printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase


Housing Introduction

Note: Please ensure that a full complement of furnishings that accommodates your Family configuration is shipped or will be acquired shortly after arrival, furniture loaner sets are only provided for 90 days and must be returned after household goods are received. Appliances such as refrigerator, ranges, dishwashers, washers, and dryers are provided for the duration of your tour. Would also recommend the sponsors (Military member) ensure sheets, blankets, pillows, curtains, and other necessities are shipped well in advance to unit sponsors (CMR box) to make it easier for Family's transition from hotel living directly into housing.

Grafenwoehr Government Housing

United States Army Garrison Bavaria has government quarters on post and Built-to Lease quarters off post available to all active duty personnel with command sponsorship. The average waiting period is 4 weeks for on-post apartments, and 4-6 weeks for a duplex or townhouse in the 3 or 4 bedroom category.

Prior to your arrival a copy of your orders and DD form 1746 should be emailed or faxed to the Housing Office (at least 30 days) to allow our team to begin projecting Government quarters based on your anticipated arrival date. Please include your rank, bedroom requirements, and any known/documented EFMP requirements that will impact our ability to house your Family. Whether or not you will be bringing any pets is also good information.

Upon arrival you will visit the USAG Bavaria in/out Processing Facility located on Tower Barracks at Building 244, which time you will be directed to the Housing Office to apply for quarters. Your name will be added to the respective waiting list according to your eligibility date which is normally the date a Service member signs out of their last Permanent Duty Station (stateside) as indicated on your DA 31.

Mandatory assignment to Government quarters is in effect in overseas locations. If Government quarters cannot be projected within 30 days of your arrival, a certificate of non-availability (CNA) will be issued and you will be placed on the off-post private rental housing list in Grafenwoehr or Vilseck.

TLA -- Families must be in a concurrent travel status to government or private rental quarters in order to be eligible for TLA. Families in a concurrent travel status to the address of a friend or relative are not entitled to TLA. Single soldiers may be reimbursed for lodging with a statement of non availability from the housing office. You must aggressively search for private rental housing while on TLA status. TLA is paid in 10 days increments up to 30 days when all criteria for payments are met. You will be briefed fully on your TLA entitlements and criteria during your inprocessing.

Vilseck Government Housing

Soldiers and their families may live on post or in leased/private rental housing on the local economy. Government controlled quarters consist of government owned and leased. There are currently over 1300 government controlled quarters that are located both on post and throughout the local area. Quarters are divided into the following categories, with the approximate waiting period (in month, based on FY 06 forecast averages) category bedroom count number of quarters waiting period.

Junior Enlisted:

  • 2 bedroom (571 quarters) 0 month Floor Plan
  • 3 bedroom (399 quarters) 0 month Floor Plan

Rental Options

Renting has become more expensive in the last couple of years, particularly as the U.S. military has increased its presence in this community. Rents can range from Euro 800-2,000; the rent may or may not include utilities. Soldiers and DA civilians should avail themselves of the Housing Office and get a full explanation of the details of their own rental agreements. There are some special differences in this area; i.e., electricity, water and sewage, and heating oil are often annual expenses so that future planning is necessary.

Associated Links

Defense Travel Management Office /Per Diem
Per Diem official website with information on allowances, travel regulations and lodging websites.
Official Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Portal. Find out what type of information can be found and where to find it on by watching the video presentation, "What's on"

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Army Housing Online User Services
Army housing program's worldwide portal.

Army Installation Management Command
Link is helpful in order to gain information about local and Army-wide initiatives.

Homeowners Assistance Program
Describes the programs and benefits available to some military families impacted by BRAC and PCSing personnel with mortgage shortfalls.

Defense Personal Property System Portal (DPS)
DPS Password & Login Procedures video presentation shows how to get your DPS Password and Login to the system for the first time.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline