent in the classroom.

You may obtain an unofficial copy or your official JST by visiting the JST website or the Navy College Office. Official JSTs are exactly the same as unofficial JSTs, but they are sent directly to an institution. Since they are never in an individual’s possession they can be accepted by an institution. You should review a copy of your transcript BEFORE requesting it be sent to an institution. This will allow you to have any changes made and provide the most accurate, up-to-date information on your experience and training.


Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) – Embry Riddle offers several Associate, Bachelor, and Master degree program. A complete schedule of courses to be offered and degree plans are available through ERAU’s field office. Please contact DSN 241-4880 or for more information.

University of Maryland University College (UMUC) - University of Maryland University College offers several Associate and Bachelor degree programs, a Master’s in Business Administration, and the Bridge program for English Language Learners. A complete schedule of courses to be offered and degree plans are available through the UMUC’s field office. Please contact them at DSN 243-4613 or

Associated Links

Financial Aid Information
Information on scholarships, financial aid and colleges.

GI Bill®
Details on benefits for service members.

USA4 Military Families
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline