printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Health Care/Special Needs

Military treatment facilities

The clinics and services available at military treatment facilities vary by location. Before you move, identify the military treatment facility that will serve you, visit its website to learn about the services available and get contact information.

Moving to a new TRICARE region

If you anticipate a move to another TRICARE region, learn the steps you should take to make sure your transition is as smooth as possible by visiting Moving. On arrival at the new duty location, you or your sponsor can contact the Beneficiary Counseling and Assistance Coordinator, or BCAC, at the military treatment facility if you have questions or need assistance to obtain authorizations for TRICARE Extended Care Health Option services, if applicable.

Beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinator

All TRICARE regional offices and most military treatment facilities are staffed with beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinators, or BCAC, who can provide help with understanding your health care benefit and guidance on getting the services needed. If you or your family member has more severe needs, contact your TRICARE case manager.

Case management

Case management involves a team of health care professionals who help you and your family find solutions to complex health problems. It is important to inform your case manager if you are moving as he or she will connect you with the case manager at your new location.

Extended Care Health Option

The Extended Care Health Option provides financial assistance to beneficiaries of active-duty service members who qualify based on specific mental or physical disabilities. The Extended Care Health Option offers an integrated set of services and supplies beyond the basic TRICARE program. Regional contractors in each of the TRICARE regions and overseas administer the program.

Transporting medical equipment

Contact your installation’s household goods/transportation office for information on special procedures for the transportation of medical equipment.

Federal and state health care programs

Medicaid provides health coverage for individuals and families with low incomes or have a disability. The department of social services or the department of medical assistance may administer the Medicaid program in your state. Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is a cash assistance program intended to meet basic needs for disabled adults and children who have limited resources. Families must reapply after moving to a new state.

Many states offer services for children with special health care needs funded by the Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant, or Title V. State departments of health websites and local health departments can provide information on state health benefits. The Maternal and Child Health Bureau website has more information, including state points of contact.

Other important resources

TRICARE debt collection assistance officers, or DCAO, are assigned to regional offices and military treatment facilities worldwide and can help beneficiaries understand and get assistance with debt collection issues related to TRICARE.

Installation Specific Information

Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)

Army Community Service (ACS) is the agency responsible for the overall management of the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). The EFMP Manager at ACS serves as the primary advocate for the USAG Bavaria EFMP enrollees and can assist all military and civilian ID card holders with information on EFMP enrollment and registration processes.

The EFMP Manager can assist relocating families with information on medical services, housing concerns, education needs, and community support available in Vilseck/Grafenwoehr or at the receiving community. The EFMP Manager also chairs the EFMP Committee, which helps coordinate medical, legal, social service assessment, education, housing, treatment and recreation services and activities available within USAG Bavaria.

The Special Needs Accommodation Process (SNAP) meets monthly or as needed to ensure placement of children with disabilities the usage of the Child and Youth Services. Support Groups to Accommodate autistic, attention deficient, and developmentally delayed clients are provided monthly. The EFMP also facilitate a support group to take care of all other special needs. (Climbing the Rainbow Support Group). Respite care is provided at no cost to the family if the family member enrolled meets the mandated requirement.   

Emergency Care

The clinic does not provide emergency care. For medical emergencies, go to the hospital nearest you or dial: 114 on the installation - 112 off post - or call the MP station at 011-49-9641-83-8319.

If you go to a German clinic or hospital without a referral, you must contact the clinic's TRICARE Service Center (DSN 314-475-7424 or 011-49-9641-83-7424) the next working day to ensure that TRICARE will cover the cost of your care. For 24-hour medical advice, call the toll-free Nurse Advice Line at 011-49-800-825-1600. This number also provides access to an Audio Health Library of common medical conditions.

German Hospitals

Emergency Care -- Patients requiring emergency treatment should report to the nearest host nation facility. Active-duty soldiers and family members must notify the clinic's patient liaison within 24 - 48 hours of any emergency room visit or admission to a host nation facility.

Klinikum St. Marien
Mariahilfbergweg 7, 92224 Amberg, Phone 09621-380

Kreiskrankenhaus Sulzbach-Rosenberg
Krankenhausstrasse 16, 92237 Sulzbach-Rosenberg, Phone 09661-5200


For patients requiring specialty consultations or hospitalization services beyond the capabilities of the Health Clinic, the TRICARE Referral Office in the Clinic will arrange appointments and admissions to a Host Nation Facility.

EDIS -- The goal of EDIS is to make sure that all children are ready to learn when they reach school age by providing services and support to eligible families who have concerns about their child's development. Developmental screenings are provided for all children under the age of three. Evaluation and treatment is provided for all children who qualify. School age children are referred for physical therapy, occupational therapy, psychological evaluations and social work through the DoDD's special education process.

Social Work Services -- Provide quality care to all beneficiaries capitalizing on their strengths while promoting and enhancing their social functioning and well-being.

Patient Liaison -- will assist you and your family during a hospital stay and act as an intermediary between patients and hospital staff.

TRICARE Advisor -- The TRICARE Advisor educates patients regarding TRICARE/CHAMPUS benefits, policies and responsibilities. The advisor acts as a liaison between German and American physicians, assists with written German instructions and coordinates the network of Host Nation Preferred Providers/Facilities.

TRICARE Enrollment Office --  is responsible for updating TRICARE information for soldiers and families during Inprocessing and Outprocessing and for the enrollment of beneficiaries in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Plus.

Mental Health -- service is designated to treat the active duty soldier, his or her family members and other citizens employed in a support capacity by the Department of Defense. Other civilians may be treated on an emergent basis and will be referred as appropriate. The following services are offered: Emergency psychiatric care, Psychiatric assessment, Brief individual counseling, Psychological testing, Medication management, In service training, outpatient medical consultation, Community consultation, Command consultation, Referral to other care providers, Referral for hospitalization, Consultation to the local Community Counseling Centers or the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Program (ADAPCP), Consultation to Adolescent substance Abuse Counseling Services (ASACS).

Associated Links

Find out everything you need to know about your medical benefits.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

Army EFMP Program
Special needs specific information

Beneficiary Counseling Assistance Coordinator
A BCAC educates beneficiaries, and enhances a thorough understanding of TRICARE programs.

TRICARE Mobile App for Pharmacy Assistance
Check prescriptions status; order home delivery; find a pharmacy and more all from your phone. You must be registered before downloading the mobile app.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline