printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Fast Facts


Location:  Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, adjacent to Anchorage, is the largest installation in Alaska and home of the Air Force's Headquarters, Alaskan Command; Alaskan NORAD Region; Eleventh Air Force (11 AF); and the 3rd Wing (3 WG), as well as the Army's U.S. Army Alaska (USARAK); the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division (4-25th ABCT).


Cost of Living: JBER, adjacent to Anchorage, Alaska, is a high cost area. The national average is 100 and Anchorage is at 117.

BRAC Status: Elmendorf Air Force Base and Fort Richardson were realigned to form Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER) which became fully operational on 1 October 2010.

Base Operator: 907-384-1110 or DSN 317-384-1110


Active Duty Population

Joint Base-Elmendorf 5703
Joint Base-Richardson 5935

Area Population: Anchorage 300,950 (2013), Alaska's largest city.

Child Care: You may pick up a list of Family Day Care Homes at the Central Registration office. Call Central Registration at 907-384-1510/2514. The Central Registration Office is located on JBER-Richardson, Building 6, Chillkoot Ave. For more specific information on the Child Development Centers and programs offered, please visit the Force Support Squadron website.

Schools: There are no Department of Defense schools on JBER. The schools on base are operated by the Anchorage School District. The Anchorage School District has a wide variety of programs and schools that serve our 50,029 students.  State of Alaska law and school district policy governs all of the schools in the area. Thus programs and services are similar from school to school.

JBER has five elementary schools located on the installation: Aurora Elementary, Mount Spurr Elementary, Orion Elementary, Ursa Major Elementary and Ursa Minor Elementary. For more information about resources for military families in the school district visit the Resources for Military Families web page. For information on schools in the Mat-Su Valley area visit the Mat-Su Borough School District website.

Youth Services: The Youth Services programs offer a range of positive activities that promotes healthy development for youth. The centers feature a gym, game room, sports program, snack bar, coordinated activities, regular field trips, annual events and a wide variety of clubs for school age children to enjoy.

The JBER Youth Programs include two separate sites: Kennecott Youth Center and Two Rivers Youth Center. Call 552-2266 or 384-1508 for more information or visit the Force Support Squadron website.

Family Center:
Military & Family Readiness Center
DSN: 317-552-4943

Army Community Service
DSN: 317-384-1517

Housing: All military housing at JBER is privatized and operated by Aurora Military Housing. Visit their website for information on privatized on-base housing, unaccompanied housing and housing in the local community. This website serves as the one-stop shop for military members and their families to obtain information about available housing options and support services. Also visit Automated Housing Referral Network for additional services.

Even though JBER has over 3,162 housing units, the waiting list varies based on families' needs and time of year. The Joint Base-Elmendorf housing phone number is 907-753-1023 and the Joint Base-Richardson housing phone number is 907-357-5515.

Employment: Anchorage has a diversified economy with the primary focuses being health care, natural resource extraction and development, international trade, government/military, construction, transportation, education and tourism. Local employment opportunities can be accessed from the Alaska Job Center Network. For information about employment opportunities on base, contact your base Family Center. The unemployment rate in Anchorage is 6.1% (seasonally adjusted). The median household income was $71,700 in 2011.

Base Services: 

Medical Services: Health Services at JBER are excellent. Most services and specialties are available at the Medical Group or through arrangements with civilian agencies by way of TRICARE. All of Alaska falls under the TRICARE West Region. Access to care instructions can be found by visiting the 673d Medical Group Fact Sheet or by calling the hospital information line at 907-580-6260. The phone number for the Central Appointment Line is 907-580-2778.

There are two local community hospitals:
Providence Alaska Medical Center
3200 Providence Drive
24-hour Emergency Room

Alaska Regional Hospital
2801 DeBarr Road
24-hour Emergency Room

Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) ensures Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens have the tools and resources to register to vote and request an absentee ballot, regardless of their state of residence. The Voting Assistance Guide (VAG) is a reference guide for everything you need to know about absentee voting in all 50 States, territories and the District of Columbia.

Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) The Voting Assistance Guide is available at: Select your state to find your local election office’s contact information.

Voting forms are available at:

Special Messages:

Defense Service Network Dialing Instructions

The DSN is the provider of long-distance communications service for the Department of Defense. Every installation has a special DSN number and the numbers vary by world-wide location. In order to place a call using DSN, the caller must be using a military phone on an installation. Cell phones cannot dial DSN numbers. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included. The operator can be reached at commercial 907-384-1110. Please note that long distance charges may be incurred. DSN for Alaska is 317.

Family Member Travel: Concurrent travel means you have permission, from your unit commander, to bring your spouse and family with you at the same time you travel to Alaska. You must have all of your authorized family members listed on your PCS orders to do concurrent travel. To arrive in Alaska without approved concurrent travel creates a huge financial burden on you. GET CONCURRENT TRAVEL PERMISSION BEFORE YOUR PCS ORDERS ARE PUBLISHED AND PRINTED. Contact your losing installations local Military Personnel Flight or Military Personnel Division (S1), Relocations/Outbound Assignments section.

If you get married before you relocate, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures.

Border Crossing: If you are driving to Alaska, and/or crossing the Canadian border at any point, you will be required to have Passports for all family members. Military service members with orders, military ID and valid driver's license will not need a passport.

Explore the links to the left for in-depth information.

Need personal assistance?

Call your relocation manager »

Or, for 24/7 assistance, call Military OneSource. », No question is too big or too small 800-342-9647

Military OneSource Newsletter Subscriptions button

Plan My Move, Take control of your PCS move

Do you have orders?

Request a Sponsor »

Additional Resources

  • Expand Housing TreeHousing
  • Expand Household Goods TreeHousehold Goods
  • Expand Local Community TreeLocal Community
  • Expand Financial Planning TreeFinancial Planning
  • Expand Employment TreeEmployment
  • Expand Child Care TreeChild Care
  • Expand Education TreeEducation
  • Expand MWR TreeMWR
  • Expand Special Circumstances TreeSpecial Circumstances

Military Crisis Line

Safe Helpline