printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Check-in Procedures

Welcome Center

Upon arrival at Fort Wainwright, Soldiers must sign in at the Welcome Center. At Fort Wainwright, Soldiers sign in at Building 3401. During the duty hours (Monday thru Friday 7:30 a.m - 4:30 p.m.) report to the Military Personnel Division Front desk or call 907-353-2273/2253. After duty hours and holidays report to Building 3401 3RD Floor Room 321 or call 907 353-4311 for instructions. This line is manned 24 hours a day.

If your Family is with you in concurrent travel status, you will be sent to lodging, which is open 24 hours a day. Lodging is available on a space-available basis for Soldiers without reservations, arriving at or departing on permanent change of station orders.

Only Housing Services Office (HSO) can authorize a Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA); you must check in with them as soon as you are scheduled for in-processing.

TLA is available for single Soldiers in the pay grade of E-6 and above and for all married Soldiers on concurrent travel who are accompanied by command-sponsored Family members. TLA is authorized to partially offset the cost of temporary lodging for the first 20 days after arrival, unless privatized housing is immediately available. It is not recommended that you take permissive TDY prior to in-processing.  TLA will not be authorized until you have signed in from leave. Commanders will authorize PTDY for house hunting, after you have in-processed.

Reporting Procedures

Report in to the Welcome Center, Bldg. 3401 for In-Processing. Military Personnel Division will assist you in settling in to Fort Wainwright. You will have In-Processing for five days before reporting to your Unit.

If you have not been in contact with, or assigned, a sponsor this will happen on the first day of In-Processing.

If you need more information, please call 907-353-2273.

Travel Planning 

Make sure your PCS orders state that you are authorized to travel the ALCAN or the ALCAN and marine highway if you are going to be using both. If you deviate from your travel plans, you need to have your orders amended to receive travel pay that will adequately cover your mode of travel.

For your family to accompany you to Alaska, your PCS orders must say concurrent travel and have each family member's name on your orders. Each family member must have completed the Exceptional Family Member screening and have Command Sponsorship. 

If your PCS orders say "deferred travel" for your family, then you need to travel to Alaska alone.  After you arrive in Alaska, you can begin the Command Sponsorship process.  Have your family complete the Exceptional Family Member screening at the losing post and wait to hear from you for further instructions. 

For more information, you can inquire with your current Military Personnel Division, local Army Community Service or Exceptional Family Member Program Manager.

What to do if you get Married enroute?

If you get married before you PCS, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures. If you get married in route, you need to travel to Fort Wainwright, Alaska alone. During in-processing, you will receive instructions on how to acquire Command Sponsorship and necessary steps for travel arrangements for your new family.

Associated Links

Army Home Page
Information and resources for Army soldiers and families worldwide.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Military ID Card/CAC -- Locator
Find all military ID card and CAC facilities worldwide.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline