printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase


Employment Opportunities

The process of seeking and obtaining employment overseas is similar to seeking employment in the States; however, the availability of jobs is much more limited. It is recommended to start looking for employment opportunities and applying for open positions one or two months prior to arriving in Germany. There are several agencies that offer employment options in Germany.

These include, but are not limited to:

  • Appropriated Fund (AF)
  • Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF)
  • DECA
  • Department of Defense Schools
  • Adult Education Center
  • Governmental Contractors
  • Private Contractors
  • Home Based Businesses
  • Off-Post Employment
  • Youth Employment

Federal Jobs (Civil Service)

The process for locating civil service jobs is automated and Internet-based. The first step is to prepare and submit your resume as well as provide supplemental information online at It is highly recommend that you use the Resume Builder provided on the website. Next is to search for available jobs and the search should be run regularly as job announcements can open at any time. Apply online when you see a job announcement in which you are interested. The easiest way is to click on "Apply Online” link provided in the job announcement. CPAC then evaluates the qualifications of applicants and provides selecting officials a referral list of the best qualified candidates. After the supervisor makes a selection, the individual selected is generally notified via email by USAJOBS or CPAC by telephone. You can see your resume and track job considerations through the USAStaffing web portal which you will be automatically linked to once you apply for a position.

Spouse Preference for Civil Service Jobs

Spouses of active duty military members stationed in Europe may be eligible for the DoD Military Spouse Preference Program. Current or former permanent federal civilian employees, or those with E.O. 12721 eligibility (worked overseas for the federal government), may be eligible for spouse preference and should register in the Priority Placement Program.

An active duty spouse without current or former civil service status may also exercise spouse preference when applying for DoD jobs that are announced to the general public. To claim such preference, the spouse must reside with his/her active duty sponsor in the commuting area of the position. The job announcement has instructions on how to claim the preference.

Benefits of Volunteering

The average time to find a job on post is from the date you first start looking. In the meantime, why not meet people within the community, or learn a new skill? Becoming involved in your community is one of the best ways to find out about potential job openings. Contact the Army Volunteer Coordinator in Vilseck to find out where you could volunteer in your new community.

Documents to Hand Carry

It is critical to hand carry the following documents: updated resume (saved on diskette or thumb drive), updated SF 171 or OF 612, current Federal Resume (if seeking GS employment), sponsor's orders, copies of professional license, certification and/or registration, college transcripts, list of references, and, if applicable: DD Form 214; SF 50.

Tuition Assistance


For information on MyCAA and Military Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, visit Military OneSource

Associated Links

Career Advancement Accounts for Military Spouses

Employer Support of Guard and Reserve
Find job advice and listings.

Office of Personnel Management
Provides access to all official federal jobs as well as links to other government resources.

U.S. Department of Labor
Provides access to all official employment statistics and opportunities.

DoD Commissaries
The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment.

Army OneSource
Comprehensive information on all Army Community Services and QOL support.

United States Army Recruiting Command Soldier and Family Assistance Programs
Public web site for all Army recruiting command needs.

USA4 Military Families
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Military Spouse Employment Partnership
Military spouses find a job with military friendly employers and learn job search skills from Military OneSource. Employers can register a job online.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline