printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Special Education/EIS

Early Intervention and Special Education Services

Children from Birth to 3 Years of Age

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, or IDEA, requires all states and territories to provide early intervention services to children from birth to 3 years of age who have, or are at risk for having, developmental delays. Local school districts or health departments often provide these early intervention services. The program is called different names in different areas, but it is often referred to as Part C (because Part C is the section of the law that pertains to early intervention). The national Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center provides a list of state Part C coordinators and funded programs on their website. Also, Military OneSource can assist you in identifying early intervention programs in your area. When moving, you should hand-carry copies of your child's individual family service plan and the most current evaluation reports to your new home to ensure they are not lost.

Children Between 3 and 21 Years of Age

The IDEA requires that all states and territories provide special education and related services to eligible children between the ages of 3 and 21. Each local school district has a special education director, and each school should have an individualized education program team or school-based committee that attends to students with special education needs.

The IDEA requires that if a child transfers to a different district in the same state, the receiving school must provide a free, appropriate public education, including comparable services, until the new school adopts the previously held individualized education program or develops, adopts and implements a new individualized education program. If a child transfers to another state, the receiving district must provide comparable services until the receiving district completes an evaluation and creates a new individualized education program, if appropriate.

If you are moving and your child receives special education and related services, you should hand-carry all pertinent school and medical documents, including the individualized education program and current evaluation reports. Hand-carrying these documents ensures that they are not lost and allows the new school district to begin the process as soon as you move.

Other Resources

Parent Training and Information Centers serve families and adults with special needs from birth to age 26. They assist families in getting appropriate education and services for their children, work to improve education services for all children, train and inform parents and professionals, resolve problems between families and schools or other agencies and connect those with disabilities to community resources. Find out more at the Center for Parent Information and Resources website.

Installation Specific Information

Individual cases should be referred to the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) so that all services in addition to education may be coordinated for inbound personnel.

Special Education

A special education program is in place to meet the needs of students with special needs. DoDEA's Guam District provides services for students ages 3-5 with developmental delays and in grades K-12 for students with physical, emotional, communication and learning disabilities. Speech and language services are available for students in preschool through grade 12. Medically related services are available on a contractual basis, as needed.

Parents are the most are the most valuable members of the special education process. If your child requires special education services, you will be involved in decisions about what services, instruction, and equipment are to be provided, as well as where these services may take place. Schools will ensure that placement is made in the least restrictive environment. You will be asked to share knowledge about your child's development, your expectations, and information about how your child learns.

Once developed, the IEP (Individual Education Program) may be reviewed at any time concerns arise regarding the services being provided. Fostering feelings of trust and respect is an important goal for parents and educators. It is vitally important to keep the lines of communions open. We will work together to see that your and your child's dreams for the future can be realized.

Guam Public Schools' Special Education

Military Families with special-needs children enrolling in Guam public schools should contact the Special Education Child Find Coordinator at the Guam Department of Education at 671-475-0546. Additionally, parents should discuss their child's special needs with the classroom teacher and the consulting resource teacher. Prior to arriving in Guam, address questions to Exceptional Family Member Coordinator at Andersen Air Force Base, DSN 315-366-8217.

Parents should hand-carry copies of the most recent evaluations to include test names and scores as well as the individual education plan.

The Guam Special Education Division programs serve eligible students, ages birth through 21 with a wide range of academic, emotional, behavioral and physical needs, as well as the academically and creatively gifted and talented.

In Guam public schools, students with disabilities are educated with non-disabled students. Special classes are used only when the nature or severity of the disability is such that services cannot be satisfactorily achieved in the regular classroom with supplemental support.

Associated Links

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center
Provides a list of State Part C directors and programs.

Choosing a School for your Child - Department of Education
How to choose a school.

DoD Special Needs Homepage
Provides resources for meeting special needs.

Education Directory for Children with Special Needs
Provides useful practical information for families with Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline