Deployment/Mobilization - Military and Family Support Center - Air Force and Navy
4827 Bougainville Drive
Honolulu, HI 96818-3174

Phone 808-474-1999
Phone (DSN) 315-474-1999
Fax 808-474-1997
Fax (DSN) 315-474-1997

Mon - Thurs, 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fri 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sat and Sun - Closed

Email | Website | Map

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Deployment Support

Deployment Support

Concerned about how you and your family will adjust during periods of separation? The Military and Family Support Center (MFSC) plays a key role in the preparation process by assisting individuals and commands in getting military and family members ready for each phase of deployment.

Document Preparation and Update

Preparation and communication are the keys to having a positive deployment. It is important for you to keep copies of important documents and other valuable information in a safe place. Review this information on a regular basis. To assist you with deployment preparation use these checklists: Parents Deployment Readiness Checklist, Couples Deployment Checklist, Individual Augumentee Deployment Checklist.


Try to write about solutions or plans, not problems. Spouses and, perhaps, children should have activated E-mail accounts to ensure a communication connection exists between the deployed service member and family members. Buy cards for special occasions before the deployment. In any situation, ensure as many ways of communicating as possible and try to communicate frequently. Number letters as mail is sometimes delayed and letters may not be received in the order written. Start homecoming plans and communicate them throughout the deployment.

Record of Emergency Data

Ensure that your Page 2 is updated. The Page 2 identifies service member's primary and secondary next of kin to be notified in the event of death, illness or injury. This document should be reviewed on a regular basis and whenever there are any life changes (e.g. marriage, divorce, death of parent, birth of child, etc.)

In addition, the Page 2 lists all the service member's family members to establish entitlements and designates beneficiary for entitlements (unpaid pay and allowances, death benefit).

Single Parents/Dual Career Military Couples

Single parents and dual-career military couples may experience even greater anxiety and stress over a deployment. Without a spouse to stay behind, they must make sure their children will be cared for.

Family Care Plan

For your own peace-of-mind, ensure all family members are connected to the local military treatment facilities. You should, at a minimum, apply for local Tricare services for your family members, update DEERS and ensure ID cards won't expire during the deployment. If there is a family member with special educational, mental or medical needs, you should contact your Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) Coordinator before leaving your current duty station, to arrange for current services to continue after you relocate. The EFMP Coordinator is usually located at each military medical treatment facility (MTF). If you are unsure of how to contact your local EFMP Coordinator, contact Pearl Harbor MFSC, EFMP Liaison at 808-474-1999, or call the EFMP Coordinator at Tripler Army Medical Center at 808-433-9644.


For your own peace-of-mind, ensure all family members are connected to the local military treatment facilities. You should, at a minimum, apply for local Tricare services for your family members, update DEERS and ensure ID cards won't expire during the deployment.

ID Cards

All military family members age 10 and above need their own ID card.

Check ID cards for expiration dates. Are they valid until after your return from deployment? Be sure your family knows what to do if the card is about to expire. If card expires, family member's enrollment in DEERS could be dropped. Be sure family members have the proper paperwork, DD Form 1172, and normally an up to date specific Power of Attorney, and supporting documents (Marriage Certificate, picture ID) in the event they lose or misplace their ID card while the service member is deployed. DD Form 1172’s are now done on-line.

Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI)

All service members are entitled to life insurance and can also purchase for family members.
Review on a regular basis and whenever there are any life changes (e.g. marriage, divorce, death of parent, birth of child, etc.) You must have separate designation of beneficiary - not governed by will.


A will is the document that directs the transfer of your property upon your death. You may revoke or modify it at any time. It is critical that you update and maintain your will. Contact Region Legal Service Office Hawaii (RLSO).

Power of Attorney (POA)

If married, at a minimum, your spouse needs to have appropriate Powers of Attorney (POA). You should contact your local Region Legal Service Office Hawaii (RLSO) before leaving your current duty station. They can provide many other legal services and should be consulted before PCSing and/or deploying.

A Power of Attorney is a legal document giving authority to another to act/sign in your name. There are two types of POA - General and Specific.

  • General - permits holder to do almost anything in your name. May not be accepted by many banks or businesses or by PSD.
  • Specific - specifies particular transaction/business (e.g. real estate, PSD). It is recommended that you obtain specific powers of attorney for particular issues rather than having a general one.

A POA is only good for one year! Keep it updated. Ensure you have complete trust in anyone to whom you give your POA. A POA is required along with Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) to obtain base and city stickers.

Preparation before deployment

Additional preparation of your home, vehicle, and other items must also be considered if you are to be deployment ready. Whether you own your home or lease, there are several items to take care of before you deploy:

  • How to contact the command Ombudsman/Key Spouse (all deployed units should have one).
  • A Family Care Plan to ensure legal, financial, guardianship and medical care will be provided in emergency situations.
  • Receipt and/or storage of Household Goods (HHG) (if the service member is not available to receive shipment of HHG, the spouse may need to do so and will probably need a POA).
  • If you own your home, be sure to complete any home maintenance or repairs. Provide a list of service companies/repairmen to your spouse, roommate or property manager.
  • If you lease, check rental/lease agreements carefully! Hopefully you reviewed the military clause in the lease and did not waive the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act. This allows you to get out of your lease if deployed. Be sure to notify the landlord of your deployment. Consult Region Legal Service Office Hawaii (RLSO) or the Air Force Legal Office if you have any questions.
  • Be sure you have Renter's Insurance on your personal property. The average cost is $10 per month and should be initiated by service members living in barracks, military housing or off base.
  • Make a video or paper inventory and keep in a safe place away from home (i.e., bank safe deposit box).
  • If you live in the barracks and are deploying, you may store personal property through the Navy. The command can help you make the arrangements.
  • Before deploying, it is important to attend to all vehicles - including maintenance, insurance, and storage if necessary. Keep all vehicles maintained - oil changes, tires, belts, coolant/antifreeze, etc.
  • Maintain city, base and state inspection stickers.
  • Check your auto insurance. Most insurers will reduce insurance premiums for singles or couples during deployment or extended underway periods. If the vehicle is to be stored, only minimal insurance is usually required. Insurance may be reduced, if the vehicle will not be driven frequently by a spouse. Service members should consult their insurance companies.
  • Vehicle storage may be available through the Navy or through commercial storage facilities off base. The costs vary according to the services provided.


You should never deploy without first arranging adequate financial support for your family members. Discuss what funds are available in an emergency and what constitutes an emergency. Both partners need to be aware of the family finances. Try to save at least one month's pay in a savings account to use in case of emergency. Financial counselors are available at the Military and Family Support Center to assist you and your family in establishing a spending plan. Arrangements for allotments can be made via your bank and/or disbursing office. Contact your local disbursing office before PCSing if you have questions about this.

For emergency financial situations before or after PCSing contact your local Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) or Air Force Aid Society (AFAS) for assistance. While traveling, you should contact the nearest American Red Cross (ARC) for emergency funds.

Additional Sources of Help

The command Ombudsman and Command Family Support Group or the squadron Key Spouse are excellent resources for assistance. If you do not know who your command Ombudsman or your squadron Key Spouse is, contact the Military and Family Support Center's Ombudsman Coordinator or the Key Spouse Coordinator. The Military and Family Support Center offers professional counseling services for family members and offers a wide range of personal and family enrichment programs to address issues for Navy and Air Force personnel and their families. Chaplains provide counseling and can point out other sources of help.


Air Force Specific

The Air Force's Family Readiness Program (FRP) is also referred to as the "Hearts Apart Program."

Services under the FRP "Hearts Apart Program" include:

  • A variety of information and services for all active duty military members (single and married) DOD civilians, and family members preparing for military separation over 30 days due to TDY.

  • Area Information: Resources available to families regarding the deployed member's location.

  • Monthly Follow-Ups: MFSC staff contact families each month regarding Family Readiness events and are available to address questions and concerns as needed.

  • Referral Counseling: On and off-base community referrals will be provided to families as needed.

  • Car Care Program: When the member is deployed for 30 days or more, the Air Force Aid Society pays for a routine maintenance check and oil change for the spouse's vehicle.

  • Phone Home Program: The Air Force Aid Society provides members with a 100 minute global accessible prepaid calling card for those deployed for 30 days or more. These cards are available through your First Sergeant.

  • Give Parents a Break (GPAB): The Air Force Aid Society pays for five hours of child care per child one Saturday a month for children 6 months to 12 years of age.

  • Monthly Events: Monthly events are hosted by the Military and Family Support Center for deployed/remote tour/frequently TDY family members. Events include free dinner, activities and crafts for children and adults.

If you are an Air Force spouse needing to get in touch with your Key Spouse, please go to Military and Family Support Center and take advantage of the new "Contact My Key Spouse" link that can be found under the Family Services/MFSC ADD/Ombudsman/Key Spouse tab.

Associated Links

Fleet and Family Support Center
Provides information on Navy family issues.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline