printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Special Education/EIS

Early Intervention and Special Education Services

Children from Birth to 3 Years of Age

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, or IDEA, requires all states and territories to provide early intervention services to children from birth to 3 years of age who have, or are at risk for having, developmental delays. Local school districts or health departments often provide these early intervention services. The program is called different names in different areas, but it is often referred to as Part C (because Part C is the section of the law that pertains to early intervention). The national Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center provides a list of state Part C coordinators and funded programs on their website. Also, Military OneSource can assist you in identifying early intervention programs in your area. When moving, you should hand-carry copies of your child's individual family service plan and the most current evaluation reports to your new home to ensure they are not lost.

Children Between 3 and 21 Years of Age

The IDEA requires that all states and territories provide special education and related services to eligible children between the ages of 3 and 21. Each local school district has a special education director, and each school should have an individualized education program team or school-based committee that attends to students with special education needs.

The IDEA requires that if a child transfers to a different district in the same state, the receiving school must provide a free, appropriate public education, including comparable services, until the new school adopts the previously held individualized education program or develops, adopts and implements a new individualized education program. If a child transfers to another state, the receiving district must provide comparable services until the receiving district completes an evaluation and creates a new individualized education program, if appropriate.

If you are moving and your child receives special education and related services, you should hand-carry all pertinent school and medical documents, including the individualized education program and current evaluation reports. Hand-carrying these documents ensures that they are not lost and allows the new school district to begin the process as soon as you move.

Other Resources

Parent Training and Information Centers serve families and adults with special needs from birth to age 26. They assist families in getting appropriate education and services for their children, work to improve education services for all children, train and inform parents and professionals, resolve problems between families and schools or other agencies and connect those with disabilities to community resources. Find out more at the Center for Parent Information and Resources website.

Installation Specific Information

If you are a parent of a child with special needs, you will find help for the correct placement of your child at the "home school" or assigned school that serves your housing area. As soon as you have been assigned quarters or have found housing in the community, call the office of your assigned school and make an appointment to see either the counselor or the principal.

If your child has been determined to be legally handicapped, either physically or mentally, or has been diagnosed with a learning or behavior disorder, hand carry all your documentation, to include copies of IEP's, with you. Do not send this paperwork with your household goods shipment, as you will need it when you meet with the receiving school staff. This will speed up the placement process.

If your child has not been officially certified as special needs, but you feel your child needs to be evaluated, ask the principal to initiate a formal assessment. It is your right as a parent to receive this service. If you arrive during the summer, many principals and permanent office staff will be on vacation.In this case, ask for a Form 0-42. Fill it out and give it to the clerk. It will be sent to the district office to start the process.

It is recommended that you, as a parent, make informed decisions regarding your child's accommodations in the public school system. There is currently a critical shortage of teachers with certifications in Special Education, Learning Disabilities and Emotional Handicaps. Before enrolling your child in a school, it is recommended you become familiar with the particulars of their Special Education program and staff. The schools are required by Federal law to meet certain time requirements in regards to the evaluation, placement, and implementation of a student's individual education plan (IEP). These federally mandated procedures are meant to allow the parents to play an active role in the initial decision-making process, the creation of the IEP (individual education program), and regular assessment of progress.

For K-12 special education system navigation please contact the School Liaison Officer (a subject matter expert on K-12 education issues) at 808-471-3662/3673. If you need assistance or have questions concerning your child's needs and the availability of services locally, contact the EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program) Coordinator at Tripler Army Medical Center at 808-433-9644. or If you have inquiries about family support options, including community resources, contact the EFMP Liaison at the Military and Family Support Center at 808-474-1999.

Respite Care

A "gift of time" for families who provide care for a medically fragile family member. Both Navy and Air Force families can take advantage of respite care through their respective branch's EFMP Respite Care Program. Navy families can contact the EFMP Liaison (808-474-1999) for additional information. Air Force families can contact Hickam's Special Needs Coordinator (808-448-6782) for additional information and inquire about eligibility.

Air Force Specific

Air Force personnel assigned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam with an exceptional family member are mandated to contact the Special Needs Identification section of the 15 Medical Group's Mental Health Clinic at 808-448-6782. The Mental Health Clinic handles all special needs family members.

Special Needs Identification and Assignment Coordination (SNIAC) Process

The spirit and intent of the SNIAC process is to ensure military sponsors are assigned to locations where family members' special medical, mental health or educational needs can be met, helping the Air Force member maintain a worldwide assignment status.

Installation Agencies and Programs

Give Parents a Break (GPAB) -- Funded by the Air Force Aid Society for Air Force families who are experiencing undue stress due to a spouse TDY, remote tour, having a child with special needs, and challenging circumstances of health and well-being. The Child Development Center provides care for children from 5-12 years of age and referral applications are issued for one month.

Associated Links

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center
Provides a list of State Part C directors and programs.

Choosing a School for your Child - Department of Education
How to choose a school.

Education Directory for Children with Special Needs
Provides useful practical information for families with Autism Spectrum Disorders.

DoD Special Needs Homepage
Provides resources for meeting special needs.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline