printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Check-in Procedures

Travel Planning

Temporary Lodging Reservations

While single members may report almost immediately to their parent commands or get temporary billeting in the Bachelors Enlisted Quarters/ Bachelors Officers Quarters (BEQ/BOQ), families will most likely stay at the Yokosuka Navy Lodge or Navy Gateway Inns and Suites. If on base lodging is full, it is important to get the letter of non-availability to get reimbursed for staying at a hotel off base.

Yokosuka Navy Lodge

You or your Sponsor can make reservations for the Yokosuka Navy Lodge upon receipt of your PCS orders to Japan. Keep them up-to-date in the event of orders modifications (ORDMOD) or other travel changes. Maintain communication with your sponsor regarding this matter. You can make a reservation for your family for up to 30 days by calling the Navy Lodge at 800-628-9466. Reservations can be modified or cancelled at any time up to 1800 on the day of arrival. The direct number to the Yokosuka Navy Lodge is 315-243-6708 or 011-81-46-816-6708 if calling from the United States. You can make reservations at the Navy Gateway Inns and Suites by calling 315-243-7317 or 011-81-46-7317 from the United States.

Central Billeting Office

The Central Billeting Office is located in the BEQ building #3333 across the street from the Personnel Support Department (PSD) building #1555. All buses from the airports stop just outside the lobby door of the PSD building. The Central Billeting Office is open 24 hours and handles all BEQ reservations and assignments. All major credit cards are accepted. The BEQ can be contacted DSN 315-243-5569 or internationally 011-81-46-816-5569 or the Department of Defense Lodging homepage.

Bachelors Officer QuartersThe BOQ is located just inside the main gate of Yokosuka Navy base, or about 300 meters from the airport bus stop at PSD. The BOQ is open 24 hours and accepts all major credit cards. The BOQ can be contacted DSN 315-243-5685 or internationally 011-81-46-816-5685 or the Department of Defense Lodging homepage.

Command Sponsorship
To have command sponsorship, family members moving to Yokosuka must have been approved for Family Entry Approval and must be listed on the sponsor's official PCS orders or amendments. Family members not on official orders can only enter the country on a 90-day tourist visa. Family members that are not command sponsored do not have privileges to use base housing and base schools. Family members must be command sponsored in order for the sponsor to receive financial and housing benefits associated with an "accompanied" status.

Reporting Procedures

Checking in differs for various commands this is where having a sponsor will help you tremendously. Prior to arriving contact your sponsor or command for information on specific reporting procedures and billeting information. In the event your command is not in port, you will report to the Transient Personnel Unit (TPU) building #700. To check in to TPU, you will need a copy of your orders and your Military ID to begin the check-in process. If you don't have a room reservation you will be given a room and have TPU's Rules and Regulations explained to you. It's important to check-in to TPU as soon as you arrive, TPU will have you in the system and able to communicate to your command you are in Yokosuka. TPU will assist in the check-in process and refer you to the appropriate resources as would your command if they were in port. TPU can be contacted DSN 315-243-5162 or internationally 011-81-46-816-5162 or the Command's homepage.

A copy of your orders is needed for check-in but if you are bringing family members be sure to have the approved Family Entry Approval and passports prior to leaving for Japan, you will need all these documents to start all your allowances during the check-in process. If you want to take leave in Japan please submit the proper request to your gaining command, some allowances may not be paid if you have not checked-in to your gaining command.

Due to all the wonderful things in Yokosuka the check-in process may seems a bit lengthy, your sponsor will be the best asset during this process.

Some things to expect are:

1. CFAY Welcome Center (Housing Office) The Welcome Center can be contacted DSN 315-243-4663/9037 or internationally 011-81-46-816-4663/9037.


  • Attend Newcomers Brief (if eligible for Housing) in the Housing Welcome Center Conference Room, at 0830 every weekday, except holidays. Registration is recommended due to limited seating.
  • Receive folder with house hunting procedures and tips.


2. Stop by the DBIDS (Defense Biometric ID System) office at the Main Gate (ISO/Pass & ID office) and register yourself and all eligible family members. Registration is required for scanner-based access to all military installations in Japan. You can also register yourself in DBIDS at the FAST Office in the CRC Building across from the Commissary. (Documents required: Official PCS Orders; Family Entry Approval; Common Access Card (CAC) or family member ID card).

3. If necessary, take your passport to the PSD Passport Office to get your passport stamped with the multiple reentry stamp.  This should be done within 14 days of your arrival.  Hours of operation:  0800-1200; 1300-1530.  The Passport Office can be contacted at DSN 315-243-8466 or internationally 011-81-46-816-8466.

4. Visit the Fleet & Family Support Center (FFSC), 4th Floor, Bldg. 3365 (Community Readiness Center) Hours: M-T-W-F, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm; Thursdays 8:00 am - 3:00 pm. The FFSC can be contacted DSN 315-243-3372 or internationally 011-81-46-816-3372.

Sign up for the Area Orientation Briefing & Intercultural Relations (AOB/ICR) mandatory indoc for service members, family members, civilian and contracted personnel stationed in Yokosuka.

5. Set up child care for AOB/ICR, as well as for house hunting appointments at the Hourly Child Development Center, Bldg. F68, DSN 315-243-3219 or internationally at 011-81-46-816-3219, or through the Child Development Home (CDH) Program, Bldg. 1559, DSN 315-243-5478 or internationally 011-81-46-816-5478.. Check with the Youth Center for After School Care for your school age children, Bldg. 1115, phone DSN 243-3439/5492 or internationally 011-81-46-816-3439/5492. Ask your Sponsor to assist with this prior to your arrival.

6. Medical check-in (US Naval Hospital Yokosuka) The quarterdeck can be contacted 24 hours a day DSN 315-243-7144 or internationally 011-81-46-816-7144. Shipboard members check in with their ship's medical departments. Shore-based military check in at Outpatient Medical Records. Command Sponsored family members of shipboard and shore-based military check in at Outpatient Medical Records.

The above list is just a guideline to the your check-in process. Your sponsor will provide you a check list to ensure you meet all the check in requirements. The sponsor will also assist with referrals to base transportation along with a variety of your transferring needs.

What do to if you get Married enroute?

If you get married before you PCS, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow -procedures.

Associated Links

Military ID Card/CAC -- Locator
Find all military ID card and CAC facilities worldwide.

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

Navy Official Home Page
Generally applicable service wide information.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline