Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center, Fisher Health Clinic Great Lakes
3001 North Green Bay Road
Managed Care Dept
Great Lakes, IL 60064

Phone 224-610-1900
Phone (DSN) 792-6712

Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Sat & Sun - closed
Holidays - closed

Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Health Care

Moving with TRICARE

When you move, TRICARE moves with you. It's there before, during and when you get to your next duty station. It's available worldwide. There are steps you need to take to make sure changes to your TRICARE coverage go smoothly. With your move, you may have to use a different TRICARE option.

Visit Moving to learn more.

Getting care along the way

Before you move, you should take care of any routine medical needs, including immunizations, and fill your prescriptions so you have enough while traveling. If you need to get care during your move, visit Getting Care When Traveling to learn what to do.

Filling prescriptions while traveling

You should get all prescriptions refilled before traveling. But if you run out of a prescription drug while traveling, visit Filling Prescriptions When Traveling.

Getting dental care while traveling

Getting dental care while traveling depends on your location and whether you are a service member or family member.

  • If you are an active-duty service member within the United States or in U.S. territories, and near a military installation, you may be able to get emergency dental care at the dental treatment facility, or DTF, if available. If not, contact the active duty dental care program before you see a dentist and tell the contractor about your move. You will need to get an authorization before you see a dentist. The Active Duty Dental Care Program will work with you, so you can get care from a local network dentist.
  • If you are an active-duty service member at an overseas location, you can call the overseas regional call center to get authorization before you see a civilian dentist.
  • If you are an active-duty family member within the United States, in U.S. territories or at an overseas location, you can find out if any nearby military dental treatment facility treats active-duty family members. If you're enrolled in the TRICARE dental program, call the TRICARE dental program contractor or visit their website to find a provider. You will need to get an authorization before you see the dentist.

Permanent change of station for active-duty service members

With permanent change of station orders, ask for a copy of your medical and dental records from your military treatment facility, or MTF, records section and the dental treatment facility, or DTF. Do this at least one month before your permanent change of station date. The MTF should also transfer a copy of your record and any family records to your new duty station or you may be able to hand carry them to your new duty station.

If you want someone else to be able to get medical or dental information on you or your family while you are moving, you need to complete a DD Form 2870, "Authorization for Disclosure of Medical or Dental Information."

For more information on getting copies of medical records, visit Request Copies of Medical Records.

Installation Specific Information

Medical Care

The only military medical treatment facility in the Chicago area and the Midwest is located at the James A. Lowell Federal Health Care Center (FHCC) in North Chicago, IL. Its primary mission is to provide inpatient and outpatient service support for active duty Navy personnel in basic and other service training, all other active duty members of the seven uniformed services, their DEERS eligible dependants and all eligible veterans. Health care is rendered to other authorized persons as space and resources permit.

Emergency services are not available at Naval Health Clinic Great Lakes. In the event of an emergency, beneficiaries are advised to immediately proceed to the emergency room nearest to them.

Routine care is rendered in this priority:

  1. Active duty personnel;
  2. Family members of active duty and survivors of sponsors who died on Active Duty, who are enrolled in TRICARE Prime;
  3. Retirees, their family members and survivors of retirees who are enrolled in TRICARE Prime;
  4. Family members of Active Duty service members and survivors of sponsors who died on Active Duty who are not enrolled in TRICARE Prime;
  5. All other eligible beneficiaries

If FHCC still has primary care capacity after enrollment of all eligible members of priority groups 1 through 3, non-enrolled beneficiaries (groups 4 and 5) may continue to access health care, on a space-available basis.

The main building on the west campus is multi floor hospital which has facilities for separate primary care services for both DOD beneficiaries and Veterans as well as combined specialty services, laboratory, pharmacy, operating rooms, emergency room and inpatient beds.

There are also medical services available at branch clinics:

  • Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes (Buildings 1007 and 1523)
  • Training Support Command, Great Lakes (Building 237)

On base emergency services (fire, ambulance, police) are accessed by dialing extension 3333.

Poison control is accessible by dialing 800-942-5969.

School Physicals -- For school physicals, please contact the Appointment Call Center at 1-800-941-4501 for appointments. Please bring the following for your school physical appointment:

  • Immunization record
  • Health record (If a record is not maintained at the hospital)
  • school physical form, if available

Dental Care

Dental services are available only for Active Duty members on base.

Community Resources

For information on local health care support utilizing TRICARE network providers, contact HealthNet, the Managed Care Support Contractor, at 1-877-874-2273.

Associated Links

DS Logon (formerly DEERS)
TRICARE beneficiaries can electronically link to their medical records, pay and human resource systems and other websites.

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

Beneficiary Counseling Assistance Coordinator
A BCAC educates beneficiaries, and enhances a thorough understanding of TRICARE programs.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline