printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Fast Facts

Wiesbaden Clay Kaserne Main Entrance

Our mission is to provide the Army the installation capabilities and services to support expeditionary operations in a time of persistent conflict, and to provide a quality of life for Soldiers, Families, civilians and retirees commensurate with their service.

U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden, headquartered at Clay Kaserne, services 15 installations and housing areas as well as several enclaves in and around Wiesbaden, Hessen, to include the Dagger Complex in Darmstadt, Germany.

A small housing area and a training site are located in the City of Mainz, Rheinland Pfalz. The McCully Support Center in Wackernheim in the same state also hosts several logistics units.

Located 20 minutes away from Frankfurt International Airport, the Wiesbaden military community is host to several tenant units, including: U.S. Army Europe Headquarters, 5th Signal Command, 66th Military Intelligence Group, 1st Air Support Operations Group, 1st Battalion, 214th Aviation Regiment, 485th Intelligence Squadron and the 7th Weather Squadron.
Additionally the garrison supports the following U.S. agencies: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Europe District, Department of Defense Dependents Schools, Defense Contract Management Command Southern Europe, European Technical Center, Science and Technology Center, Army and Air Force Exchange Service Europe, Wiesbaden Contracting Center, Army Audit Agency, Bank of America Europe, Andrews Federal Credit Union Overseas, United Services Organization, and American Forces Network-Wiesbaden Television and Radio, Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office, Defense Contract Audit Agency, defense Threat Reduction Agency and American Red Cross.

Cost of Living: Cost of Living is defined as higher than the U.S. average. COLA is provided as a supplement and is based on multiple factors including family size and the strength of the US Dollar to Euro. Car insurance and gas is more expensive in Germany. While, fresh foods and vegetables are often cheaper, items like fast food are more expensive. Clothing purchased on the economy is also more expensive to American standards. Household utilities are more expensive as are unlimited cell phone plans. Free water and unlimited refills at restaurants are non-existent. There are many ways to mitigate expenses while still enjoying your duty station. Options include the MWR sponsored Value Added Tax (VAT) relief and the Utility Tax Avoidance Program (UTAP).

Base Operator: 011-49-611-705-0 or DSN 113

Population:  About 19,800 total, including approximately 3,100 military members; 3,900 U.S. civilians; 1,200 Local National civilians, 10,500 family members and 1,100 retirees.

Area Population:  Wiesbaden: 278,919; Mainz: 200,957

Base Transportation:  Shuttle Bus service is available for Service Members, Family members and DoD ID cardholders. The bus schedule is updated via the Transportation Office. The route plan is established to provide essential service to Soldiers traveling within the community to his/her place of duty. Download the Shuttle Bus schedule. Additional area transportation options can be found on the local transportation website.

Child Care: Four CDCs on Wiesbaden, 2 CDCs in Hainerberg Housing Area. All CDCs provide care for children ages six weeks through Kindergarten, with full day, part-day and hourly care programs as well as Part-day Preschool, School Age Services and before and after school care. Family Child Care homes are also available. Parent Central Services can be contacted at: DSN 314-548-9356 or 011-49-611-143-548-9356. Additional information is located on the CYSS website. Find out more on Supervision Guidelines.

Schools: Department of Defense Dependents Schools provide a high-quality education to the children of DoDDs military and civilian personnel stationed in Wiesbaden. Schools in the Wiesbaden area include:

Hainerberg Elementary School

Aukamm Elementary School

Wiesbaden Middle School

Wiesbaden High School

Elementary school assignment is determined by your place of residence. To register your children for school you will need: passport/birth certificate, current shot record, sponsor's ID card, previous school records and travel orders listing family members. Home schooling is available; however, parents must contact the U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden Schools Liaison Officer (SLO) upon arrival for information. The SLO can help provide answers to school related questions as you relocate to and from USAG Wiesbaden.

Youth Services:  The Wiesbaden Teen Center program specializes in recreational and educational activities for young adults in the sixth through twelfth grades. Two centers on post: Hainerberg Middle School Center, Hainerberg Teen Center. Additional information may be found at the Youth Center website.

Army Community Service:  ACS 011-49-611-143-548-9202 or DSN 314-548-9202. ACS provides a wide arrange of community programs. A full explanation of programs is located on the ACS website.

Housing: Family housing is available to all ranks provided the Service Member is authorized an accompanied tour. Housing areas are located in: Hainerberg, Crestview, Aukamm, Mainz-Kastel, and Clay Kaserne. For information, visit the Housing website.

Temporary Lodging: The Army Lodge: 164 guest rooms and suites with 36 pet friendly rooms. Contact the lodge directly for reservations.

Employment: Based on your qualifications, you may be able to work for the U.S. Government, American companies overseas, a local contractor serving the government, or for a European firm.

Post Services: USAG Wiesbaden offers many installation services. MWR offers numerous indoor and outdoor recreational facilities and clubs, including outdoor recreation, library, bowling center, Arts and Crafts, golf, gym and theater. There is 1 commissary and an AAFES services to support the community. On post financial institutions include Community Bank and Andrews Federal Credit Union. Additional services may be found on the website.

Medical Services: The Wiesbaden Health Clinic provides routine care for Service Members and Family members. Emergency care services are available at two local hospitals or at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Landstuhl. Landstuhl Regional Medical Center is a 1 hour drive. For general Medical/Dental information visit the website. Civilian employees and family members receive medical attention in the host nation community through private insurance.

Special Installation Messages:

On behalf of USAG Wiesbaden, Welcome to our home in Germany. Relocating can be a stressful time. especially when moving to a new country. Below is a collection of important topics to consider as you prepare to move. The installation's main webpage is and is a wealth of information on all available resources.

What to pack:
When you think about what to pack, what to mail and what to bring along, keep in mind that Army Community Service has a lending closet for relocating Service Members, Civilians, and their Families.

The following items are available: dishes, pots and pans, kitchen utensils, and mugs. Specialty items (limited quantity) include: irons with ironing boards, coffee pots, toasters, high chairs, pack n' plays, GPS/navigation systems, and cell phones. Please note that cell phone and navigation systems are available within the first 15 days of arrival. ** Please note linens are NOT available through the lending closet and the selection is limited to the PX (German linens may not fit your American bed size). Consider packing these items in your unaccompanied baggage or mailing essential linens in advance. The community Thrift Shop often carries these items for sale as well.

The Housing Office has both a furniture and appliance branch from which furniture can be borrowed until your household goods arrive and appliances for the duration of your assignment. Your washing machine, dryer, deep freezer, etc. will not work here.

Electrical voltage:
An essential point to remember in bringing electrical items is that the German electrical standard is 220 volts and 50 hertz while the U.S. uses 110 volts and 60 hertz. Although many government quarters have been renovated with both 110v and 220v outlets, electrical appliances made for use in the U.S. must be used here with a transformer if 110v outlets are not available. Some appliances, such as clocks, do not work properly when plugged into a transformer. Others, such as microwaves, stand mixers, vacuums, etc. may deteriorate when returned to 110 voltage use. Many appliances are now available in dual voltage; they simply require an adapter which can be purchased locally. Don't discard your lamps. If your quarters are wired for 220v, all you need is an adapter, which can be purchased locally for a nominal cost and a 220v light bulb to use the lamps here.

Important documents you should hand carry
Your orders- have multiple copies

Medical Records- Immunization records and medical/dental history for yourself and each family member

Legal Documents:

  • Marriage certificates and/or divorce decrees
  • Passports- both "No-fee" and tourist passports (all travelers must have a passport, regardless of age)
  • Birth Certificates and Social security cards
  • Wills, Powers of attorney
  • School records
  • Car documents- Title, Shipping documents, Registration, Insurance policy, Valid Driver's License (your driver's license must remain valid for the duration of your tour in order to get a valid USAREUR driver's license- regardless of your state's military exemptions.)
  • Household goods shipping inventory
  • Employment records
  • Credit cards
  • Copy of your last leave and earnings statement

Privately-owned vehicles
U.S. Customs requires personnel to have a copy of the title to their vehicle when shipping it overseas. The title must include the vehicle identification number (VIN) or, if the vehicle does not have a VIN, the product identification number. If there's a lien on the vehicle, there must be written approval from the lien holder. Contact your lender as soon as you get orders to prevent last minute problems.

Vehicles are shipped to the Mainz-Kastel Vehicle Processing Center, a ten minute drive from Wiesbaden Army Airfield. It's important that personnel notify the transportation office upon arrival. Additional information about shipping your vehicle can be found at the PCSmyPOV website.

Your car must pass an inspection for safety, condition and reliability. It is recommended that any needed repairs be completed prior to shipping your car to Germany. Labor and parts are very expensive and parts may take extended time to arrive in Germany. Check vehicles for rust, chips, cracks in the windshield and oil leaks. Inoperative lights, horn, speedometer, window tinting and other items can prevent your car from passing inspection. You are required to have an authorized first aid kit in your car at all times. Be sure to purchase this kit prior to your car inspection- your car will pass inspection without it. Kits are sold at the AAFES shopettes and at local auto supply stores. Seek assistance from your unit sponsor or vehicle registration for additional information.

Car Insurance
Germany has a high cost of living. Prices for auto insurance are especially expensive. Variables include your age, the car's age, engine size, make, model and weight. German liability insurance, which is mandatory, ranges from 400 to 1,000 Euros per year. Shop around when purchasing insurance.

Driver's licenses
The minimum age for driving in Germany is 17. Service Members, U.S. Civilian employees, and Family members must have a stateside license or a country license to obtain a USAREUR license. Prior to departing the U.S., ensure your stateside driver's license is current and not near expiration- your USAREUR license is only valid with a valid, non- expired stateside driver's license. Personnel must hold a USAREUR POV Certificate of License in order to operate a private automobile. Individuals are no longer permitted to use a military license in lieu of a valid state or country license to obtain a U.S. Forces POV Certificate of License for any class. Prior to arriving, it is recommended that you study for the driver's license exam. Download the Drivers Handbook and Examination Manual for Germany or USAREUR Practice Test and Study Guide. The laws and street signs are different than in the U.S. and can be confusing. Personnel requiring child care during the driver's orientation and test may utilize hourly slots at the Child Development Center on a space available basis; however, children must be registered through Central Enrollment in order to use hourly care. If you do not have a valid license you will be considered a "novice" and must go through German licensing procedures to obtain a license. The process is very lengthy and expensive. A German driver's license costs approximately 2,000 Euros.

Child safety seats
Car seat requirements are different in Germany than in the U.S. All children under 12 years of age who are smaller than 4'11" or weigh less than 50 pounds must use an approved child seat or booster seat. Children up to 36 months or up to 40 pounds must use a car seat. Children ages 3 to 11 or 33 to 80 pounds must use a booster seat. Failure to use these devices may result in a fine and/or loss of your driving privileges. Please bring these items with you as the lending closet by regulation is NOT able to loan these items.

Gasoline is a rationed item in Germany. Depending on how many drivers and vehicles are registered with your family will determine the amount of gas you can purchase from the Army and Air Force Exchange Service. Gas is good quality and purchased in liters instead of gallons. Although there are two AAFES gas stations that service the community, you will be issued an ESSO card to be able to purchase gas at specific gas stations on the economy. The ESSO card allows you to pay the same AAFES contracted rate that you would pay on post. Without, you could pay up to $5 a gallon at a German gas station. Your ESSO card is only valid in the country in which you are stationed. Personal travel outside of Germany will require you to pay local gas prices. ESSO cards are available for rental cars by visiting the MP station for initial approval.

In Germany, there is an import ban on specific dogs that are considered dangerous or "fighting dogs." Due to dog attacks on humans, the German state and federal governments have banned the following breeds from being brought into Germany: Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire-Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Bull Terrier. Dogs of other breeds may also not be imported from another country if they are considered dangerous by the regulations where the dog will primarily live. Although each state in Germany maintains their own regulations on what dogs are banned, the most popular breeds that regularly appear on these lists include the American Bulldog, Bullmastiff, Mastiff and Pitbull Bandog.
Germany does not quarantine animals but requires a health certificate which cannot be more than 10 days old. Rabies vaccinations must be at least 30 days old and not more than one year old. Your local veterinarian can provide information and the USAG Wiesbaden Veterinary website has essential PCSing with pet information.

Exceptional Family Member Program
Everyone on orders to Europe must complete an Exceptional Family Member Program screening before dependent travel will be authorized. For information regarding the EFMP screening, contact your local medical facility or EFMP Coordinator at your local ACS. Click USAG Wiesbaden EFMP for local information.

Defense Service Network (DSN) Dialing Instructions
The DSN is the provider of long-distance communications service for the Department of Defense (DoD). Every installation has a special DSN number and the numbers vary by world-wide location. In order to place a call using DSN, the caller must be using a military phone on an installation. Cell phones cannot dial DSN numbers. When dialing a DSN number from a United States installation to another United States installation, it is unnecessary to dial the DSN 312 area code. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included. The operator can be reached at commercial (719) 567-1110. Please note that long distance charges may be incurred.

When calling a civilian number from the United States, dial the international code (011), country code and drop the first zero. e.g. 011 49 611 XXX-XXXX

From other countries dial the international code (00), country code (49) drop the zero. e.g. 00 49 611 XXX-XXXX

334-2XXX (06134) 604 + LAST 3
334-4XXX (0611) 508 + LAST 3
335-5XXX (0611) 4080 + LAST 3
336-XXXX (0611) 816-XXXX
337-XXXX (0611) 705-XXXX
338-7XXX (0611) 380-XXXX
347-3XXX (06155) 603-XXX
537-XXXX (0611) 143-537-XXXX
546-XXXX (0611) 143-546-XXXX
548-XXXX (0611) 143-548-XXXX
570-XXXX (0611) 9744-XXXX

Explore the links to the left for in-depth information.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline