Personal Property Office
1710B Cavin Dr.
Building 8100
Great Lakes, IL 60088-3402

Phone 847-688-5371 / 800-637-5401
Phone (DSN) 312-792-5371
Fax 847-688-5849
Fax (DSN) 312-792-5849

Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 3:50 p.m.
Sat & Sun - closed
Holidays - closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Shipping Pets


There is no quarantine for pets coming to the base.

Navy Housing Residents

All residents in Navy housing must register their animals with Lake County officials.

Lake County Residents

Pets must be vaccinated and a registration/fee submitted to Lake County; 847-949-9725.

All active duty military, reservists on active duty over 30 days, retirees and family members with a valid ID card are eligible to use the VTF. Those eligible to use the VTF may bring pets in for annual vaccinations, fecal testing for intestinal parasites, heartworm testing, and minor skin infections. Appointments are necessary and there is a charge for services provided. Shampoo, ear cleaning products, heartworm preventatives and flea control products for dogs and cats are available for purchase. Call to make an appointment, or for more information.


Local business results for pet kennels in the Lake county area around Great Lakes:

  • The Pet Sitters of America Inc., 523 W. Park Ave, Libertyville, Il 60048-2670; phone number: 847-816-4744, Call or use website email for services.
  • Top Dog Training Kennel: Full Service Kennel for Dogs and Cats, 1460 E. Belvidere Rd., Grayslake, IL  60030; phone number 847-223-2822; FAX: 847-223-1537; Hours of operation: Mon-Fri 9-7; Sat. 9-4; Sun. 9-12
  • Winds Chant Boarding Kennel, 18451 W. Highway 120, Grayslake, IL 60030-9562; phone number: 847-223-0150; Fax; 847-223-0518; Hours of operations: Tues., Wed., Thurs. 10 a.m.-noon; Sat. 10 a.m. – 11:30.
  • Beach Park Animal Hospital, 37063 N. Sheridan Rd., Beach Park, IL  60087 website; phone number:  847-244-1230; Hours of operations: Mon 8 a.m.- 7 p.m.; Tues. – Fri. 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Sat. 8 a.m. – 3p.m.; Closed Sun.
  • Amalia’s Pet Care, 5115 Red Pine Ave., Gurnee, IL  60031; phone number: 847-336-3514. Call or use website email for services.
  • Lake Forest Kennel Club, 810 Everett Rd., Lake Forest, IL  60045; phone number: 847-234-3120; FAX: 847-234-3121. Call for services.
  • Daddy Dog Care, 309 Townline Rd., Mundelein, IL  60060; phone number: 847-949-3964; FAX: 847-946-3966. Call or use website email for services. Open Weekdays 7am-7pm; Sat 9am-5pm

Veterinary Services

The primary mission of the U.S. Army Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF) is to provide full medical care for government owned animals such as military working dogs, official mascots, and to support public health through prevention and treatment of communicable diseases. The VTF fulfills this part of the mission by providing pet care appointments for routine vaccinations, heartworm and parasite testing, and limited sick call. They also cooperate with Base Preventive Medicine and Animal Control in animal bite monitoring and quarantine procedures. The VTF does not board or groom pets. Micro chipping is required for all pets in base housing areas and available through the VTF.

The Great Lakes Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF) at Bldg. 43H provides basic health care for family pets of active duty and retired service members. Services provided include, but are not limited to, routine vaccinations, testing for internal and external parasites, flea control products, heartworm testing and preventative, health certificates, and treatment of diseases that may be transmitted from animals to humans. 

Medicated shampoo, ear cleaning products, heartworm preventatives and flea and tick control products for dogs and cats are available for purchase. Appointments are necessary and there is a charge for services provided. The Great Lakes VTF does not provide emergency services; please see a civilian veterinarian for emergency care. All active duty military, reservists on active duty for more than 30 days, retirees and family members with a valid ID card are eligible to use the VTF. 


If you have a family pet now or plan on getting one in the future, you should, at a minimum, ensure your animal is provided with the following preventive health measures.

Adult Dog annual vaccinations include the Rabies vaccination which is given once initially and then every year or three years thereafter depending on the county the dog resides in. The Rabies vaccinate is good for three years, but some counties still want the vaccine to be given yearly. Both Lake County and Cook County recognize the three year vaccine. The other annual vaccine necessary is the combination vaccine that protects against Distemper, Parvovirus, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, and Corona Virus. Additionally, if you plan on boarding your animal anytime within the next 12 months, it's recommended to have them vaccinated against canine kennel cough, which we provide, upon request. We also encourage all dogs be kept on heartworm preventative year round.

Adult cats: A Rabies vaccination is given once initially and then every year or three years depending on the county's policy. The other annual vaccination is the combination vaccine that protects against Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, and Panleukopenia. Additionally, cats can be vaccinated for the Feline Leukemia Virus, upon request.

Puppies and kittens should start their vaccinations at 8-12 weeks of age and receive their first Rabies vaccination when they are at least four months old. We recommend deworming all puppies and kittens during their first two visits.

Licensing & Registration

All animals must be registered with the Great Lakes VTF in order to be granted services. Additionally, animals need to be registered in the county they reside. Great Lakes and Sheridan residents need to register their animals with Lake County (847-949-9725) and Glenview residents need to register their animals with Cook County (708-974-6146). Animals receiving a rabies vaccination at the Great Lakes VTF may register and pay the fee at the time of the animal's vaccination if the animal resides in Lake County. The Great Lakes VTF does not handle any registering/payment of animals for any other county. If you have any further questions or would like to schedule an appointment for your animal, please contact the Great Lakes VTF at 847-688-5740. 

Associated Links
Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on by watching the video presentation, "What's on"

USDA Pet Inspection Service
Contains information on pet quarantines and traveling with pets.

UK Pet Quarantine
Information necessary to bring Pets to the UK. The United Kingdom does have a “Dangerous Dog Act” which imposes restrictions on certain breeds and imposes stringent rule should the breeds be brought in country.

Hawaii Quarantine Procedures
Information on pet quarantines for Hawaii.

Navy Household Goods Website
Household Goods provides information for Navy and Marines service members and civilians who need to move their household goods.

Traveling Tips for Persons with Disabilities
Find information on air travel.

TSA Service Animal Information
Find information about traveling with service animals on planes.

Navy Household Goods Channel
Subscribe to the Navy HHG’s YouTube channel for informational videos on DPS, and other household goods subjects.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline