Family Employment Readiness Program (FERP) – Navy
Military and Family Support Center - Navy
4827 Bougainville Drive
Honolulu, HI 96818-3174

Phone 808- 474-1999
Phone (DSN) 315-474-1999
Fax 808-474-1997
Fax (DSN) 315-474-1997

Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fri 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Sat and Sun - Closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase


Employment Options

Because of the higher cost of living in Hawaii, many military spouses choose to work. We recommend you start your job search prior to arriving by utilizing the Employment Counselor at your current Fleet and Family Support Center location and you may also e-mail the FERP Manager at the MFSC-JBPHH to request employment assistance. There are many internet job banks, both in the private sector as well as State and Federal.

If you are eligible for our employment services, please call 808-474-1999 / 808-474-1999 and schedule an appointment with an Employment Counselor or Transition Counselor (if you are active duty).

Our Employment Counselors are available to assist newcomers with their job search, provide information about the Hawaii job market, and assess their work history and job skills. There is a highly competitive job market in Hawaii. Be aware that many of the salaries do not reflect the higher cost of living. State minimum wage is $8.50. The unemployment rate for Honolulu was 3.2% in May 2016.

The state's unemployment rate is below the national average at 4.7% in January 2016. Since Hawaii's economy depends largely on tourism, most employment opportunities can be found in the transportation, hospitality and leisure trades. However, with the onset of better wages in both the education and medical field, there are many opportunities for the job seeker to find employment in Hawaii.

Good Prospects: Hotel/Restaurant, Service Industries, Clerical, as well as Retail sales.

Fair Prospects: Customer Service, Administrative Assistance.

The majority of the employment is in downtown Honolulu. Salaries are generally lower than on the mainland. Be sure to question the prospective employer on parking, as the cost for parking downtown can range from $100.00 - $150.00 per month.

Those interested in State of Hawaii jobs may contact the Department of Human Resources Development at 808-587-1111 / 808-587-1111 or visit their website.

Information on City and County of Honolulu jobs may be found online.

DoD Human Resource Service Center Numbers

HRSC - East 757-396-7567

HRSC - Northeast 215-408-5546

HRSC - Northwest 360-315-8221

HRSC - Southeast 800-378-4559

Employment Documentation

Remember to hand carry your employment history (resume, addresses of personal and professional references, letters of recommendation, etc.), along with other important records such as your most recent SF-50 (if you are a current/former federal employee), DD-214 (if you are a veteran), college transcripts, certificates, licenses, travel orders and transportation agreement, and other important documents with you.

Unemployment Benefits

Unemployment compensation may be available for the spouse of a newly assigned military member or civilian employee. For more information please contact Hawaii's Department of Labor and Industrial Relations toll-free at 1-877-215-5793 or go online.

Transition Assistance

Transition Assistance for active duty personnel leaving the Navy and Air Force is offered regularly at the Military and Family Support Center. Contact the Transition Office at 808-474-1999 or DSN 315-474-1999 for schedules, class registration and more information.

Air Force Reserve Opportunities

If your family member is a reservist and is interested in a reassignment to PACAF or work short-term active duty Manday tours, contact the HQ PACAF Reserve Affairs Office at DSN 315-449-0585.

Tuition Assistance


For information on MyCAA and Military Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, visit Military OneSource.
Tuition Assistance for active duty is offered through the Virtual Education Center (VEC) (formerly Navy College Center (NCC)) and the Air Force's Hickam Education Center.

The VADM E. P. Travers Scholarship and Loan Program has been expanded from dependent children only to include spouses of active duty service members (CONUS/overseas), effective with academic year 1997/1998. Qualified applicants are ranked according to financial need, and the Society is limited to 1,000 scholarships, spread among dependent children of active duty and retired Sailors and Marines and spouses of active duty service members. The program provides a scholarship of up to $2,000 and/or an interest-free loan of up to $3,000 per academic year. Enrollment must be for full-time undergraduate study at an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Spouse Career Planning Tool

MyICP gives military spouses a new career-planning tool. Military spouses who need guidance on education and careers have a new online tool at their fingertips. "My Individual Career Plan," or MyICP, allows spouses to build a virtual career roadmap based on their specific goals and objectives.

MyICP is available for all active-duty Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps spouses and to National Guard and Reserve spouses as well. It is also open to spouses for up to 180 days after their service member separates or retires from the military. Spouses must first register at Military OneSource to use it. Surviving spouses of military members who died while on active duty also are eligible.

Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP), a component of Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program (SECO), is composed of more than 200 companies and organizations that have committed to hiring military spouses. MyICP also includes the ability for users to see which of MSEP's partners might have jobs in the user's occupation, and provides a link to check the company's openings in the chosen field.

Military spouses who have additional questions or need more information about using the MyICP tool can call Military One Source at 1-800-342-9647 and speak to a SECO career counselor.

Associated Links

Career Advancement Accounts for Military Spouses

Employer Support of Guard and Reserve
Find job advice and listings.

Office of Personnel Management
Provides access to all official federal jobs as well as links to other government resources.

U.S. Department of Labor
Provides access to all official employment statistics and opportunities.

DoD Commissaries
The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment.

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

Military State Policy Source
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Military Spouse Employment Partnership
Military spouses find a job with military friendly employers and learn job search skills from Military OneSource. Employers can register a job online.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline